Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th December 2015, 17:36   #61
Team-BHP Support

re: Mahindra XUV500 Diesel Automatic : Official Review

I think we'll just have to agree to disagree. I understand you have a valid point of view - I'm just saying its not the only point of view.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
See, that's the thing. If I wanted a FWD 5-Seater, I wouldn't bother with an SUV in the first place. If I buy an SUV over a sedan, it would be because of the additional capability - AWD or 7-seats or both. If my SUV doesn't have any of these capabilities over a sedan, I'd much rather buy a faster, better handling, better braking, better driving, more equipped sedan.

To me, an SUV without AWD / 4x4 is like a sports car with a top speed of 100 kph.
While that may be true, the fact is a number of crossovers / SUVs minus AWD are being sold and there is in fact a market for them. For instance just as you would choose either a sedan or AWD, I may want a Creta like option simply because I prefer something with more luggage flexibility, 60:40 drop seats and a shorter footprint than a sedan. The buying decision of a consumer doesn't range at extreme ends of faster cars vs. AWD equipped off-roading capability. It may have a myriad other combination of factors. So a cross over that handles close enough to a car, gives a bit of luggage loading flexibility, has a smaller footprint - has a potential customer. If that was not the case, NO non AWD variant Creta, Duster, Terrano and the Ford Ecosport would sell at all.

Quote:
You need to check out the newer XUV500. Interior quality is ordinary, but definitely not 'sub par'. And mind you, the Creta isn't the last word in quality either. Hyundai has done a lot of cost cutting with the car.

It's not 'unreliable' either. But yes, a Creta will be a lot, lot more fuss-free to own over 100,000 kms.
Noted, particularly the fact that its mechanically sound (which is important). But from what I've read from the respective reviews, it would seem to me that the fit / finish of the Creta is better and as you mentioned a Creta will be a lot lot more fuss free. To me that is a more important consideration.

Quote:
Quite a sweeping statement considering we don't even know how the 2016 Innova drives, whether it will come with an AT and what price point it will be at. I could tell you that I'll buy the 2022 next-gen XUV500 over the 2016 Innova, but that's going nowhere.
That's not a fair analogy. You can argue that we should wait for the Innova to arrive and then compare. Fair point and I granted that. However, the fact is we have at least some reasonable idea of what the 2016 Innova is all about considering its launched internationally. We can wait and see in what form it comes to India and at what price. But to put that in the same vein as a 2022 XUV 5OO is not comparable.

Quote:
Please tell me the prices of other SUVs that offer this cabin space, AT and AWD. And when it comes to the cabin and comfort, the XUV500 is superior to the 33 lakh Fortuner 4x4 AT.
I'm completely misquoted here. Here is what I wrote. I didn't say other SUVs. I said if someone needs 7 seats more than an SUV per se, there will be another option somewhere in between XUV price and the other big boy SUVs like Fortuner.

My only point was if someone really needs a proper 7 seater (and not an SUV), it doesn't have to be the quantum stretch to the 30 lakh+ options. There's soon going to be something out there that will likely be a much better option for perhaps 4 - 5 lakhs more instead.
Axe77 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 27th December 2015, 21:18   #62
Senior - BHPian

This is a good review but covers only the aspect of automatic gearbox. The other aspect of automatic gearbox with AWD needs to covered. Though there will be very few who would go for AWD auto, but now they will have to gamble without TBHP review.
Old 28th December 2015, 12:21   #63
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
I think we'll just have to agree to disagree. I understand you have a valid point of view - I'm just saying its not the only point of view.
Absolutely yes! The differing opinions & car choices is what makes Team-BHP vibrant. Nowhere have I implied that my opinion / choice of car should be the only POV and I don't think any BHPian has taken it that way either. The Creta is one heck of a product and its sales prove that Hyundai got it spot on. As I've stated before, it's the only 'can't go wrong' SUV for 15 lakhs. But I'd pick the XUV500 over it because of the Mahindra's competence (including AWD).

Quote:
While that may be true, the fact is a number of crossovers / SUVs minus AWD are being sold and there is in fact a market for them.
Absolutely! That's why I specified what my choice would be. Just like I wouldn't buy a 40 lakh FWD car or an S-Cross 1.3 (1.6 for me)....which many people do.

Quote:
it would seem to me that the fit / finish of the Creta is better
Fit & finish isn't the only thing that makes a cabin better. The XUV500 has more space, comfortable seats, more equipment etc. Even the 2nd row of the XUV500 is top class, rivalling cars costing double or triple more.

Quote:
the fact is we have at least some reasonable idea of what the 2016 Innova is all about considering its launched internationally
We're on an AT thread. And it's still not confirmed that the Innova will come with an AT. From Toyota's POV, offering an AT on the Innova would severely impact the Fortuner AT. We'll have to wait & watch. Until then, saying that one would prefer a supposed to-be-launched car is pointless.

Quote:
I said if someone needs 7 seats more than an SUV per se, there will be another option somewhere in between XUV price and the other big boy SUVs like Fortuner
Again, we're on an AT thread. Which other 7-seaters do you see with an AT in this price band, leave aside one with an AWD?

Quote:
[i]My only point was if someone really needs a proper 7 seater (and not an SUV), it doesn't have to be the quantum stretch to the 30 lakh+ options
The 7-seater point is an advantage of the XUV500 AT over the Creta AT. That's its relevance to this thread. If we have to discuss any & all 7-seaters, there are many options not only above the XUV500, but even below, including the very competent Lodgy. I think you're missing the context of this discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
The other aspect of automatic gearbox with AWD needs to covered. Though there will be very few who would go for AWD auto
Until we get an AWD AT in Mahindra's press fleet, Anshuman's ownership thread gives a fair idea of the XUV500's AWD capability. Sufficient for touring, not hardcore mud-ploughing.
GTO is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 30th December 2015, 12:51   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovilkalai View Post
Nice review. I own a 2014 XUV5OO and I wish the automatic was available then. With the expected clampdown on diesel private cars, I don't know if I well ever get a chance to drive this one.

I do have a bone to pick with the point about Mahindra's service. I have owned a Hyundai, a Skoda (yikes!) and a Mahindra. And Mahindra's service for its XUV customers is pretty darn good. It is up there with Hyundai's. I have had no complaints except some variance on the estimates they have provided me. The service personnel have been very responsive. If other XUV owners have the same experience, perhaps it is time to give them a break and stop using "Mahindra's inconsistent sales & service experiences" in every review of a Mahindra car.
I agree with Kovilkalai. I have 3 months old W8 and visited service station 2 times to sort out minor sound related issues. I found service to be far better and more responsive than Hyundai or Maruthi. Now it is time to remove ""Mahindra's inconsistent service experiences" in reviews atleast for XUV customers
rakesht_ripps is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th January 2016, 08:46   #65
BHPian

First of all, excellent review, Tushar and team.

I am a big fan of Make in India. I used to have the Scorpio, and I used to love it for all the right reasons, and, the fact that it was Made in India. Am again proud of the XUV AT. It has been designed and grown in India. I understand that the gearbox is imported, however, the XUV is more Indian than most of its competitors.

Well done, Mahindra. Time to busy its shares? ;-)
anshuman_v is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th January 2016, 10:23   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tushar View Post
Interestingly, the gear labelling is for a left-hand-drive car. For RHD cars, the gear markings are on the right, like in the Fortuner AT (link to image) which makes it easier to read:
It's not just the labeling, even the gating is for L-H-D cars. From 'Neutral' to 'Reverse', you need to shift the gear lever 'right and forward', whereas it is 'shift left and forward' in R-H-D cars. For people who are used to R-H-D gating, this takes a bit of time get used to (i.e., shift without looking at the gear lever).

Last edited by jinojohnt : 5th January 2016 at 10:25.
jinojohnt is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 6th January 2016, 13:42   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesht_ripps View Post
I agree with Kovilkalai. I have 3 months old W8 and visited service station 2 times to sort out minor sound related issues. I found service to be far better and more responsive than Hyundai or Maruthi. Now it is time to remove ""Mahindra's inconsistent service experiences" in reviews atleast for XUV customers
But not just the XUV customers In the last three years of me owning the Mahindra Quanto, every visit to the service centre in Chennai for regular services and once for a small niggle, has always been a pleasant experience, The guys including the Manager go out of the way to help you and sort out issues as early as possible.They also hand out plants for your garden when you go in for a PUC or a service, as a part of eco friendly initiatives . Few plants have now grown into small trees at home.

Last edited by Eddy : 6th January 2016 at 20:36. Reason: Extra smiley
vipinendran is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th January 2016, 15:30   #68
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinojohnt View Post
It's not just the labeling, even the gating is for L-H-D cars. From 'Neutral' to 'Reverse', you need to shift the gear lever 'right and forward', whereas it is 'shift left and forward' in R-H-D cars. For people who are used to R-H-D gating, this takes a bit of time get used to (i.e., shift without looking at the gear lever).
Super observation, thank you! Have edited the same in the review as well.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th January 2016, 12:09   #69
BHPian

For all the right noise about a competent product at a decent price, Mahindra needs to improve level of its service quality. I contacted one of the Company run showroom for the pricing details of AT variant last Thursday but haven't received the same till date even after reminding the sales executive twice. This is the case even when the vehicle is yet to be sold to a customer so you can very well imagine what will be the service level post sale. Is there another Tata in the making?
TSIched'Out is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2016, 13:02   #70
BHPian

Pathetic pre-election what would be the post sales after they sell the product.

I booked an automatic variant after the launch with an expected delivery 1st week of Jan 2016. When I called to check, in the first week, I was told that they will get back to me in 2 days with details of the delivery. Waited for a week and called up again last Saturday and was assured a call and status update that evening. Nothing so far. Atleast they can call back at the time they promise no matter if they have information I need or not. But that basic courtesy to keeping customers updated (which is a prime factor of major customer dissatisfaction in the IT industry from my own experience - not sure if M&M understands it) is lacking wrt M&M.
Old 11th January 2016, 14:09   #71
BHPian

Same here, twice i called and asked about the W10 AWD AT but no response from them. Even the local service center has no clue. maybe there is some problem with the AT box.
Old 15th January 2016, 10:19   #72
BHPian

I'm a newbie here and this is my first post.

I took the test drive of W10 Automatic FWD on 08-Jan from Kerala. Impressed with the same, I have booked W10 AT FWD Variant. Delivery has been promised tentatively around end of this month. Fingers crossed !
amar.madhavan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th January 2016, 07:10   #73
BHPian

Update on my booking : I got a call from the dealer on Saturday, 16-Jan saying the vehicle has arrived. He also stated that delivery shall be made after the financial formalities are completed.

Since I'm not in town for next few days, i went to their yard to see the vehicle. The VIN confirms that vehicle is Jan 2016.

We have requested bank to finish off the financial formalities pending from their end today and the delivery is planned for Wednesday, 20-Jan.
Old 18th January 2016, 15:59   #74
BHPian

Probably mine too is on its way and was told it would arrive this week. I won't be in town next 2 weeks so will have to wait few more days before I can lay my hands on the new big boys toy.
Old 19th January 2016, 08:45   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amar.madhavan View Post
Update on my booking : I got a call from the dealer on Saturday, 16-Jan saying the vehicle has arrived. He also stated that delivery shall be made after the financial formalities are completed.

Since I'm not in town for next few days, i went to their yard to see the vehicle. The VIN confirms that vehicle is Jan 2016.

We have requested bank to finish off the financial formalities pending from their end today and the delivery is planned for Wednesday, 20-Jan.
Hi Amar,

What was the final on-road price for the vehicle. Did the dealer give any discounts and free accessories?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks