Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2017, 14:41   #541
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Safari Storme Varicor 400 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_rider View Post
This is expected response. Its mentioned in audio system manual.
The manual says the ongoing call will continue even after taking out the key but it does not say that another call will be connected through the switched off vehicle. May be I did not read it carefully, will do when I reach home today.

Anyways, does it mean that all call will be connected through system if my phone Bluetooth is on and I am any in range of the parked car?
Old 10th May 2017, 19:35   #542
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
The manual says the ongoing call will continue even after taking out the key but it does not say that another call will be connected through the switched off vehicle. May be I did not read it carefully, will do when I reach home today.

Anyways, does it mean that all call will be connected through system if my phone Bluetooth is on and I am any in range of the parked car?
Ok, so I was not completely right the first time. Powered down audio system will not connect over bluetooth to your phone.

I'll explain how it must've happened with you. It takes some time for audio system to shut itself down, some 5-6 seconds ... you must've received the next call within that small window of time, after getting off the first call. And since new call was received while audio system was still powered up, the bluetooth connection was retained and audio was routed to car stereo.

One more thing to notice, even when audio system is turned off using the on/off button (not powered down by taking key out), bluetooth connection is made/retained.
black_rider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2017, 20:23   #543
AAD
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_rider View Post
Ok, so I was not completely right the first time. Powered down audio system will not connect over bluetooth to your phone.

I'll explain how it must've happened with you. It takes some time for audio system to shut itself down, some 5-6 seconds ... you must've received the next call within that small window of time, after getting off the first call. And since new call was received while audio system was still powered up, the bluetooth connection was retained and audio was routed to car stereo.

One more thing to notice, even when audio system is turned off using the on/off button (not powered down by taking key out), bluetooth connection is made/retained.

I would like to add my observation here. I have an iPhone and when I connect my phone to my car over Bluetooth, the inbuilt Apple Maps shows me the position of my parked car even when the ignition is switched off and I have removed the keys from ignition and locked the car

I think what Apple Maps does is that it remembers the position of the Car parked last and shows the same on the map. I guess if someone were to move the car and drive away, Apple Maps will lose track of the vehicle since it relies only on Bluetooth connection

The behaviour of the audio unit as per the earlier post could also be a part of similar feature where the Bluetooth remains active for a while even after shutting off. Just as you rightly pointed out

Cheers,
Old 22nd June 2017, 16:00   #544
BHPian

An Year and 15000 Kms Later...!!

Trying to pen a short review of my 400 as I am too lazy to start a thread!

In a nutshell, it has been an interesting and satisfactory first year of ownership. Frankly, this being my first Tata car and coming from owning a trouble free Maruti (Ritz) for 6 long years, I was quite skeptical to go for the Storme given the bad TASS reviews. But then, when has it ever been about the mind when it comes to cars with us petrol-heads!? The Safari has always been able to tug at the heart, even when it was launched back in 1998 with a puny engine. The aura around it has always fascinated me, so much so that even the rare first-second gen models make me have a second glance, if I do find one on the road. One of the biggest reasons I was able to overcome my skepticism was when it was finally blessed by our very own and beloved BD Sir, in the form of 400. And after a brief TD of one back in Nov 2015, I was completely sold on getting one.

My usage pattern is mostly concentrated to daily office commute and occasional highway runs (1000-1500 kms/month). So far, the only long trip I've done was the Hyd-Bhilai-Hyd trip via Nagpur and it was an amazing one at that. This thing does have outstanding mile-munching abilities, and without breaking a sweat. With a relatively new car at hand, which I was still learning, the 780 odd kms were covered in less than 12 hours both ways. We were 3.5 (.5 being my 9 mth old son) on board with the boot filled to 2/3rd level. On our return though it was filled to the brim, along with 100 kg worth rice sacks, courtesy my in-laws! However, the full boot notwithstanding, even in 6th gear overtaking was a breeze with just a flex of the right foot! It really is a pity why Tata took so long to give Safari an engine/GB which it always deserved. It still is a pity, on the interiors front as the competition offers much better in the form of touch screens, ACC etc. It bugs me how Tata decided to somehow re-engineer a monumental (sales) failure ARIA, to launch the HEXA, when they could've easily achieved much better sales (and margin) had they just redone Storme properly (inside out)! I guess every Tata (car) thread on this forum now has this fact pretty much established, how long and arduous Tata's product development and launch life cycle is!? Wonder if Tata acknowledges it, and are doing something about it; I really hope!

Anyway, fanboy comments aside, let me try to pen down the ownership experience so far:

Engine- ample torque on offer.
GB- Sixth cog is an advantage and really good for highway cruising.
Amazing ride quality, beats the competition hands-down IMO.
Commanding view of the road; easily manageable in B2B traffic.
Small turning radius (for its size) helps in city traffic
Truck loads of space.
The Harmon Kardonn ICE really good for an OE equipment.
Improved TASS experience.
No major niggles so far.
10-11 KMPL with AC on (95%)

Dislikes:
Interiors- Lacks any modern creature comfort in the form of touch screen ICE, cruise control, keyless entry etc.
Notchy and long throw gear shifts; does not like quick shifting.
Quality niggles persist; rattles cropped up in only months after taking delivery.
TASS experience is still average at best; building a rapport with SA helps.
Entry/Exit is tricky (specially old age folks) because of the height; wonder why Tata discontinued the A-pillar handles; would've loved to have them.
No protective plate for the rear-bumper, to avoid scratches during entry/exit.
Turbo lag/weight disadvantage felt below 1200 RPM, specially while negotiating inclines.

Issues/Complaints:
A/C Temperature control knob not working; replaced under AMC/warranty.
Nagging rattle from driver's door since first service; solved now in 3rd service
Front Cabin light conked off in the first 8 months; replaced now under AMC/warranty
Side mouldings got unstuck from few areas on the body; repaired with glue.
Rear camera malfunctioned; replaced under accessory warranty from dealer.
A 1mmX2MM (approx) size paint piece chipped off from the Drivers side door sill, just below the lock hinge; touched-up in 3rd Service.
Owner's manual mentions ambient temperature display on the LCD console, but this feature is not there.
Can't scroll through the call log (list) using the steering wheel control; has to be operated from the ICE knob.
The ICE display is so far below on the center console that it becomes a significant risk taking your eyes off the road.

Planned DIY Mods:
Hardwired Dashcam: Already procured Viofo A119 from Aliexpress in May this year.
Extra Charging point on the front centre console: I know I could just utilize the cigarette lighter point but don't want to as it'd spoil the OE look. The dummy for the 4X4 switch is where I want to put this; hoping that might complete the functional look of that area.
Extra LED Driving lights: Have been wanting to get a pair installed but mount points is where I am getting stuck; don't want to mount them ahead of the front grille. Had seen one where they were mounted just below the A-Pillars (bonnet line) and had loved it. No luck so far finding an installer though.

Attaching few pics for your viewing pleasure; feel free to comment.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Safari Storme Varicor 400 : Official Review-img_20170611_170015.jpg  

Tata Safari Storme Varicor 400 : Official Review-img_20170611_170053.jpg  

Tata Safari Storme Varicor 400 : Official Review-img_20170618_114208.jpg  

avinash_m is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2017, 17:19   #545
BHPian

3 years of Storme ownership 55k on the odo. Completely satisfied and do not even think of parting away from it. Will probably upgrade to the next generation one when it is out -
an emotion also shared by SA at Mercedes showroom when my wife and I went out to checkout the CLA for purchase and he asked what I drive now. When I answered Storme he said Sir I dont think you will exchange that nothing beats the Safari presence..I smiles and then he said let me work out some other suitable financial package for you.
garyag79 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th June 2017, 14:10   #546
Senior - BHPian

Re: An Year and 15000 Kms Later...!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by avinash_m View Post
In a nutshell, it has been an interesting and satisfactory first year of ownership. Frankly, this being my first Tata car and coming from owning a trouble free Maruti (Ritz) for 6 long years, I was quite skeptical to go for the Storme given the bad TASS reviews. But then, when has it ever been about the mind when it comes to cars with us petrol-heads!? The Safari has always been able to tug at the heart, even when it was launched back in 1998 with a puny engine. The aura around it has always fascinated me, so much so that even the rare first-second gen models make me have a second glance, if I do find one on the road. One of the biggest reasons I was able to overcome my skepticism was when it was finally blessed by our very own and beloved BD Sir, in the form of 400. And after a brief TD of one back in Nov 2015, I was completely sold on getting one.
Exactly the same is my story. The only difference is the Swift instead of Ritz.

Quote:
Dislikes:
wonder why Tata discontinued the A-pillar handles; would've loved to have them.
No protective plate for the rear-bumper, to avoid scratches during entry/exit.
Turbo lag/weight disadvantage felt below 1200 RPM, specially while negotiating inclines.

Issues/Complaints:
A/C Temperature control knob not working; replaced under AMC/warranty.

Can't scroll through the call log (list) using the steering wheel control; has to be operated from the ICE knob.
  • I really miss the A-pillar handle. It would have made life much easier.
  • I have broken black part of rear bumper twice. Will get custom metal bumper after the summers.
  • Turbo lag is too much to handle on steep inclines but I guess its there on all SUVs. Need bit more of experience to tackle them.
  • TASS is not ready to accept that there is any issue. Have to push them this time to resolve it.
  • Missing scroll function for call list is foolish omission. i did not know that we can use ICE knob for this. Thanks for informing.
sourabhzen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2017, 22:26   #547
BHPian

Quote:
The only difference is the Swift instead of Ritz.

Quote:
[*]I have broken black part of rear bumper twice. Will get custom metal bumper after the summers.
I caught that on youtube and was And then felt a bit sad not going for the 4X4, it is indeed fun!

Quote:
Turbo lag is too much to handle on steep inclines but I guess its there on all SUVs. Need bit more of experience to tackle them.
True; though I'd not say I've aced it, it is much more manageable now. My city use (primarily) has made me learn the sweet spot of this turbo diesel.
avinash_m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2017, 16:22   #548
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I caught that on Youtube and was And then felt a bit sad not going for the 4X4, it is indeed fun!

True; though I'd not say I've aced it, it is much more manageable now. My city use (primarily) has made me learn the sweet spot of this turbo diesel.
4X4 is indeed fun! I waited long to convince my family for the same.

I am quite used to turbo lag even in hills. Till date it was only one incident where the climb was too steep and road was just a single lane where I struggled a bit. The other cars on that road were all local Alto Taxis whose drivers were regular on that road. Somehow I felt they were deliberately coming in my way to break my momentum. I was not sure about the way too so had to stop at a hair pin bend and turbo lag made things bit uncomfortable.
sourabhzen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2017, 21:07   #549
BHPian

Quote:
The other cars on that road were all local Alto Taxis whose drivers were regular on that road.
And the fact that they're feather weight FWDs only makes it that much easier for them on those hills.

Quote:
Somehow I felt they were deliberately coming in my way to break my momentum.
Old 1st July 2017, 08:28   #550
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
. I was not sure about the way too so had to stop at a hair pin bend and turbo lag made things bit uncomfortable.
Why not use 4L? If the turning radius wasn't very tight.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2017, 09:36   #551
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Why not use 4L? If the turning radius wasn't very tight.
It was tight hair-pin turn and 4L would be risky on cemented road.
Later on the same road I was given wrong directions towards equally steep but downward road. I reversed using 4L and it was a breeze.
Old 6th July 2017, 19:00   #552
BHPian

Need help from fellow storme owners. My 2015 storme (refreshed model) rattles when the A/C is on. Noise comes after running the A/C for some time, say more than 10 to 15 minutes. I feel it is coming from somewhere on the left side of the dashboard. This noise vanishes when I change the airflow settings to windscreen/footwell position (4th on the knob).

Other than this, the beast is all fine. Has completed 33,100kms in 2 years and service cost is just under 10k INR.
Old 9th July 2017, 14:25   #553
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BipB View Post
Need help from fellow storme owners. My 2015 storme (refreshed model) rattles when the A/C is on. Noise comes after running the A/C for some time, say more than 10 to 15 minutes. I feel it is coming from somewhere on the left side of the dashboard. This noise vanishes when I change the airflow settings to windscreen/footwell position (4th on the knob).

Other than this, the beast is all fine. Has completed 33,100kms in 2 years and service cost is just under 10k INR.
Probably some issue with the AC nozzles? The grill has come loose or something?
chinkara is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2017, 16:48   #554
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinkara View Post
Probably some issue with the AC nozzles? The grill has come loose or something?
Yes, it could be. I am just afraid of removing the whole dashboard which might create more problems!
Old 29th July 2017, 18:23   #555
BHPian

An Oil Leak from the turbo?

Folks,

Upon a casual check of the engine bay today, noticed an oil smeared pipe down the turbo? Is it normal? Attaching pics for reference;
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Safari Storme Varicor 400 : Official Review-img_20170729_164053.jpg  

Tata Safari Storme Varicor 400 : Official Review-img_20170729_164114.jpg  

Tata Safari Storme Varicor 400 : Official Review-img_20170729_164304.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks