Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th May 2018, 14:34   #736
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Safari Storme Varicor 400 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Btw, what were the symptoms that led to replacing the EGR valve ?
Symptoms similar to fuel starvation.

Low pickup.. & Malfunction light ..
Old 9th May 2018, 13:29   #737
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
TorqueMonster completed 1,40,000 kms in 2 years.

Really happy with TATA service also.

Parts Replaced under warranty till now
  • one front suspension
  • water pump (engine)
  • front passenger door lock assembly
  • AC condenser cooling fan (few days ago)
[indent]
Wow! 140k in two years might give complex to many cab drivers as well.How many sets of shoes you changed till now? Why did you choose MRF?
Old 9th May 2018, 13:54   #738
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
How many sets of shoes you changed till now? Why did you choose MRF?
3 sets.
  1. Factory Bridgestone
  2. MRF Wanderer set of 5 (from my Xenon XT which got 32x11.50x15)
  3. MRF Wanderer set of 3 + 1 unused Wanderer. (current spare tyre is factory Bridgestone still unused)
Old 9th May 2018, 17:24   #739
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
TorqueMonster completed 1,40,000 kms in 2 years.
Wow! Thats fantastic. I recently bought home a hexa. Did you take any particular care about the engine or any particular routine you followed? Would be nice to hear some advice from you so that we folks could do the same. Thank you.
Old 26th July 2018, 21:31   #740
BHPian

Just came back from a long trip (approx. 3K kms) and wanted to share some observations with all of you; please let me know if anyone else saw these issues. Thoughts/suggestions would help as well:

1. Observed a noticeable vibration from the front end (something grinding maybe) whenever I applied the brakes at low speeds (below 40), typically after a high speed run?! Actually, this has been a regular occurrence in every long trip since about an year, I just forgot to bring that up as it just goes away on its own, once it settles back into the daily city drive mode.

2. For the first time, I had drops of water trickle down to my feet, from somewhere up the brake pedal, randomly while driving. I don't think this was rain water as I'd to negotiate pretty heavy rains on my way and it didn't happen at the time. It is most probably AC condensed water but am not sure from where did it flow down, inside the cabin?!

Besides that, it was one smooth, fast drive otherwise! The odo currently stands at 33K in about 2Yrs and 3 months of owning the beast.
Old 27th July 2018, 09:58   #741
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by avinash_m View Post

1. Observed a noticeable vibration from the front end (something grinding maybe) whenever I applied the brakes at low speeds (below 40), typically after a high speed run?!

2. For the first time, I had drops of water trickle down to my feet, from somewhere up the brake pedal, randomly while driving.
1. It looks like your brake pistons need cleaning, the pads aren't moving as far back as they should and hence the friction against the disc results in this grinding noise.

2. This is a known issue with Safari which have the roof mounted blower. The drain pipe is either clogged or has come off its coupling at the blower and water is hence leaking near the footwell.
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2018, 13:14   #742
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
1. It looks like your brake pistons need cleaning, the pads aren't moving as far back as they should and hence the friction against the disc results in this grinding noise.

2. This is a known issue with Safari which have the roof mounted blower. The drain pipe is either clogged or has come off its coupling at the blower and water is hence leaking near the footwell.
Thanks for the response @devnath sir; quick queries though:

1. If the Pistons aren't getting released fully, then it should vibrate during normal fwd movement, not while braking rite?! I see this issue during light braking (low speeds)?

2. The rear (roof) AC actually wasnt even on, only the front was running at the time as it was quite cool outside due to rains. I suspect the refridgerant pipe that runs against the firewall, just behind the engine cover; attaching a pic from the first page (of this thread). I did see condensed water running across it's surface but couldn't make out how can it enter the cabin, through the firewall!? Or, I could be entirely wrong and the issue could be somewhere else.

My problem is I cannot reproduce either of them, for TASS to check.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Safari Storme Varicor 400 : Official Review-images.jpeg  

Old 28th July 2018, 09:15   #743
BHPian

Quote:

2. For the first time, I had drops of water trickle down to my feet, from somewhere up the brake pedal, randomly while driving. I don't think this was rain water as I'd to negotiate pretty heavy rains on my way and it didn't happen at the time. It is most probably AC condensed water but am not sure from where did it flow down, inside the cabin?!

When the weather outside is very humid and during rainfalls, it happens that water seeps in the cabin. It may also seep if there is some blockage for drain water. Get a proper underwash after the rains and also check whether it is coming during dry days. If not, nothing to worry.
Prateek19 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2018, 12:17   #744
BANNED

Quote:
1. If the Pistons aren't getting released fully, then it should vibrate during normal fwd movement, not while braking rite?! I see this issue during light braking (low speeds)?
They get stuck during light braking because the pressure applied is less and also slowly go back in a few seconds/minutes, which is why you dont hear/feel it all the time.
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2018, 21:26   #745
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prateek19 View Post
When the weather outside is very humid and during rainfalls, it happens that water seeps in the cabin. It may also seep if there is some blockage for drain water. Get a proper underwash after the rains and also check whether it is coming during dry days. If not, nothing to worry.
True on the weather part Prateek, but not too sure about the water seepage into cabin, for any reason, ideally. Unless of course, the condensation actually happened in the cabin only, somewhere near the vents, and trickled down to the footwell, I didn't diagnose this part. The car's washed now, will keep a watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
They get stuck during light braking because the pressure applied is less and also slowly go back in a few seconds/minutes, which is why you dont hear/feel it all the time.
Ok. I did get the brakes checked (along with fluids etc.) before the trip @TASS. Apparently, this was part of a 40 Point general service, which includes all essentials to be checked and topped up (if needed). Btw, since the daily office commute started, the car's back to normal, with no sign of this issue now. Will try to reproduce maybe with some ORR/airport runs, just to get TASS's attention. Thanks again!!
Old 13th October 2018, 22:52   #746
BHPian

Tata has updated storme by digging into their parts bin and equipping it with 17 inch wheels. There are no other changes. Well done Tata!
A meaningful update like a head unit with Android Auto, Apple car play would have been appreciated, considering now hatchbacks like Datsun Go also have it.

Tata Safari Storme Varicor 400 : Official Review-safari17inchalloys.jpg
PraNeel is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th October 2018, 14:05   #747
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Yes it needed 17" alloys and yes they look good.

But a LOT more should have been done.

So is this the Last ever Storme update?

Who knows it is ladder frame and Harrier 5 / 7 seats version are not.
ACM is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th October 2018, 08:27   #748
BHPian

Looks pretty decent with the 17" alloys.
Offer AT in Storme. There would be some attraction towards it.
Old 15th October 2018, 13:14   #749
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaviprem View Post
Offer AT in Storme. There would be some attraction towards it.

Absolutley. With AT and 4WD, I would love to have one in my garage as replacement for my Duster 4WD. They can source the same ASIN 6-Speed gearbox that is offered in the Scorpio 4WD Automatic.
Old 16th October 2018, 13:03   #750
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PraNeel View Post
Tata has updated storme by digging into their parts bin and equipping it with 17 inch wheels. There are no other changes. Well done Tata!
A meaningful update like a head unit with Android Auto, Apple car play would have been appreciated, considering now hatchbacks like Datsun Go also have it.

Attachment 1807702
Well, for me 17" Alloys with AT tires and bit more of ground clearance is far more important than Android Auto and all that jazz. Pity, TATA only changed the alloys without any change in overall ground clearance.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks