Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th October 2018, 11:13   #2101
BHPian

Re: Tata Tiago : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanjohn123 View Post
When did I say I love the Tiago ? The Tiago is a good car in many departments, but it's let down by the AMT gearbox. Experienced drivers can definitely get over it and drivers just jumping from a manual gearbox car might not have an issue.

But when you've driven other gearboxes or if you're a woman, you'll be disappointed for sure.

So please be clear that Tiago minus AMT is a good car. What's the point of recommending other cars here? I 10 is over a lakh expensive and different segment and torque converter. Santro AMT yes can be comparison. And "woman driver" is a very sexist remark.

Did you not test drive the AMT gearbox before purchasing it? I find this a very biased post
Palio_2005 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th October 2018, 11:18   #2102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhoneycake View Post
Which is why I have swapped to the Tigor’s projector unit. Incredible improvement compared to the stock tiago’s Unit.
Can you share details of the installation? Like cost, place of installation (dealer/outside workshop) efforts for the same etc.

Quote:
? The Tiago is a good car in many departments, but it's let down by the AMT gearbox. Experienced drivers can definitely get over it and drivers just jumping from a manual gearbox car might not have an issue.
Have you driven Celerio/WagonR AMT? How does that compare with your Tiago experience?
Old 30th October 2018, 11:33   #2103
BHPian

There is a reason why car dealers provide test drive. Customers should test all the driving condition before the purchase.
Especially, when this is an AMT, customer should take a more detailed TD as they are trying out a new product.
It does not give a good feeling when you spend close to 6 Lakhs and not happy with it.

I own a Ciaz MT and Tiago AMT. Both cars need different driving styles.
On inclines, Tiago gets confused between 1st & 2nd gear. However, when I am approaching a ramp, few meters before, I remove my foot from accelerator and allow the car to slow down and then gear downshifts to 1 in few seconds. Then I press the gas and car drives comfortably.
But, yes, if the inclined portion of an underpass has a traffic jam, then it is little tough, same is the case with Manual Gearbox as well.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 30th October 2018 at 14:19. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please edit your previous post if re-posting within 30 minutes. Thanks.
Mishrap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2018, 12:07   #2104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by damodar View Post

But it's always better to use the handbrake along with manual mode to take of in a smooth manner on steep inclines, and also to save the clutch from excessive wear. The handbrake switch is linked to the TCU and it disengages the clutch when in use.
The Engineers came home and it looks like they fixed the issue. It was an adjustment with the creep function delay. The car is responding reasonably well now, there seems to be enough torque in first gear too.

I don't know how the problem is related to the creep function but in my short test drive now, I didn't face any issue.

I will test drive more and keep you guys updated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkMar View Post
Have you driven Celerio/WagonR AMT? How does that compare with your Tiago experience?
It's a no-brainer. Compared to the Celerio and Wagon-R, Tiago is way better in every department.
The only issue for me was the gearbox issue and that too seems to have been solved today. It was a creep function delay adjustment.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 30th October 2018 at 14:20. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please use the multi-quote option (QUOTE +) while quoting and responding to multiple posts. Thanks.
stanjohn123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2018, 12:28   #2105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It's a no-brainer. Compared to the Celerio and Wagon-R, Tiago is way better in every department.
The only issue for me was the gearbox issue and that too seems to have been solved today. It was a creep function delay adjustment.
Glad to hear that your issue is resolved. Hope it doesn't recur after few days.

Also My question regarding WagonR/Celerio was more related to the AMT driving experience, whether AMT unit on those cars have same problems as your Tiago.
AkMar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2018, 12:51   #2106
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkMar View Post
Glad to hear that your issue is resolved. Hope it doesn't recur after few days.

Also My question regarding WagonR/Celerio was more related to the AMT driving experience, whether AMT unit on those cars have same problems as your Tiago.
Actually I didn't test drive any car extensively on a hill because it never struck my mind that AMT gearboxes can struggle on that. I knew AMT's were very lazy and slow to switch and they all roll back.

So as far as I drove WagonR and Celerio, I didn't face any issue except the hill roll back which is normal in all AMT's but it seemed much worse in WagonR and Celerio. But you can overcome that by using handbrake.

Tiago is not having that problem now, if you just double tap the accelerator, Tiago is climbing the hill without any problem.

But I need more time to confirm if all is well. I might also test drive my friend's 2018 Wagon R AMT extensively on a hill probably this week. So then it will be clear which is really better.
Old 30th October 2018, 14:05   #2107
BHPian

Quote:
When did I say I love the Tiago ? The Tiago is a good car in many departments, but it's let down by the AMT gearbox. Experienced drivers can definitely get over it and drivers just jumping from a manual gearbox car might not have an issue.

But when you've driven other gearboxes or if you're a woman, you'll be disappointed for sure.
One thing to keep in mind is AMTs are not automatic. They are just a sophisticated manual transmission gearbox. So, one cannot compare it directly with automatics like i10. There are many thread on this and how one can use AMTs.
And lets not assume that women lack good driving skills. An experience driver, be in male or female, will know the limitations of an AMT and adjust their driving profile accordingly.

-UB
UB_007 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th October 2018, 14:06   #2108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhoneycake View Post
Which is why I have swapped to the Tigor’s projector unit. Incredible improvement compared to the stock tiago’s Unit.
Could you please share some more details about the same. Been itching to have this upgrade for the Tiago since the day I got it home.
Old 31st October 2018, 08:43   #2109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Suraj View Post
Could you please share some more details about the same. Been itching to have this upgrade for the Tiago since the day I got it home.
Hi Doc,

In the process of writing a complete report on said topic, bush with work and not finding time to finish it. Will have it out on the weekend. Cheers!
drhoneycake is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2018, 09:37   #2110
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The Engineers came home and it looks like they fixed the issue. It was an adjustment with the creep function delay. The car is responding reasonably well now, there seems to be enough torque in first gear too.

I don't know how the problem is related to the creep function but in my short test drive now, I didn't face any issue.

Can you elaborate on what was the fix?
Old 31st October 2018, 10:11   #2111
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Is it a fix/update to the ECU? Do they flash it to all Tiago AMTs or if/when someone reports a problem, or was your car not configured properly?
Old 31st October 2018, 14:08   #2112
Distinguished - BHPian

Tata Tiago 2019 facelift to get ABS as standard .

Quote:
The Tiago will get some upgrades too. There will be minor changes in the styling of the hatchback with on the exterior and interior

Link
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2018, 19:28   #2113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Is it a fix/update to the ECU? Do they flash it to all Tiago AMTs or if/when someone reports a problem, or was your car not configured properly?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Can you elaborate on what was the fix?
No, it wasn't an ECU update. He just went under the brake pedal column and was doing some adjustment there.

He said there was a delay in the creep function. He adjusted it to kick in earlier, so I guess that explains the throttle response, since my problem was mainly in 1st gear.

But the car is totally more responsive now. It feels like its holding on to gears longer while revving hard too.

This might be that they didn't configure my car properly because I never felt this issue before in the test drive vehicle, which felt more responsive.

But I need to test drive longer to see if this issue will re-appear again or not.
Old 1st November 2018, 11:58   #2114
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
He just went under the brake pedal column and was doing some adjustment there.
Could have been the accelerator pedal sensor in that case. Might have just cleaned the contacts and connected the same.
Old 1st November 2018, 18:23   #2115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Could have been the accelerator pedal sensor in that case. Might have just cleaned the contacts and connected the same.
No, he said he did something to the creep delay timer. Not accelerator pedal sensor.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks