Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th February 2018, 09:19   #676
BHPian

Re: Tata Safari Storme Varicor 400 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazy View Post
Is it still a good idea to buy a Storme in 2018?
Please read this query in the context of the H5X / H7X launch in early 2019, risk of regulations on 2000+cc diesels, ageing of Safari platform, availability of spares, already dismal resale.
Hi lazy,
Just came and saw your post. It feels good that one more enthusiast is willing to buy a Storme. I bought mine in Dec, 17. I would suggest you few things. If you dont want to wait then just go for the Storme varicor 400. This engine and transmission are same as on Hexa so there would be no problem for spare parts in future. If you want a good road presence with high seating position and a proper big SUV, then just finalize on Storme rather than waiting for H5X.
Whenever a new car is launched, initial few months something or other is rectified by the manufacturer as per field performance, hence I will suggest to wait for atleast 6-8 months after the launch to buy the car. In case of H5X this means 2 years from now. So its upto you to decide whether to wait or go for it.

Last edited by ampere : 28th February 2018 at 07:47. Reason: quoted post trimmed
Old 18th February 2018, 20:33   #677
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prateek19 View Post
Hi lazy,
Just came and saw your post. It feels good that one more enthusiast is willing to buy a Storme. I bought mine in Dec, 17. I would suggest you few things. If you dont want to wait then just go for the Storme varicor 400. This engine and transmission are same as on Hexa so there would be no problem for spare parts in future. If you want a good road presence with high seating position and a proper big SUV, then just finalize on Storme rather than waiting for H5X.
Whenever a new car is launched, initial few months something or other is rectified by the manufacturer as per field performance, hence I will suggest to wait for atleast 6-8 months after the launch to buy the car. In case of H5X this means 2 years from now. So its upto you to decide whether to wait or go for it.

Prateek

Thanks for your inputs.
The important thing that is playing on my mind regarding H7X is the uncertainty about timeline. Sure it will launch by Q1CY2019, but it will be prudent to wait for 6 mo before buying a new platform car.

However, when I really think about it, the another and probably more important thing is whether it will be the handsome hunk that Storme is. H7X looks good, in a very suave kind of way, not the brutish way that Storme is.

Anyway, will share the decision with you all here in a few weeks.

cheers
lazy.
lazy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2018, 20:49   #678
BHPian

Quote:
The important thing that is playing on my mind regarding H7X is the uncertainty about timeline. Sure it will launch by Q1CY2019, but it will be prudent to wait for 6 mo before buying a new platform car.
My above reply was regarding H5X, if you are considering H7X i.e. more close to Storme in terms of size, then there is no official comment about its launch date. Maybe late 2019 or 2020 because TATA would be keeping in mind the BSVI regulation also for all its portfolio. This may hamper the launch of H7X. If they can follow all their timelines well then it is a win win situation for the company in coming years.
The decision is yours whether to go by what your mind says vs what your heart feels because many Safari purchases were from what heart said.

Last edited by ampere : 28th February 2018 at 07:47. Reason: quoted post trimmed
Old 18th February 2018, 22:37   #679
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is it still a good idea to buy a Storme in 2018?
My family has a Storme and I drive it a couple of times in a fortnight.

We haven't faced any major issue in the 80 thousand kilometres it has covered. Mechanical, electrical, nothing.

Regarding the dash and console, it's fine with me. I fix my second mobile handset, with Android Auto, on the dash and I have never felt the need to get anything else.

If you haven't driven one, drive one first and then make up your mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kams_cars View Post
The steering at parking speeds is causing the discomfort to arms as it requires more effort and spins.
Brother, either it's your arms or there is some issue with the steering. I suggest you get checked both.
ashutoshb is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2018, 17:32   #680
BHPian

Anybody got a call from your respective TASS, to bring the car over for a roof light replacement?!

Got a call today from mine to bring it over to replace the middle and rear one only. They said a particular batch (of cars) has been identified for this replacement. FYI, mine is a 2016 Mar make.

Btw, I'd already replaced the front one an year back when it started flickering and sometimes didn't come on at all; no concerns after replacement. Other 2 never had an issue.

I'd think they found out that I'd already replaced one, and now want to replace the other 2 as well. But all 3 should be replaceable if it's a defect fix recall. Please check with your TASS or if you have the issue.

Last edited by avinash_m : 23rd February 2018 at 17:33. Reason: Typo
avinash_m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2018, 18:42   #681
Distinguished - BHPian

Hello Storme owners,

I was about to replace my 1.4 lakh run 2012 Safari DICOR LX. Test drove hexa but it didn't feel as spacious and comfortable as the Safari.

So I just booked a Safari Storme VX 4x2.
OTR 16.92 L. Got a great resale for my Dicor- 3.4 lakhs! I have booked it in Pearl white.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Safari Storme Varicor 400 : Official Review-images-5.jpeg  

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 26th February 2018 at 19:09.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 26th February 2018, 19:45   #682
BHPian

Tata Safari Storme Varicor 400 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
I was about to replace my 1.4 lakh run 2012 Safari DICOR LX. Test drove hexa but it didn't feel as spacious and comfortable as the Safari.

Congratulations on the Storme Sir, it is an excellent car with loads of street cred. However, I'm surprised as to why and how you did not find the Hexa spacious and comfortable. As we all know, it has an excellent ride quality and supportive seats with more than adequate legroom for the passengers. The captain seats increase flexibility also. Just curious to know why you chose the ageing Storme over the fresh, good looking Hexa.

Regards
Prathik

Last edited by ampere : 28th February 2018 at 07:48. Reason: quoted post trimmed
Prathiiik is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2018, 20:56   #683
BHPian

Quote:
Hello Storme owners,

OTR 16.92 L. Got a great resale for my Dicor- 3.4 lakhs! I have booked it in Pearl white.

Congratulations!!!

The Strome is like no other. It is indeed a beautiful beast, with 400 Nm of grunt.
I'd choose it over Hexa too; for its looks, not for comfort.
I am surprised that your didn't find the Hexa comfortable - can you elaborate?

Are you getting a 2018 mfg or 2017 one?

cheers
lazy
lazy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2018, 21:07   #684
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Congratulations!!!

I'd choose it over Hexa too; for its looks, not for comfort.
I am surprised that your didn't find the Hexa comfortable - can you elaborate?

Are you getting a 2018 mfg or 2017 one?

cheers
lazy
Personally I love safari dicor's looks over the Storme. I liked hexa visually. No doubt hexa is comfortable, but the outright space available at the front two rows is not as generous as in Safari.

The bench height is a bit low than safari which we (a family of 6 footers) found uncomfortable. I drive a Ciaz so it wasn't an issue to me, but others in my family are used to sitting in a chair like position of safari. Hexa has a lower bench. And more so because they are used to safari for 6 great years and seem to love safari so much. I had to force them to even take a hexa test ride.

I am getting a 2017 December mfg car.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 26th February 2018 at 21:11.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th February 2018, 21:23   #685
BHPian

Quote:

Congratulations. Did you got this resale amount from Tata? I was offered 2.75L for my 140k run Dec 2010 EX model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prathiiik View Post
Just curious to know why you chose the ageing Storme over the fresh, good looking Hexa.
Hexa has Muvish looks which definitely is a downer for a Safari owner. Despite of all creature comfort in Hexa it stands nowhere in front of Safari legacy. Even I was not able to convince myself to go for Hexa as a replacement to my Dicor few months back. I must say Hexa will please to those person who are open for MUV's like Innova or monocoque crossovers else you have very limited options starting from Thar, Scorpio, Safari,Pajero, Endeavour & Fortuner.
roby_dk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th February 2018, 21:43   #686
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roby_dk View Post
Congratulations. Did you got this resale amount from Tata? I was offered 2.75L for my 140k run Dec 2010 EX model.
Thank you!

Yeah, it was a quote offered by the Tata dealer. It is my 3rd Tata car that I am exchanging with the same people. Mahindra quoted a pathetic 2.2 lakhs for my safari DICOr.

And very true about safari owners not liking the hexa. The GM of the dealership spoke to us for negotiations and told us that not even a single hexa customers were coming from a safari. Safari customers prefer another safari. I don't know how true it is, but in my case, it is true.

You buy hexa with the mind and safari with the heart
PrasannaDhana is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2018, 21:58   #687
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you!

Yeah, it was a quote offered by the Tata dealer. It is my 3rd Tata car that I am exchanging with the same people. Mahindra quoted a pathetic 2.2 lakhs for my safari DICOr.

You buy hexa with the mind and safari with the heart
Hello,

I am very pleased to read that.

I myself am 6'2. And I find that storme front row captain seats are lil. short on thigh support. After 50K mark, I started to feel discomfort with hip positioning due to caved in foam.
I recently got the seats open, put in some metal extensions and redid the foam which caved in. Now, I feel comfortable and no muscle strain in my daily drives. Please do check this point thoroughly. There is a bit of difference in dicor and storme seating.

May I know why didn't you opt for 4x4. This could be some sort of upgrade isn't it? And have you chosen the 400nm.
Old 26th February 2018, 22:15   #688
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
May I know why didn't you opt for 4x4. This could be some sort of upgrade isn't it? And have you chosen the 400nm.
I don't really have usage for a 4wd. Most of the times it is highways and rural roads that are pretty decent.

Yes I am getting the Varicor 400.

Last edited by ampere : 28th February 2018 at 07:48. Reason: quoted post trimmed
Old 26th February 2018, 22:58   #689
BHPian

Quote:
I just booked a Safari Storme VX 4x2.
Congratulations @Prasanna; welcome 'back' to the club!!

It is really heartening to see fellow Safari owners actually liking and going for the Storme (again) over the Hexa, in spite of the latter's proven credentials now. I got a similar response from my dealer upon a casual chit chat; although Hexa has brought in decent numbers and customers (mostly first timers) liked what they got, Safari customers are rarely in any dilemma over what they want and most likely go for it. Meaning, it is easier to sell a Storme to a (Safari) customer, than a Hexa to a regular one.

I'd followed your earlier Safari's ownership thread and must compliment you the way you kept your beast. . Look forward to another one of your wonderful ownership threads and wishing you many million happy miles with the new beast!
avinash_m is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th February 2018, 23:21   #690
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I recently got the seats open, put in some metal extensions and redid the foam which caved in. Now, I feel comfortable and no muscle strain in my daily drives.
Do you have pics of this ? It can help others if you do ..
condor is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks