Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 31st December 2015, 14:09   #16
BHPian

Re: Tata Safari Storme Varicor 400 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
The Storme Varicor 400's ride quality is outstanding, planted and tangibly better than the first-gen Storme. It's excellent over imperfect roads and uneven patches, completely defeating bumpy SUVs like the Scorpio and Fortuner. No comparison. I found the ride quality to be superior to even the monocoque XUV500. The Storme flattens broken roads like few other cars can.
How would you compare the ride quality with Duster? I know i am asking a comparison between 2 odd couples
For me that's the benchmark and was 1 critical reason to go with my "head" choice of Duster over my "heart" choice of Storme way back in 2014.
Old 31st December 2015, 14:20   #17
BHPian

Another Excellent Official Review like always

I don't understand the strategy of TATA for the Safari Storme. They have gone for massive rebuilding of the SUV and launched Storme and now Varicor 400, but they have not done anything to the overall looks and it still carries the same decade old exterior. Until unless the exterior is completely overhauled, the perception of the masses will not change. We all know how perception plays a big role in Indian Market.

May be they are playing too safe or planning a big change, may be all these are experiments to launch that perfect SUV

Regards

Last edited by chandrda : 31st December 2015 at 14:24. Reason: Spelling
chandrda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2015, 14:24   #18
Senior - BHPian

Glad to know it's not just a remap & has real hardware changes - the difference as evident in the way it behaves & responds even at lower revs. In terms of engineering, TATA definitely seem to have accelerated it's efforts.

The Storme seems like a very competent package at 65% of the price of a certain Japanese brand. Hoped the comparo had Fortuner in the column after Storme400 & btw, why Creta?

Anyway, with its chassis shorter than that of Aria, its a proper SUV & meant to be a lifestyle vehicle. While anyone looking for a 7 seater can choose the 'Hexa'.

Given how they've tweaked the " when & how " the extra torque comes into play, I'm not surprised that they haven't changed suspension components for the Storme 400.

I think the reason for them to provide 2 versions of Storme is to differentiate between the variants like big brands do (like the Chevrolet did with Trailblazer).

In the long term, this'll mean fewer variants with larger differentiation between them. Also eventually making the parts bin when manufacturing of only 2 variants. Ex. Not like some 2013 Aria's having wiring harness for the rear fog lights, but no lights fixed.

I'd guess even the servicing process will become more streamlined if Storme had only 2 types of parts, one for the 320nm & other for the 400nm.

I'm surprised they haven't integrated climate control whereas IIRC it was part of the concept vehicle.

Not surprised MID hasn't been provided for the Storme. I was told it's too late to change the instrument cluster design. Pretty sure it will be there in the MUV version.

As an adolescent, I used to yearn to *drive* a car & operate it by shifting gears. Now, I don't want it as much. I want an auto box. My dad would need one, if he were to drive. I'm pretty sure there are more like me and I hope Tata Motors find it viable & integrates a good one ASAP. I've heard of a gearbox by "XF" & it being same as the one in the Chevy Trailblazer and hope that's done from the start when the next MUV is launched.

Nice review of the updates, ACM. Valuable instructions sir. & great pics by Tushaar.

Rated 5 stars

Still remember GTO had posted I suggest Karl Slym to try & give us a better MUV. Let's see if 'Hexa' meets his expectation in March, next.

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 31st December 2015 at 14:34.
GrammarNazi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st December 2015, 14:28   #19
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by soumobakshi View Post
How would you compare the ride quality with Duster? I know i am asking a comparison between 2 odd couples
For me that's the benchmark and was 1 critical reason to go with my "head" choice of Duster over my "heart" choice of Storme way back in 2014.
I would rate the Storme Ride Comfort higher than the Duster. One does not feel the Road imperfections at all in the Storme and does not have to slowdown or watch out for most speed bumps or potholes. The Duster while also very good (much better than my EcoSport in this aspects) effectively glides over the Road (also much more settled than the Scorpio and Fortuner) while the Storme seemingly stomps down on it and the suspension springs and shocks are hard at work.

I would on the other hand rate the Duster Ride Dynamics much higher than the Storme. The Storme cannot defy the laws of nature, it can only do a reasonable job of cornering considering that it is much taller and heavier than the Duster so it accordingly corners as such and one instinctively does not push it to it's limits. The Storme cornering is commendable but the Duster is much better and almost car like in this aspect.

So if it is elegant cruising at moderate speeds that one is looking for the Storme is right up there. If one wishes to navigate traffic and corner at high speeds then it is the Duster that would be preferred.

Duster is probably the "middle path" between say an EcoSport or even a sedan and the Storme. What suits one depends on individual preferences.
ACM is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 31st December 2015, 14:29   #20
BHPian

ACM & Tushar
Nice review while a lot of folks were expecting this in TBHP. Thanks and appreciate your time/effort.

ACM
I think, your comparison with the STORME 320 and ARIA has been really helpful and I really wish we get to see what we want in HEXA in real.

One thing, I dont agree the comparison of STORME with CRETA and DUSTER. Are you by any chance, forced to do this comparison in your chart ?
CRETA and DUSTER are a mockery SUV, I would say. It targets the mass who wants a SUV look to drive away Autorickshaws out of their way !

To an extent, XUV500 comparison itself is not justified because XUV500 is a compromise b/w SUV and MUV. Its neither here nor there ! Please, dont call it a Crossover though it was released as a probable answer to ARIA

Prem.

Last edited by kaviprem : 31st December 2015 at 14:34.
kaviprem is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st December 2015, 14:40   #21
Senior - BHPian

We can also refer to completely biased review by ACI. It seems that the review was done either without driving Varicor 400 or by driving Dicor instead.

http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-rev...ve-399378.aspx

Mods: Please delete if it looks inappropriate to post it here.
sourabhzen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2015, 14:51   #22
BHPian

Is the Varicor 400 in so much demand? I am trying to buy the Storme for the past 3 months and the dealer in Bangalore is so incompetent. I was happy for the delay because Varicor 400 was launched this month, however it looks like there is a waiting period of 45 days!
Old 31st December 2015, 14:53   #23
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaviprem View Post

One thing, I dont agree the comparison of STORME with CRETA and DUSTER. Are you by any chance, forced to do this comparison in your chart ?
CRETA and DUSTER are a mockery SUV, I would say. It targets the mass who wants a SUV look to drive away Autorickshaws out of their way !

To an extent, XUV500 comparison itself is not justified because XUV500 is a compromise b/w SUV and MUV. Its neither here nor there ! Please, dont call it a Crossover though it was released as a probable answer to ARIA

Prem.
A buyer would generally fix a budget first while buying a vehicle and the Creata and Duster do fall in a similar price bracket. Next one would possibly decide if one is looking for a Sedan or SUV shape, and again these are all SUV shape vehicles. Next one might decide if one is looking for a 5 or 7 seater and so some extent the Strome is practically a 5 seater as the last row seats are just a technicality but are not really usable.

The True SUV vs Pseudo SUV would be the next stage and here one may find that at a Duster with AWD may go further than a Storme with 4X2.

I totally get your point and possibly if not for the price factor and that we are soon to have new 2016 models, I would have liked to also add the Fortuner, Endeavour and Pajero Sport. The Storme in my view is in the same league in some aspects like having a ladder frame (at least compared to their next gen smaller size engines) and yet not in some other aspects (like the Interior feature list.)

Additional data only helps in reconfirming the decision one arrives at.

Last edited by ACM : 31st December 2015 at 14:58.
ACM is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 31st December 2015, 15:05   #24
ISO
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandrda View Post
Another Excellent Official
I don't understand the strategy of TATA for the Safari Storme. They have gone for massive rebuilding of the SUV and launched Storme and now Varicor 400, but they have not done anything to the overall looks and it still carries the same decade old exterior. Until unless the exterior is completely overhauled, the perception of the masses will not change. We all know how perception plays a big role in Indian Market.
I live in Bahrain for past four years. Everyday I see different brands of SUVs. Believe me. Tata Safari Storme looks beautiful and modern.
ISO is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 31st December 2015, 15:15   #25
BHPian

For someone waiting for a Safari, this ends the discussion. There are, like many of your have said, no comparison between the Safari and anything short of the Fortuner when it comes to putting it to real SUV use. My cousin uses his Safari Dicor to move farm equipment and farm produce from his weekend get aways to his farm house. Try doing it on all the other competitors and you will see the light! While this is a big upgrade (the 6th gear), I was also hoping that this 400 variant could have come across the board. Simply because if you already are a Safari owner then you are already bought into by heart and a likely upgrade candidate. Since the old Safari did not come with anything inbuilt you would have invested in all sort of accessories (like sound system, amp, woofer etc). It might make sense to buy a variant that can swallow these and still get the extra torque, bhp and the taller gear. Anyways those are not deal breakers. The only grouse I have with the safari is not the 3rd row seat, its not needed for real SUV usage (remember the farm equipment thingy, you can't put 50 kgs of metal of a folded rear seat, you need real metal below) its the second seat not being able to tilt back a good number of degrees, like in the XUV. The Safari is a tourer and can churn hundreds of miles at a stretch. The rear bench in too upright for a long journey. Its comfy enough but too upright. This is one real pain that could have been easily addressed with some internal changes. The pricing is real decent for the upgrade. Auto would have made is a killer, but also too expensive for a Safari, with age behind it.
man_and_machine is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st December 2015, 15:20   #26
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKMahajan View Post
Do you have any idea if they are at least planning AT in this?
Considering a 6-speed AT is supposed to be coming in the Hexa, why not? Tata has certainly not given up on the Storme & these frequent updates show just that. In fact, the Storme is more important to them (in terms of sales) than the Aria.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soumobakshi View Post
How would you compare the ride quality with Duster?
I think both are awesome and there's little to choose between the two. However, as ACM said, the Duster combines that awesome ride quality with awesome handling (for an SUV). A Duster will run rings around a Storme when it comes to cornering.

Quote:
One thing, I dont agree the comparison of STORME with CRETA and DUSTER.
I included them. 'Real SUV' or not, customers will cross-shop between SUVs from the segment. Hence. It also helps in providing a size / price / power perspective. Don't take it too seriously though - there's not one reference to a Creta or Duster in the actual review.
GTO is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 31st December 2015, 15:36   #27
BHPian

Very comprehensive review - thanks ACM and Tushar. Although there are a few issues and areas for improvement called out, overall I feel that it definitely looks like a strong contender in the <20 L SUV category. Those who buy SUV's for road presence cannot just ignore this.
Old 31st December 2015, 15:37   #28
BHPian

Quote:

What you won’t:
• Niggling issues & problems (as per the many Safari ownership reports)
Thanks ACM for the wonderful review. One question though - you had mentioned about the niggling issues as one of the dislikes. If i am not wrong, it is the case with safari dicor and not strome. Don't remember reading about any such issues in the ownership reviews on the forum and on the opposite, am under the impression that QC of the TATA's recent products is on par with the competitors. Isn't it the case?
Old 31st December 2015, 15:59   #29
BHPian

Quote:
A buyer would generally fix a budget first while buying a vehicle and the Creata and Duster do fall in a similar price bracket. ...
I totally get your point and possibly if not for the price factor and that we are soon to have new 2016 models, I would have liked to also add the Fortuner, Endeavour and Pajero Sport. The Storme in my view is in the same league in some aspects like having a ladder frame (at least compared to their next gen smaller size engines) and yet not in some other aspects (like the Interior feature list.)

Additional data only helps in reconfirming the decision one arrives at.
I was explained this logic [price being the deciding factor for a category/segment] a couple of years ago when TATA VISTA is categorised a segment lower than SWIFT [if I remember right]. Its just my belief that the pricing shouldnt be a deciding factor for "segment" instead, it should be the capabilities. Belief can neither be questioned nor be answered/convinced. So, lets ignore.

But, yes, I would love to see the comparison of STORME v/s FORTUNER. I am sure there are positives being shared and short-comings as well on both the sides.
Narayan rightly mentioned about the "What you will not like" section - Why "niggles" are being reported. It seems like every TATA and M&M official review carries this as a norm. I dont know why it needs to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I included them. 'Real SUV' or not, customers will cross-shop between SUVs from the segment. Hence. It also helps in providing a size / price / power perspective. Don't take it too seriously though - there's not one reference to a Creta or Duster in the actual review.
Expected Probably, the official review should provide two tables - 1 compared against the similarly priced vehicles and the other showing the comparison with the actual capabilities.

The same mass [general public] may get mis-guided by the single comparison that STORME is pitted against DUSTER and CRETA which is actually NOT right technically.

I did read in full that the entire review didnt mention DUSTER/CRETA. But, the quick look at the comparison is what will mis-guide most of the general public because the real car fans would definitely read through the entire review and probably, not give any great importance to the table.

Prem.
kaviprem is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st December 2015, 16:42   #30
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
But not sure why you have mentioned about niggles and issues, I haven't noticed any niggling issues. Would be curious to know what those are.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sasi@8689 View Post
One question though - you had mentioned about the niggling issues as one of the dislikes. If i am not wrong, it is the case with safari dicor and not strome. Don't remember reading about any such issues in the ownership reviews on the forum and on the opposite, am under the impression that QC of the TATA's recent products is on par with the competitors. Isn't it the case?
Quote:
Narayan rightly mentioned about the "What you will not like" section - Why "niggles" are being reported. It seems like every TATA and M&M official review carries this as a norm. I dont know why it needs to be.
Yep the Storme has been steadily improving and the niggles as with any TATA vehicle are much reduced as observed in the various ownership reports and posts in various threads. .

Yet if we are to glance at the 2015 Storme official review thread, we do see a fair number of niggles. Which relatively speaking one would not find with say the Japs.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...al-review.html

There are 4 official review threads for the Storme over the years. Just referring to the thread above, one could check out posts
#316, #342, #338, #390, #389, #392, #330, #547, #549, #439, #444, #433, #435 etc, this in by no mean extensive for even that thread, just a listing from glancing over some of the pages.

Some of these refer to rattles and leaks in various places but there are some mechanical issues as well. That said this is much lesser than in the case of the Dicor 2.2 which has a thread dedicated to issues. and yet can't be ignored.

Also as mentioned in the review we had a certain rattle in the Dash at about 4000 RPM and also noticed the same inconsistency that is seen in the snap below from the 2015 refresh review.

Our test Storme unit had the exact same bit of plastic (near the driver side seat base / height adjuster lever that had come apart just as in this visual. Possibly Tushar may have a snap of that.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Safari Storme Varicor 400 : Official Review-2015tatasafaristorme19.jpg  

Last edited by ACM : 31st December 2015 at 16:51.
ACM is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed