Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th June 2019, 12:04   #3076

Re: Maruti Baleno : Official Review

I own a 6 month old Baleno Petrol CVT Alpha with 2.9k on the odo. It’s manufactured in Nov 2018 and up for second service in a few weeks.

I have been facing a weird and extremely annoying issue. For the first couple of weeks (upto 300 kms) everything was fine. After that, the car pickup, performance & driving character reduced drastically all of a sudden. During low speeds the car becomes very lethargic and simply refuses to pickup properly unless given hard acceleration. The accelerator stiffens up considerably during this time making it very difficult to press it. It's as if something is holding back the car and it feels like a heavy truck. If I try to press the accelerator lightly, there is no acceleration/response at all. I will have to press the gas pedal really hard. The engine groans and moans then after sometime the rpm shoots up from 1.3k to 2.2k and I can feel a jerk in the car movement.

Once it crosses 30kmph it drives ok. But whenever I slow down at turnings or road humps and try to accelerate, it is a huge effort to get it going again. I often end up holding traffic behind me while my legs struggle to press the accelerator and the car struggles to accelerate.

This is not like the normal CVT rubber-band effect which I am well aware of.

I did multiple test drives of the Baleno CVT extensively under same driving conditions before buying and never felt this issue then. Even later, to double check, I drove several other Baleno CVTs and they all drove absolutely fine (apart from the usual rubber band effect). The accelerator was supple, pickup smooth and very easy to drive. It’s like driving a completely different car.

I have taken the car to service stations few times (nexa & non-nexa) and tried explaining the issue to them. But since there are no visual cues, they never seem to recognize or acknowledge the problem. First of all, the service advisors are not well versed with the CVT models. (One gentleman from Kalyani Nexa even said it has a 4 speed AT). I did manage to get them do a scanning, but it didn’t throw up any particular warning. I also got the wheels checked to ensure their free movement and also the hand brakes.

This issue has made it very difficult to drive my car within the city. My knees & ankles have started acting up from operating stiff gas pedal.

What could be the problem with my car? Has anyone else faced this issue and got it resolved from Maruti? I am completely stuck at this point and don’t know how to proceed further since I am not getting any help from the service people. Any input from you guys would be highly appreciated.

Thanks much!

P.S: Before the first service, the mileage was around 11.5 kmpl for first couple of full tanks. But in last few months it has dropped to around 10 kmpl with same driving conditions.
k2_4_u is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2019, 12:19   #3077
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2_4_u View Post
I have been facing a weird and extremely annoying issue. For the first couple of weeks (upto 300 kms) everything was fine. After that, the car pickup, performance & driving character reduced drastically all of a sudden. During low speeds the car becomes very lethargic and simply refuses to pickup properly unless given hard acceleration.
Hello,

Quick question - How's the movement between R-N-D? Do you find it little hard?

I had a very similar issue sometime back and the issue was with the CVT cable that was worn out due to a rat bite.

I got the CVT cable replaced for Rs 1200/ at the local MASS and the issue seems to have gone.
Prodigy07 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th June 2019, 13:42   #3078

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy07 View Post
Hello,

Quick question - How's the movement between R-N-D? Do you find it little hard?

I had a very similar issue sometime back and the issue was with the CVT cable that was worn out due to a rat bite.

I got the CVT cable replaced for Rs 1200/ at the local MASS and the issue seems to have gone.

It's not very hard, but neither butter smooth. I can feel a slight scratchiness while moving it. Nevertheless I will get this thing checked out immediately. Thanks for pointing out.
k2_4_u is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2019, 19:57   #3079
Senior - BHPian

Got my Baleno serviced at Sai service. This is 3rd year service and the cost came out to Rs7400.

They charged Rs 400 to cleanup area under wiper.
SA was trying to push for synthetic oil, but I said no since my usage is not very high.

My car is at 22k and SA told me that clutch seems to be little hard, and I would need to replace pressure plate at some point of time.

I was quite surprised since I mostly use Baleno for highway runs, has anyone else faced issues with clutch in Manual Baleno?
Old 29th June 2019, 11:51   #3080
BHPian

Has anyone updated the MID of Baleno alpha. The 2019 ,baleno's MID has a new design.
Old 29th June 2019, 12:39   #3081
BHPian

Is anybody using Idemitsu 0w-20 FULLY SYNTHETIC oil. If yes, can you tell me how is it going. Thinking of going for it for my car as none of these MSIL folks are interested to sell me fully synthetic oil
Old 29th June 2019, 12:51   #3082
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post

My car is at 22k and SA told me that clutch seems to be little hard, and I would need to replace pressure plate at some point of time.

I was quite surprised since I mostly use Baleno for highway runs, has anyone else faced issues with clutch in Manual Baleno?
IMHO, pressure plate life of 22k km is less even for city drives.

I have never faced this issue.
Currently running at 51k km with a mix of drive in city, highways, un-metaled roads and sub zero temperature.

You can compare this hard clutch feeling after driving another Baleno for reassurance.
Ashir is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2019, 07:35   #3083
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satishtv View Post
Has anyone updated the MID of Baleno alpha. The 2019 ,baleno's MID has a new design.
Alpha and Zeta’s MID are the same. Curious to know as how will it get updated. Is it through a diagnostic software ? I am interested for an update if they do
Abhi_abarth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2019, 11:28   #3084
BHPian

I am looking for a city runaround petrol car & have shortlisted the Baleno after test drives of Freestyle, i20, i10 Grand. Have the following questions regarding this & will be happy if existing owners can help me out.

1. No discount is being offered other than 5K corporate, checked with the 2 Nexa dealers in my city. Should I hold out or this is the norm for the Baleno ?
2. While can stretch for the Alpha, do not see much value after paying 60K extra, only UV cut glass seems useful. So have zeroed in on the Zeta 1.2 BS6 Petrol. Am I missing anything ? The car will be largely used by my driver to pick&drop the kids from school & occasionally by me & my wife for weekend errands.
3.The Nexa insurance (1 yr comprehensive + 3 yrs TP) seems expensive at 34000, checked the policybazar quotes for TataAIG,Royal Sundaram - similar IDV & 0 Dep is just 21000. Is there some catch ? Nexa is ok if I do not buy insurance from them
4. While color is a personal choice, would request suggestions between Magma Grey & Premium silver. Am looking for low maintenance color. There seems to be too many Magma Grey ones on the road.
5. For the accessories have shortlisted, mud flaps, body side molding, door sill guard. Anything missing that I should add ? Will give the 6K worth GA bundled package from Nexa a miss
6. Will opt for the 5 yrs extended warranty also for peace of mind

Last edited by goswami.j : 2nd July 2019 at 11:31.
goswami.j is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2019, 11:43   #3085
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goswami.j View Post
I am looking for a city runaround petrol car & have shortlisted the Baleno after test drives of Freestyle
Sharing my bits of info:
1. Check if BS4 variants are available in stock. There is a 15K discount on them.
2. Zeta variant offers more value. Alpha gets you LED headlamps, taillamps, UV cut glass. Not a definite necessity.
3. Ask for discounts on insurance. Most dealers will give. Else purchase from outside. Also check if you might need 3 year comprehensive instead of TP for 2,3 years.
4. Magma grey is a replacement for Granite grey in the 2019 facelift. The silver has become too common. Magma grey is already available in Dzire, Swift.
anthusiast is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2019, 18:24   #3086
BHPian

It's been a year and about 8k on the odo with my Alpha CVT. I think the car is great, it drivers very well, holds tight corners brilliantly and offers and very plush and comfortable ride. I've sat 4 adults in the back fairly non uncomfortably and the car has 'pulled' through quite well.

However the one thing that I'm still having troubles with is the driving posture. I am about 6 feet and of a wide build and I am just not finding a right driving position irrespective of all the available adjustment options.

I've tried going low, going high, going front, going back, but all to no avail. I either have bad lower / middle back pains, or I have cramps in my calves / thighs, or I have hurt my arms / shoulders. I've even tried 4-5 different lumbar support options from Amazon and none of them have worked for me.

Looks like I might have to just switch cars and for my height / build, I have to fall back on an SUV kind of car. I feel I have, compared to general population of my height, longer legs and shorter arms - which means I need to push the seat all the way back to get a comfortable leg position (but that affects my steering reach), or come in close - which cramps up my leg. Going low gives me a back ache, and going high messes up the frontal visibility as the roofline blocks the top part of my view of the road and traffic ahead and to the sides.

So in a nutshell, while I love the car and its practicality, it is of not much use if I am having trouble just driving it. Anyone else in my position who has found a way out? Or do I have to deal with having to switch the car and move to an SUV type?
herculesksp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2019, 18:36   #3087
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by herculesksp View Post

I feel I have, compared to general population of my height, longer legs and shorter arms -
Since you own a ALPHA, I am sure you have tried steering adjustment for reach. Apart from that maybe you can play around a bit with your seat recline angle to improve reach.
Old 4th July 2019, 06:33   #3088
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by herculesksp View Post
Anyone else in my position who has found a way out? Or do I have to deal with having to switch the car and move to an SUV type?
Faced the same when I bought it last December. Mainly appears to be because I was pushing the seat back more than required. It was at least in my case. A service person gave me few tips which really helped me.
  • Empty your pockets (bulky wallet / cellphone etc.). As in yoga, here also they will tense the muscles which in turn may give you tension in thighs/nerves.
  • Push your bottom as close as you can to the back of your seat. For seat position, start with seat completely in front, and push back up to a point, where your thighs are completely resting on the seat and no gap. Usually our hip and knee will be at same level when we do this.
  • Adjust the recliner such that your spine is straight. And your entire back touches the seat. Even while turning the steering, our shoulder should be still in touch with the seat.
  • Headrest should be of same height as top of our head. Though never found much difference.
  • Place your hand on top of the steering wheel and if the hands are straight, then distance is correct. Bottom of the steering wheel 4-5 inch above our leg.

While the headrest didn't gave comfort, all others have made a big difference in my driving comfort. Basically we have to get the back (seat recliner)/thighs(seat front/back positioning)/hand(steering and seat up/down positioning) combo correctly. I am 5'11" and its been 6 months, drove 9000 kms in my baleno cvt, happy with these tips.
gunsho is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th July 2019, 11:52   #3089
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunsho View Post
...our shoulder should be still in touch with the seat...[*]Place your hand on top of the steering wheel and if the hands are straight, then distance is correct. Bottom of the steering wheel 4-5 inch above our leg.[/list]
While the headrest didn't gave comfort, all others have made a big difference in my driving comfort. Basically we have to get the back (seat recliner)/thighs(seat front/back positioning)/hand(steering and seat up/down positioning) combo correctly. I am 5'11" and its been 6 months, drove 9000 kms in my baleno cvt, happy with these tips.
- Not sure about others but according to best driving practices followed here, if your hands (elbow portion) while resting on the steering does not have a slight bend, it is going to be a stress while driving. Same applies for the legs too. The seat position should be such that the knee has a slight bend when the pedals are fully depressed. This additionally gives you the possibility to use the full strength while emergency braking.
AlphaKilo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2019, 15:44   #3090
BHPian

Guys, what is this mesh like thing near rear wheels. This had partially come off. I observed it while getting my car washed. I was able to push it back in place. Should I get this checked?
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Baleno : Official Review-img_20190707_153710.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks