Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st December 2019, 22:01   #811
BHPian

Re: Tata Safari Storme Varicor 400 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by avinash_m View Post
Guess I hit a road block with this DIY.
Try with 9v battery, I don't think it would work with 3v battery.
First, crimp four connectors and make the wiring harness with different colour wires then you can check using a 9v or 12 battery.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 31st December 2019 at 22:30. Reason: Fixed broken quotes tag.
varun560061 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th January 2020, 17:08   #812
BHPian

So finally I was able to complete the dash-clock install! What better way to spend the sunday than a DIY job!
It was a long time coming, just wasn't able to manage time earlier due to work or personal commitments.

Huge shout out to @varun560061 for listing out all those finer details, it was really helpful.

While Varun has pretty much mentioned all requisite details in earlier posts, for folks planning to attempt this, following pointers may come in handy; this is just based on my experience

1. Please be patient with pulling/prying out the stereo center console. Thats because you dont want to risk breaking the clips or scratching the dashboard. Dashboard pry tools are a must have to attempt this job as a DIY.
2. Once the center console comes out, and after disconnecting all the ports, separate the stereo/AC control panel from the outer trim, held together with cross-head screws at the back of the panel, and store it away safely, to avoid unwanted scratches/damages. Do not undo, all the screws that you see at the back as a set (pair I believe) attaches the AC controls to the piece which houses the stereo display. These two together make up one center unit which then attaches to the outer trim (having the AC vents) via 6 cross head screws. All this feeds into the next step which is the most trickiest, in this whole DIY.
3. The AC vents (both vents being one single unit), have to be separated from this outer trim piece, to access the plastic dummy, where the clock will actually sit. This was the trickiest and most time taking for me - BE VERY CAREFUL while separating the vents as the whole thing is held together with self locking clips which are very delicate! Thankfully, they're flexible enough, which allows the locking tabs to be opened using nose pliers, pry tools or flat head screw driver. Once the vents come off, its easy to pull the dummy out and mount the clock in its place, as the clock has the same self-lock tabs as the dummy piece.
4. While it is best to use different color wires for making the wiring harness, in case if you dont get your hands on them, then make sure to label both ends of the wires (clock ports side and the fuse tap side) appropriately, saves a lot of effort during final connections. A meter length for each of the 4 clock ports would suffice, for the wiring.
5. You may have to losen the bottom panel (below the steering wheel), for routing of the wires. Keep zip ties handy, for both securing the wires and also for possibly tying a layer of foam/bubble wrap around the wires, so that they don't rattle against the steering column panel.
6. For the ports to be tapped for supply, I went with all 10A ones only. While there are enough 5A ones on the fuse box, I wasnt sure which all were the 'always on' types. And I wasn't really keen on using the Int Lamp (5A) one, with the rest using 10A.
Also, bear in mind that the fuse taps occupy bigger space on the box (than the fuses), so one can't use the fuse ports, for tapping, immediately adjacent to the already tapped ports.

So I used the following port and taps:
* Clock Positive -> 10A Fuel Flap
* Clock Back Light -> 10A Park LH
* Clock switched positive -> 10A Fog H/L

Didn't click too many pics, adding few which may be helpful.
I love the white back-light on the clock, when the cabin's dark - wonder why Tata removed such an elegant touch from the Storme (refreshed versions). Btw, the clock has a bit of quirk as well - makes a faintly audible sound (khrakk) everytime the minute hand moves!

Thanks for reading!!
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Safari Storme Varicor 400 : Official Review-img_20200126_121947.jpg  

Tata Safari Storme Varicor 400 : Official Review-img_20200126_121959.jpg  

Tata Safari Storme Varicor 400 : Official Review-img_20200126_122028__02.jpg  

Tata Safari Storme Varicor 400 : Official Review-img_20200126_122028__01.jpg  

Tata Safari Storme Varicor 400 : Official Review-img_20200126_122311.jpg  

Tata Safari Storme Varicor 400 : Official Review-img_20200126_122326__01.jpg  

Tata Safari Storme Varicor 400 : Official Review-img_20200126_122339.jpg  

Tata Safari Storme Varicor 400 : Official Review-img_20200126_124426.jpg  

Tata Safari Storme Varicor 400 : Official Review-img_20200126_130407.jpg  

Tata Safari Storme Varicor 400 : Official Review-img_20200126_135913.jpg  

Tata Safari Storme Varicor 400 : Official Review-img_20200126_135153.jpg  

avinash_m is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 11th March 2020, 12:26   #813
BHPian

Need for Storme - Dash Clock +

Hello friends

The wise chaps at Tata removed the really nice dash analog clock sometime before I got my V400.

The headunit has a little digital time display, but it is rather away from driving line of sight and hence not safe to check time.

Am looking to fix a clock on the dash, preferably analog and backlit.
And while at it, if there can be a nice set that comes with Thermometer & Compass, it will be super.

I have scoured amazon, but nothing looks good there. Any suggestions or help please?

cheers
lazy
Old 11th March 2020, 12:31   #814
BHPian

Re: Need for Storme - Dash Clock +

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post4570693 (Tata Safari Storme Varicor 400 : Official Review) onwards for the OEM clock fitment. An excellent DIY thread.

If you want to purchase from Aliexpress there's a whole lot of options.

#Aliexpress Rs. 168.63 48%OFF | Mini Car Automobile Digital Clock Auto Watch Automotive Thermometer Hygrometer Decoration Ornament Clock In Car Accessories
https://a.aliexpress.com/_dYPl3L9 is one example

Mods please merge the thread with the Storme one

Last edited by digitalnirvana : 11th March 2020 at 12:37.
digitalnirvana is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2020, 12:36   #815
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalnirvana View Post
Thank you sir for the link, I have read that thread and chased KHT motors to get me that clock to buy.
They haven't been able to procure it for me and also tell me that the wiring harness is no longer available.
That's why looking for aftermarket options.

Thanks again, am sure you meant well.

cheers
lazy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2020, 12:59   #816
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazy View Post
Thank you sir for the link, I have read that thread and chased KHT motors to get me that clock to buy.
They haven't been able to procure it for me and also tell me that the wiring harness is no longer available.
That's why looking for aftermarket options.

Thanks again, am sure you meant well.

cheers
The clock is still available in bodomo. I don't think you will get this from TASS. The below link is your best bet.

https://boodmo.com/catalog/part-anal...titan-6617486/

For connecting, you will need to go the DIY route since TASS technicians are ultra high profile engineers who will not show any interest in things like this.
padmrajravi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th March 2020, 16:33   #817
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by padmrajravi View Post
The clock is still available in bodomo. I don't think you will get this from TASS. The below link is your best bet.

https://boodmo.com/catalog/part-anal...titan-6617486/

For connecting, you will need to go the DIY route since TASS technicians are ultra high profile engineers who will not show any interest in things like this.
Buying is the simpler part na, installation is a challenge esp. given I'll have to make the wiring too :(
Let me look around for a simple dash clock that I can simply paste on there.

Thanks for the link - I was looking with search words like "safari clock", "storme clock", "tata clock" etc, and wasn't getting any hits.

cheers
lazy
Old 12th March 2020, 16:43   #818
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazy View Post
Buying is the simpler part na, installation is a challenge esp. given I'll have to make the wiring too :(
Let me look around for a simple dash clock that I can simply paste on there.

Thanks for the link - I was looking with search words like "safari clock", "storme clock", "tata clock" etc, and wasn't getting any hits.

cheers
lazy
If you are really keen on a clock, you can opt for this one. Looks quite nice and gels in with the dashboard too. Here's the link:

https://www.amazon.in/CarFrill-Dashboard-Analog-Quartz-Adhesive/dp/B07XD566Y9/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=small+clock+for+car&qid=158401 1467&sr=8-6

Tata Safari Storme Varicor 400 : Official Review-611eofaovdl._sl1000_.jpg
vishy76 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 15th March 2020, 12:02   #819
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishy76 View Post
If you are really keen on a clock, you can opt for this one. Looks quite nice and gels in with the dashboard too.
Have you fitted this to your Storme? Please post a pic with the clock fitted.
Old 5th July 2020, 16:38   #820
BHPian

4th Year Annual Service Update:

The 4th year annual service was due and thanks to the Covid-19 situation, last few months (since Feb) the car had barely had any running. I'd initially hoped of crossing the 50K mark at least, before I sent it for service but it just wasn't possible to log the kms.

So at about 491XX kms, and given the possibility of road travel anytime, I just thought of having the car ready, if any such window of opportunity opens up. Since the car was going in for major service, I decided to get the accident repair done as well, that I'd picked up late last year.

For the uninitiated, here's the pic of the damage sustained, for reference:

Tata Safari Storme Varicor 400 : Official Review-img_20191108_201239.jpg

After my bad experience with the previous TASS, decided to try out a different one this time. I gave the car on Sat and got it back on Tue, with the accident repair job also included. Overall, I guess they did a decent job repairing the damage. While it is not visible at first glance, my OCD obviously kicked in, and I could see minor imperfections on the bonnet curvature, just above the chrome (Storme) trim (pic). While the grill and headlight had also sustained some damage, I decided to stick with them as they are in perfect working condition.

Tata Safari Storme Varicor 400 : Official Review-img_20200705_114623.jpg

Hoping that a paint sealant/protection session at 3M may help bring back some of the original factory shine. I've anyway gone ahead and ordered the bonnet wing (bug deflector) accessory as well.

During service, couple of things came up as a surprise. When we went for first test drive, the SA observed more vibrations/noise than normal, from the front end, specially during startup and shutdown. He mentioned the likely suspect to be the engine mounts. While I wasn't entirely convinced, I told him to check and keep me posted. They came back seeking my permission for replacement and I approved it. Frankly, I am quite surprised the difference it has made; especially during startups and shutdowns! What I've realized is, I'd almost taken those bad vibrations as another one of those Safari quirks, while the reality was different.
Surprisingly, the old mounts still don't look like they are faulty; attaching a pic below for you all to see and comment!

Tata Safari Storme Varicor 400 : Official Review-img_20200704_211152.jpg

The second issue, which came as a bigger surprise was the need to replace the front brake discs, not the pads! Reason - the disc lip is now more pronounced than the normal (highlighted bit in the pic below), which means the it is past its ideal width. While this seemed like the TASS was trying to take me for a ride, and I refused the replacement, looking up some videos on youtube seems to suggest that TASS may have been right! But what I fail to understand is how come a part like a brake disc would need a replacement, in 4 years and less than 50K kms?! I had not noticed any braking issues, the disc surface shows even wear across and the pads still have at least another 5-7K worth of life still left in them?!
Request fellow owners to comment ?!

Note to Mods: I know I've posted the same query on the Storme review thread as well, but thought I'd mention it as part of the overall service related post and also as it is the more apt thread.

Tata Safari Storme Varicor 400 : Official Review-img_20200627_151044__01.jpg

Aside from all this, I'd also ordered Amsoil Turbo Truck synthetic engine oil from Amazon earlier but was flatly refused, for changing over to this oil by TASS. They just don't entertain privately sourced oil, no matter what. As such, I'd to head to an independent garage, post the service, to get the oil changed. Thankfully, they agreed to invoice a new oil filter, which I'd have anyways had to source later.

I'd always found the Hexa's gear knob to be classier than the Storme's. Since I'd already had it delivered from boodmo, used this opportunity to get that installed as well. Now it looks the part IMO...

Tata Safari Storme Varicor 400 : Official Review-img_20200704_211421.jpg

The car definitely feels lot smoother to operate now, just hoping that an opportunity comes by and I get to take her out again on a road trip, Covid not withstanding

CHEERS!
avinash_m is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 8th December 2020, 18:42   #821
BHPian

Storme owners can you please help me on how to set time in the Harman music system. Is there any user guide that can be downloaded for the functionalities of this music system. I could get the ConnectNext user guide for Hexa and Harrier music system, but not for Storme music system.

thank you,
Arvind
Old 9th December 2020, 19:40   #822
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvindmanju View Post
Storme owners can you please help me on how to set time in the Harman music system. Is there any user guide that can be downloaded for the functionalities of this music system. I could get the ConnectNext user guide for Hexa and Harrier music system, but not for Storme music system.

thank you,
Arvind

Just press the settings button next to bluetooth button. Then press the button used to change tracks. Press the one used for last track. It will show clock settings. Then you will need to press select button. After that you can change time.

If you face any issue please reply, I will uplod the pictures.
Prateek19 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th January 2021, 10:10   #823
BHPian

Quote:

During service, couple of things came up as a surprise. When we went for first test drive, the SA observed more vibrations/noise than normal, from the front end, specially during startup and shutdown. He mentioned the likely suspect to be the engine mounts. While I wasn't entirely convinced, I told him to check and keep me posted. They came back seeking my permission for replacement and I approved it. Frankly, I am quite surprised the difference it has made; especially during startups and shutdowns! What I've realized is, I'd almost taken those bad vibrations as another one of those Safari quirks, while the reality was different.
Surprisingly, the old mounts still don't look like they are faulty; attaching a pic below for you all to see and comment!
thanks for the update. I had some questions on the change of engine mount.
How much did the engine mount change cost?
All mounts were changed?
how different is it post the mount change?

thank you,
Arvind
Old 20th January 2021, 11:03   #824
BHPian

Quote:
thanks for the update. I had some questions on the change of engine mount.
How much did the engine mount change cost?
All mounts were changed?
how different is it post the mount change?

thank you,
Arvind
Don't recall the exact amount but it was not that expensive (for an imp.part), maybe 1.2K (approx.)each. Tried checking on the app but it does not show the break up, just the total amount paid.

They changed two mounts, not aware if there are more. The most apparent difference, as I mentioned in my post, was in the startup and shutdown, post this change. Being a big, heavy diesel, it has pronounced vibrations during these cycles. But in my case, there were also these heavy 'thud' vibrations, which went away entirely post the change.

Hope this helps.
avinash_m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2021, 11:41   #825
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
..... how come a part like a brake disc would need a replacement, in 4 years and less than 50K kms?!
I think they try to be on the safe side. During my service day-before yesterday, they did point out the wear-out on mine - approx 1.9mm wear. But I have done 93k.

A lot depends on your style of braking.

Btw, have you replaced the pads yet ? if yes, when ? My brake-pads were replaced @ 48k approx, and still have a little life left in them. If you have not replaced the brake pads yet, then discs should not come up for replacement so soon. The brake-pads should come up for replacement first, before the discs.

Btw, FWIK, the brakes should get noisy in a typical way when either are nearing EoL.
Quote:
Storme owners can you please help me on how to set time in the Harman music system.
Arvind, did you get a new one in the last one month ? I did pass by your place in Dec, but only saw the good ol Dicor - parked iinnssidde, safely

Last edited by condor : 20th January 2021 at 11:48.
condor is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks