Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 28th February 2016, 22:40   #181
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Safari Storme Varicor 400 : Official Review

The 400 4X4 is out on a drive. 1075 Kms on a single shot today. Dehradun to Varanasi. 5AM to 9PM. Met Gunbir and JB at Yamuna Express Way. What a drive!! Distance itself speaks volumes of what this vehicle is capable of.

Tata Safari Storme Varicor 400 : Official Review-image.jpeg
PS. The blinkers were on during this and every stop. Just weren't captured in this pic.
navpreet318 is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 28th February 2016, 22:46   #182
BHPian

Tata Safari Storme Varicor 400 : Official Review

Very nice photo, defines what Storme is all about. An able and comfortable highway cruiser.

The White color looks very good especially with the black diffuser(like) bumper and the Matt finish above the chrome strip.
Car&me is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2016, 23:29   #183
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car&me View Post
I am getting my car delivered on Monday. Visited the showroom to check my new Varicor 400. The color I chose was Astern Black, but it's darkest of grey (almost black) with a slight dose of metallic tinge.
Quote:
Originally Posted by avinash_m View Post
Heartiest Congrats!! I love the black as well, and precisely for the description you've given. Eagerly waiting for more pics and ownership thread!
As the owner of a Dicor with a deep black finish, this is what held me back from buying one a couple of years ago.

However, the product itself is great.

Quote:
Very nice photo, defines what Storme is all about. An able and comfortable highway cruiser.
Exactly - wholeheartedly agree - even in the city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
The 400 4X4 is out on a drive. 1075 Kms on a single shot today. Dehradun to Varanasi. 5AM to 9PM. Met Gunbir and JB at Yamuna Express Way. What a drive!! Distance itself speaks volumes of what this vehicle is capable of.
Congrats and all the best!

I just wanted some advice on whether to book a 4x4 or a 2wd (without LSD) for a car to be used for a driver. (Hopefully on-road most of the time)

I know for a fact that one of my ex-drivers had a tendency to play around with the 4wd settings on one of my old Safaris, so this is why I am hesitant about booking/taking 4wd.

But is there much of a efficiency difference for city driving? What are realistic averages in the city? (For either the 4wd or the 2wd - can anyone report? Thanks!)

I might have to borrow it if my other car is "in the shop" (being serviced), where I might have to take it into precarious situations, but only 5-10% of the time.

Also, 5 speed (320) vs. 6 speed (Varicor 400)?

Any recommendations?

Last edited by SuperFlyBoy : 28th February 2016 at 23:32.
Old 29th February 2016, 00:10   #184
BHPian

Tata Safari Storme Varicor 400 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy View Post

Also, 5 speed (320) vs. 6 speed (Varicor 400)?

Any recommendations?

I am not a varicor 400 owner, yet. But here is my view.
If your driving is predominantly highway then the 6 speed 400 should be at ease. But if you are in city, the higher torque figures may not significantly improve performance figures over 320.
If you are comparing a VX 320 Vs VX 400, it's worth to go for the 400 due to the fact that price difference is not huge.
But an EX vs VX 400? you can stay with EX( for city driving).
Existing Varicor 400 owners can give better insight.
Car&me is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th February 2016, 01:03   #185
BHPian

Quote:
I am not a varicor 400 owner, yet. But here is my view.
If your driving is predominantly highway then the 6 speed 400 should be at ease. But if you are in city, the higher torque figures may not significantly improve performance figures over 320.
If you are comparing a VX 320 Vs VX 400, it's worth to go for the 400 due to the fact that price difference is not huge.
But an EX vs VX 400? you can stay with EX( for city driving).
Existing Varicor 400 owners can give better insight.
Thanks for the feedback.

Yes, higher torque not required for driver's use - but maybe just to get the newer model anyway, as the older one is limited now.

Would only go with VX for the additional features.

Yes, 400 over 320 is not huge - nor is the jump from 400 4x2 to 400 4x4...

Last edited by SuperFlyBoy : 29th February 2016 at 01:04.
Old 29th February 2016, 04:58   #186
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy View Post

Congrats and all the best!

I just wanted some advice on whether to book a 4x4 or a 2wd (without LSD) for a car to be used for a driver. (Hopefully on-road most of the time)

I know for a fact that one of my ex-drivers had a tendency to play around with the 4wd settings on one of my old Safaris, so this is why I am hesitant about booking/taking .........
Taking just the above into consideration. I'll just flatly say 2WD. The LSD is not to be messed with on hard roads and it will be an expensive proposition if the 4WD gear breaks down.
navpreet318 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th February 2016, 09:52   #187
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Taking just the above into consideration. I'll just flatly say 2WD. The LSD is not to be messed with on hard roads and it will be an expensive proposition if the 4WD gear breaks down.
I agree. I have heard stupid driver logic on 4x4. One being: it gives me more power. Other being, it gives me better control (at 100+ kmph on dry roads?? )
apachelongbow is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th February 2016, 12:58   #188
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
Emergency update @ 4697 km. Fuel flap is not opening by switch or Cable. Nikhil.
Dear Nikhil - saw your post just now, thanks, consider it done and sorry for the inconvenience.

Dear Navpreet - only 1075 kms in a day? Oh, come on now! OK, so how was it? You are still short, exactly by 400 kms! I've "been there, done that", with absolutely no compromise on safety! .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th February 2016, 13:03   #189
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISO View Post
Coil is OK only thing it need is WD-40 spray to free plunger...
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
Yes its a Solenoid actuator.

Over seven years now, my safari's fuel release solenoid is still working fine. An occasional dose of wd40 - sprayed proactively, keeping it free.

-BJ
Old 29th February 2016, 13:17   #190
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
I agree. I have heard stupid driver logic on 4x4. One being: it gives me more power. Other being, it gives me better control (at 100+ kmph on dry roads?? )
Agreed - thanks!

Quote:
Correct - thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post

Over seven years now, my safari's fuel release solenoid is still working fine. An occasional dose of wd40 - sprayed proactively, keeping it free.

-BJ
Nothing done for my Dicor for more than 9-10 years and works fine.

Only problem was the metal lock "plate" - or sliver of metal - which the Concorde workshop ordered a completely new fuel flap door for, billed me, painted it, then realized afterwards that they had that piece in stock and could have replaced it!!
Old 29th February 2016, 22:08   #191
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The 400 4X4 is out on a drive. 1075 Kms on a single shot today. Dehradun to Varanasi.
Our varicor has done 700+ in one day. (Latur-Pune-Latur)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Nikhil - saw your post just now, thanks, consider it done and sorry for the inconvenience.
Its replaced under warranty.

Changed E Oil & oil filter at 5000km service.

But the service center guys DIDN'T had any service schedule , so they just changed oil.
Tata Safari Storme Varicor 400 : Official Review-wp_20160226_15_39_41_pro.jpg

Tata Safari Storme Varicor 400 : Official Review-wp_20160226_15_39_54_proy.jpg
Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post
An occasional dose of wd40 - sprayed proactively, keeping it free.
I am going to do the same.

rgds,
Nikhil
jeepster is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2016, 10:52   #192
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am getting my car delivered on Monday. Visited the showroom to check my new Varicor 400. The color I chose was Astern Black, but it's darkest of grey (almost black) with a slight dose of metallic tinge.
An interesting tidbit. As of now, no Tata car is available in pure black, the closest colour is this astern black which is same as the black/dark gray available in the landrover family. The earlier Safari was available in a two toned black (mica) which shone black/dark blue/dark green with flecks of shining mica in light.
Old 4th March 2016, 08:20   #193
BHPian

Astern black is good. A welcome change for me, most of my cars in the past had been black.

Technically they are still selling the safari as well(website says so). Not sure if they have the pure black version in that
Old 4th March 2016, 12:39   #194
BHPian

Quote:
Astern black is good. A welcome change for me, most of my cars in the past had been black.
CONGRATS once again; how much was the waiting period in ur case? I am fixated on Astern black too and got to know from my sales rep that they're never available as ready stock; unlike the white which make up for 99% sales. They'll have to order from factory per confirmed bookings and hence a waiting period of 10-15 days for a 4X2 version.

Quote:
I thought the VX now comes only in the 400 guise and 320 is only in EX and LX; isn't it?
Old 4th March 2016, 12:45   #195
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Awesome! did you reach Puri?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Navpreet - only 1075 kms in a day? Oh, come on now! OK, so how was it? You are still short, exactly by 400 kms! I've "been there, done that", with absolutely no compromise on safety! .
What Sir, you are also short by 700 kilometers! I have "been there, done that", with absolutely no compromise on safety and that too in a humble little Esteem :-)
BlackPearl is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed