Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 23rd December 2015, 19:28   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Mahindra XUV500 Diesel Automatic : Official Review

Thank you for the detailed review.

I have always liked the XUV and now a nicely mated AT makes it an excellent proposition.Would definitely be my choice over the Creta and even Fortuner. I think today if you ask me to upgrade my Vento to another AT, the XUV would be my choice.

Hope the rumors about the XUV Hybrid AT coming next year is true. That would be perfect.

Was thinking about going for a TD. This review has made me more eager.
Rajeevraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2015, 22:30   #17
BHPian

AN excellent review of the XUV500 AT. Tushar and @SDP you guys have done a fabulous job. Would love to take a TD but still been skeptical about M&M, all the XUV500 owners how has been the after sales service. Also with an offshore job I don't know if a diesel engine is advisable to keep idle for 5 weeks.
Old 23rd December 2015, 23:16   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Very well composed review there Tushar. The topping the cherry was SDP's perspective as the owner.

From the words imprinted, it looks like a yummy cake. How the Indian motor industry welcomes it; only time can unravel.

Hope it survives and doesn't go down the "kitna deti hain" tag line
dhanushmenon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2015, 23:58   #19
BHPian

XUV AT will be a winner. With all the electronics they could have made the finish look a bit more impressive. For the enthusiasts, they could have made the gear stalk and knob similar to the MT as in the Mini Cooper. Anyway good job M&M. High time the TATAs make their move!
Old 24th December 2015, 00:21   #20
Senior - BHPian

Very nice review there
Glad to read the auto tranny is nice! Though i wonder why would mahindra delete the key less entry! It is just very convenient to have, Like really at one point of time i was planning to retrofit the key less entry system in my Jetta as well just because of the convenience it provides.
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th December 2015, 05:11   #21
BHPian

Comprehensive review there !! Thanks Tushar, SDP and GTO !! Rated 5 Stars !!
Disappointed by the removal of the Start/Stop Button and keyless entry/go.

I hope someone from Mahindra is reading this and I am pretty sure they will bring these features back on the XUV AT.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
See how Tanveer replaced his XUV500 with another one (link to his thread).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanveer_2558 View Post
Very nice review there .
Tanveer, Are you already feeling the desire to replace your New Age XUV with the AT ?
mayank0782 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th December 2015, 05:49   #22
Senior - BHPian

Excellent review as always. The part quality even in pictures doesnt cut it for me. I want decent, if not luxurious interior appointments if I am spending that amount of cash on a car.
Old 24th December 2015, 08:25   #23
BHPian

Excellent Review like always!!

Gear Box has always been Mahindra's achilles heel. Right from Scorpio days they have struggled with Gear Box issues like Long Play, Hard Clutch, Clutch Collapse/Failure, Clutch plates wearing out, vibrations. Not sure how good this AT gearbox would turnout to be.

I wouldn't buy the automatic and would rather wait and watch for a year or so for Mahindra's to resolve all the Issues.

Regards

Last edited by GTO : 24th December 2015 at 12:38. Reason: Typo
chandrda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2015, 08:59   #24
Senior - BHPian

Great review! Thanks a lot for sharing.
My guess with MM removing the start stop and key less entry is because of the missing clutch.
Without clutch, the start stop won't work. With no start stop, the key less entry is not really key less entry. So might as well remove it too..
starter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2015, 09:23   #25
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the review, had been eagerly waiting for this.

Do you have some video shots? Especially of the gear changes, manual mode etc? How was the experience on very steep slopes (such as malls).

I am quite keen on this vehicle, was earlier looking at Scorpio AT. Fortuner AT, has been made very expensive party by Toyota and partly by falling rupee.

Any idea on what is the ratio of AT bookings now ?
Old 24th December 2015, 09:28   #26
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by starter View Post
Great review! Thanks a lot for sharing.
My guess with MM removing the start stop and key less entry is because of the missing clutch.
Without clutch, the start stop won't work. With no start stop, the key less entry is not really key less entry. So might as well remove it too..
I believe we are confusing between 2 start-stop functionalities. The "Automatic engine start-stop" functionality (so called Micro Hybrid in earlier models) has been there in XUV from day 1. You need to shift to Neutral when you come to a signal and then the engine would automatically shut-off. The engine comes alive again when you touch the clutch. So to certain extent, dropping this is understood.

The "engine start/stop" large round button and "key-less entry and Go" is a different feature (introduced in the new top-end W10 when the face-lift was launched) where as long as you have the smart-key in your pocket, you can open the door as you approach the car and start the engine just by pressing the large round button. This feature - to the best of my knowledge - does not have anything to do with the clutch and should not have been dropped.

Hope this clarifies.

Last edited by SDP : 24th December 2015 at 09:38.
SDP is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th December 2015, 10:04   #27
BHPian

Very good review.
I had no choice but to give 5 stars!

I have two friends - one in M&M and other ex M&M.
One guy says - wait for at least 6 months after launch - see response and then buy.
Other guy says - the product is superb - just buy it.

I feel I got the first input in the form of this review. One tick mark!
Now I have to take a test drive. I have a very bad experience of TDs from their dealers. It takes tooooo long. Anyway, I will definitely test it.

I think I am more interested in the FWD version.
Does anybody have any idea about the TDs in Pune, booking amount, delivery time, etc?
I expect the OTR price to be around 20 L Rs. Is this right?

Girish Mahajan
GKMahajan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th December 2015, 10:11   #28
BHPian

Excellent review Tushar.

The value proposition that XUV5OO brings to the table is unmatchable when compared to the more expensive rivals. Adding AT is just icing on the cake. Your review will definitely help decision making of the prospective SUV buyers intending for a AT version far more easy.

My brother owns a Scorpio and he says its not that expensive to maintain and almost comparable to my Verna. So I believe MM's service expenses are considerably lower than the competitors.
Old 24th December 2015, 10:26   #29
BHPian

Another excellent review, rated a very well deserved 5 stars! This AT box was the most awaited update to the XUV500 and seems like even though Mahindra has come to the party a little late, they've come up with an excellent product. Reading how well the gearbox has been mated to this superb engine is very confidence inspiring.
I was planning to upgrade my car towards the second half of next year and the XUV MT was the no.1 contender so far, the AT seems like a very tempting option now!

Last edited by abhii176 : 24th December 2015 at 10:26. Reason: spelling
abhii176 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2015, 10:44   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
The "engine start/stop" large round button and "key-less entry and Go" is a different feature (introduced in the new top-end W10 when the face-lift was launched) where as long as you have the smart-key in your pocket, you can open the door as you approach the car and start the engine just by pressing the large round button. This feature - to the best of my knowledge - does not have anything to do with the clutch and should not have been dropped.
Dear SDP,
The cars that i have driven with the start/stop button requires the clutch to be pressed.
I get a message on the dash to press the clutch.
This is maybe to ensure that somebody does not start the car while in gear. Hence, my earlier post.
Cheers,
Deepak

PS: And no, am not talking about that so called Micro-Hybrid

Last edited by starter : 24th December 2015 at 10:46.
starter is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed