Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 22nd January 2016, 09:58   #91
BANNED

re: Mahindra XUV500 Diesel Automatic : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManuMacher View Post
Guys, I have experience with automatic outside India but hope they are exactly same. A nagging question in my mind, how useful it is in stop start traffic. In manual gearbox you can go to neutral and put the handbrakes . what is the corresponding action in automatic , go to p or keep the brakes engaged ? I imagine that to be more painful than manual . opinions !!!
You can put in P or also put the Gearbox lever on N (neutral) and then put a leg on ur break. Always make sure when ever u stop never to take ur leg off the break as usual like how you drove abroad.
ravelsnip@gmail is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2016, 10:07   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravelsnip@gmail View Post
You can put in P or also put the Gearbox lever on N (neutral) and then put a leg on ur break. Always make sure when ever u stop never to take ur leg off the break as usual like how you drove abroad.
Thanks for your inputs. As said earlier it looks more tiresome than manual gears in a start stop traffic .
Old 22nd January 2016, 12:13   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for your inputs. As said earlier it looks more tiresome than manual gears in a start stop traffic .
I am using Auto version in Bangalore traffic for more than 4 years and found it a big big relief in our start stop traffic. If it's expected to be a small stop, you can remain in drive and keep the brakes pressed. You can always move to neutral and pull the handbrakes like in manual version for a longer stop like in a traffic signal, there is no reason to apply the brakes once you have the handbrakes engaged (press the brake pedal when you move it to drive again). You can move to park if you depending on the duration of stop and your convenience. Once you move to park, there is no need to apply brakes or even hand brakes (but there can be a small roll till it come to halt, so I prefer having handbrakes most of the time)

More than in long drives, I find the use of Auto in city traffic.
gadadhar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2016, 14:52   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Guys, I have experience with automatic outside India but hope they are exactly same. A nagging question in my mind, how useful it is in stop start traffic. In manual gearbox you can go to neutral and put the handbrakes . what is the corresponding action in automatic , go to p or keep the brakes engaged ? I imagine that to be more painful than manual . opinions !!!
I think you are confusing between auto and amt.

Auto (in this xuv500) is real auto like you would have drove anywhere else in the world while amt (automatic manual transmission) or ags (automatic gear shift) you will need to press on the accelerator for the vehicle to start moving.
Old 22nd January 2016, 22:02   #95

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo-G View Post
I think you are confusing between auto and amt.

Auto (in this xuv500) is real auto like you would have drove anywhere else in the world while amt (automatic manual transmission) or ags (automatic gear shift) you will need to press on the accelerator for the vehicle to start moving.
I think Jo-G has gotten your query spot on. An amt does not have a "N" as far as my knowledge goes. So youd probably have to shift to P ( Again. Haven't had much experience. Just one drive on the celero.) In my experience is driving in USA , all the auto transmissions I drove were true automatics. Hence, If I were to stop for a small duration, D. A bit longer (traffic light for instance) , N + Hand / Emergency Brakes and P only when I parked to avoid unnecessary wear and tear on the parking pin ( which I believe locks the transmission. Hence not advisable for short duration).

Coming to the XUV500 Automatic. It's the exact same thing. I drove it for 140kms today. As pointed out in the original review, it has vibrations creeping in when you're completely at rest and in D. You feel as if a slip of your brake and the car will pounce ( which isn't the case BTW. It'll just creep.) Slot it in N and its nice and peaceful. So personally, I think that's the solution.
Old 22nd January 2016, 22:21   #96
BHPian

Had a decent test drive with the XUV500 AT.
First thing, coming from Safari DICOR background, found the interior to be too modern to my taste. I am sure, its just a time to adopt. Yet, I like the old school, traditional and simple layout instead of too many buttons and electronics around. No complain though.
Then, again, spoiled by Safari's comfortable driving seat and its position, I couldnt get a 100% comfortable seating position in my 10 KMs of drive. Probably, I had a "new car" feeling in my sub-conscious mind. So, again, attributing it to "adaptation" factor.

Tomorrow, I have scheduled for a long "Highway" drive with my family to get everyone's input starting from my 5 year old to wife. Hopefully, things work out OK.

One observation - There was a considerable engine noise getting inside the cabin and the SA promptly agreed to it and also, he mentioned its more than the manual because of the gear change reaction time. Is it a true observation and the right reasoning ?

If I get a decent exchange for my 2010 Safari, I think, I would be going for a W10 FWD AT pretty soon.

I have a big work to do - convince my wife to buy this !

Prem.

Last edited by kaviprem : 22nd January 2016 at 22:22.
kaviprem is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th January 2016, 17:29   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dijams View Post
So youd probably have to shift to P ( Again. Haven't had much experience. Just one drive on the celero.) In my experience is driving in USA , all the auto transmissions I drove were true automatics. Hence, If I were to stop for a small duration, D. A bit longer (traffic light for instance) , N + Hand / Emergency Brakes and P only when I parked to avoid unnecessary wear and tear on the parking pin ( which I believe locks the transmission. Hence not advisable for short duration).
From what I understand of the AMT/AGS, it does not have a P (Park). It has A (Auto mode), R (Reverse), N (Neutral), D (Drive) and M (Manual mode) with "+"(Upshift) & " - " (Downshift). So, when in D the car will still be in Neutral and will only move (or engage the gears) when the Accelerator is pressed or in other words, the car doesn't move when you lift your feet from the break like in the real Automatic transmission. Hence, you can slot it into D and apply the hand breaks in city traffic, then press on the accelerator and release the hand breaks to move. It should be noted that on a slope as the car will be in neutral and will start rolling back or forward when you start releasing the breaks unless you immediately press on the accelerator. I think that is the major difference between the Auto Transmission and AMT/AGS.
Jo-G is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2016, 06:20   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaviprem View Post

If I get a decent exchange for my 2010 Safari, I think, I would be going for a W10 FWD AT pretty soon.

Prem.
Hi Prem,

You confuse me because you were the one who told me to wait for Tata HEXA as it is a worthwhile package and then you are contemplating purchase of XUV500. Why a sudden change in priorities??. I am in the same boat as you, so it will help me evaluate my purchase as well.

Thanks,
Rohit
rohit.joshi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2016, 14:11   #99
BHPian

Thanks for the excellent review as usual!

This was something I was waiting for a long time. Will give it some time for things to settle down and all teething issues resolved. Then will look at upgrading my XUV to this unless competition releases another model that can beat this package (which I doubt). As GTO rightly said, the next best competitor costs atleast 5-8 lakhs more and doesn't offer much in terms of feature set to justify the spend except for the badge.

Highway cruising has always been an USP for XUV. AT will only make it more appealing for current XUV owners like myself and driving in the city traffic will be a peace of cake now.

Well played M&M and well done!
Old 26th January 2016, 23:29   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skotha View Post
Thanks for the excellent review as usual!

Then will look at upgrading my XUV to this unless competition releases another model that can beat this package (which I doubt).
Hi,

There is HEXA coming up soon in the market which should be challenging XUV atleast from a price standpoint(not sure about the features). I am in Hyderabad as well, which dealerships have you gotten in touch with regarding your purchase?

Thanks,
Rohit
Old 27th January 2016, 06:36   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohit.joshi View Post
Hi,

I am in Hyderabad as well, which dealerships have you gotten in touch with regarding your purchase?
Hi Rohit,

I have not approached any dealer yet, it will be at least 6-9 more months before I start the process.

Thanks
Shiva
Old 27th January 2016, 12:13   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohit.joshi View Post
Hi Prem,

You confuse me because you were the one who told me to wait for Tata HEXA as it is a worthwhile package and then you are contemplating purchase of XUV500. Why a sudden change in priorities??. I am in the same boat as you, so it will help me evaluate my purchase as well.

Thanks,
Rohit
Rohit
That was not to confuse you. If I did, I am sorry.
The reason I am going after XUV500 AT is that there is no other option available at this price point. At the same time, XUV AT is not a bad option. Its a "value for money" product as far as I see.

On HEXA suggestion to you, it depends on whether you can wait or not. In my case, waiting might cost the resale value for my Safari. Thats why I did mention the clause "if I get the right value for my Safari ...".

Also, HEXA, as per what I am hearing is definitely 6 months away and that would hurt me more :(

Hope, it clarifies. If you are convinced of XUV AT, go for it.

Prem.
Old 27th January 2016, 12:36   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Rohit
That was not to confuse you. If I did, I am sorry.
The reason I am going after XUV500 AT is that there is no other option available at this price point.
On HEXA suggestion to you, it depends on whether you can wait or not.

Also, HEXA, as per what I am hearing is definitely 6 months away and that would hurt me more :(

Prem.
Hi Prem,

I will be waiting for HEXA for sure, do not want to just write off TATA solely based on TASS. I am contemplating my purchase in the month of July, even if they delay Hexa by 2-3 months then it would be a perfect time to buy as the festive season would be right around the corner.

I have told my parents to start taking test drives of vehicles so that they know what kind of vehicle my Dad likes. Also, are the prices speculated to be going down after April due to the impending implementation of GST on automobiles.

Thanks,
Rohit
Old 27th January 2016, 14:21   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
One observation - There was a considerable engine noise getting inside the cabin and the SA promptly agreed to it and also, he mentioned its more than the manual because of the gear change reaction time. Is it a true observation and the right reasoning ?
Hey Prem, seems your observation is inline with what Anurag had during his AT test drive as well. He had compared this to a Tata maropolo bus . Link below
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post3896854

I drive a manual XUV and havn't driven XUV AT so far but i think its possible because the AT will goto a certain rev level before shifting where in MT i virtually shift to 2nd gear moment vehicle is in movement, hence the engine noise is never a bother. The engine does sound buzzy when revved at lower speeds as there is no tire or wind noise.
supertinu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2016, 21:45   #105
Senior - BHPian

@supertinu The automatic also upshifts to second at little over idle speed. Just release the brake, and you are crawling in first at just above 5kph, every one does this in traffic.
Now try this give a feathers touch to the throttle when you start moving not even 1100 RPM and release it engine settles to a little more than 800 RPM, and you are moving at just below 10 kph in second at idle. Drive with a little more than a feathers touch and stepp off the throttle as soon as you come to 1600 RPM or so, and you can be in 6th at just about 1350 Rpm and 80 kph.
If any one has the patience to do that and check on full to full basis, such driving may return more than what ARAI mentions.

Rahul
Rahul Rao is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed