Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 5th April 2016, 11:56   #256
BHPian

Re: Tata Safari Storme Varicor 400 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc_zeus View Post
One more noob question regarding the gear shifting. Am shifting the gears around 1500 RPM, without lugging. Is it okay? If I shift around a little higher, in the turbo range, it's too revvy. Someone, I don't remember now, suggested me to shift the gears at higher RPM's and maintain in the turbo range.
I may probably, one of them to advice about changing gear at about 2000-2500 RPM that would maintain the beast in the "power" band.

Prem.
Old 5th April 2016, 12:28   #257
ISO
BANNED

Quote:

One more noob question regarding the gear shifting. Am shifting the gears around 1500 RPM, without lugging. Is it okay? If I shift around a little higher, in the turbo range, it's too revvy. Someone, I don't remember now, suggested me to shift the gears at higher RPM's and maintain in the turbo range.
IMO its not necessary to look RPM meter and shift gear though it is ideal to do so.

Shift gears without lugging engine. Lugging engine means putting strain on engine, engine mounts and transmission.

Ideal gear shifting is keeping engine RPM lowest possible without lugging engine. That way you will get higher fuel efficiency also.
Old 6th April 2016, 14:44   #258
BHPian

Today at noon spotted a white Storme with red number plates(as seen on most test mules) bang opposite TaMo Pimpri plant main gate.

We both were in the opposite direction and moving so could not click any pictures.

Now wondering what more is being tested on the Storme?Can any Bhpians throw some light on it?

Mods: if the post is irrelevant kindly do the needful.

Regards rosaf!
Old 6th April 2016, 17:14   #259
BHPian

Quote:
So I'm right on track regarding gear shifting. Thanks for the info

One more thing I wanted to ask you and other MH guys. Am leaving for Indore next month for a 15 days trip, 1st may to 15th may. Trip is through Hubli, Belgaum, Kolhapur, Pune, Nashik, Dhule and Indore. Is this route okay? Any idea regarding the road condition? total distance is around 1000kms+ one way. NH4 till Pune and NH3 from nashik to Indore. I'll have to be at Indore from 3rd to 12th. remaining days are free. Any places I can visit that time? I initially thought of hill stations, but my last week trip to coorg was a disaster. It was extremely hot there.

Thanks in advance. I didn't know in which thread to ask all these. So my apologies if this is a wrong place.
Dear doc_zeus,

I had been to Nashik from Pune a few months back. I assume the road will not have changed much. There was a lot of road widening work going on. I would suggest that you go via Thane, i.e. Pune -> Thane -> Nashik. As per Google Maps the time taken will be same, fuel consumed may be same and the drive will be stress free. Note: I have done the driving in Jazz V CVT - not a Safari Storme - so what was a headache to me may or may not be a headache to you - just my stupid disclaimer.

Girish Mahajan
Old 6th April 2016, 17:38   #260
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Thanks for the info "comfortablynumb". I checked that thread. But it seems no one's active for past few days.
I was actually planning to drive the whole distance in a day, till Indore. But it seems difficult, after going through that thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKMahajan View Post
I would suggest that you go via Thane, i.e. Pune -> Thane -> Nashik.
Thank you for the details. I'll plan my trip via Thane then. Also, I always wanted to drive the Mumbai-Pune expressway.
doc_zeus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2016, 18:16   #261
BHPian

Doc_zeus you can get the latest update on the route from J.Ravi, he did the stretch last week.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=147751
smekad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2016, 20:36   #262
ISO
BANNED

Doc

I would suggest following places to visit near Pune.
  1. Mahabaleshwar and Mapro garden
  2. Sinhagad Fort
Old 7th April 2016, 09:29   #263
BHPian

Thank you @ ISO and smekad.

Yesterday visited the service centre, as my LHS front door lock wasn't locking or unlocking with the remote. Also the driver window rattle flared up.

The LHS front door latch has been replaced with a new one, as the latch and the central locking have a common connection to door unlocking handle. Felt sad as they performed a minor surgery on the door panel, ripping it apart, just 2 weeks out of the showroom. The LHS ORVM is sluggish after this, making a weird sound on closing and opening. Will check this out during first service.

Regarding the driver window rattle, the hook on the B-pillar, for the driver door latch, isn't correctly aligned to the latch. So on bad roads and speed bumps, this misalignment put pressure on the door and window, twisting them a little bit, making those sounds. Mechanic loosened the hook and gave it a few blows with a hammer and aligned it correctly for the latch. Problem solved.

The rear AC rattle still persists, only heard on bad roads or bumps, and I'll deal with that on the first service.

I was promptly attended by the service rep and three mechanics at the ASC. The mechanics were too good. It looked like they were dealing with such rattles on daily basis. In and out of the service centre in less than 30 mins.
Zero charges.

Last edited by doc_zeus : 7th April 2016 at 09:31.
doc_zeus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2016, 20:09   #264
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosaf View Post
Now wondering what more is being tested on the Storme?Can any Bhpians throw some light on it?!
This might be <2000 CC Storme to tackle NCR ban.
Old 11th April 2016, 10:18   #265
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the advice. Now i remember, yesterday i played with the seat belt adjuster. May be that's the reason. It's funny listening to all noises, as if am watching a horror movie inside the Storme. My OCD with rattles is making me find each and every little noise

As long as you are not lugging the engine, and the car is picking up speed without being sluggish, there are no rattles due very low rpm, then 1500rpm seems about right. The 400nm is re tuned for better torque lower down the rev range. In my Storme the sweet spot is 1700rpm and good acceleration is at about 2000rpm in all gears.
apachelongbow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2016, 19:39   #266

Hi everyone, I've been following this thread for sometime now.

I took delivery of my Safari Storme 400 VX 4x2 silver color, in the end of February this year.

I'm coming from a fairly long sedan experience, have owned 2 Chevy optra magnums b/w 2008-2016 both white and did about 1.3 L kms on each.

Deciding on the car : By chance

I test drove the storme 150 hp last year. It was a mixed kind of a feeling and I really didn't want to shift from a sedan. Owning a safari was more like a childhood dream, which never came true. I got married recently, and the choice of car also had to be more sane'ish (no harm meant towards my fellow married men) Hence, I went ahead and booked a Creta Diesel Manual top end at Blue Hyundai, Mysore Road, Bangalore. This was in December, and then the wait began. I was promised a car towards end of Jan. Around 20 th Jan I was promised a car in next 2 weeks IF I took insurance + some accessories from them, the difference worked out to be a whopping Rs 88,000. The difference in insurance alone was Rs 32,000.

And then Safari Happened :

By now I somehow wanted to get the Creta, and I spoke to the GM at Blue Hyundai, who bluntly said that the car will take another 3-4 months and if I was willing to pay something extra by means of in house insurance and other accessories, he can look into it and deliver in a few days.

That conversation broke it for me. I asked them to cancel the booking and I didn't want that car almost instantly.

Next door was concorde motors, and I 'sighted' a new safari. Since it was late in the evening, I decided to come back next day along with wife for a TD.

The TD:

As soon as we got into the car I was thrilled and appalled at the same time. Thrilled since I was half convinced on buying, appalled by the improvements which were shouting out loud when compared to older safaris. 5 mins into the TD and wife was all smiles and I had a hint of approval. Ticked all my requirements and I didn't have two thoughts about owning a Tata car as I had owned an Indica Vista back in 2008 previously and TASS was always good to me.

Went ahead and booked the car Immediately and I was promised a delivery in 3 weeks since Arctic silver color has slower movement (which I didn't mind) Went in for a silver as my pervious 2 cars were white/pearl white, and wanted to avoid darker colors due to excessive highway use (I somehow believe that lighter the color, easier to spot in low visibility conditions)

The Delivery :

The sales team at Concorde Mysore road Bangalore were more than helpful and infact delivered the car before the committed date, upon my request.

I would like to make a mention of the delivery 'flagoff'. Entire sales team was present for delivery, like an official flag off ceremony tool place. It felt special. I am sure no Hyundai or Honda dealership would treat the customers like this (no offence meant)

The experience till now:

I have done about 5000 on the odo, and I must say I'm a thoroughly satisfied customer. In fact I'm glad I bought a Safari. The sheer size, comfort and driving experience is unmatched and has me smiling end to end everytime I drive!

Thanksgiving :

I would like to thank all the members for informative posts here and Behram sir for all the knowledge sharing.

Thank you all.

Sharing a few pics
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Safari Storme Varicor 400 : Official Review-20160218_184452.jpg  

Tata Safari Storme Varicor 400 : Official Review-20160218_200238-2.jpg  

Tata Safari Storme Varicor 400 : Official Review-20160218_183506.jpg  

vibsvibes is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th April 2016, 22:50   #267
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibsvibes View Post
Hi everyone, I've been following this thread for sometime now.

I took delivery of my Safari Storme 400 VX 4x2 silver color, in the end of February this year.
Congrats!

Also bought the exact same model on the day of Budget 2016.

However, I am finding that the rear AC being switched off every time you start the car pretty annoying.

The original Safari had a mechanical button that could be kept depressed/locked down in place, the Dicor (which I have) doesn't have a rear AC option (it is controlled on the fan switch on the roof/on the rear AC unit), but this one has an electronic button that needs to be turned on each time and goes off when you switch the car off.

This is pretty annoying.

Has anyone found a fix to hardwire this to stay on all the time?

Having to remind the driver to turn it on all the time is a bit of a pain...
Old 21st April 2016, 12:35   #268
ISO
BANNED

Congrats vibsvibes

Pl. post some daytime photo of your Safari
Old 21st April 2016, 13:34   #269
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy View Post
but this one has an electronic button that needs to be turned on each time and goes off when you switch the car off.

This is pretty annoying.

This is a feature not a problem. People travel either alone or as a couple most of the time in most cars hence this design. If it was left ON then there would be power loss due to unnecessary cooling of rear area of the car. Look at this feature as environmental /car friendly feature.
DieselFan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st April 2016, 17:58   #270
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy View Post
Hi SuperFlyBoy,

I am not a auto geek but from the basic understanding of how things work, in all probability the A/C switch is a "push to on, push to off" switch.

You can TRY to have another similar switch connected in parallel to the existing connection. This way you can on/off the A/C yourself.

NOTE: make a temporary connection right near the existing switch to check if it works. Only if found working then you can pull a wire to the rear at place the switch at a convenient location.

Attached is the pic of the switch I am referring to.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Safari Storme Varicor 400 : Official Review-capture.jpg  

T-Bone is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed