Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 1st April 2016, 19:18   #166
BHPian

re: Mahindra XUV500 Diesel Automatic : Official Review

The purple monster came home today. The kids are absolutely loving the acres of space, after the slightly cramped interiors of the Polo.

It takes some getting used to the size of the car, but it doesn't feel like a huge vehicle at all. The major issue for me is getting used to the reversed control stalks (Lights on right, wipers on left). I keep switching on the wipers trying to change lanes. At this rate, I will have the cleanest windshield in Trivandrum.

Sorry about the poor pics, but for the life of me, I just could not take a good pic today with my 70D.

The Opulent Purple was my daughter's choice, and I had my reservations about it, but haveing seen it close up, it is indeed a lovely colour, and tends to grow on you. Maintenance though will be an absolute nightmare.

One other thing I note is that the quality of the switches and plastic could be better. The ones on our Vento are miles ahead in quality, even though the car only costs half as much.

Another thing I miss sorely is one-touch up and down on all windows, and the anti-pinch feature of the Vento. Here only the driver gets these. Big let-down in a car costing this much.

The last two pics were actually taken a few days ago when we visited the car at the dealer's stockyard.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV500 Diesel Automatic : Official Review-img_8743-large.jpg  

Mahindra XUV500 Diesel Automatic : Official Review-img_8748-large.jpg  

Mahindra XUV500 Diesel Automatic : Official Review-img_8746-large.jpg  

Mahindra XUV500 Diesel Automatic : Official Review-20160324_180300-large.jpg  

Mahindra XUV500 Diesel Automatic : Official Review-20160324_180623-large.jpg  

pillainp is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 1st April 2016, 21:13   #167
BHPian

Many Congratulations ! Keep munchin' miles and holler me if you see me in the city- got a brother beast (same colour).

On a related note, how's the new infotainment software, particularly the Tiretronics feature?
Old 1st April 2016, 22:02   #168
BHPian

I have not been able to check the version yet, the system is pretty responsive.

Tyre tonics works fine on both the infotainment system and the Blue sense App on my phone.

Made a few calls (mostly home to tell them we got the car) using the car's BT and clarity was very good. My mom could clearly hear my daughter sitting the 2nd row.

Last edited by pillainp : 1st April 2016 at 22:06.
pillainp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2016, 19:36   #169
BHPian

Australian automotive magazine Caradvice.com.au have tested the Mahindra XUV 500 AT in India.

They have shown India in a very bad light though! The shoot location seems to be New Delhi.
dean5545 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th April 2016, 19:48   #170
BHPian

This is a pretty old video.
One thing I am very happy to report is that the steering g shudder he mentions is totally absent in my car. Maybe Mahindra has actually done something about it. Fingers crossed.

The car is a joy to drive. I just have to get used to the apparent sluggishness compared to the Polo GT TSI.
Old 20th April 2016, 11:38   #171
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanveer_2558 View Post
Very nice review there
Glad to read the auto tranny is nice! Though i wonder why would Mahindra delete the key less entry! It is just very convenient to have, Like really at one point of time i was planning to retrofit the key less entry system in my Jetta as well just because of the convenience it provides.
Can the key less entry and start stop button be retrofitted and more importantly should it be retrofitted?
Actually i am looking for an AT to replace my XUV W8.

My top contenders are:
1) XUV W10 AT
2) Jetta Highline AT TDI
3) Elantra 1.6 AT

Both XUV and Jetta don't have This convenient feature
If I retrofit it in any of these, does it void the warranty?

And also since you own the Jetta too, how is the back seat comfort for three persons over a long drive on Jetta as this is one of the criteria in my choosing the vehicle to buy.
My wife was not particularly happy with the middle back seat in Jetta.

Last edited by aah78 : 20th April 2016 at 18:36. Reason: Post edited for grammar & spell-check.
Old 20th April 2016, 12:43   #172
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manasmadaan View Post
Can the key less entry and start stop button be retrofitted and more importantly should it be retrofitted?
Actually i am looking for an AT to replace my XUV W8.

My top contenders are:
1) XUV W10 AT
2) Jetta Highline AT TDI
3) Elantra 1.6 AT

Both XUV and Jetta don't have This convenient feature
If I retrofit it in any of these, does it void the warranty?

And also since you own the Jetta too, how is the back seat comfort for three persons over a long drive on Jetta as this is one of the criteria in my choosing the vehicle to buy.
My wife was not particularly happy with the middle back seat in Jetta.

Hello! I would advise against retrofitting the keyless entry system, Unless and until the Mahindra agrees to do it for you which i think they wont mostly agree.

Space And XUV 500 cannot be compared even with cars going upwards of 30+ Lacs, In the first 2 row that is, Jetta is very comfy for 4 People, The middle person on the back seat won't be very comfortable for long drives for sure.

Also i would suggest to checkmate elantra out of the trio, It doesn't stand a chance in front of the jetta and xuv in terms of both space and driving pleasure.
(Personal opinion)
If you REALLY want the 3rd occupant in the 2nd row, XUV provides better place, Jetta isn't bad but surely not better than XUV.

Last edited by aah78 : 20th April 2016 at 18:36. Reason: advice -> advise.
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th April 2016, 18:51   #173
BHPian

I had booked an Sunset Orange XUV 500 W8 AT and today I received the VIN number as MA1YU2SPVG6C10084.

As per the SA, he says that the vehicle is manufactured in MArch 2016.

Could somebody help me decode the above number ??

Thanks.
Old 20th April 2016, 19:08   #174
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkaushal View Post
I had booked an Sunset Orange XUV 500 W8 AT and today I received the VIN number as MA1YU2SPVG6C10084.

Your SA is right. For the VIN given:

MAIYU2SPVG6C10084

10th letter - G - 2016
12th letter - C - March

So it is Match 2016 vehicle. Congratulations buddy.
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th April 2016, 19:18   #175
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkaushal View Post
I received the VIN number as MA1YU2SPVG6C10084.

Congrats, yes it is indeed Mar 2016 manufactured.

Source : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buying...ml#post2249664

Sorry, didnt realise A4anurag had already replied. However, the Congrats still stands
uday.ere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2016, 20:28   #176
BHPian

Thanks Anurag & Uday.

Glad to know that the vehicle is March 2016 manufactured.

Thanks a ton for your prompt response. Waiting to lay my hand on the car. Should be taking delivery by early next week under company lease program.
Old 20th April 2016, 22:51   #177
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanveer_2558 View Post
Hello! I would advise against retrofitting the keyless entry system, Unless and until the Mahindra agrees to do it for you which i think they wont mostly agree.

Space And XUV 500 cannot be compared even with cars going upwards of 30+ Lacs, In the first 2 row that is, Jetta is very comfy for 4 People, The middle person on the back seat won't be very comfortable for long drives for sure.

Also i would suggest to checkmate elantra out of the trio, It doesn't stand a chance in front of the jetta and xuv in terms of both space and driving pleasure.
(Personal opinion)
If you REALLY want the 3rd occupant in the 2nd row, XUV provides better place, Jetta isn't bad but surely not better than XUV.
Thanks a lot Tanveer for your input. Based on this, i think i would go for XUV taking everything in to account
Old 21st April 2016, 00:04   #178
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manasmadaan View Post
Thanks a lot Tanveer for your input. Based on this, i think i would go for XUV taking everything in to account
Glad I could be of help, You just can't go wrong with the XUV, especially in terms of interior space, Mhawk engine and the features it provides

All the best for the purchase!

Last edited by GTO : 22nd April 2016 at 10:48. Reason: Typo
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2016, 12:40   #179
Team-BHP Support

Mahindra changes its specs at a mind boggling speed. All the new XUVs have now started borrowing some feature or the other from the variant one above. However one new thing I just noticed and wanted a confirmation on is about what looks like lights on the rear bumper bottom. All these years there were two reflectors in place in the black portion of the bumper. But from the looks of the bumper on the purple XUV reflectors seem to have metamorphosed into lights now!
Old 21st April 2016, 13:00   #180
BHPian

Has anyone been able to purchase an A/T in Delhi NCR?

I have been told by a dealer that the A/T is not expected to come to Delhi NCR anytime soon as it has the 2.2L engine and not the recently modified 1.99L

Most Viewed