Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2017, 19:00   #601
BHPian

Re: Tata Safari Storme Varicor 400 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
CONGRATS - to both of you !> Here's wishing you a long, happy ownership. May you have many more and longer journeys now on !
Thank you ..thank you and thank you

Quote:
Did you get the new Yoko AT's ?
you mean yoko Geolanders AT only, right?? if so, then yes.
Old 9th September 2017, 20:58   #602
BHPian

@condor, Sourabhzen; Quick query. the dealer said that the "Gold" pack can be procured till 45 days of purchase? is it true? i had asked him to bill out the same with the car

secondly, has SOUL broken apart, as he was mentioning that .

Finally, is there any way to increase the coverage of the Gold coverage from 60k -100K Kms ? ?

Last edited by Aditya : 10th September 2017 at 13:58. Reason: Spacing
Old 9th September 2017, 21:19   #603
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamwhatiam_okay View Post
you mean yoko Geolanders AT only, right?? if so, then yes.
Yes, Yoko says these are better than the prev version.

Quote:
@condor, Sourabhzen; Quick query. the dealer said that the "Gold" pack can be procured till 45 days of purchase? is it true? i had asked him to bill out the same with the car
Yes, but suggest to get it and be done with it.

Also, when you get your extended warranty, make sure that the extended warranty booklet is updated with Vehicle number, - and also make sure that it has been registered with TML.

Quote:
secondly, has SOUL broken apart, as he was mentioning that .
Dont think so. They are expanding it to include Hexa also now. I even got a mail yesterday with my login details.

Quote:
Finally, is there any way to increase the coverage of the Gold coverage from 60k -100K Kms ? ?
There may be one pack @ 50k / 60k, but need to check with TML. Been a long time since I got mine, so not sure of current options.

Last edited by Aditya : 10th September 2017 at 13:58. Reason: Quoted text edited
condor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th September 2017, 21:35   #604
BHPian

@condor, thank you for inputs , am visiting him tomorrow. Will update post discussion
Old 9th September 2017, 21:51   #605
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
@condor, thank you for inputs , am visiting him tomorrow. Will update post discussion
Missed one point - what you can do is - ask for details of the Gold AMC. Check with other dealers too - may be in another city & find if there is a Gold AMC with longer duration. Have seen that they sometimes do not know of all the options. Once you check with other dealers and may be TML, then you can finalise on the Gold AMC duration.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2017, 13:27   #606
BHPian

Quote:
Ahem Ahem Ahem :-)
I will start this post with a big thanks to myself (for favouring heart over mind) and my better half for supporting me in this craziness.
Hearty Congratulations and Welcome to the Storme family!!

Quote:
The drive and the feeling is beyond compare, the experience at Pahwa motors was great.
The first few days are always special; please spend time learning the beast and she won't disappoint you!

Quote:
Having said that , the first niggle wrt the ORVM making sound while opening today is like Deja-vu . have no clue what caused it, since i had already instructed my cleaner not to touch the ORVM and i haven't left the truck out of my sight during the accessorizing. But that is i guess the part and parcel of owning a piece of legacy called Safari Storme
If it is the slow but prominent creaking sound (kat-kat-kat) then don't bother much. Has been on mine since day one and I have lived with it; thing is, you don't close-open that often anyway! But understand it is a new car for you, so you can get it checked when you visit the ASC.

Regarding you AMC query, and as condor has already suggested, get the AMC out of the way sooner than later. Once you put down the payment, be after those guys to give your AMC number. About the Gold AMC, I think they do have a 4 yr one as well, not sure about KM limit though, please check with your dealer. Else, you could take the 3 yr Gold and avail the Silver from 4th year onward; but again, they've a max KMs run criteria on that as well. The Silver is not as comprehensive as the Gold but still is worth considering, if you want to save some money. The dealer should help you with all the AMC info, for you to make the call.

Wishing you many thousand miles of niggle free ownership; Drive Safe!!

Last edited by tsk1979 : 26th September 2017 at 03:47. Reason: More Info
Old 11th September 2017, 11:56   #607
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ahem Ahem Ahem
I will start this post with a big thanks to myself (for favouring heart over mindclap and my better half for supporting me in this craziness.
Congratulations iamwhatiam! Wish you many many happy miles with your Storme.

It is good that you switched to AT tyres. That is the only thing I miss on my Storme. Regarding khat sound in mirror, I had that in my LHS mirror from day one. As luck would have it, I broke it in 3 months or so. The new one does not have that sound. However, the sound will come whenever you fold it after bending it accidentally. That ways it re-align itself IMO.

Install TMSC app on your mobile and you will get all warranty, AMC and other details in the app. It also help in booking service request and other things.

Register in soul at http://soul.tatamotors.com. For me the registration initially took a lot of time as the site was not recognizing the Chassis number. You can also look for soul in facebook and join. There is a WhatsApp group of SOUL NCR members where you can join for regular updates on drives and meets.

Once again, congratulations and enjoy your drive!
Old 16th September 2017, 08:43   #608
BHPian

@avinash, Sourabhzen, thank you once again for your warm wishes. As mentioned before, really appreciate the time and advice shared with me , during this decision making process and look forward to more pearls of wisdom wrt the strome from eveyone who has had a longer history than me.

The kat-kat-kat sound is a bother given that it appeared from day 2, however, i understand that its not a show stopper and just a niggle. Will be visiting the ASC. Surprisingly i got the call from ASC for service appointment fixing in advance and pick/drop last week , have told them to get in touch by mid next month, as there have been no kms garnered .The beast is still 250 km old ( shame on me )

couldn't make it to the dealer last week, will be doing the same this week. I was informed that SOUL requires permanent number of vehicle , given that i am still awaiting the UP numbers, not registered yet.

Whatsapp group will make sense, as i am not in FB.
Old 18th September 2017, 13:34   #609
BHPian

iamwhatiam...

congratulations on getting the storme.
I am very very interested in getting one myself, but just not able to convince myself to pay 18L for something that is exactly what I need sans an AT box and a updated dash/instruments.

If you can, please do share your thought process of selecting and purchasing the storme.

cheers
lazy
Old 18th September 2017, 20:30   #610
BHPian

Quote:
please do share your thought process of selecting and purchasing the storme.
While @iam can add whatever he would like to; you could flip a couple of pages back and get an idea. I don't think he started a thread on this; most of the discussion happened on the existing Storme threads.

Quote:
I am very very interested in getting one myself, but just not able to convince myself to pay 18L for something that is exactly what I need sans an AT box and a updated dash/instruments.
Honestly, if you've any such inkling in your mind; please spare yourself the dilemma and go for the Hexa XTA eyes closed! You'll be much happy and satisfied in the long run, if you plan to keep it anything longer than 3-5 yrs.
avinash_m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2017, 20:55   #611
BANNED

Quote:
The truck was grandly taken from the showroom on thursday, followed up by a AT changeover to yokohama.

Having said that , the first niggle wrt the ORVM making sound while opening today is like Deja-vu .
Dunno how I missed it, nevertheless, hearty congratulations on bringing the icon home and wish a million km of happiness. Is it a 2WD or a 4WD?

The OVRM sound is a known sound (not an issue) and while it goes away with time on some trucks, it stays on with others but doesn't hamper performance.

Post your review if you have the time for it and make sure to remove those ribbons.
Old 26th September 2017, 01:39   #612
BHPian

Help!!

**Please excuse if the language doesn't make sense; not fully aware of all the associated tech. jargon **

I was waiting to meet an old friend, by the road side, with the engine on (with AC) when another car owner requested me to back off a little bit, for him to get out. Pulled the clutch and tried engaging reverse, but instead felt the gear lever suddenly go loose?! The lever just stayed there on the extreme right, wherein one would engage reverse, without returning to the dead center position! As the other car was waiting for me to back off, I tried engaging reverse again, it felt like it was slotting, half-way only into the gate, but upon releasing the clutch gently, it only moved forward!
Switched on my hazards, slotted into first (half gate again), and slowly rolled about 50 meters, to an empty space in a side lane and parked it. My friend had already arrived, so had to lock and walk back to the spot. Have come back home now, in a cab.

While I am wondering/fearing what would've happened; recalled that I'd thrice (I've counted), in the last 18 mths, made the mistake of half clutch shift, while trying for quick shifts, wherein the GB had protested! Could this contribute? Sad part is, I can't attend to it tomorrow morning as well due to a packed office schedule; would only be free by 4:30-5.

Requesting experts for some insights until then?!

Last edited by tsk1979 : 26th September 2017 at 03:48.
Old 30th September 2017, 01:39   #613
BHPian

UPDATE!

Got the truck back today, finally! It was a tense few days but all looks good now. The gear shifts are much better now with positive slots into the gates and a lot smoother too. A two finger push into 2nd was impossible earlier!
The gear lever too doesn't have any play; I'd definitely noticed the play over the past 2-3 months, now that I can compare the before and after.

Coming to the problem itself, I still couldn't get a clear picture from the mechanic. What I could gather from what he told me was, the shifter/lever is connected via a yolk/pin mechanism to the gearbox, via an adapter plate. They'd to un-mount the GB, to access this arrangement, and that's when they found that the lever had managed to dislodge itself, from that position, as the pin had failed. Actually, the increased play in the lever, and the consequent difficulty in engaging gears (specially 1st, 2nd and Rev) were already signs of this impending failure; didn't realize it! But I do recall complaining to the SA in the last service about the shifts being hard. They, probably didn't pay attn. and I took it to be one of those 'safari' things.

The main worry still is what caused it?! Neither the SA or mechanic are able to provide any answers; and also admitted that it is the first time (in their exp) they saw this on a Storme. Thing is, I am not even sure if there's something (driving style, city running etc.) which inadvertently contributed to this?! Although, I found people complaining about the inherent shift quality, didn't see that resulting in a failure of this kind anywhere?!

Would really appreciate any inputs from experienced folks

Attaching a pic of the GB with the (assumed) problem area highlighted for reference; this is a 4X4 GB assembly with the transfer case. For mine, the only difference would be the absence of a transfer case and only the rear drive shaft yolk provision from the rear of the GB.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Safari Storme Varicor 400 : Official Review-safarigb.png  

avinash_m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2017, 16:48   #614
BHPian

First paid service at 60k in 40 months of ownership. Usual service and replacements. Total bill INR 12,000 incl taxes. Satisfied with services provided by Tayal Motors Faridabad, my regular service center Trans Auto has closed down due to issues with TATA.

SA has advised me to change the rear left shocker and all 4 break pads in next 2000 km.
garyag79 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2017, 21:33   #615
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyag79 View Post
First paid service at 60k in 40 months of ownership. Usual service and replacements. Total bill INR 12,000 incl taxes. Satisfied with services provided by Tayal Motors Faridabad, my regular service center Trans Auto has closed down due to issues with TATA.

SA has advised me to change the rear left shocker and all 4 break pads in next 2000 km.
My beast would also be going in for 60K service next month in 36 months of ownership. I would like to check with you details about this service and if possible a split of the bill, which would help me.

I have a silver AMC which should cover most of the expenses. But still wanted to know what was included in the 60K service.

Can I request you to please post the bill details if possible so that I can look at the same or you can PM me in case you do not wish to share it publicly?

Cheers!

Most Viewed