Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th December 2017, 10:19   #2536
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti Baleno : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvm View Post
From there, when we started, the car stalled several times in 1st gear. It refused to move on plain ground without A-pedal input. This was unexpected for me since it did not have this problem when starting from the showroom. Now after going halfway to my friend's home, we switched seats and he began to drive with me riding shotgun. He too felt that the car did not inch ahead much with only clutch disengaged - it also needed A-pedal tap.
I understand that poor low-end torque is part of N/A petrol engine DNA (compared to diesels) but I never thought K12 in Swift/Baleno had this problem on flat/plain surfaces.
Can anybody help me with this? Is this part of running-in period of the engine? Will it be better after say 1000-2000 kms?
Not having Baleno, but K12 powered Swift. Off idle, there is slight lack of torque, its just something getting used to. Even today, I manage to stall the car occasionally. Once the car starts rolling, problem is sorted out. My view is to give the car 1000-2000 kms. as you have mentioned. After engine warms up, idling RPM is pretty low and this could be the reason for stalling. With engine at operating temperature, my car idles at 600 rpm without AC and 750 RPM with AC.

Unless you face noticeable lack of power across wider RPM range, there is nothing to worry about.
aaggoswami is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st December 2017, 01:20   #2537
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvm View Post
My friend took delivery of his Baleno Delta Petrol yesterday from Varun Nexa Bangalore. I went along with him for the delivery.
I've put the booking experience in this post.

Since he was driving after a very long time, he requested me to drive the car in the dense traffic from the showroom to the nearest petrol pump. Everything was fine till the petrol pump (Shell). From there, when we started, the car stalled several times in 1st gear. It refused to move on plain ground without A-pedal input. This was unexpected for me since it did not have this problem when starting from the showroom. Now after going halfway to my friend's home, we switched seats and he began to drive with me riding shotgun. He too felt that the car did not inch ahead much with only clutch disengaged - it also needed A-pedal tap.
I understand that poor low-end torque is part of N/A petrol engine DNA (compared to diesels) but I never thought K12 in Swift/Baleno had this problem on flat/plain surfaces.
Can anybody help me with this? Is this part of running-in period of the engine? Will it be better after say 1000-2000 kms?

P.S: I've driven torquey engine/cars so far - Figo Diesel, Ritz Diesel, Zest Petrol (turbocharged). Also drove Tiago petrol for a short while in dense traffic. Never encountered the above issue in any of these cars.
Take it to the workshop and have the clutch play checked and adjusted. The engine tends to stall more easily at crawling speeds, but the clutch play can make it a lot worse if it isn't correct.
chncar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2018, 09:16   #2538
BHPian

Completed a holiday trip to Kerala from Pune in my 2016 Baleno Alpha petrol, and came back quite impressed with its highway manners. Quite steady and smooth at good speeds ( I was expecting the light weight to create some problems ), and a pleasure to drive, as long as you are not in a great hurry.

I did miss the extra kick my i20 Diesel gives when you push it for overtaking maneuvers, but other than that no complaints. Handled bad roads with aplomb, and kids who were in the backseat were quite happy at the end of the journey.

No rattles reported at the end of the 3000km drive, and I got an overall FE of around 20.5 kmpl on the display, this inspite of driving mostly in the 100-110 kph range on the highways, and negotiating slow traffic while in Kerala.

Loved the free-revving engine with its sporty note when pushed. It is no scorcher, but quite peppy in real-world conditions. Its only on the six-lane stretches that I missed a bit of extra kick.

Good headlights were a boon too as I did a fair bit of night driving .
Bigzero is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th January 2018, 11:55   #2539
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy07 View Post
Back from 1500 kms trip to Bangalore-Mysore-Puttaparthy

My Zeta CVT performed flawlessly throughout the journey

During the fag end of the trip, we started hearing a 'hiss-hiss-kurr-kurr' sound from the A/C. The sound is very similar to grinding noise.

What could be the issue?

The roads were pretty bad during the return journey from Mysore to Bangalore via Kanakapura.

Quoting my post

I had been to MSM yesterday to get the A/C issue diagnosed.

Yes, they acknowledge that something is amiss with the A/C.

The moment I switch on the A/C, I hear a faint not so pleasing sound from the left most vent. The sound is something similar like 'hoosh-hoosh'.

Also, when the car is driven over bad roads, we can hear a loose bolt/screw noise from the same left most A/C vent.

The SA at MSM says that the entire dashboard needs to be removed to check the root cause and he's isn't too comfortable doing this as the car is just 18 months old.

I'm still not sure as to how this issue suddenly came up

Yes, the roads between Bangalore-Mysore are not great, but could dropping the car over couple of potholes create this issue?

BHPians - Need your inputs/analysis
Old 5th January 2018, 12:01   #2540
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The SA at MSM says that the entire dashboard needs to be removed to check the root cause and he's isn't too comfortable doing this as the car is just 18 months old.
You car is under warranty and it's their responsibility to find the root cause and fix it regardless of how comfortable he is. If they are not comfortable, give it to a better service center. With Maruti, you are never short of choice with regards to competent service centers.
Old 5th January 2018, 12:04   #2541
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
You car is under warranty and it's their responsibility to find the root cause and fix it regardless of how comfortable he is. If they are not comfortable, give it to a better service center. With Maruti, you are never short of choice with regards to competent service centers.
I agree. But, the SA says once the dashboard is completely stripped, they can never achieve factory fit.
Old 5th January 2018, 12:13   #2542
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I agree. But, the SA says once the dashboard is completely stripped, they can never achieve factory fit.
Escalate it to Maruti. Tell them that their dealership is not competent enough to re-fit the dashboard the same way as it comes out of the factory.
amalji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2018, 15:43   #2543
BHPian

Completed 2nd year 20K paid service yesterday. Even though my car has run only ~8K, followed the service as per the schedule for warranty purposes. Avoided wheel balancing and alignment, probably will get it done outside.

There used to be a jerk when clutch is depressed in 1st and 2nd gears, now that is completely disappeared(after a run of 6-7K Kms). Only a small annoying issue remaining is the rattle from rear parcel shelf when going over uneven roads.

Total cost was Rs 5.8K and in that ~2.9K was labour part itself.
Old 7th January 2018, 16:36   #2544
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The moment I switch on the A/C, I hear a faint not so pleasing sound from the left most vent. The sound is something similar like 'hoosh-hoosh'.
I have noticed the same today. I am sure it was not there before. Planning to get it checked in few days at service centre.
Old 7th January 2018, 19:56   #2545
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
I have noticed the same today. I am sure it was not there before. Planning to get it checked in few days at service centre.
Have you checked if turning the circulation mode on or off fixes the issue ?

Last edited by Eddy : 7th January 2018 at 20:12. Reason: u=you
Old 7th January 2018, 21:28   #2546
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathish81 View Post
Have you checked if turning the circulation mode on or off fixes the issue ?
No it doesn't. The sound is always there from left most vent. I thought AC blower initially, but no sound if I completely close the left vent. I will try to record the sound and post it.

Last edited by Dr.Naren : 7th January 2018 at 21:29.
Old 7th January 2018, 22:21   #2547
BHPian

Quote:
No it doesn't. The sound is always there from left most vent. I thought AC blower initially, but no sound if I completely close the left vent. I will try to record the sound and post it.
Vacuuming the vent also doesn't fix it ?
I can think of 2 possiblities
- HVAC air flap motor getting struck in weird position- which you ruled out.
-some packing material has become loose or some external object in vent airflow path.

Last edited by Aditya : 9th January 2018 at 08:38. Reason: u -> you. Please avoid use of SMS lingo in your posts
Old 8th January 2018, 09:27   #2548

Got our silver alpha CVT towards the end of December. Been on a 1200km trip this weekend and the car performed absolutely well. Everyone liked the car at home

-Smooth drive, easily can cruise at 120 for a long time
-The headlamps are brilliant
- the mid showed 23kmpl on my return from trichy to Chennai cruising at 90
- android auto integration
- free revving engine
- performed well over bad roads between Madurai and rajapalayam

Dislikes
- you don't really hear the engine note till 3500.
- the sport mode does nothing except holding the rpm at 4k
-the egress for elderly is a bit difficult
-the missing low end torque
- rubber bad effect at low gears especially, but livable for a city

The car though holds stable at 160, but brakes does not inspire confidence to take it beyond 120. If you are sedate driver who would be happy to cruise all day under 120. Unlike many comments I received, the car remained rock solid and planted with higher speeds. Overall happy with her so far. Planning to put a ownership report sometime soon.
Old 8th January 2018, 10:18   #2549
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathish81 View Post
Vacuuming the vent also doesn't fix it ?
I can think of 2 possiblities
I got to check it properly today. My initial diagnosis was right. It is not the vent. The AC blower is located below the left most vent and sound is coming from there. I removed the glovebox and easily localised the sound. I have also taken video and captured it. Please use headphones

audioholic has explained this and posted about DIY cleaning in Wagon R here
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-do...on-blower.html
Dr.Naren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2018, 15:08   #2550
BHPian

Quote:
I got to check it properly today. My initial diagnosis was right. It is not the vent. The AC blower is located below the left most vent and sound is coming from there.
Hi Naren - Thanks for the analysis.

So, do you mean to say that cleaning the blower will solve the problem?

Also, is the blower in Baleno located in the same position as mentioned in audioholic's DIY thread?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks