Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 29th October 2017, 07:38   #1711
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tata Tiago : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghatotkatch View Post
Oh and we had started with Prerna Motors in BTM layout. Couple of visits - no AMT available for TD, ..... He got my booking alright, but then Concorde messed it up *after* getting the booking.
Though I would like to book my car where I take the TD, I also try to keep the TD and purchase separate. I will take TD with any dealer - or more than one dealer. For me the sale is most likely with the place where I will do the servicing. Coming to these two dealerships, I have had positive response on TD with both. But Concorde being a Tata subsidary, looks to have more TD vehicles compared to all other dealers. So whenever one wants a TD of a specific model, Concorde is a safe bet.
condor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2017, 14:19   #1712
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
For me the sale is most likely with the place where I will do the servicing.
Definitely, I would do so too. But I would additionally take a TD with the dealer even if I am convinced about the car. TD is litmus test for the dealer too, not only for the car. It's pre-sales. If you are not keen on selling to a prospective customer, getting the car serviced there after sales is hara-kiri for the customer.
Old 2nd November 2017, 19:32   #1713
BHPian

This is new feedback based on my recent experience with the Tiago XZ (9000 km). I drove it on the Noida Expressway from Delhi to Greater Noida. I was very comfortably able to maintain speeds of 90-100 km/hr and there was enough oomph to overtake. At higher RPMs over 1800 - 2000 the gear lever does not vibrate at all. The brakes are excellent and there is no fade at all and very reliable and confident feeling driving at 100 + kmph. Outward journey was early morning to play golf so no AC needed. On the way back I had the AC on and there was no problem in CITY mode in overtaking. The car engine did feel more strained but I had no problem overtaking and keeping up with all cars including SWIFT, i20, etc.
ashokabs is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2017, 10:40   #1714
BHPian

21 October 2017

My best friend had been telling me that he wanted to buy a car for more than 7 months now. He called me on saturday evening and told me that his dad told him to go for a Maruti Celerio and even got him a quote for Celerio Vxi for 5.1 lakhs. He wanted to know if Celerio was a good car.

I told him to hold his horses and that I would send him a list of hatchbacks in his budget and tomorrow we'll go for test drives.

A bit more about my friend. He knows how to drive and has a licensed but has not driven a car for over a year so he apparently"forgot" but rather he is nervous to drive. Good for me I got to test drive every car and also take delivery of his new car.

22 October 2017

My friend's budget was 5 - 6.25l. His requirements were - petrol hatchback, all safety features(I have driven a lot of sense into him, he even used to refuse to wear seatbelt in my car 5 years back), decent resale value (optional).

We went and test drove the following cars, in the same order:
* Toyota Liva
* Maruti Suzuki Ignis
* Ford Figo
* Tata Tiago
* Maruti Suzuki Celerio
* Hyundai Grand i10

Happy to say that all dealerships were open and extremely accomodating on a boring Sunday. Got test drives everywhere immediately. We went to the Hyundai dealership at 6pm and were attended to. Also when we rushed back to the Tata dealership, for a second time, at 7pm they let us in even though they had closed and allowed us to check the car again. All SAs patiently explained the discounts and finance options to my friend and me.

Post test drives my friend who kept saying the Tiago looks like Indica thanked me for taking him to Tata motors. He felt the car was really premium and looked handsome.

The shortlist:

* Toyota Liva GX - He loved it. But this was the costliest option. Post discount on road price was 6.24l.

* Tata Tiago XZ - I had just changed his opinion of Tata and he also absolutely loved the car. No discounts since it was hot selling at the moment. But onroad price for XZ with alloys was 5.85lacs. A steal !

* Hyundai Grand i10 1.2 Sportz - Hyundai was offering a flat 50k discount on the Grand i10. So the 6.45 lacs became 5.95l plus dealer was willing to do another 10k + extended warranty free if we booked the car within two days. My friend rejected since it does not come with ABS( I was proud).

* Maruti Suzuki Ignis Delta MT - This was a fallback option incase his dad only wanted him to buy a Maruti. Got a 6.01 lac quote.

23 October 2017

He called his dad and told his shortlist. His dad told him to buy the car he liked. So he called me up and we decided on either the Liva or Tiago. After weighing the pros and cons we decided that he was losing out a lot more buying the Liva (plus I was pushing him for the Tiago, I don't think even any sales guy would have tried so hard).

He called me at 5:00pm and told that he booked the Tiago XZ in Espresso Brown. I was a happy! Dealer was Concorde Motors, Velachery road, Guindy. Sales guy came to his office and collected the booking amount and the next day the finance guy from Tata came to his house and collected all documents, we only went here for test drive and delivery.

02 November 2017

The D day was here everything went of really well, the sales guy was a breeze to deal with. He complied with all our requests. The car was spic and span. Odo had 63kms at handover and I drove it another 57kms. Made my friend move his new car in 1st gear ahead in the delivery bay. We went straight to Bodyguard Muneeshwaran did a small pooja. Then drove around aimlessly for sometime, filled fuel it took in 27.8liters. the MID displayed average mileage of 14.9kmpl.

Tata Tiago : Official Review-img_20171103_094252.jpg
The number plates were fixed after this picture

__________________________________________________ ______

What I loved about this car was the small details that really make it desirable compared to the competition even from a segment higher.

* The damped glovebox, felt lining on top of the windows near the rubber beading. The carry bag hook in the boot and the passenger footwell, the meaty stalks.

* The cool instrument cluster without gaudy redline marking (rather the needle turns red), the small box in the MID that gives a gear change suggestion, the premium looking and feeling dashboard.

* The brilliant music system by Harman, the smart rear wiper and the follow me home lamps, the small little slots to lock in the unused rear seatbelts, the perfectly contoured steering wheel.

* The light clutch, sure slotting gearbox, strong brakes, easy to drive engine all make this car a solid proposition.

* Tata has also been brainy and skimped out on only little features that actually don't matter to most first time buyers or for second car in the house buyer or for a person upgrading from an alto or Nano. No power folding mirrors and no ACC no problem. The AC in the petrol Tiago is a beast.

Overall this a brilliant car and I am glad my friend ended up buying the so called 'Indica' !

Why this long post? To show not just my friend, but also potential first time car buying team-BHPians and lurkers that you can get more paisa vasool for your money if you shop around a bit. Also some cars look sweeter in person.

P.S. I also made him join a driving school and he has been going for classes for the past 3 days. He is also asking me to come over and teach him to drive this Sunday so that he can start driving his new car from next week.

Last edited by SDP : 10th November 2017 at 19:13. Reason: Corrected manufacturer for Grand i10 :)
Shanksta is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2017, 11:29   #1715
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanksta View Post
21 October 2017

P.S. I also made him join a driving school and he has been going for classes for the past 3 days. He is also asking me to come over and teach him to drive this Sunday so that he can start driving his new car from next week.
Congrats to your friend on the new car.

Driving practice in a brand new car is not a good idea IMO. A learner is bound to revv the engine unnecessary in the 1st gear, stall the engine which will put a strain on the new engine. The new engine needs run-in and during run-in period these are strictly a no-no.

It will better to learn driving on a old car and then take his new car to the road.
archat68 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2017, 11:37   #1716
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post
Congrats to your friend on the new car.

Driving practice in a brand new car is not a good idea IMO. A learner is bound to revv the engine unnecessary in the 1st gear, stall the engine which will put a strain on the new engine. The new engine needs run-in and during run-in period these are strictly a no-no.

It will better to learn driving on a old car and then take his new car to the road.
Thanks!

He is not a learner per se. He has just not driven a car in over a year so just has to regain his driving senses. He is already comfortable again just after three days. Plus his dad knows driving and he will take care of the car till my friend completes his refresher course.

Plus I have also told him of the running in and we have decided that his dad and I will be doing most of the driving till the car hits 2k kms.

I did let him drive for a km on an empty road yesterday, he does drive well but is just over cautious and a bit slow. He knows not to rev the engine excessively or ride the clutch.

Car buying for many people is a spontaneous decision and I think you should just go with what you want. I did suggest a second hand car to him initially but he did not find that sense of occasion or joy looking at an used car, even though it would be his first car. Some people learn best in a new car because they get attached to it and don't want to spoil it.

Anyway, he has already started loving his car and even called me yesterday night to find out how to wash the car properly and also asked me to send him a link to buy the soft but rough looking cloth (Microfibre cloth) and car shampoo.

Also funnily enough even though his car is parked in a garage that is 3feet above road level and stilt parking, he asked me if the spray from the rain would spoil the paint.

Who knows maybe this car might make him love driving and cars more. Maybe he would also want to join Team-BHP !!

Last edited by Shanksta : 3rd November 2017 at 11:55.
Shanksta is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th November 2017, 21:45   #1717
BHPian

Completed 1 yr and 15500km in my Tia XZ P.
1. For 5.85 onroad, overall this is the best car available.
2. A really premium vehicle for the price.
3. Less on pickup but compensated more than enough by good mileage
4. Solid body and build gives a feeling of a very safe car, excellent brakes too complement the fact.
Plan to post a detailed review soon (provided it gets accepted here )
So any suggestions for paint modification jobs? To get a unique standalone color ( my color is sunburst orange)
vinuchel is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th November 2017, 21:47   #1718
BHPian

Hello guys,
Wanted to upgrade my IRVM to auto dimming. Tried contacting AliExpress seller but no one knows which bracket will fit exactly. I will measure it and then again ask. But if anyone knows which bracket fits for the below product.
Check the product details for the bracket list,

http://s.aliexpress.com/zIJ7byQV

The seller suggested bracket 30 but is not sure. Autowings seller told me to go for bracket 1 but his auto dimming IRVM are now not available.

Please suggest.
Old 6th November 2017, 11:17   #1719
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanu2k15 View Post
http://s.aliexpress.com/zIJ7byQV

The seller suggested bracket 30 but is not sure. Autowings seller told me to go for bracket 1 but his auto dimming IRVM are now not available.

Please suggest.
The bracket no is 30. I bought one from Autowings and I purchased with no 1 bracket. Later I had to pay extra and get the no 30 bracket.
Autowings is good seller.
Old 6th November 2017, 17:59   #1720
BHPian

Quote:
The bracket no is 30. I bought one from Autowings and I purchased with no 1 bracket. Later I had to pay extra and get the no 30 bracket.
Autowings is good seller.

Thanks buddy for the response. Autowings does not have auto-dimming IRVM in stock and I will buy this on 11/11 sale.

Did your bracket #30 fit snugly? the other seller have sent me some measurements of the brackets and they are off by 1 cms? I guess all these sellers have the same sizes for their brackets.

Discussing this with the seller of this IRVM here.

Last edited by kanu2k15 : 6th November 2017 at 18:01.
Old 6th November 2017, 18:05   #1721
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanu2k15 View Post

Did your bracket #30 fit snugly? .
It is a bit loose. There is a screw by which you can tighten the fit.
Old 6th November 2017, 18:09   #1722
BHPian

Quote:
It is a bit loose. There is a screw by which you can tighten the fit.
Great. will order one on 11/11 sale. It does not rattle right?

Any improvement on the angle of the IRVM with this as the stock one has a little off angle and point a little to ground. Just able to see around 20 mts behind. if you try to adjust by moving it up then the roof comes in the way.
Old 8th November 2017, 20:50   #1723

Quote:
Originally Posted by A M View Post
Thats a nasty crash there. But good to see that the passenger cabin is intact. I hope the passengers did not get any injuries.

On another note, what are the service costs of Tiago diesel? Can someone throw some light?
Quote:
Originally Posted by karthik_tp View Post
I have taken Gold AMC Plan for the first year. So, there was no charge for me on 15,000 kms Oil change service. For 22,500 kms general service, the cost was around Rs.1500/- but that included wheel alignment, balancing, and rotation charges worth Rs.1200/-(as per bill).

My Tiago is due for 30,000 kms Oil change service in 1500 kms. I will keep you posted once done.
I have completed 30K service for my diesel Tiago. Did the service in Concorde Motors, ECR, Chennai. The bill amount was Rs.5200/-.

Following things were done.
1. Oil Change (4 liters of Mobil A5B5 - 5W30)
2. Oil Filter replacement
3. Cabin Roof Lamp - Earlier, got a call from Tata motors on Roof Lamp replacement - Got this replaced in this service.
4. Windshield wash added
5. Left side Fog lamp outer plastic had minor cracks - Got both the sides replaced under warranty
6. Underbody antiRust treatment (3M) - Free checkup under 3M warranty
7. Brake assembly - Complete checkup - Brake pads are in good condition
8. A/C system - A/C filter cleaning. Now A/C is more effective.
9. Wheel Alignment and Balancing.
10. Gear Shift Mechanism check - It was not much smooth as earlier after 22.5K service. I told them and it is back to how it was before.
11. Other regular check ups for an oil change service.

I was happy with the service and the bill amount
karthik_tp is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 10th November 2017, 18:55   #1724
BHPian

Has anyone tried to install an additional Fascia switch for Tiago? I am thinking of installing DRLs and want a switch for it, so wondering if that can be done or not. If yes then how to open the dashboard to fit the button.
Also do we get additional fascia button from TATA?
Old 14th November 2017, 11:25   #1725
BHPian

I went on a 600 km round trip last weekend in my Tiago. Driving was shared with my wife. This was our first long trip in our Tiago shock is normally city-bound. I wanted to share our experience of driving the car on NH, SH and village roads.

What impressed us:
The suspension was quiet and smooth. Going fast over big potholes just office a muted thump. Never any crashing thud.
The ground clearance is great and a big help in crossing tall humps and other things on village roads.
High speed handling is very stable. The steering wheel feels well-weighted and inspires confidence.
The seats were comfortable during the 6 hour drive.

What we are neutral about:
The performance of the engine was good. It's not exciting but adequate. The power to weight ratio is not in its favour.
The gear shift is only average. It could be smoother and more accurate.
Fuel consumption was about 18 km/l on state highways and village roads with AC used intermittently.

What we found unimpressive:
Engine noise is ever present. It's not offensive but it's not as quiet as it should be.
The fuel filler lid refused to open and after coaxing it open, I figured out that is because of the hinge which is very stiff.

Overall, I would say that it was a good experience and we are happy that we bought the Tiago.

Last edited by Motard_Blr : 14th November 2017 at 11:27.
Motard_Blr is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed