Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 24th February 2016, 12:19   #256
BHPian

re: Tata Tiago : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by msprabhakar View Post
See meaning of Tiago in Urban Dictionary: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Tiago
No wonder it won votes....hope Tata Tiago does as good
Old 24th February 2016, 12:39   #257
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankverma View Post
No wonder it won votes....hope Tata Tiago does as good
It better perform as a true 'Tiago', else it may need to be renamed again as a 'wet noodle' http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...m=wet%20noodle
msprabhakar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2016, 15:06   #258
Senior - BHPian

The Tata Tiago, earlier named the Zica will be launched in March 2016 and come with both petrol and diesel engines.

http://www.zigwheels.com/news-featur...ch-2016/24764/
Old 24th February 2016, 20:46   #259
BHPian

Bangalore ppl! The Tiago is available for test drive at Concorde Motors, dairy circle! I test drove the petrol, but in rush hour traffic. The driveability in second gear is good. Some vibrations in the gear lever during idling. AC was a chiller,music system a hoot! Get yourselves there!
nijelj is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th February 2016, 17:02   #260
Senior - BHPian

Planning to test drive it this Saturday! Hope it is available.
Old 25th February 2016, 21:57   #261
Distinguished - BHPian

Motoroids reports that the Tiago will come with an AMT in both the petrol and diesel variants.

Quote:
Yet again we have an update regarding the Tiago, the compact car is expected to roll out with Automated Manual transmission (AMT) kit on both petrol and diesel variants. The diesel powered AMT version of the Tiago will be a first in its segment. On production the Tiago AMT will be the third AMT equipped car from the automaker, following the Tata Zest diesel and the GenX Nano. Interestingly, Tata Motors is also geared up to localise the production of the AMT kits in order to meet the rising demands of the GenX Nano AMT. Subsequently the auto-maker shouldn’t find any problems to match the demands.
If the diesel AMT news is true, then that would be a first in segment (as well as above and below) and can give the car the USP it badly needs.

Source: Motoroids

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 25th February 2016 at 22:01.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2016, 22:44   #262
BHPian

There was talk of Bosch e-clutch system for this car. No news subsequently!
Old 26th February 2016, 18:47   #263
BHPian

Tushky posted this image on other thread: TiagoImage
Any idea whether car wears Tiago badge or old Zica badge?
Has anyone test driven Tiago in Pune?

Hope AMT is offered right from first day of launch.
Old 26th February 2016, 18:54   #264
RSR
Senior - BHPian

I'm sorry if I have missed it, but has there been a leak of the variants and the feature spread across variants?

Tata have stated that the car meets BNVSAP norms. This most likely means that a driver airbag is offered as standard even on the base variant. If so, this is very welcome, and I think every new car that will get launched henceforth will come with at least a standard driver airbag even on the base variant.
Old 26th February 2016, 19:38   #265
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nijelj View Post
Bangalore ppl! The Tiago is available for test drive at Concorde Motors, dairy circle! I test drove the petrol, but in rush hour traffic. The driveability in second gear is good. Some vibrations in the gear lever during idling. AC was a chiller,music system a hoot! Get yourselves there!
It is also available at Concorde Motors on Outer Ring Road (Opposite Prestige Tech Park). Saw it today when I got down at the bus stop in front of the showroom. Just did a quick walk around. Definitely looks like a quality car. At first look itself, felt better put together than the Bolt and Zest that it was standing next to. Definitely looks more premium than the segment it is targeted to (<5L).

The car was the Orangish shade one and had the 'Zica' Badge removed (the outline still remains).

Note: There is a chance it could be a shared car between Concorde Diary Circle and ORR . So please give a call before heading to COncorde ORR.

Edit: Tata has started manufacturing the Tiago at the Sanand plant.

Quote:
The company has been manufacturing the new model at its Sanand facility for the past two months. ""So far, 1,800 units have been produced,"" said a source privy to the development."The new hatchback will be produced at our Sanand facility on a new platform and is scheduled to be launched soon. We are gearing up for the launch and are in process of completing all regulatory registrations," said Tata Motors spokesperson.
Source: ETAuto

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 26th February 2016 at 19:46.
Rajeevraj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th February 2016, 03:00   #266
Senior - BHPian

Checked out the Tiago at KHT Domlur in Bangalore. The car is equally impressive in person as in the pictures. The proportions and accents are exciting, and nothing really shouts Tata of old, despite the smiley grille.

Interior parts quality is really high on most of the contact surfaces such as the door pads, upper dash, steering wheel, gear lever and hand brake lever. The indicator and wiper stalks are beautifully damped without the loud plasticky clicks we used to hear in the Indica/go. I especially liked that all of the buttons and switches wouldn't seem out of place in a Polo, including the window switches. The interior door levers in chrome look a bit on the large side, though of high quality.

Boot space is generous for the segment, and the doors are not super-light weight like in most of the budget Marutis. The boot lid feels deceptively light on the way up, but I found that is because of the lift provided by the struts, and it is equally solid.

Seating position is easy to adjust to ones' taste, although taller drivers might find the steering a little far if the seat were adjusted for comfortable feet operation. This is relative though, depending on the leg to height ratio. There is a large amount of steering height adjustment, but unlike more expensive cars the steering doesn't stay where adjusted without the locking mechanism in place.

The driver's seat is very comfortable, with decent lateral support and no uncomfortable bulges (I am 5'10" tall, around 80ish kgs). There is a decent gap between the front seats, so one wouldn't have to bang elbows with the passenger too often - like when belting up. I cannot comment on the height of the dead pedal because I am not used to one.

There is this much of knee-room with the front seat adjusted to my liking - lowest height with the back reclined more than I've observed people usually do:

Tata Tiago : Official Review-image1-1.jpg

This is more than any of the other smallish hatches I have tried in the target segment (please correct me if I am wrong). The seat height adjustment has a good range and doesn't swivel as apparently as it does in some cars, so you don't lose as much under-thigh support at the highest position.

The rear seats are equally comfortable. The shoulder room is sufficient for three at the back, but the seats have been contoured for support and limited at the ends to allow for the space for bottles, the protruding speakers and arm rests in the doors. Three medium (up to 60kg) sized adults would not complain IMHO.

I'm not going to talk about the Harman system, enough has been said already. Lovely.

The lower bits of the dash is the hard scratchy plastic common to this segment, and the bonnet release lever is horrible looking. While the glove box lid opening is damped the switch to operate it does not feel well damped, the lid was ill fitting when closed and locks with a loud click. The rear right door handle (outside) was shaking on this car, and the doors don't shut with the thunk that the Zests do.

The car on display had XZ as the variant name. Z seems to be the letter of choice for the higher variants of several brands, and I like the nomenclature.

Tata really needs the sales staff at their showroom to be more enthusiastic though. The guys on the phone are great, but when you get to the car they stand around like mute spectators. If I didn't know everything about the car from the TBHP review, I would have had to drag out every bit of information I could from the showroom personnel, and too bad if I forgot to ask a relevant question.

Without support from sales, this will spike, then crash and then level out at potentially 3k per month if priced well. With support from sales and the improved A.S.S, this could be a 5k+ per month seller very quickly, because it just is so much better a place to be in as compared to any of the competition in the expected price range.

Last edited by VeluM : 27th February 2016 at 03:01.
VeluM is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 27th February 2016, 15:51   #267
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeluM View Post
Tata really needs the sales staff at their showroom to be more enthusiastic though. The guys on the phone are great, but when you get to the car they stand around like mute spectators. If I didn't know everything about the car from the TBHP review, I would have had to drag out every bit of information I could from the showroom personnel, and too bad if I forgot to ask a relevant question.
+1 to that Velu. I was at KHT Domlur around noon time yesterday and echo similar thoughts on all the points you have mentioned. The lethargic attitude at KHT is no surprise anymore as they own the FIAT dealership too which is located very close by to the Tata dealership.

Last edited by manson : 27th February 2016 at 16:45. Reason: Fixed quote.
Old 29th February 2016, 09:20   #268
BHPian

Test drove the Tiago petrol at Concorde motors-KR road. The diesel version and pricing details are not yet available at the dealership. The same should be available sometime this week as per the showroom executive.
Old 29th February 2016, 12:37   #269

Hi,

We got to test drive the tiago petrol. We had the sales person get the car to our door step for the test drive. My initial observations about the car.

+ves:

1) Good looking car inside out. Steering mounter controls looked flimsy, but the rest of the controls and stalks reeked quality, Hyundai grade I must say

2) There was a short patch of bad road, filled with pot holes, I was impressed with the cars suspension, behaved well.

3) The rear leg room and under thigh support was adequate for my height (I am 5,7")

4) Smooth gearbox, good driving position, light steering and adequate clutch travel (not too long like my figo) means the car is effortless to drive in city. I cannot comment on the high way performance though.

-ves:

1) Very noisy petrol engine, didn't like it one bit

2) My brother in law took first half of the test drive and I was seated at the rear seats, one major grouse I have with the rear seats is that the rear head rest is almost non existent, even for my height I could not rest my head comfortably, this will be a problem for rear passengers in long drives.

3) The steering wheel is light, I drive a figo and although the new figo has EPS unit, I found it to be much better than this. May not be good for spirited driving.

Finally I want to talk about the showroom experience:

Had been to Prerana Motors, BTM, Bangalore. The sales executives were humble and down to earth, but seriously lacked product knowledge. For example, I asked one of the sales executive if the display car was top end, for which he was uncertain and finally answered in the negative, a visitor nearby had to correct him that this was indeed the top end. I mean, as a sales executive the last thing I want is a visitor enlightening me about the product, another example is that another sales executive informed that the difference in price between the petrol and diesel is only 25000!. Its high time that TATA motors pull up therir socks. Of course these little things should not come in the way of buying a good product but its always nice to have a decent showroom experience. For example you step into a Hyundai or a Volkswagen showroom, its a different feeling altogether. You need people with good product knowledge, good communication skills and should look very confident, these things go a long way in creating a brand.

By the way my neighbor was interested in this car (it was he who had asked for the test drive) and booked the car straight away on the road itself! booking amount 5000 refundable.

Off Topic: This is my first post in team bhp. Happy to be a part of this great community and thanks to mods for accepting my membership.
VinDrive is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th February 2016, 13:20   #270
BHPian

Can anybody please let me know how much is the seat height when compared to a Nano. I am trying to see if this could replace the Nano for my father and I am not in a location to check Tiago in person)

Most Viewed