Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 27th May 2016, 12:24   #331

Re: Tata Safari Storme Varicor 400 : Official Review

Is there any news about the launch of 1.99 lt Storme for Delhi NCR? Earlier, someone from a dealership told me that it will come around Jun 19 along with HEXA. I had called various dealers in the last few days, but it seems nobody has any clue about the launch.
Old 27th May 2016, 14:31   #332
BHPian

My next door dealer has no news on this, the poor fellow has a Varicor 400 standing in his yard for past 6 months. Easiest way to buy a storme in NCR if someone is willing to put in an effort, find an acquaintance/family/friend residing outside NCR, you can register your car on his/her address with some minor documentation which varies in UK/UP/Haryana and voila it's done albeit the car will be non DL/HR26/UP16 etc.
1.99lt engine will be certain to lose some goodies egs torque in case of Scorpio.
saurabh sharma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2016, 10:50   #333

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabh sharma View Post
1.99lt engine will be certain to lose some goodies egs torque in case of Scorpio.
Are you sure that with the reduced engine capacity, it will lose out on torque? I understood that same torque can be achieved. In the case of Scorpio, is it a customer feedback or as published by the manufacturer? Thanks for your advice in this matter.
Old 30th May 2016, 14:41   #334
BHPian

Just checked again, it is not the Scorpio, rather 1.99lt XUV which has marginally lesser torque by 10Nm. Scorpio torque figure is the same as in 2.2lt. engine.
saurabh sharma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2016, 18:29   #335
BHPian

Hi Folks, Not sure if this is the right thread to post this query. I own a refreshed Storme EX (Jan'16) 320 NM. Me and a friend are going to his estate in the nilgiris (Gudalur) in august which is a regular drive from chennai for me. Twist is on the return we are bringing his dad's 15 yr old stock MM540 jeep back for an engine transplant in Chennai.

The jeep is in decent mechanical shape and does the duties inside the estate very well but hasn't seen city roads or long drives for a while. To not push the Jeep to its old age limits, we are splitting the return journey of 600 kms into 2 segments of about 300 km (stopover at hosur) each day. Having planned that, we wanted to be prepared for any breakdown with the jeep on the highway, mainly the ability of the storme to tow the MM540.

So the questions are:
1. Can the storme tow the MM540 especially over a longer distance, let's say 100 Kms?
2. Any specific precautions to be taken? am sure towing will have to be at a slow speed 20-30 kph?

Looking forward to some responses!
Old 1st June 2016, 09:04   #336
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seek View Post

So the questions are:
1. Can the storme tow the MM540 especially over a longer distance, let's say 100 Kms?
2. Any specific precautions to be taken? am sure towing will have to be at a slow speed 20-30 kph?

Simple answer: No! The Storme is not geared for towing duties unlike large US spec SUV. It has no rated towing abilities as per its manual. Even the gearing is for long distance high speed cruising, unless using 4x4 low and that can't be used in tarmac driving.
apachelongbow is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st June 2016, 12:53   #337
ISO
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seek View Post

So the questions are:

IMO it should be no problem. I'm stating this purely from logical point.

Since there is only driver in the Safari, it should not be very stressful for it to do so. I may be wrong here.

Only thing I would suggest is "Towing Rod" and not rope for this operation.
ISO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2016, 18:09   #338
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISO View Post

Since there is only driver in the Safari, it should not be very stressful for it to do so. I may be wrong here.

I checked on my Storme and there is no tow ball mechanism, unlike the Aria. So I am sure I can't tow a trailer/car behind. There is a tow hook, which is used to extract my car if needed, not to be used by me to tow something else. Some experts can shed light on this please...
apachelongbow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2016, 18:25   #339
BHPian

Also, please check if it is legal to tow a vehicle on the highways. I suspect we are not supposed to do so.
skumare is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2016, 20:17   #340
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
Simple answer: No! The Storme is not geared for towing duties unlike large US spec SUV. It has no rated towing abilities as per its manual. Even the gearing is for long distance high speed cruising, unless using 4x4 low and that can't be used in tarmac driving.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ISO View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by skumare View Post
Also, please check if it is legal to tow a vehicle on the highways. I suspect we are not supposed to do so.
Thanks for the views especially about the legality thing. I can imagine the potential dangers of a slow moving storme with a jeep behind it on a fast stretch like the bangalore-chennai highway. Looks like a bad idea.

BD Sir, any comments on the towing ability front?
Old 2nd June 2016, 00:37   #341
Senior - BHPian

Why don't you get it loaded into a truck and moved to the desired location. Will cost you just slightly more than what you'll be spending on towing it with your Storme.
Also it will save you the hassle of towing and possible damage to your Storme which might crop up in the future if not now. I got my Honda Civic transported from Pune to Dehradun for 16K through aggrawal movers and packers. You should be able to get it done in some 6-7K if you take a regular transport truck. Maybe even lesser if you can plan to put it on an empty returning truck.

Last edited by navpreet318 : 2nd June 2016 at 00:55.
navpreet318 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2016, 06:46   #342
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
Why don't you get it loaded into a truck and moved to the desired location. Will cost you just slightly more than what you'll be spending on towing it with your Storme.
Hi navpreet, the towing question is more from an emergency / Breakdown front. Primary plan is to drive the jeep down to chennai at a relaxed speed.
Old 2nd June 2016, 08:06   #343
Senior - BHPian

Exactly. Driving down with both vehicles will cost you close to tankfulls each. Nearly 5k in Deisel and some more in tolls. That's why my point to get it trucked. It's not exactly going to be fun driving a vintage jeep slowly on a highway. And to top it off, risk it breaking down and incurring additional expenses.
Old 2nd June 2016, 11:46   #344
ISO
BANNED

Dear Navpreet

You have used previous generation of Safari cars and now latest. I have few questions.

How often do the injectors get chocked up?

Is it due to bad Diesel quality?

How costly it is to service choked injectors.

Is it still possible to drive car with choked up injectors?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by GTO : 6th June 2016 at 13:53. Reason: Typos
Old 2nd June 2016, 22:45   #345
Senior - BHPian

In all our safaris, we got regular services done. Injector cleaning procedures were done according to service requirements. We never had any issues with injectors choking up. I never remember them choking in either the 2L or the 3L one. Yes services were extremely expensive averaging over 20k on a regular basis. Our biggest problems were with the suspension, body etc. 3L engine never gave any troubles at all. Though we had a turbo failure in the 2L.
Regular injector cleaning costs may be found from Tata themselves. I don't remember as of now.

Most Viewed