Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2017, 10:35   #571
BHPian

Re: Tata Safari Storme Varicor 400 : Official Review

Quote:
True, but the 6 speed GB in the V400 (VX), along with the additional torque, makes it a much better cruiser on highways. Do consider that as it is quite apparent on the smooth highways we get to cruise on these days. I've had Storme (Dicor) owners coming up to me, inquiring specifically about the additional cog and comparing the cruising abilities of the two. Few who drove immediately found it better than the Dicor engined Storme.
agreed, will take that into consideration, in which case given the price differential between EX and VX variants, and for a few dollars more ( lots of dollars) i might as well go out the entire 9 yards and bring home the 4x4.

Quote:
Buddy, your story sounds like mine! We (with wifey) went to TD Duster, XUV and Storme. Duster didn't even make it to the road; was rejected outright for lack of space and being too car-like. Next came the Storme V400 which she loved! Finally, it just took a 10 min TD in the XUV to decide what we were going for! In fact, after the Storme TD she wasn't even keen on TDing the XUV; but I still persuaded her to have one, as I wanted to know her layman thoughts, and she almost echoed mine. I never told her that I'd secretly TDed the V400 (on my own) just when it came out and was already sold on it
during my initial research, i did come across lot of threads on the pull of heart vs mind and i did read through yours, hence i know the story, albeit its getting replayed at my end, with wifey okaying either Endy or Storme, and pure reluctance on Scorpio, for reasons best left unexplored. Full support on Storme is the current scenario, the only Y fork in the path was what i laid out (Ex vs Vx), which am pretty sure is made up now

Quote:
Whichever version you decide to go for, please plan on taking Gold AMC and Extended warranty; that'd give you complete piece of mind. Tata ASCs are improving but they still need to cover a lot of ground! It'd be a good idea to build a rapport with the dealership service center, has its own advantages.
Absolutely, no two ways about it, i actually was better informed on the offers of AMC and what it entails, as well as the niggles that come with the ownership of the beast. In fact i told the salesman, dude , you are lucky since you actually dont have to sell me the story, i know what i want, i just want you to reconfirm the numbers and lay out additional freebies that i want. Incidentally, we will be replacing both of our Fords with both of Tatas, so its a double whammy for the guy, with a Storme and tiago/tigor sale in offing. I read somewhere in the threads that gold is for 3 years with an option for 4th year EW, is my inference correct? i will any way be checking with the sales guy, but would want to be armed better than what he can throw at me.

On the A.S.S part they have their own centre in Okhla, which i need to check out given that this will be critical for a long and smooth ownership and performance output. I will also read up on the reviews of the different A.S.S around South delhi/Noida , given that now, 2 cars will be going to the same place.

Quote:
Look forward to welcome another Storme and its owner into this forum :-)

CHEERS!!
Well i cant tell you how much i am looking forward to be a part of this and the advent of long cruises and trips that come with

slightly Off topic: Interestingly, during the TD, the sales guy was letting me know that i should check TBhp for actual stories on Storme and i was grinning ear to ear, he was like" sir, iss forum me aapko sacchai milegi , on where we do good and where we dont" and i told him, that i am a member and have done my research prior to coming to him, also told him that concorde rates better than him, for which his reply, was that they are relatively new and will look forward to +ve reviews . Interestingly he has sold to some of the TBhp folks and was giving me the references, from which point only, he digressed to pitch the EX 4x2, along with glowing reviews from an member in services who had handled it in across region and during chennai floods as well.
Old 20th August 2017, 13:30   #572
BHPian

Quote:
I read somewhere in the threads that gold is for 3 years with an option for 4th year EW, is my inference correct?
They are actually two different schemes which would've to be bought separately. AMC obviously covers service along with consumables for the 3 years/60K kms whereas EW comes into effect in the 4th year and will cover only certain aspects. Good thing with EW+AMC though is, god-forbid should there be such a major repair that may crop up in the 4th year (under EW only) and which may not be liable under EW, Tata usually has been flexible enough to cover it for customers. At least, this is what I've seen/heard on this forum and also gotten a verbal confirmation from my dealer. It is subjective though and purely depends on dealer discretion (PR will help here) and how they take it up with Tata.
Old 25th August 2017, 09:46   #573
BHPian

Update:
1. Booked the beast yesterday with pearl white colour, 4x4 what else . It seems thats the one which is being manufactured in the plant and available for purchase. rest colours it seems are either being held back or not enough orders to warrant manufacture specially the sky grey.

2. ETD of the vehicle is by week of 10th or later, i am trying to push it earlier, as my understanding is that the same is being manufactured and ready for dispatch in a couple of days( not sure on this though)

3. Accessories inputs sought, while it is pretty personal to the extent of accessorizing, still from what i gathered across different threads is as below:
a. Seat covers
b. PVC floor mats
c. plastic /PVC wrap across the body? ( not sure on its availability in delhi/NCR)
d. bull guards, front back?
e. rear camera(getting installed at dealer)

wrt above, while (e) above is being fulfilled at dealer, wanted to check on the inputs wrt the rest of points, are these standard recommended accessories? Or
what else would be recommended specifically keeping Delhi NCR in mind,
also will palika kendra at Bhikaji have all of above as accessories, or do we have a standard dealer/outlet with discounts for TBHP, where in rest of the vehicles are decked up?

Inputs as always appreciated and eagerly awaited.

thanks
iamwhatiam_okay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2017, 12:28   #574
BHPian

Quote:
Booked the beast yesterday with pearl white colour, 4x4 what else
Congrats!!

Quote:
c. plastic /PVC wrap across the body? ( not sure on its availability in delhi/NCR)
I am guessing the wrap is for protecting the paint; I've 3M paint protection film on the bumpers only and that's served me well so far. But am guessing it won't be a good idea given that you're going for white. You could look at ceramic coating as well, as an option.
Please do not put bull bars in front for safety reasons; you could do so for the rear to protect from minor bumps. But make sure they don't mess/foul with the parking sensors and the silencer outlets.

Hope this helps..
avinash_m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2017, 18:38   #575
BHPian

a. Seat covers
b. PVC floor mats

Bull bars not recommended. Storme is robust enough and bull bars are actually worse for safety. Discussed in many threds.
Old 26th August 2017, 11:59   #576
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamwhatiam_okay View Post
Update:
1. Booked the beast yesterday with pearl white colour, 4x4 what else .

3. Accessories inputs sought, while it is pretty personal to the extent of accessorizing, still from what i gathered across different threads is as below:
a. Seat covers
b. PVC floor mats

Inputs as always appreciated and eagerly awaited.

thanks
Congratulations!
  • No need to install seat covers unless you want leatherette or leather. Yearly dry cleaning makes the existing covers as good as new.
  • Wrap is purely aesthetic choice, will not serve any functional purpose.
  • I would advise you against installing the bull guards as they will compromise safety in front. In rear the departure angle of Storme is pathetic to say the least. Metal guard will spoil it even further. Get off road bumpers at rear if you really want.
  • Rear camera is good to have.

You must change the Dueller H/T tyres to some good A/T tyres immediately upon purchase. Do speak with dealers in advance to get the best deals. You wont get any deal after a few hundred kms.
sourabhzen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2017, 21:57   #577
BANNED

Quote:
a. Seat covers
b. PVC floor mats
Palika/Karol Bagh etc will not have all the accessories you are looking for since the Safari doesn't sell that much any more and hence they don't see sense in stocking accessories for it.

Coming to your intended list, I recommend the following:

a. Fabric seat covers with leatherette sides. Long lasting, looks good and easily cleaned while protecting the OE fabric.

b. Noodle/rubber floor mats not PVC, they slip.

c. PPF/wrap for the ORVMs, front & rear bumpers, door handles and sills. That should suffice.

d. None at all. They don't suit this vehicle.

e. Yes, also plonk in a GPS tracker, a front dash cam, a tire pump, puncture kit and a pair of jump start cables/jump start kit.

Waiting for the pictures of your truck now.
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2017, 12:08   #578
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
Congratulations!
Thanks

Quote:
You must change the Dueller H/T tyres to some good A/T tyres immediately upon purchase. Do speak with dealers in advance to get the best deals. You wont get any deal after a few hundred kms.
Tyres are bridgestone as per dealer. Will check on this and revert. thanks for the heads up wrt above.
Old 27th August 2017, 12:19   #579
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Palika/Karol Bagh etc will not have all the accessories you are looking for since the Safari doesn't sell that much any more and hence they don't see sense in stocking accessories for it.
Okie, though i did the initial recee with wifey at palika kendra opposite to BCP , ring road. Managed to find seat covers and rest of the accessories list as mentioned above to get a feel on the $$ outflow and time.

replies below in bold:-
Quote:
Coming to your intended list, I recommend the following:

a. Fabric seat covers with leatherette sides. Long lasting, looks good and easily cleaned while protecting the OE fabric.
check, found nice one of dolpin approx 13k, dunno if price is right, covers seemed good
b. Noodle/rubber floor mats not PVC, they slip.
Oh ok, didnt know that PVC slips, my assessment was from reading in various threads that it prevents dirtying up of the carpet and better. Will keep this in mind

c. PPF/wrap for the ORVMs, front & rear bumpers, door handles and sills. That should suffice.
OK, where to source this from ? not sure if its available at palika kendra

d. None at all. They don't suit this vehicle.
Sigh, seems to the consistent inputs on the query, will take into consideration

e. Yes, also plonk in a GPS tracker, a front dash cam, a tire pump, puncture kit and a pair of jump start cables/jump start kit.
Okie, any brands to look out for?

Waiting for the pictures of your truck now.
Me 2
Finally, on the change wrt the tyre, need inputs as per Sourabhzen, since i had'nt thought on these lines, would'nt bridgestone be sufficient? Apologies for this query if its too basic.
Old 27th August 2017, 13:11   #580
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks
Tyres are bridgestone as per dealer. Will check on this and revert. thanks for the heads up wrt above.
Bridgestone Dueller H/T are standard tyres that come with Safari. They are very good for highways and last really long. However, when you are buying a 4x4 you intend to take it at places where a normal 4x2 won't go. That is the time you will want to have all terrain (A/T) tyres. You can get good deals when they are new, that is on first day. Almost all review of Storme 4x4 crib on this point. I, for one, did not get the tyres changed and not I repent.

Other accessories I would suggest are-
  • DRL from TATA. They look dam good on Storme
  • Door visors are quite useful in rains.
  • GPS tracker and gear lock as cars are never safe in NCR (I am bit extra careful here)

P.s. get accessories that are functional and are required from dealership initially. You can always add others with time. You may also get anti rust coating for under body.

Last edited by sourabhzen : 27th August 2017 at 13:16.
Old 27th August 2017, 14:18   #581
BHPian

Quote:
Bridgestone Dueller H/T are standard tyres that come with Safari. They are very good for highways and last really long. However, when you are buying a 4x4 you intend to take it at places where a normal 4x2 won't go. That is the time you will want to have all terrain (A/T) tyres. You can get good deals when they are new, that is on first day. Almost all review of Storme 4x4 crib on this point. I, for one, did not get the tyres changed and not I repent.
Meeting dealer today,will check and see the $$ difference and proceed as per the state on ground

Quote:
Other accessories I would suggest are-
  • DRL from TATA. They look dam good on Storme
  • Door visors are quite useful in rains.
  • GPS tracker and gear lock as cars are never safe in NCR (I am bit extra careful here)
DRL, hadnt thought of, Visors being bundled in by Dealer. GPS tracker- any particular make in mind, wrt gear lock - of course yes!!

Quote:
P.s. get accessories that are functional and are required from dealership initially. You can always add others with time. You may also get anti rust coating for under body.
Makes sense on accessorizing and the antirust coating. will find out . thanks
Old 27th August 2017, 14:24   #582
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
GPS tracker- any particular make in mind,
I got Autocop trackpro from dealer.
Also , please read "now I repent" instead of "not I repent" in my last comment.
Old 27th August 2017, 14:58   #583
BHPian

Quote:
I got Autocop trackpro from dealer.
Also , please read "now I repent" instead of "not I repent" in my last comment.
thanks. spoke with dealer, no possibility of changing the tyres as they dont carry tyres with them, if it has to be done , its possible only outside with a normal tyre shop.

will see on this as it progresses. PDI upcoming for the truck by End of week
Old 27th August 2017, 15:17   #584
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
thanks. spoke with dealer, no possibility of changing the tyres as they dont carry tyres with them, if it has to be done , its possible only outside with a normal tyre shop.

will see on this as it progresses. PDI upcoming for the truck by End of week
That's how us done. Speak to a tyre dealer and closer the deal. Take your car to him on delivery day and get the tyres changed.

I have done 20k plus in last 10 months and taken it to some mild off roading too. Trust me, AT tyres would have been helpful in many situations.

Having said that, it's all up to one's usage.
Old 27th August 2017, 15:34   #585
BHPian

Quote:
That's how us done. Speak to a tyre dealer and closer the deal. Take your car to him on delivery day and get the tyres changed.

I have done 20k plus in last 10 months and taken it to some mild off roading too. Trust me, AT tyres would have been helpful in many situations.

Having said that, it's all up to one's usage.
Working on it full speed ,with wifey more interested in the entire spectrum of change than me , its currently coming to a difference of 2k/tyre for michellin AT instead of the stock fitted Bridgestone ones. ie 10k for all the 5. Given that the PDI is scheduled within this week and delivery expected soon, will push back the tyre guy and see if i can wrangle some more discount on the same.

cheers
iamwhatiam_okay is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed