Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st January 2016, 01:55   #46
BHPian

Tata Safari Storme Varicor 400 : Official Review

Exciting review ACM and Tushar !!! Rated 5 Stars !! You covered everything which was required for this update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burn_out View Post
The Safari always has been a poster boy for me and this updated drivetrain definitely does not disappoint. Though many would want to see the design evolve, I for one like the boxy proportions and want the legend to stay true to its roots.
You said it !! I like the old school, dashing, imposing exteriors which Storme comes with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Considering a 6-speed AT is supposed to be coming in the Hexa, why not? Tata has certainly not given up on the Storme & these frequent updates show just that. In fact, the Storme is more important to them (in terms of sales) than the Aria.
AT/4x4/400 will be an awesome team. I am day dreaming !

Just like the XUV became so much more complete, would love to see the Storme getting the same treatment from Tata. Throw in a few niceties like Touch screen ICE, Reverse Cam, ACC, Keyless Entry/go and I dont see any reason (apart from after sales/service as mentioned by few), why Storme won't fly off the shelves.

Though I believe that the Storme has got its basics right and the gizmos dont really matter for Safari fans, but they DO act as a deal breaker/maker for a product from a regular customer's point of view. The customer should feel the worth of his money and these tangible features, to some extent, help in inculcating that feeling.

They just need to get rid of the 320 Variant and especially Dicor to eliminate the possibility of frequent niggles/issues being reported which will help them accentuate their image in after sales department.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
1) Fortuner is about 40% more expensive than the Storme VX Varicor 400

That said the Storme is great value for what it offers.
A very crisp comparo you did with the Fortuner, ACM.

Just to add, the Fortuner is not just 40% but much more expensive than the Storme.

Fortuner 3.0 4x4 MT - 32.04L OTR South Mumbai

Storme Varicor 400 4x4 - 17.37L OTR South Mumbai

Almost 85 % !! With that, I second your statement that Storme is great value for what it offers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaviprem View Post

If cost is what we are talking, start comparing every car [sedans and premium hatches] that are in same segment. I dont see this happening any time.
As already mentioned, a consumer will first decide what category/shape of vehicle he/she wants. Then they decide their budget and then lookout for options.

A prospective customer might sway away and look for options within the same body style and rarely among different body style. A person looking for a Duster/Creta might consider Scorpio/Storme/XUV or vice versa but would rarely(please don't read rarely as never) think of City/Vento/Verna/Ciaz.

Last edited by GTO : 1st January 2016 at 19:19. Reason: Removing excessive spacing from your post.
mayank0782 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st January 2016, 15:02   #47
BHPian

Re: Tata Safari Storme Varicor 400 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
Thanks ACM and Tushar for such wonderful review. The review gives me more confidence in going for one. I waited alot for this car and would have owned one by now if it was not banned in NCR. My decision to wait for 400nm looks worthwhile now. It definitely is a great SUV to drive and the commanding driving position ensure that you do not have problems when shifting from a hatchback. Hope I will have it in April now.
Safari Storme is a very capable vehicle and trust me you will not regret the waiting time.. I drive a 320 version and am very happy with it.. 400 will get a bigger smile on you face.
Wireless is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2016, 15:38   #48
BHPian

Very rightly said in the review, the safari's design is sill old and surely shows the age.
I do not say that it looks bad, its THE SAFARI, been pulling the heart strings since I had seen it loong time back.
Its still the same.

Tata should definitely workup on redesigning it, but also keep the cult feeling alive.

For my bit, I had a blank canvas. So, I gave it a try.
Tata Safari Storme Varicor 400 : Official Review-safari.jpg
It may not be perfect, but I am glad and open for suggestions/improvements.
iamahunter is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 1st January 2016, 15:46   #49
BHPian

Quote:
The DRLs were well installed on the exterior and looked good. In my view an essential accessory if dealer fitted. The internal wiring was average neither a factory fit nor too messy it could have been installed a bit better.

The Bug Deflector looked quite good to me and added to the imposing looks.
The website mentions Bug deflector + Hood Scoop as an available accessory package, under the 'Safari Accessories Kit 2015'; no mention of DRLs anywhere! Doesn't help if one wants only the deflector; they'll be stuck with the scoop, being part of the package!

C'mon Tata, please sort out the accessories on the webpage and add the DRLs option too
avinash_m is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st January 2016, 15:57   #50
Senior - BHPian

Tata designs should now really work hard at stiffening the chassis of the Safari and give a new body. This will affect handling, cornering, grip etc dramatically. Storme has stiffened quite a bit over the previous generation safari, but it seems they are still not there yet. Chop off high roof a bit, and increase width in new model. But then again one negative of too much stiffening would be compromise on ride-quality. So it is one or the other kind of choice here. But a new stiffer chassis model will quieten the hordes who clamour for more 'XUVish handling' or 'Duster-like handling'. Varicor 400 has the perfect engine and gearbox combo, no need for any change in that.

Tata could even sell the 2 models together, one's opting for ride quality can go for Storme and the other's who want to carve corners and such could opt for new model.

Last edited by lurker : 1st January 2016 at 15:58.
lurker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2016, 19:27   #51
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
Isn't more weight on the axle supposed to help with traction?
In some situations, yes, but in most, the lighter your vehicle, the nimbler it is offroad. The two best vehicles in this regard are the Gypsy & my Jeep (Classic 4x4). They just fly through anything offroad.

Quote:
Coincidentally I did a test drive of the current Fortuner MT 4X4 just a few days prior to spending time with the Storme Varicor 400 4X4

This can be a topic for an entire thread but the key observations are:
Great post! Just to add one Fortuner advantage - it's very competent off the road for a big 7-seater SUV. More so than the Storme. I've seen Fortuners roll through offroad situations where the Safari has either struggled or needed a tow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
Also, IIRC a friend was getting a cool 50k+ discount for the Storme 320 this November.

This makes the actual difference to atleast 1 lakh!
(50k showroom discount
+20k additional for new version
+30k towards Jan 1st, 2016 hike.)
Initially, yes, I'll agree that the price difference is more. But wait a little time and you'll see the same discounts on the Varicor 400 as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avinash_m View Post
The website mentions Bug deflector + Hood Scoop as an available accessory package, under the 'Safari Accessories Kit 2015'; no mention of DRLs anywhere!
Check at the dealer level. Am sure the DRLs will be available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
Tata designs should now really work hard at stiffening the chassis of the Safari and give a new body.
Agreed on the body, but not the chassis. The Storme's / Aria's chassis is awesome! No need for any more stiffening. Much much better than the bumpy Scorpio which neither rides nor handles well.

Quote:
But a new stiffer chassis model will quieten the hordes who clamour for more 'XUVish handling' or 'Duster-like handling'.
They're monocoques, thus offer superior handling. It'll be very difficult for a TALL body-on-frame SUV to match a monocoque in dynamics, all things being the same.

Last edited by GTO : 1st January 2016 at 19:28.
GTO is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 1st January 2016, 20:33   #52
BHPian

Would love to see this engine in a smaller, lighter 5seater urban SUV the size of a zest. With a good auto transmission, it can be the completion duster-creta crowd needs.
Old 1st January 2016, 21:18   #53
BHPian

I think the DRLs are similar (smaller) to that of the HEXA (understandably so)

Tata Safari Storme Varicor 400 : Official Review-hexa-drls.jpg

Last edited by mayank0782 : 1st January 2016 at 21:20. Reason: no. of LEDs are lesser in Storme hence editing the post to post correct information in the forum.
Old 1st January 2016, 21:22   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamahunter View Post
Very rightly said in the review, the safari's design is sill old and surely shows the age.
I do not say that it looks bad, its THE SAFARI, been pulling the heart strings since I had seen it loong time back.
Its still the same.

Tata should definitely workup on redesigning it, but also keep the cult feeling alive.

For my bit, I had a blank canvas. So, I gave it a try.
Attachment 1455388
It may not be perfect, but I am glad and open for suggestions/improvements.
Wow man, that looks menacing! The extra bulk just improves it's macho-like appeal. Nice job there.
Raj_RD is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st January 2016, 21:55   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avinash_m View Post
The website mentions Bug deflector + Hood Scoop as an available accessory package, under the 'Safari Accessories Kit 2015'; no mention of DRLs anywhere! Doesn't help if one wants only the deflector; they'll be stuck with the scoop, being part of the package!
:
Quote:

Check at the dealer level. Am sure the DRLs will be available.
DRLs are available with dealers. I opted for them for my would be Storme. As far as I remember it was for 6 k.
sourabhzen is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2016, 09:04   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKMahajan View Post
Dear ACM and Tushar,

Your review is really good. Now I do not look at anything that is not automatic! Still, your review makes the Storme Varicor 400 sound tempting.

Do you have any idea if they are at least planning AT in this?

Girish Mahajan
Girish, I agree with you, my next SUV will have to be an automatic, however on the Storme, it is almost an automatic, especially at highway speeds where you stick to the 5th (in 400's case 6th), from as low as 50kmph onward. The need for an automatic is felt in bumper to bumper crawls, however I prefer not to take a 5 meter long SUV in peak traffic, it is too painful.
Regarding the automatic for the Storme, I believe Tata will launch it with the Hexa.
apachelongbow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2016, 10:15   #57
BHPian

In the last 13 months [before Dec 2015], I used to take my E2O and Safari in alternate weeks for my Office drive. Its hardly 11 KMs that takes 1 hour on normal traffic and 2 hours on extreme congestion. Yes, you read it right - 1 hour for 11 KM drive is a normalcy !
I always reach 10 or 15 mins early whenever I take Safari in the same/similar traffic condition. I am sure, STORME would be a better breeze in traffic situation considering its smaller turning radius and better/easy clutch as compared to DICOR. With 400NM, it would be even better. In highway drives, I dont have any complaints with DICOR itself.
OK, my point is "Bigger beast in traffic is a pain" is more or less a MYTH unless you have a strong parking constraints. Even then, there are few spots I have seen in Bangalore [road or shoulder - whatever you want to call it"], where only Safari kind of vehicle can be parked

With this 400 NM, I started thinking if I should really get AUTO or just buy this !

Prem.

Last edited by kaviprem : 2nd January 2016 at 10:16.
kaviprem is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2016, 11:18   #58
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaviprem View Post
OK, my point is "Bigger beast in traffic is a pain" is more or less a MYTH unless you have a strong parking constraints.
100% agreed. My earlier workplace was at Churchgate and if I drove in rush hour traffic, I'd actually cover the 13 kms quicker in my slow Jeep than the souped up City Vtec.

- Better visibility, tall seating position
- No one cuts you
- No one moves in to fill the gap in front of you
- Some move out of the way for you

But yes, the 'bigger beast in traffic is a pain' surely applies to large sedans (D2 segment and over).
GTO is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2016, 11:54   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Agreed on the body, but not the chassis. The Storme's / Aria's chassis is awesome! No need for any more stiffening. Much much better than the bumpy Scorpio which neither rides nor handles well.
Do understand one thing. Body-on-ladder frame is going to roll, no matter how well it is built and no matter how stiff the chassis. Or else Tata can try to make a tubular chassis like Gurkha and then stiffen it up with additional members like the G-Wagen. Then that will also increase cost.

So thus I suggested to make two seperate models, one as monocoque for handling, better grip, direct competitor to duster, XUV etc. And let the Safari Storme remain as it is because it will have it's own benefits.
Old 2nd January 2016, 12:18   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

Got to drive the Safari Storme 400 NM (2 Wheel Drive) for a good distance a couple of days back. Below are the observations.

1. Engine is quite refined and revs quite freely

2. Clutch is soft similar to my Linea but with lesser travel

3. Brakes are quite strong and brings the 2+ tonne truck to stop without fuss

4. Brilliant ride quality. Throw anything at it and it simply demolishes them without breaking a sweat. Folks sitting in the middle wont complain.

5. Ample torque all the way, never feels under-powered.

6. Acceleration is quite linear and there is no push-back to the seats when the turbo kicks in. You can potter around the town in 3rd gear @ 20 kmph, tap the accelerator and it pulls cleanly. 6th gear is a boon on the highway with 120 kmph coming a little over 2200 rpm. Bury the accelerator and it pulls!

7. AC is super effective even with the huge glass area. Mind you this was with the Econ mode.

8. Steering is direct and weighs up sufficiently as the speeds rise.

9. For a top heavy SUV, there is body roll but it handles quite decently. But you need to respect the fact that its 2+ tonne SUV with 200 ground clearance and you cannot push around the corners like a sedan. Tried a couple of lane changes above 100 kmph, it did not unsettle the SUV.

10. Vibrations are present on the gear lever, pedals and the steering. TATA should have got rid of this as this can get annoying.

11. The ICE set up is such that if you have to fiddle around with the HU, you need to take your eyes off the road to adjust it. I know its matter of getting used to, but still it could be ergonomically better

12. Wind noise near the quarter glass when you sit on the middle row. Got to do with the door beading.

13. ICE quality is good for an OEM, it will not warrant a change in HU for majority of the folks out there. Speakers needs an upgrade to utilize the full potential of the HU.

14. OTR price for Bangalore is 18.21 lakhs (thanks to the taxes )

15. Gearshift is rubbery but slots in properly. Observed one thing though the first gear and the reverse gear are a bit hard to engage.

Will I buy it? If I was out there to buy a proper SUV (not pseudo SUVs) I would give the Storme 400 a serious consideration and may be get one home too. TATA ought to have stuffed a few more creature comforts for the asking price. However, Storme makes up in character for the lack of features. TATA should stop too many variants and retain just the 400 and give the 4X4 option on the lower variants.

Last edited by GTO : 2nd January 2016 at 14:39. Reason: Removing mention of illegally high speed. Thanks for sharing, buddy!
nkrishnap is offline   (15) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks