Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 23rd December 2018, 16:26   #766
BHPian

Re: Tata Safari Storme Varicor 400 : Official Review

Let's face the facts, the Storme (no matter how lovely it is), is too old a platform to keep continuing. The bodyshell is too tall, the track a bit too narrow and the chassis a bit too high, leading to an extremely high floorpan and subsequent unusable third row space. Interior wise too the dashboard is too low and the seats placed a bit high. There is ample space for the first and second row, but the rear rising floorpan makes it impossible to offer either a sliding or a reclining second row. There is no space for a third row due to the high floorpan and low roof (even though it is stepped), and the jumpseats are a joke, with zero safety equipment. The entire structure induces tremendous bodyroll (although well damped), and there is a lot of body and chassis flex as well.
This entire old school technology has made it impossible to eliminate squeaks and rattles and even the plastics ( I believe of better quality than the Hexa), don't fit well, leading to the car feeling cheaply built. The dashboard actually is built to hide certain components, that's why there can't be a touchscreen HU ( no depth to fit it in), can't install an a/c fliter, can't integrate an automatic climate control etc. I am not sure if the Hexa's autobox can be fit into the Storme (lack of underbody space).
In a nutshell it's best for Tata to replace the Storme/Safari with a brand new platform.
AirbusCapt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2018, 16:57   #767
Senior - BHPian

The primary advantage of the 16 inchers remains an excellent ride quality and cheaper tires. 17 inchers are pretty expensive. You can opt for 245/70R16 if you need to fill up the arches. An AT would fill it up beautifully.

I was at the dealership for some work on my storme. Had a look at the 17 incher to think of a swap. Nope. Just not worth it. Then I saw a dilapidated Aria in the workshop with the same set of alloys. Spoilt my mood further.

Only thing I'd recommend- a good 245/70R16 AT tire with some good patterned sidewall. Looks just too good! I have the Geolandars G015 for the effect.
navpreet318 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 28th December 2018, 15:09   #768
Senior - BHPian

I was talking about Tata to work on the new gen safari - looks like someone did eavesdropping

Cartoq reports they took a dig at render attempt and god almighty I hope Tata sees this render! If the rendered images is what the finalized product will look like, it will eat away completion without a doubt. Link
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Safari Storme Varicor 400 : Official Review-22a59705630b425dbb8308b5ef4b1200.jpeg  

Last edited by gururajrv : 28th December 2018 at 15:12.
gururajrv is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th January 2019, 22:56   #769
BHPian

AC Temperature control goes bust, AGAIN!!

And it happened again! But this time it was really embarrassing and frustrating because I was on my way to Bhilai (CG), and was already about 70 odd kms from home.

Due to the unusually cold winter (in Hyd) this time, I'd set the knob to 25% cooling (10 o'clock) sometime back and it seemed to work for the most part. Btw, this arrangement too, only worked when I set it up once overnight, after parking for the day, not on-the-move! Noticed that on-the-move changes (less cooling) had stopped working again; but it still worked when put back to max-cooling, from any other setting.

On the prev. weekend (20th) I'd the car washed and noticed they'd mistakenly put the knob back to max-cool. I came back home without using the AC and just put the knob back to 25% setting, while parking for the day.

3 days later, we start our journey leisurely at around 9:45 AM and upon hitting the ORR, and a bit of sweat from the sun beating down, I switch on the AC only to get more warm air thrown at my face! I tried putting the knob back to max-cool, only to realize (to my horror) that it's not working either! Asked my wife to look for a nearby service center, while I fiddled with the knob; no-way an 800 km day journey is doable without the AC working!! Funnily enough the rear AC was working absolutely fine, all this time!

Got the location of one Pranavi Motors (Kompally), near my location and made the detour. Upon reaching, SA Mr. JP Reddy immediately came over and I explained the situation. He requested us to vacate the vehicle, took it into a service bay and started the diagnosis, along with couple of mechs.
After about 30 mins of checking and eliminating likely issues, he called me over and informed the worse - the temp control knob was bust!! Why/How - compressor is kicking in, rear AC is working, refrigerant pipe was cold, (had condensation) radiator fan working etc. I informed him about the previous replacement of the same, obviously getting a blank response. Obviously, the part (was not available) and the job was not possible at the time. I just told them to somehow hardwire it - disconnect the knob/control totally and set it to default mode (max-cool), just so that we could continue with the journey. Meanwhile, I started evaluating other options. With a marriage function the very next day, we'd to reach the same day somehow! For a moment, I even considered continuing without the (front) AC, shifting my wife, with mom and son, to the rear seat. But finally - they got the AC hardwired!!

Came back to Hyd yesterday and my 'hardwired' AC worked like a charm. Occasional (cabin) cold notwithstanding, the journey was as smooth as it could be! I obviously was cribbing as to how needlessly complex a system (electro-mechanical switch) is in place for something as simple as a temperature control, which is bound to be failure prone; to which my wife probably had a very philosophical explanation. This was our 5th trip to Bhilai (apart from others) but never did we have anything to complain about. In fact, it was because of this very car that the trips barely even made us feel tired, at the end of each; she was quite clear why she still loves it!! Apparently, she also refreshed my memory, that when finalizing the Storme, and the prevailing perception around Tata quality/service, that I was the one who mentioned - 95 times (out of 100) it would be a joy to own one! In hindsight, it could have been an entirely different discussion as well, had the hardwiring not worked!

Question I have in mind now is, should I even bother about fixing this now?! Requesting inputs from experts?! AMC expires in Jun and I've warranty till next year.

Last edited by avinash_m : 30th January 2019 at 23:01. Reason: typo
avinash_m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2019, 00:41   #770
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Yep fix it under warranty. Not bothering is something you consider doing once out of warranty. Will help resale value at least.

PS:
It is speculated in latest Autocar that pedestrian safety and BSVI norms will kill the Storme.
ACM is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th March 2019, 16:18   #771
Senior - BHPian

A weird sound is emerging from the storme since yesterday. Returned from Delhi to Dehradun yesterday and some sections were really bad. But while parking at night at idle, I observed it.

Its a loopy vibration constantly along with the idle. Kind of Hmmmm....Hmmmmm....Hmmmm....

And Surprising part is that it stays on for a 1.5 to 2 seconds after the engine is turned off as well. Observed it again today in the morning and afternoon. Will be taking it to the Dealership tomorrow morning. I hope all is well with the vehicle.
Old 6th March 2019, 11:24   #772
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
A weird sound is emerging from the storme since yesterday. Returned from Delhi to Dehradun yesterday and some sections were really bad. But while parking at night at idle, I observed it.

Its a loopy vibration constantly along with the idle. Kind of Hmmmm....Hmmmmm....Hmmmm....

And Surprising part is that it stays on for a 1.5 to 2 seconds after the engine is turned off as well. Observed it again today in the morning and afternoon. Will be taking it to the Dealership tomorrow morning. I hope all is well with the vehicle.
This could have been some mounting bush issue. I had similar problem and it was resolved after bush were changed. However, I never had any sound or vibrations after switching of the engine. This is quite surprising.
Old 6th March 2019, 11:27   #773
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
This could have been some mounting bush issue. I had similar problem and it was resolved after bush were changed. However, I never had any sound or vibrations after switching of the engine. This is quite surprising.

I am taking it today to the workshop. Lets see. I have a feeling it could also be the radiator fan.
Also I found another weird sound. When turning the steering, there is a whoosh sound emanating form the engine. Need to get it checked again.
Old 6th March 2019, 12:50   #774
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
I am taking it today to the workshop. Lets see. I have a feeling it could also be the radiator fan.
Also I found another weird sound. When turning the steering, there is a whoosh sound emanating form the engine. Need to get it checked again.
Surprisingly I noticed this whoosh sound a couple of days back, but only in full lock conditions. Please update once you have something concrete from the workshop.
Old 6th March 2019, 13:39   #775
BHPian

Hello!

Has anyone noticed or found any resemblence between Buzzard 7 seater rear quarter and Safari's rear quarter?
I can't describe it but I strongly believe that this similarity is an intentional one.
This could be Next Gen Safari in India.
What say?
Old 6th March 2019, 13:46   #776
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
Surprisingly I noticed this whoosh sound a couple of days back, but only in full lock conditions.
That's your power steering pump working overtime. Don't hold full lock on any hydraulic power steering vehicle, it exerts it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveOnceMore View Post
Has anyone noticed or found any resemblence between Buzzard 7 seater rear quarter and Safari's rear quarter?

This could be Next Gen Safari in India.
That is my guess too, but the Buzzard doesn't look as imposing as the Safari does and hence am inclined to think that the all new Safari will be a bigger vehicle above it.
n.devdath is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th March 2019, 14:35   #777
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
That's your power steering pump working overtime. Don't hold full lock on any hydraulic power steering vehicle, it exerts it.
I guessed so. Will be careful in future. Noticed this sounds when I changed my tyres last week.
Old 6th March 2019, 21:42   #778
Senior - BHPian

The hiss sound I mentioned was not at full lock. It was just half a turn from centre.

So I have given the storme at the centre. They are diagnosing the issue. Coolant circulation wasn't happening even though it was changed a few hundred kms back at the major service of 60k kms. So the engine was running hot and the fan was on at all times.

They are checking the pump and the thermostat. Thank God I didnt use it for a long journey and it's not summer right now.

Hope to get it back all fit tomorrow morning.
navpreet318 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 11th March 2019, 10:37   #779
Senior - BHPian

Safari Moniker (Storme Or Dicor) to go out?

GaadiWaadi.com: Iconic Tata Safari To Be Discontinued In India Soon.
https://gaadiwaadi.com/iconic-tata-s...in-india-soon/
Old 11th March 2019, 20:32   #780
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post
Safari Moniker (Storme Or Dicor) to go out?

GaadiWaadi.com: Iconic Tata Safari To Be Discontinued In India Soon.
https://gaadiwaadi.com/iconic-tata-s...in-india-soon/
The DICOR is no longer in production so this has to be the Storme. I believe the timing is no coincidence nor are the looks. The Buzzard for all purposes is the next gen Safari. All it needs is a 4WD like the Safari and its all set to go make its own road.

Most Viewed