Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 3rd January 2016, 11:56   #76
BHPian

Re: Tata Safari Storme Varicor 400 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Sun-roof

Cruise Control: - Used it in the Laura (AT) and the Aria (MT) and in fact even more often in the Aria MT. It was possible to use Cruise control even at speeds of 40kmph in 3rd Gear in the Aria and it was very useful. We would go for drives at night and simply place the car in cruise and go along slowly. Also of course it had a lot of use on highways. The Aria Cruise Control System was superb and performed even better than the one on the Laura and hence it is sad they do not consider adding it to other vehicles. Also it must be mentioned that the Aria Automatic Headlights and Rain Sensing Wipes too were perfect in their detection and again better than of the VW group and are missed by me in all vehicles since.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunishsamuel View Post
Cruise control should be a must feature in a vehicle like storme. For the long highway cruises, i always missed this feature. While it takes the "Drive" feeling out, it is actually a comfortable and safer option. Why ? If you keep pressing the accelerator to maintain speeds of 80kmph, it never happens. You end up giving pressure on the pedal inconsistently resulting in varying speeds and less mileage (though its inadvertent most of the times). With cruise control, the speed is maintained consistently - you get to drive at 80kmph (which is the max speed limit of many of our highways) plus gives you better fuel economy.
Agreed ... You both are slowly convincing me to expect Cruise Control in STORME But, I believe, this wouldnt be a deal maker nor a breaker for me.
I have used Cruise Control a lot in Interstate highways in US, close to "always", I would say.
I never missed it in Indian highways primarily because a surprise elements like Bicycle OR a Bullock Cart OR a Tractor may come in anytime !

Prem.
kaviprem is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2016, 12:00   #77
Team-BHP Support

@ kaviprem

I believe others have made their POV regarding cruise control & I frankly, don't have much to add after reading those replies, I abide by them.

Sun-roof aids hugely to the ambiance, drive a sun-roof equipped car in rains or full moon night and you should be appreciating it next time round.

POV on an open forum might be discussed upon by any member, if you chose to express it then be ready for few questions & discussions & one's genuine confusion/questionnaire shouldn't be taken as targeting one. At least I have better things to do, maybe read a travelogue.

Last edited by GTO : 4th January 2016 at 11:29. Reason: Quoted post deleted
Sheel is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2016, 12:40   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceman82 View Post

Storme EX model has most of the features which I want (Airbags would have been nice) and looks much better than barebones XUV500 W4 model/Renault Duster but I just cannot buy Storme EX knowing that a better Gearbox and Engine tune is available.
with you Aceman! Was always interested in the EX as paying 2lacs more for two airbags and alloys along with heated ORVMs and few small bits seemed too steep to me and the budget in my mind was 13 lacs.

But now with the 400Nm only in the VX , i am no longer interested in the EX , just for the sake of the torque and 6 speed box and i have already began the calculations keeping a figure of 16lacs in mind for the manual 4x2 and if TaMo launches auto in the coming months , i am probably looking at 17 Lacs OTR minimum.

TaMo please launch EX with 400Nm and 6 speed box and i will save about 3.5 lacs
rosaf is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2016, 13:59   #79
Senior - BHPian

Cruise control is a must have in a vehicle like Storme. I've missed it sorely on all my highway drives. Highways in TN where most of my drives have been are pretty good so this feature helps. Even in my last long drive which was Chennai Goa the roads were good and cruise control would have benefited the right foot. Given a choice between AMT ( left foot saver ) and cruise control ( right foot saver ) I would prefer the latter
narayan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2016, 14:20   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Agree 100% the Storme EX is a missed opportunity they should have had the Varicor 400 Engine and 6 Speed Grearbox setup for that as well. One does set a feeling that with so many wanting this it just might become available. Yes the XUV500 W8 is the equivalent model but I my case I would select the Storme unless going for the XUV W8 AT but in the case of XUV the W8 AWD is missing you can get only AT or AWD in W8 and that too is roughly another 1L further up. There though is also the option of the VX 4X2 Varicor 400 priced lower that the 4X4 that may meet your requirements.

The issue is that with Storme 4*2 Vs XUV500 W8 FWD --> XUV is just 75,000 extra but has a lot more features. I would rather go for XUV in that scenario.

I agree that you statement that XUV500 is much better in AT compared to MT. Then again I'd like to stick with GTO's statement of not spending more than 6-8 months of salary on a Car since that gives piece of mind and car owning does not become a burden.

This comes to around 14-17 Lakhs Budget. Hence XUV500 W8 AWD at 18 lakhs is already a stretch. Since AT and AWD comes only in W10 model it pushes the on-road price to around 21 lakhs (Chennai Road tax is 15%). This is above and beyond what I want to spend on a car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosaf View Post

Yep, EX model has most of required features and was well within my Budget at 13.5 Lakhs (after discounts and stuff). Now since 400 nm + 6 Speed gearbox is launched, I just don't want the old 320 nm Model anymore.

I hope TML launches Varicor 400 in Ex trim in the next 3-4 months (along with the current discount of 40K ). If not XUV500 or Rapid DSG it is.

Last edited by Aceman82 : 3rd January 2016 at 14:34.
Aceman82 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2016, 15:57   #81
ISO
BANNED

Quote:

+1

Indeed foolish marketing strategy of not giving Varicor-400 and six speed GB on EX variant.

No wonder Safari Storme having lowest monthly sale figures.

And what about minor changes done to engine, are they also not available to EX?

Last edited by ISO : 3rd January 2016 at 16:08.
Old 3rd January 2016, 18:58   #82
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceman82 View Post
i feel that Storme VX 4*4 at 18L is very expensive and only some Rs:65,000 lesser than equivalent XUV500 W8 AWD model. At this price point XUV500 would be default choice (at-least for me).
Likewise!

Quote:
I believe the Suspension was already tweaked sufficiently (tightened) in the refresh earlier this year, and is the right balance right now.
So true! I'd any day live with the Storme's suspension than the Scorpio's bumpy tune.

Quote:
Cruise Control: - Used it in the Laura (AT) and the Aria (MT) and in fact even more often in the Aria MT. It was possible to use Cruise control even at speeds of 40kmph in 3rd Gear in the Aria and it was very useful.
Guess it's a personal thing, but I have NEVER been able to use cruise control in India. And I'm on my 3rd car with it.

Quote:
As our review mentions, Tata has too many 'Safaris' on sale. They should make the 400 Nm Storme standard across the range and discontinue all others.
GTO is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 4th January 2016, 12:22   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
Girish, I agree with you, my next SUV will have to be an automatic, however on the Storme, it is almost an automatic, especially at highway speeds where you stick to the 5th (in 400's case 6th), from as low as 50kmph onward. The need for an automatic is felt in bumper to bumper crawls, however I prefer not to take a 5 meter long SUV in peak traffic, it is too painful.
Regarding the automatic for the Storme, I believe Tata will launch it with the Hexa.
Dear apachelongbow,
Interesting take. I had a Honda City Manual ZXI VTEC 2006 (sold 2015) and now I have a Honda Jazz V CVT.
The main deciding factor was the smooth driving of Jazz at speeds below 40 in bad traffic. I appreciate your point of the Storme being almost automatic above 50 kmph. My City was the same - above 40 kmph! But I feel the need for AT mainly for traffic.
Even I prefer not to take a big car in traffic. However, some times it is not a choice. And some times I have actually felt the bigger cars getting through traffic faster due to various factors.
Old 4th January 2016, 14:38   #84
Distinguished - BHPian

One thing I completely missed in my earlier post is the turning radius. At one particular place where my Linea needs a 3 point turn, I was able to complete the turn in one shot and was impressed with it.

I am looking forward to HEXA with a lot more equipment when paying big bucks.
Old 5th January 2016, 09:05   #85
BHPian

ACM, great review. I used to follow your Aria ownership thread quite closely earlier. It was one of the reasons I did not pick an Aria in those times.

Thanks to you and Tushar for doing a great job with the Varicor review.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaviprem View Post
CRETA and DUSTER are a mockery SUV, I would say. It targets the mass who wants a SUV look to drive away Autorickshaws out of their way !
+1 to that. I completely agree. They are called SUVs primarily because of looks. Of course, they serve a great demand in the market, but they are not SUVs. I guess the reason they get compared is because most of the laymen consider them to be SUVs, plus the price points for these non-SUVs is so high anyways, that they get compared nevertheless.
anshuman_v is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2016, 22:15   #86
BHPian

ACM, thanks for a great review.

My current car (Vento TDI) is about to complete 5 years. I am thinking about whether to continue use it or exchange for a new car. If I choose to upgrade, definitely Safari Storm 400 will be in the consideration list.

I never owned a Tata vehicle, but I owned Palio for 3 years, I had a good experience with Tata then which is better than Volkswagen service experience.

I drove Safari dicor and safari storme couple of times (well maintained vehicles), I always liked the vehicle to drive. From your review, I am exited to test drive storme 400.
mohanaj is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th January 2016, 13:58   #87
BHPian

Thanks ACM for the fantastic review !!

You having possessed the previous generation Safari have provided the apt comparative on the refinements that has come along with the Safari Varicor 400 from TATA.

I have always been a fan of this vehicle irrespective of it's dated structure which has been prevailing since the time the vehicle was launched. There is something which draws my attention to the Safari always and I was so looking forward to this one. The refinements as per your review is indeed impressive and makes the New Safari Varicor 400 worth to check in flesh.

Having read your review, I called up K.B. Motors, the closest TATA MOTORS Dealership to my office in Kolkata enquiring about the Safari Varicor 400 4x4. Thereafter, I got a call from the Gentleman from the dealership and am sharing the conversation as under :

The gentleman asked - "Which Car of TATA are you interested to buy Sir ?"

My answer was - "None as of now !! However, I do not mind to have a Test Drive of the TATA SAFARI Varicor 400 4x4 and may be thereafter I could make a decision."

The gentleman answered - "Sir, as of now we do not have the Car with us to provide you with a Test Drive. However, you can book the car by paying the advance; in the meanwhile we will arrange for the car for you to give you the desired Test Drive"

My Answer - "Aisa hota hai kya !!"

The gentleman said - "Sir, let me check with TATA as to how we can arrange a Test Drive for you and I shall get back to you soon"

I have had the opportunity (fortune or misfortune, I am not commenting) to own 3 TATA Cars previously (a decade ago) and what I feel is that the TATA Package is never bad, it is the dealers who play mischief and ruin the worth of the product and the brand. The above conversation just reflects that they have still not mend their ways yet. TATA should filter out such channel partners from their kitty in order to benefit their Brand in the long run.

I am checking with the other dealers who apparently have stock of the Varicor 400 4x4. Keeping fingers crossed !!
Old 6th January 2016, 18:10   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaviprem View Post
Agreed ... You both are slowly convincing me to expect Cruise Control in STORME But, I believe, this wouldnt be a deal maker nor a breaker for me.
I have used Cruise Control a lot in Interstate highways in US, close to "always", I would say.
I never missed it in Indian highways primarily because a surprise elements like Bicycle OR a Bullock Cart OR a Tractor may come in anytime !

Prem.
From the review it seems clear that the low end torque has drastically improved. Trust me you wont miss cruise control in India, barring a few roads like the Hyderabad ORR and similar. With good low end grunt, the Storme is more than capable of chugging along without having to fight with the gears to keep it in the powerband like in the Dicor.

Quote:

Sound deadening within the cabin is very impressive. Road noise is controlled and though the Storme (235/70 R16) and XUV500 (235/65 R17) use Bridgestone Dueler rubber, the tyres make quite a ruckus in the Mahindra, which just isn't the case here. Under most driving conditions, engine noise is muffled well and it's only prominent at higher rpm levels. On the flip side, there is a certain amount of vibration that can be felt through the steering wheel, gear lever, floor pedals and door panels. These are noticeable, albeit not excessive.

The 200 mm of ground clearance is more than enough to take on the mountains that the municipality calls speed breakers. Inexistent roads should pose no problem at all. The Varicor 400 is a proper SUV that can be had with 4x4 (electronic shift-on-the-fly mechanism), a low range transfer case and limited slip differential. If you intend to tour through the country or frequently access rural areas, 4x4 is a must-have option.

This SUV has disc brakes on all four wheels. The braking ability is reassuring. Since you only get the Varicor 400 tune on the top-end VX variant, ABS & EBD come as standard. Nose dive under braking is well managed and easily better than it is in the XUV500.
Any comments on the in cabin wind noise post 120 kph all the way to the top and the subsequent turbo humm that follows?

I wonder why the ground clearance has reduced to 200 mm from the 240 mm of the Dicor!

I feel Tata should junk the Dicor and the other 2.2 engine options and provide this 400 engine across the Storme range. That will clear the clutter and help the customer focus on the best option tata has.

Also, i wonder when they will redesign their website. Its so pale in comparision to the product on offer and not even in the reckoning with the competitions websites.

Tata, are you listening.

Last edited by Eddy : 8th January 2016 at 11:50. Reason: Merged
jaysmokesleaves is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2016, 18:48   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
I wonder why the ground clearance has reduced to 200 mm from the 240 mm of the Dicor!
Reduced to 200 from 205 mm of the dicor.

https://safari.tatamotors.com/dicor/...specifications
navpreet318 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th January 2016, 19:08   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
Reduced to 200 from 205 mm of the dicor.

https://safari.tatamotors.com/dicor/...specifications
Maybe you are right. I do remember though, when i had bought my Safari in 2008, it was advertised as 235/240mm.
Nevertheless, if you notice, in comparison to the Dicor, the intercooler guard sits lower down, that is not really positive when going offroad coupled with the front overhang.

Also, the articulation on the front suspension is much less in comparison to the rear. In the Dicor 4x4, the front suspension was adjustable for ride height. Is it possible to adjust this in the Storme 4x4?

Can you specify the official wading depth also? I think it was 320/ 350 mm in the Dicor, though i do remember taking the Dicor swimming in slightly above 2 ft of water.

Last edited by jaysmokesleaves : 6th January 2016 at 19:10.

Most Viewed