Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th October 2020, 13:53   #2686
BHPian

Re: Tata Tiago : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefpk View Post
Wait, what?

This was there before in the XZ+ variant. It is still there and will be there as long as the car is on sale. This is nothing new.
I can confirm this. I have a bs6 xz+ model bought in July 2020 and it has automatic climate control. However, the economy button in the pic is missing from my center console.
Old 20th October 2020, 14:15   #2687
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akash.D View Post
I can confirm this. I have a bs6 xz+ model bought in July 2020 and it has automatic climate control. However, the economy button in the pic is missing from my center console.
Since you have posted here, how about you update a bit about your experience with the Tiago.
chiefpk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2020, 16:56   #2688
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RK79 View Post
I would say Tiago has downgraded from a Mercedez Benz pull type lock (if that is the function of that lever in MB car's door) to a regular sedan type.
Actually I feel quite amused after witnessing all the flap about a simple locking mechanism.
Even the 2020 Rolls Royce Ghost has a pull - type locking mechanism!
Have the discreet "up-pah class" Rolls owners been crying themselves hoarse or beating their collective heads on the sheepskin carpets?

Most engineering decisions are a trade - off between functionality, performance and cost and all OEM's will sign off a part for production if it meets these three primary requirements.

And, frankly speaking apart from aesthetics, (which is subjective), what is the superiority in performance between an inside door opening lever integrated lock knob and a separate "push-pull" lock knob?
Heck, how many times, recently, have you actually physically locked a car? It auto locks itself when you start to drive and unlocks when you switch off anyways, and then you use the plipper on the remote to lock it down. It would be interesting to do a straw poll on how many Tiago sales have been lost or gained because of the infamous lock knob

I'm sure Tata has changed the locking mechanism because of an internal cost savings programme, as they have further commonised parts between their various models.
That it has achieved the dual purpose of improving the aesthetics is a bonus and now the anti - "pull-type-lock-knob" brigade - can finally sleep in peace.

Hallelujah!
arjab is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 20th October 2020, 19:18   #2689
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjab View Post
It would be interesting to do a straw poll on how many Tiago sales have been lost or gained because of the infamous lock knob
I know couple of my friends who feels uncomfortable with these lock knobs in their Tiago. In this era of aesthetics and blinks, this old fashioned knobs were sour at lest in mind of certain owners. It is good that Tata decided to change this finally(after selling more than 2.5L Tiagos).
K_Drive is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2020, 21:14   #2690
OSH
BHPian

Here are some videos showing the re-designed door cards and lock/unlock tabs.

See from 5.33 onwards

See from 6.20 onwards

See from 3.17 onwards

Last edited by OSH : 22nd October 2020 at 21:15.
OSH is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2020, 16:29   #2691
BHPian

Had a tyre upgrade query for my Tiago XZA+ 2019 (with projector headlamps ). It is far from reaching a need to upgrade the tyres, but for future sake, I was wondering what size of tyre will be an acceptable upgrade from 175/60 R15.

I was considering 185/60 R15, because the JTP variant already did come with it, so may not be incompatible. Primarily looking from a handling perspective. I understand that a wider tyre will cause a drop in the fuel economy.

I was wondering what kind of issues this can cause.

• Should I expect noticeable enough handling improvements?
  • Would this require returning of the suspension and wheel alignment configurations?
  • Because the rim size remains the same, I assume I could keep the same alloys?
  • The spare wheel is 175/65 R14, so will it continue to be usable for short distances at least?
Old 23rd October 2020, 17:41   #2692
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crodjer View Post
  • Should I expect noticeable enough handling improvements?
  • Would this require returning of the suspension and wheel alignment configurations?
  • Because the rim size remains the same, I assume I could keep the same alloys?
  • The spare wheel is 175/65 R14, so will it continue to be usable for short distances at least?
Since I own a mid 2018 XZA(the then top end), let me pitch in. You can definitely go ahead with 185/60 R15 if this was on JTP as well. However, with the weight of Tiago and the power it generates, stock size is pretty good. You can change to a better brand with same spec to get a silent/smooth ride.

Regarding your queries -
: Tiago is a good handler in its stock form. Not much gain here but you will definitely get more ground clearance.
:I don't think any change in suspension required. Check with TASS regarding wheel alignment if they do something different for JTP.
: Definitely.
: Definitely.
abhi_tjet is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2020, 19:26   #2693
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crodjer View Post
I was wondering what size of tyre will be an acceptable upgrade from 175/60 R15.I was considering 185/60 R15, because the JTP variant already did come with it, so may not be incompatible.
175/60R15 is the stock tire size for Ignis as well - check the details on the correct upsize for this tire size here > (Maruti Ignis : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread)

The correct upsize would be 195/60R15
vsrivatsa is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2020, 15:01   #2694
BHPian

Completed 4 happy years with this car (XZ Petrol). 4th year service costed me 9.9k including replacement of the broken central AC Vent (due to use of mobile holder) and rear boot hydraulics which gave up. Still feels butter smooth and comfy on the road as day 1.

Will need to replace the battery soon is what they tell me.

I am at 27k kilometers, Mostly used for commute, Semi annual drives to Kerala from Bangalore.
madhavgpai is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th October 2020, 16:51   #2695
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
175/60R15 is the stock tire size for Ignis as well

The correct upsize would be 195/60R15
This is incorrect. The aspect ratio/profile being the same (60) for a width increase of 20mm, the difference in circumference is 4% which is not recommended. The upsize if you want a 195 would be 195/55R15 which is a difference of 0.76%.

I would suggest a better tyre of the same OE size for improvement in handling. Continentals or Michelins.
discoverwild is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th October 2020, 17:05   #2696
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by discoverwild View Post
This is incorrect. The aspect ratio/profile being the same (60) for a width increase of 20mm, the difference in circumference is 4% which is not recommended. The upsize if you want a 195 would be 195/55R15 which is a difference of 0.76%..
My bad - you are correct - the Ignis sizing is 175/65R15....so the link I shared had the correct details about Ignis but I somehow mapped it wrongly as same for Tiago.
vsrivatsa is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2020, 08:55   #2697
BHPian

Has anyone been experiencing problems with the engine mount ?

Recently I heard a strange noise while idling at traffic signals. It sounded as though the silencer was vibrating underneath. This noise was intermittent and I could only notice it sometimes. I got the 30K service done with oil change which was due. The service advisor told me that the engine mount might have cracked and needs replacement.

Can anyone please tell me if this could be true ?
Old 13th November 2020, 19:23   #2698
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akash.D View Post
I have a bs6 xz+ model bought in July 2020 and it has automatic climate control.
Planning to purchase the same; how has your experience been???

And I have a doubt: Tiago got a small refresh sometime last month, with the changed locks. Have they hit the stores? Cause the dealer tells me that they are not out yet. Don't have anything against the old locks, but I want to get the car as close to the manufacture date as possible.

Last edited by gusfring : 13th November 2020 at 19:34.
Old 13th November 2020, 20:36   #2699
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gusfring View Post
Planning to purchase the same; how has your experience been?
The car is fantastic. It is fully feature loaded at this price point and is the safest car in the category. The car has a good balance between fuel economy and performance. The build quality is excellent and ride is plush. In short, you won't complain.

The only let down is the service experience. People at the service centre has an indifferent attitude which may be different at your location. So please check with your nearby service centre.

As far as new features are concerned, all I know is that the new ones will have door lock on the unlock lever in place of the old pull type ones in my car. I hardly use those as the car locks/unlocks automatically in driving/halting and I use the flip key for all other purposes.

My suggestion would be to check the Altroz variant within the same budget. It is more modern and spacious albeit with the same petrol motor.
Akash.D is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th November 2020, 20:59   #2700
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjab View Post
Actually I feel quite amused after witnessing all the flap about a simple locking mechanism.
Even the 2020 Rolls Royce Ghost has a pull - type locking mechanism!

Hallelujah!
I totally agree with you. Nano has a similar mechanism and I prefer it to the other cars that we have.

In fact I prefer this type because you can see if the door is locked easily. Try checking if the door lock inside moved when you're parking in the hot sun and going out for some work. It is a pain on most cars. Yes, you can check by pulling the handle but you'd have to do that for all 4 doors. Here you can see the knob positions and get the information easily.

Even the Indica had door locks that were like those of the supposedly modern cars. That was way back in 2000. It is not that Tata can't make them.

Why they didn't make them is for them to decide. But I prefer these knobs, and maybe it is just me. Practicality should not be sacrificed.

Last edited by Cessna182 : 13th November 2020 at 21:02.
Cessna182 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks