Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 15th October 2020, 10:06   #2656
BHPian

Re: Tata Tiago : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Can anyone / you post a picture of exactly how this coupler is on the back of the headlamp? I don't know of course, but maybe it might be possible to source just the coupler from elsewhere if we can identify the type. Post a picture if possible - from side as well as from the coupler's front - showing the outer casing structure & the pins.
I have it sir, attaching below. The first two pictures are of the coupler that sits in the headlamp leveling motor and the last one is the coupler that sits in the existing wiring harness of the car.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Tiago : Official Review-screenshot_20201015100321__01.jpg  

Tata Tiago : Official Review-screenshot_20201015100325__01.jpg  

Tata Tiago : Official Review-screenshot_20201015100340__01.jpg  

pritanshchandra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2020, 10:32   #2657
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Can anyone / you post a picture of exactly how this coupler is on the back of the headlamp? I don't know of course, but maybe it might be possible to source just the coupler from elsewhere if we can identify the type. Post a picture if possible - from side as well as from the coupler's front - showing the outer casing structure & the pins.
Exactly, even I am curious to know what this coupler is and how it looks. It should be not be impossible to find.

I also have another doubt. They say that the stock headlamp wiring harness of tiago fits into the Tigor dual barrel headlamp. In which case, where will this coupler fit to the harness side and the headlamp side?
sagarpadaki is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th October 2020, 10:49   #2658
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pritanshchandra View Post
I have it sir, attaching below. The first two pictures are of the coupler that sits in the headlamp leveling motor and the last one is the coupler that sits in the existing wiring harness of the car.
Thanks for sharing.

So - the headlamp's connector is a female standard "6189-0130" connector. What you need to do is replace the stock harness connector in the car with the matching 3 pin male connector - standard number "6181-0071" from what I understand.

Here is a sample source on AliExpress.com that you can try. Generally takes about a month to deliver. Simply cut the existing connector in car & attach the new one there.

Link - AliExpress.com Product listing

If you know any industrial / engineering product suppliers for electrical equipment - they'd have it too.

In Pre-Covid era, the same AliExpress item would be available at roughly 4-5 times the price on Amazon.in also. Here is the link for it -

Link - Amazon.in Male-Female pair product listing
(With Covid19 & Ladakh stand-off creating supply chain issues - its currently out of stock.)

If you don't want to go through the hassle - simply cut the connectors on both the sides & use a wire connector strip OR solder the 3 wire pairs to each other on both headlamps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
I also have another doubt. They say that the stock headlamp wiring harness of tiago fits into the Tigor dual barrel headlamp. In which case, where will this coupler fit to the harness side and the headlamp side?
From the Indigo CS (dual barrel) times - the headlamps in these cars have a separate connector in the headlamp assembly to receive the leveling signal. Its separate from the master connector. So in the car harness also, there is a small separate pigtail that has these 3 wires for the motor (UP/DOWN/GRND).

Last edited by Reinhard : 15th October 2020 at 10:50.
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2020, 10:56   #2659
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

If you don't want to go through the hassle - simply cut the connectors on both the sides & use a wire connector strip OR solder the 3 wire pairs to each other on both headlamps.

From the Indigo CS (dual barrel) times - the headlamps in these cars have a separate connector in the headlamp assembly to receive the leveling signal. Its separate from the master connector. So in the car harness also, there is a small separate pigtail that has these 3 wires for the motor (UP/DOWN/GRND).
Ah understood. In my Hyundai i20, there is only one harness that plugs into the headlamp assembly that controls, the main bulb, parking bulbs and levelling. Hence I was not able to understand why the additional harness. Now i understood.

Also, i would rather create a 6 inch long adapter harness from 3 Pin tiago to 2 pin tigor rather than cut the factory wiring harness.

My 2018 manufactured Tiago has the below female connector on harness and male connector on the headlamp side

Tata Tiago : Official Review-ff1.jpg

Tata Tiago : Official Review-ff2.jpg

Tata Tiago : Official Review-mh.jpg

Quote:
Thank you sir. Actually the thing is my car is very new (10 months old) so cutting off the wire will straight away rip off the warranty on my car. I did some research of my own as well and found this connector that will fit in the existing wiring harness in the car. The total setup would look something like this. I got this pic from a Youtuber who has done the same mod. The only problem is AliExpress is shady these days I don't even know if the product will arrive or not. A few friends ordered a couple of things in August and they never arrived.

AliExpress Link
This is still 3 pin to 3 pin harness. How will this work? We need a 3 pin tiago to 2 pin tigor.

Can you share the YouTube video link?

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 15th October 2020 at 11:48. Reason: posts merged
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2020, 11:00   #2660
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for sharing.

So - the headlamp's connector is a female standard "6189-0130" connector.
=====
Its separate from the master connector. So in the car harness also, there is a small separate pigtail that has these 3 wires for the motor (UP/DOWN/GRND).

Thank you sir. Actually the thing is my car is very new (10 months old) so cutting off the wire will straight away rip off the warranty on my car. I did some research of my own as well and found this connector that will fit in the existing wiring harness in the car. The total setup would look something like this. I got this pic from a Youtuber who has done the same mod. The only problem is AliExpress is shady these days I don't even know if the product will arrive or not. A few friends ordered a couple of things in August and they never arrived.

AliExpress Link
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Tiago : Official Review-screenshot_20201015105833__01.jpg  

Tata Tiago : Official Review-screenshot_20201015105839__01.jpg  

pritanshchandra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2020, 11:28   #2661
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you sir. Actually the thing is my car is very new (10 months old) so cutting off the wire will straight away rip off the warranty on my car. I did some research of my own as well and found this connector that will fit in the existing wiring harness in the car. The total setup would look something like this.
Ah this is fantastic then. Great job. (And AliExpress has been working for me. I have got more than 10 items delivered in last 3-4 months without any issues.)
However - haven't you now made a coupler that has a female Tigor spec connector? How will that meet your headlamp's connector? I believe the headlamp side also has a female connector (from what I saw above). Won't you need to use a male connector in this DIY pigtail?
Quote:
This is still 3 pin to 3 pin harness. How will this work? We need a 3 pin tiago to 2 pin tigor.
Tigor / Tiago both are 3 pin harnesses. Any motor would need 3 pins. Up, Down, Ground. What you are calling 2 pins in the picture are actually guide-tunnels. There are 3 pins besides them and they are quite small.

Last edited by Reinhard : 15th October 2020 at 11:30.
Old 15th October 2020, 11:29   #2662
BHPian

Quote:

What is "Two Pin Tigor"? Tigor headlamp has 3 Pin Leveling Motor just like Tiago. Only the couplers are different. The pic you posted above is correct. The Tiago's/Tigor's below XZ+ model come with basic headlamps and this connector but the top end trim has projector setup. However, the headlight couplers are exactly same but the leveling motor couplers are very different between the trims.

Last edited by pritanshchandra : 15th October 2020 at 11:37.
Old 15th October 2020, 11:33   #2663
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
However - haven't you now made a coupler that has a female Tigor spec connector? How will that meet your headlamp's connector? I believe the headlamp side also has a female connector (from what I saw above). Won't you need to use a male connector in this DIY pigtail?

Tigor / Tiago both are 3 pin harnesses. Any motor would need 3 pins. Up, Down, Ground. What you are calling 2 pins in the picture are actually guide-tunnels. There are 3 pins besides them and they are quite small.
Headlamp side has Male connector for the levelling motor. Check my pics above.

I am confused now. If both tiago and tigor use 3 pin connector for levelling motor, then why the tiago harness does not fit the tigor headlamp levelling motor end point?
Old 15th October 2020, 11:37   #2664
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Headlamp side has Male connector for the levelling motor. Check my pics above.
Yes that's what I thought at first too. However - check the above quoted post from @pritanshchandra. According to that - the headlamp side coupler is a female (the first 2 photos). Thats what spooked me. Ideally it shouldn't be. Generally the power-bearing sides in any harness are female to ensure no contact when left hanging. Devices would have males (headlamp in this case).
Quote:
I am confused now. If both tiago and tigor use 3 pin connector for levelling motor, then why the tiago harness does not fit the tigor headlamp levelling motor end point?
The actual physical connector socket is different spec. One is "rectangular" while the other is "oval" with the pin positions also different.

Last edited by Reinhard : 15th October 2020 at 11:38.
Old 15th October 2020, 12:03   #2665
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yes that's what I thought at first too. However - check the above quoted post from @pritanshchandra. According to that - the headlamp side coupler is a female (the first 2 photos). Thats what spooked me. Ideally it shouldn't be. Generally the power-bearing sides in any harness are female to ensure no contact when left hanging. Devices would have males (headlamp in this case).

The actual physical connector socket is different spec. One is "rectangular" while the other is "oval" with the pin positions also different.
That first pic posted by @pritanshchandra is from Indica/ You can see the power steering fluid reservoir in the background.

I guess, the only way is to find a Tigor and see that the headlamp leveler connector on the headlamp assembly looks like
Old 15th October 2020, 12:16   #2666
BHPian

Quote:
That first pic posted by @pritanshchandra is from Indica/ You can see the power steering fluid reservoir in the background.

I guess, the only way is to find a Tigor and see that the headlamp leveler connector on the headlamp assembly looks like
The pic is indeed from Indica but Tiago/Tigor XZ+ has the same coupler in use I've seen it in person that's why drhoneycake was able to pull it out of an Indica and use it in his retrofit. There's nothing complicated, it's just that procuring the coupler indeed is kind of an hassle.

Last edited by pritanshchandra : 15th October 2020 at 12:32.
Old 15th October 2020, 16:10   #2667
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
What is "Two Pin Tigor"? Tigor headlamp has 3 Pin Leveling Motor just like Tiago. Only the couplers are different. The pic you posted above is correct. The Tiago's/Tigor's below XZ+ model come with basic headlamps and this connector but the top end trim has projector setup. However, the headlight couplers are exactly same but the leveling motor couplers are very different between the trims.
I understood . I am now clear that both of them use the same 3 pin configuration but the coupler is different shape. One more question, is the coupler configuration for the tigor headlamp also same as tiago, ie, male pin on the leveler motor on the headlamp side and female socket on the wiring harness side? Could not make it out clearly from the pic that you have posted

@Reinhard, can you provide the connector types for male and female sides and their links on Aliexpress if possible? Thanks

Last edited by sagarpadaki : 15th October 2020 at 16:12.
Old 15th October 2020, 16:55   #2668
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
@Reinhard, can you provide the connector types for male and female sides and their links on Aliexpress if possible? Thanks
Assuming you need the pairs for Tigor spec headlamps, sure. In fact I already shared those above in this post -

Quote:
Thanks for sharing.

So - the headlamp's connector is a female standard "6189-0130" connector. What you need to do is replace the stock harness connector in the car with the matching 3 pin male connector - standard number "6181-0071" from what I understand.

Here is a sample source on AliExpress.com that you can try. Generally takes about a month to deliver. Simply cut the existing connector in car & attach the new one there.

Link - AliExpress.com Product listing
I have mentioned the standard numbers for the female & male connector in the post above. AliExpress link is the same for both. In the "Colour" (AliExpress !) options select the particular male/female connector OR the pair.
Old 15th October 2020, 17:14   #2669
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Assuming you need the pairs for Tigor spec headlamps, sure. In fact I already shared those above in this post -

I have mentioned the standard numbers for the female & male connector in the post above. AliExpress link is the same for both. In the "Colour" (AliExpress !) options select the particular male/female connector OR the pair.
Sorry to ask some silly questions. Need some clarification here. Let us assume that the Tiago couplers as XFemale and XMale and the ones for Tigor as YFemale and YMale.

In stock tiago configuration it looks like [factory harness]XFemale <-> XMale[headlamp leveler]

Now to match with Tigor connectors, the configuration should look like

[tiago factory harness]XFemale<->XMale<->YFemale<->YMale[levelling motor on tigor headlamp]

Here the section marked in bold will be the adapter harness.

The 6189-0130(male) 6181-0071(female) connector in the aliexpress link corresponds to the the YFemale and YMale,ie, the Tigor stock connectors. Correct me if I am wrong here. For the Harness we need a male tiago connector and a female tigor connector.

Hope I am able to explain my doubt.

Last edited by sagarpadaki : 15th October 2020 at 17:18.
Old 15th October 2020, 17:39   #2670
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Let us assume that the Tiago couplers as XFemale and XMale and the ones for Tigor as YFemale and YMale.

In stock tiago configuration it looks like [factory harness]XFemale <-> XMale[headlamp leveler]
Okay, now lets proceed with the above baseline understanding ^^.

Quote:
Now to match with Tigor connectors, the configuration should look like

[tiago factory harness]XFemale<->XMale<->YFemale<->YMale[levelling motor on tigor headlamp]
Here the section marked in bold will be the adapter harness.
This is correct as per above set baseline understanding.
Quote:
The 6189-0130(male) 6181-0071(female) connector in the aliexpress link corresponds to the the YFemale and YMale,ie, the Tigor stock connectors. Correct me if I am wrong here. For the Harness we need a male tiago connector and a female tigor connector.
You need a Tiago Male & a Tigor Female connector, that's correct. 2 Each since there are 2 headlamps.
However you have mentioned the product numbers reversed. To be clear -
6189-0130 = FEMALE TIGOR.
6181-0071 = MALE TIGOR.

So by my understanding if the Tigor headlamp's back panel has the male connector in place - you need to procure 6189-0130 female connector from AliExpress & a Tiago spec male coupler from somewhere (Maybe AliExpress). Do note that the link that I have shared, DOES NOT have the option for your XMALE (Tiago Male) connector.
Reinhard is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed