Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st February 2018, 13:04   #2596
BHPian

Re: Maruti Baleno : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highh5 View Post
Yes, experiencing this for a while. Rattle from B-pillar from where the seat belt pop out, another one either from dashboard just around the instrumentation console, another one from the driver side sun visor and on off from the parcel tray. My odo is currently around 23k, asked the service adviser to look into the rattles during Fourth paid service, but they didn't pay any heeds to the complaint. And as you said it comes only when you go through the rough patches, that's the only relief I had.
I also thought its coming from seat belt knob mounted on pillar B. But after thoroughly checking the same during 4th service they tightened all screws, padding, gaskets for the doors and problem solved. Hope this helps.
souvik25 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2018, 18:22   #2597
BHPian

Looking forward to seek help from Baleno owners.
We have recently shortlisted Baleno Alpha CVT, however during test drive, a small question arose...and apparently we have lined up MISL as well but to no conclusion.
The query goes like this, In Baleno CVT there is a S mode on the lever and is active to use in D mode in order to have a sporty response (it does incrase the rpm of the vehicle).
Similarly, it has L mode as well, that too increases the rpm of the vehicle (often used for overtaking purpose). Then what is the fun of S mode working in L.
Is it just a gimmick or a flow to design?
Looking forward for an answer n thanks in anticipation.
Old 2nd February 2018, 19:11   #2598
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by absnation View Post
We have recently shortlisted Baleno Alpha CVT, however during test drive, a small question arose...and apparently we have lined up MISL as well but to no conclusion.
The query goes like this, In Baleno CVT there is a S mode on the lever and is active to use in D mode in order to have a sporty response (it does incrase the rpm of the vehicle).
Similarly, it has L mode as well, that too increases the rpm of the vehicle (often used for overtaking purpose). Then what is the fun of S mode working in L.
L mode is mainly to keep the car in the lowest gear possible for engine braking or hill climbing and maximum torque whereas the S mode is for sports and delivering Maximum acceleration keeping revs optimum (may not be near the redline).
P.S I own a baleno delta automatic and find using D with S the best to get a move on.
Old 2nd February 2018, 19:19   #2599
BHPian

Quote:
Like aptly explained in the previous post, the L mode will keep the transmission fixed to a lower gear to aid in climbing or descending slopes by providing extra torque.

S mode is to be used on expressways, for example, where you can rev the engine to higher levels and enjoy the higher power up the rev band.
Old 2nd February 2018, 19:41   #2600
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhruvritzed View Post
L mode is mainly to keep the car in the lowest gear possible for engine braking or hill climbing and maximum torque whereas the S mode is for sports and delivering Maximum acceleration keeping revs optimum (may not be near the redline).
P.S I own a baleno delta automatic and find using D with S the best to get a move on.

Thanks for your prompt reply.
As per the information gathered by myself through the service manual of Baleno, the function of S mode is explained as under....
"S mode control provdes for optimum driving with higher gear ratio that enables climbing with higher engine speed when going up a hill and light engine brake effect when descending a hill. S mode switch is momentary type and fitted on the select lever."

and the L mode has been explained as....
"L Mode (Lock-up control) for engaging the lock-up clutch in the torque converter, shifting is controlled to eliminate slippage of the converter and increase transmission efficiency. In addition, slip control at lock-up clutch provides comfortable driving."

My query:
1. If both are engaged what is the effect on engine?
2. As per the instruction manual S is working momentarily. If working momentarily, then shouldn't it disappear from the display pannel?

Thanks.
Old 3rd February 2018, 00:01   #2601
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for your prompt reply.

My query:
1. If both are engaged what is the effect on engine?
2. As per the instruction manual S is working momentarily. If working momentarily, then shouldn't it disappear from the display pannel?

Thanks.
In my 4 months and 3000km of experience with my Baleno CVT, even I was a bit confused with these modes and upon using them and fiddling with them frequently, I observed the following things in accordance to the instructions mentioned in the owner's manual:
L mode engages at speeds only below 30 kmph(approx) and is best suited for inclines with load and co passengers and also on inclines with traffic where we need quick acceleration with minimal accelerator input (1-2 gear combination). We can directly shift back to D upon gaining speed.
If D with sports mode to L: the S indicator will still be shown but I didn't observe any difference in the response and might be designed to keep the S mode retained upon shifting back to D from L
S mode will be disengaged only upon pressing the button again and restarting (is it what they might have meant by the word momentarily?) the engine.
-- Aniruddh
Old 3rd February 2018, 09:20   #2602
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolguy_ani View Post
In my 4 months and 3000km of experience with my Baleno CVT, even I was a bit confused with these modes and upon using them and fiddling with them frequently, I observed the following things in accordance to the instructions mentioned in the owner's manual:
L mode engages at speeds only below 30 kmph(approx) and is best suited for inclines with load and co passengers and also on inclines with traffic where we need quick acceleration with minimal accelerator input (1-2 gear combination). We can directly shift back to D upon gaining speed.
If D with sports mode to L: the S indicator will still be shown but I didn't observe any difference in the response and might be designed to keep the S mode retained upon shifting back to D from L
S mode will be disengaged only upon pressing the button again and restarting (is it what they might have meant by the word momentarily?) the engine.
-- Aniruddh

Thanks Aniruddh.
That's the point, why doesn't the S goes off from the display when we turn the action lever from D to L.
Going by your verses, if there is no significant response from the engine when both L & S are in action, S should practically go off.
Guess there is a flaw in the mechanism of Baleno CVT. Still in a misconception regarding making a correct decision, CVT or manual?
Old 3rd February 2018, 11:27   #2603
BHPian

Quote:
-- Aniruddh
S mode appears to inject a richer fuel mixture to engine. I use it the following way:
Normal city driving- use "D" mode
Highway driving,single carriageway- D mode, use S mode when overtaking
Highway driving, dual carriage way- D mode mostly. Use "s" on winding stretches.
L- hills

L+S mode- use in hills for steep turns or when you have come to stand still on incline.
sathish81 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2018, 13:23   #2604
BHPian

Quote:
Going by your verses, if there is no significant response from the engine when both L & S are in action, S should practically go off.
Guess there is a flaw in the mechanism of Baleno CVT. Still in a misconception regarding making a correct decision, CVT or manual?
I don't think this could be considered a flaw with the mechanism but I would not have preferred a setup where in after shifting back to D from L, I have to turn S mode again. And imo, you can also consider this a small issue if it actually does seem to you so because the S mode does improve the throttle response. I could explain it in the following way:
The engine is usually at a relaxed 1300 rpm at 80kph. To overtake(downshifting), there are two options 1> push down the accelerator pedal considerably and it will increase the ratio and thus the rpm to almost 2200 rpm, good enough for a normal overtake 2> engage the sports mode and it will bump the engine speed directly to 3200rpm approx by which the engine doesn't exactly turn into a beast, but it retains the ratio at the maximum torque levels by which the overtakes are brisker than what I could get in a manual by downshifting. I would suggest you to take a longish test drive of the CVT and take an appropriate descision.
koolguy_ani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2018, 17:40   #2605
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathish81 View Post
S mode appears to inject a richer fuel mixture to engine. I use it the following way:
Normal city driving- use "D" mode
Highway driving,single carriageway- D mode, use S mode when overtaking
Highway driving, dual carriage way- D mode mostly. Use "s" on winding stretches.
L- hills

L+S mode- use in hills for steep turns or when you have come to stand still on incline.
Quote:
I don't think this could be considered a flaw with the mechanism but I would not have preferred a setup where in after shifting back to D from L, I have to turn S mode again. And imo, you can also consider this a small issue if it actually does seem to you so because the S mode does improve the throttle response. I could explain it in the following way:
The engine is usually at a relaxed 1300 rpm at 80kph. To overtake(downshifting), there are two options 1> push down the accelerator pedal considerably and it will increase the ratio and thus the rpm to almost 2200 rpm, good enough for a normal overtake 2> engage the sports mode and it will bump the engine speed directly to 3200rpm approx by which the engine doesn't exactly turn into a beast, but it retains the ratio at the maximum torque levels by which the overtakes are brisker than what I could get in a manual by downshifting. I would suggest you to take a longish test drive of the CVT and take an appropriate descision.
Thanks @sathish81 & koolguy_ani.

@sathish81 : Guess ur mode of usage of CVT is the most optimal in comparison to one explained by the SA@NEXA...!

@koolguy_ani : I guess I again need to take the demo CVT for a long spin before making a final call. Else making a decision in haste I would again have to re-iterate my decision and again the waiting time would extend by 4-6 weeks even for petrol which is again something I don't go well with.
Old 4th February 2018, 14:03   #2606
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolhead_chn View Post
If you understand this and are confident about the driving skills of the driver please go for Baleno. Loads of features, space, affordability and styling.
All the best.
Quote:
Originally Posted by knownstrangerr View Post
My suggestion do the math n compare benefits and needs and decide which one is more ideal buy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anirudh_85 View Post
All the best with your search! Let us know what you finally decided on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
I am very happy about ride quality/suspension, no complaints from this area at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
His car has been 'almost' rattle free till now. But so was my WagonR till that moment and the rattles started creeping in post 30k.
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_himan View Post
Same here. Very happy with the ride quality. I have been Uber for my work now for 7 months and I must say, it's definitely as good, if not better as the Xcent/Etios/last gen DZire. Head and shoulders above the Wagon R.
Quote:
Originally Posted by amvj View Post

Baleno cons as per my views:
Very light build (metal panels)
Interior plastics are also very light and bendy
Panel gaps are not consistent and some of the places have huge gaps (boot door)
Brakes are not good enough
Ugly alloy wheels

Baleno Pros:
Silent engine (Manual - especially during idle)
Fuel efficient
spacious
Feature rich (UV cut glass, Andriod and Apply car play)
Good illumination from Head lamps (Top end model)
Thank you guys for all your inputs! Finally I booked Ford Figo DCT wearing Oxford white! Got a sweet deal on 2017 car. More than it, 1.5Ltr engine, DCT over TC, CVT, and all safety features like airbags, ABS, EBD, TC, hill assist etc sealed the deal for me. I do own 5.5 yr old Figo TDCi which also played a role in choosing this not so popular car.
This new gen Figo looks gorgeous in white, has loads of space, rides and handles well, comes with powerful engine and better gearbox in the segment.
Though interiors are bland, lacks features like Touchscreen, reverse parking camera, keyless entry etc I can live without them.
StepUP! is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2018, 13:07   #2607
BHPian

I got the 5th year extended warranty for my 2016 Baleno Zeta CVT during the weekend.

Cost - Rs 5910/-
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Baleno : Official Review-baleno-fifth-year-ext-warranty.jpg  

Prodigy07 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2018, 15:19   #2608
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks @sathish81 & koolguy_ani.

@sathish81 : Guess ur mode of usage of CVT is the most optimal in comparison to one explained by the SA@NEXA...!

@koolguy_ani : I guess I again need to take the demo CVT for a long spin before making a final call. Else making a decision in haste I would again have to re-iterate my decision and again the waiting time would extend by 4-6 weeks even for petrol which is again something I don't go well with.
absnation, I think you're overthinking it. My prior ownership AT vehicles were 2 Torque Converters (Accord and i10), and my current vehicles have DSG and CVT (Baleno Alpha).

I can count on my fingers the number of times i used "L" specifically over the last 8 years. In most cases, D or S would suffice. Suzuki's CVT also has good manual braking. So downhills are not a problem like Torque Converters.

I'm very happy with the ride quality and the even the responsiveness of this CVT in normal aggressive city driving.You would need to slightly change your driving habits - will happen in a week. Yes, it's no DSG in responsiveness, but makes up for it in smoothness and hopefully in reliability (in all likelihood..given its a tried and tested JATCO CVT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VEA View Post

I also have an ergonomic concern in this car, which otherwise is very good in that department. I feel the accelarator and brake pedals should have been more offset to the right as is the case with most automatics. There is a loud hiss coming from the brake pads/shoes while braking from day one of ownership. Sounds exactly like those bicycle brakes.

. I am yet to check the tyre pressure I am running on. I had a look down at the rear suspension and noticed that the rear shock absorbers are F30, while the springs are F40. Is this expected in a December 2017 manufactured vehicle? Yet to find the stickers on the rest of the suspension components.
Hi VEA, I suggest you adjust the seat fore-aft/height until your right foot feels comfortable, the left anyway would be on the dead pedal. Post that adjust the reach and rake of the steering. You should hopefully be comfortable...

The brake hiss is abnormal. Do get it checked ASAP.

The suspension should be new, given that I have new ones and I took delivery in mid-October. I'm 100% sure the ride harshness is due to high tyre pressure. I put 30 psi all around, and couldn't be happier with the ride quality.

Last edited by Jaggu : 5th February 2018 at 16:06. Reason: Back to back posts, please use Multi Quote [Quote+] instead. Thanks.
Old 5th February 2018, 16:41   #2609
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VEA View Post
There is a loud hiss coming from the brake pads/shoes while braking from day one of ownership. Sounds exactly like those bicycle brakes.
I have the same issue. The sound does not impact braking performance, but is an irritant.

The Service centers tried their best but were not able to eliminate it completely. It appears from time to time now, especially after it is driven on wet surfaces.
Old 5th February 2018, 21:03   #2610
VEA
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dheepak10 View Post
It appears from time to time now, especially after it is driven on wet surfaces.
Since you posted this, I took the car for a wash. I am hearing all sort of noises from the brakes since the wash. The source is the rear drums. I am able to isolate it since the noise has turned into ‘sshhhh’ sound from the ‘hiss’ when the brakes are wet. I also observe the rear wheels are locking up whenever I brake on a loose surface, but the front wheels arent. Perhaps the rear shoes needs some adjusting, or it requires more wear for an even braking. Since the brakes do not lack power, I thought will wait and complain during the first service.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks