Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 23rd September 2021, 13:59   #2821
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Tiago : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanolover View Post
Having owned both the Tiago and an ignis I can give my 2 cents- ...

Tiago has more style, infinitely better build,way better steering,safety rating and better highway dynamics. But the engine is unrefined,poor fuel efficiency, too jerky to drive in town,cramped for tall drivers and smaller on inside compared to wagon r. Also the ac is weaker than the wagon r for sure.

If it's a manual ,then Tiago maybe a better choice for the younger image conscious ones as it has more style and in general is a much more youthful car with better features. Wagon r is more of a middle aged persons car in my opinion ( no offence anyone!).

Magnite no idea,so no comments but thumb rule might be poorer resale value and have not seen any review of the 1.0NA engine .
Yes, practicality wise Wagon R should win hands down - because of Maruti service network and excellent resale value.

Tiago looks a lot good, is more safer vehicle.

My son is 6'.1", I am 5'.8" We both should be able to sit behind one another.
When I suggested to take a look at Wagon R, my children just wrinkled their noses.

By the way, what is the average fuel efficiency of the Tiago?
simplyself is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2021, 15:53   #2822
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyself View Post
Yes, practicality wise Wagon R should win hands down - because of Maruti service network and excellent resale value.

Tiago looks a lot good, is more safer vehicle.

My son is 6'.1", I am 5'.8" We both should be able to sit behind one another.
When I suggested to take a look at Wagon R, my children just wrinkled their noses.

By the way, what is the average fuel efficiency of the Tiago?
My tiago gave me 12 km/l at best and 9.3 k/l at worst in full time ac. ( Automatic). No great shakes but was least bothered about the mileage.

As a middle ground I would suggest grand i10 nios as it has mileage ,power, space,reliability,resale and the image is ok. So a happy compromise for all in the faily.

Last edited by Nanolover : 23rd September 2021 at 15:54.
Nanolover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2021, 16:50   #2823
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanolover View Post
My tiago gave me 12 km/l at best and 9.3 k/l at worst in full time ac. ( Automatic). No great shakes but was least bothered about the mileage.
That's too low. Is that 100% city driving?

My Tiago XZA+ has given about 14 km/l on average (tankful to tankful) in 60:40 highway-city conditions. That too within total running of less than 2k KM. I'm expecting further improvement once I clock some decent mileage.

Maybe other members can chip in here based on some long term ownership experience?
Old 23rd September 2021, 19:15   #2824
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_nemesis View Post
That's too low. Is that 100% city driving?

My Tiago XZA+ has given about 14 km/l on average (tankful to tankful) in 60:40 highway-city conditions. That too within total running of less than 2k KM. I'm expecting further improvement once I clock some decent mileage.

Maybe other members can chip in here based on some long term ownership experience?
It was 60: 40 city highway mix,but to be fair the moment it's on highway I go into sports mode and then almost at 100+. Maybe it has improved for bs6 cars but by highway I mean kerala highways where average speeds are much lesser due to congestion.
Old 26th September 2021, 18:32   #2825
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esu Junior View Post
Hi Guys,
Can anyone suggest the max width of 14" alloys which i can go for without scrapping the rear fender in tiago XT variant under full load? 14"OE alloy width is 5j.I'm finding it tough to get after market alloys with width less than 6j in 14".

Thanks in advance.
Did you manage to find one? I am looking to replace my stock alloys on a 2016 Tiago.

I liked the 7017 plati in 16" on your Brezza and was wondering if it came in a 14" variant.
Old 4th October 2021, 19:47   #2826
BRV
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRV View Post
Its been 3.5 years of ownership of Tiago, without post purchase hassles.

Recently, there is an issue with gear knob. It vibrates in Neutral (not an issue) however, While driving the car in third gear, take the foot off the accelerator, gear rod vibrates making sound. This happens only in third gear, not in any other gear.

MFG year - 2017 Dec
Current ODO - 47000
Variant - Diesel XZ
Clutch assembly changed @ 40000kms
Update / Resolution:
Went for regular service and highlighted the issue. Gear Shifter Housing and top cover replaced and that resolved the issue. No more vibrations and noise from gear stick (replaced the said items under extended warranty)
Old 9th October 2021, 10:36   #2827

I have changed engine oil of my Tiago XZ Petrol MT 2016 with Petronas Synthium Fully Synthetic 5w30 in July and I experienced low NVH for just 2 months. Now the engine noice is again as earlier. I have had great experience with Wurth 5w30 Fully synthetic though. It gets considerably underpowered with ac on. Anyone has same experience with synthetic oils?
Old 19th October 2021, 22:56   #2828
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_Drive View Post
Hi guys,
Tiago a new age Tata car launched in 2016 has successfully completed 5yrs! Is it aging well? Are there any major rattling, rusting or any quality issues? Requesting initial owners to share feedback.
4 years completed and counting now. Rusting - nothing of that sort. Mine is a Berry Red XZ Petrol, top end during the time. Mechanically, the car has been fine, something not many believed about Tata cars when I purchased my Tiago all those years back.

Only issue is rattling and plastics. The reason for that, I suspect, is that one time, the dashboard was dismantled to try and fix a minor rattle I had from the MID area (only in a specific rpm band), I mentioned the same issue couple of times and each time upon taking the vehicle back from service, I was assured that it was gone, but newsflash - it wasn't. Finally, after mentioning it constantly they agreed to take apart the dashboard and check. That was the single biggest mistake I've done in my Tiago's entire ownership period and I regret it every day. Taking apart the dashboard caused many more rattles to occur some of which exist to this day, of which, one is a major one. It is a thud sound which comes from somewhere inside the dash, I believe some clip of the dashboard might have been broken when they assembled it back. This thud sound is a very annoying. I mentioned that some rattles still exist in my car, around 3-4, all of them except this thud sound, I've learnt to live with. This is annoying as it cannot be drowned out by the really nice music system and also because it comes when the car is going through broken/bad roads (not uncommon in Kerala), I can feel the dashboard vibrating along with the aforementioned thud sound (multiple continuous thud sounds as long as I'm on a bad road) and sort of moving up and down (I haven't seen it actually moving up and down but the vibration and sound makes me feel that it is). If there is any fellow BHPian who experienced the same thud sound from the dashboard and have found a fix, I would kindly request you to find your way into my PMs or quote this reply. It would be a HUGE help if you can help me fix this particular annoying sound and I would be very grateful.

Now the second thing I mentioned - plastics. They are of a good quality on the top of the dashboard with a very nice soft finish, but some plastic panels are not as good, especially the ones in the door pads seem to be not as good, especially the gloss black part on the door handle. They make squeaky sounds when I press them, same with the panel(s) near the power window console. Again, something I've learnt to live with, it is almost a non-issue. Another issue was a certain plastic panel, upon which the parcel tray rests, coming apart. I would like to personally meet the designer at Tata who thought designing a load (parcel tray) to rest in the opposite direction of how the clips in a panel would be fixed, would be a great idea. Again, it was fixed, not because I use the parcel tray to store a lot of stuff but because it is a truly ugly sight when that plastic panel hangs around loosely. Then there is the parcel tray strings, one of which was broken, but it is a non-issue because I have a tissue box, amongst some very few other light things (light, to avoid the aforementioned plastic panel coming off again), and I don't want the parcel tray to lift up with the tailgate. Then there is the issue of the AC vent adjustor breaking off. Three out of four vent adjustors have attained independence from my Raj. All thanks to some Einstein at Tata design dept who picked form over function there. A Polo type setup would have meant chances of it breaking would be very less but no, design FTW!!!

All of this brings me to a big point that I would like to make to any prospective car buyer. Never, ever, let the A.S.S dismantle any part of your interiors, atleast avoid dismantling parts that are large, like the dashboard which may have many clips which could be broken (perhaps inadvertently) by them upon re-assembly. You will never EVER get back the factory finish of the car if you let them dismantle it. If there is one rattle that's annoying you, which is coming from somewhere near the dashboard and you cannot resist the itch to tell the service centre to take it apart and fix it, just visualise this scenario - imagine that rattle in your mind, now imagine the same (or amplified) type of rattle coming from multiple points. Would you be okay with that? The thought of that alone will make you avoid any major work in the interior.

Now my sample space is my own experience and experiences of people I know; there may be service centres that can do their work without breaking panel clips and causing more rattles, but from my ownership experience of various cars (of different brands as well), you will never get the factory finish back. So if you can, avoid it.

P.s. while I was typing up an essay about my gripes, it completely flew past my head that you also asked if it was ageing well, I assume that means a lot more things than just plastics and rattling. So mechanically, as I mentioned, the car has been very reliable. Only "mechanical" issue I had was a slight squeaky sound when I move the gear towards the right end, doesn't matter which gear I end up eventually. It was fixed. Apart from that, touch wood, no issues so far. Engine has been Toyota level reliable. Not a single instance of any break downs or weird stuff happening. Mileage has been decent. I knew what I was getting into when I went for a much heavier car compared to the options at the time - Swift, Celerio etc. I get around 13-14 in the city. And in 60-40 highway-city usage (you won't see much of 4/6 lane high ways in my state, or atleast my district, very rare), I get around 18-19 (tank to tank method). One of the fog lamps recently died on me, but I have relegated fixing that to next year, it is not that important.

Last edited by SaiSW : 19th October 2021 at 23:24.
SaiSW is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th October 2021, 23:33   #2829
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaiSW View Post
If there is any fellow BHPian who experienced the same thud sound from the dashboard and have found a fix, I would kindly request you to find your way into my PMs or quote this reply. It would be a HUGE help if you can help me fix this particular annoying sound and I would be very grateful.
I'm an owner of an XZ Tiago (P) that I purchased in May 2016 when it launched.

The car has been fabulous barring the below :

1. Rattling of plastics - Dashboard, door etc. There is just no solution to it. The newer gen models seem to not have this issue.

2. Gear knob vibration - Vibrates when cold and during half clutch scenarios.

Else the engine has been very reliable with no issues (major or minor).

I feel the Tiago to be really comfortable and spacious even compared to the New age CSUV's that make the cabin feel claustrophobic with the high and upfront dashboards.
kesh4munni is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th October 2021, 23:42   #2830
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kesh4munni View Post
I'm an owner of an XZ Tiago (P) that I purchased in May 2016 when it launched.

I feel the Tiago to be really comfortable and spacious even compared to the New age CSUV's that make the cabin feel claustrophobic with the high and upfront dashboards.
Thank you for the reply. Yes, I believe the same as you do. Apart from the plastics issue, the car is fantastic, ride quality is plush, handling is nice, engine is more than enough for my use case, extremely good build quality (4 stars for a reason). Apart from the issues I mentioned in my previous reply, another gripe was that I didn't spend that little bit extra and go for the diesel. A small 1.0 diesel would have certainly changed the size of the hole in the wallet, now that we are seemingly in a free-fall with respect to fuel prices.
Also, are you facing the same issue? The thud sounds from the dashboard?

Last edited by SaiSW : 19th October 2021 at 23:45.
SaiSW is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th October 2021, 09:30   #2831
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaiSW View Post
Thank you for the reply. Yes, I believe the same as you do. Apart from the plastics issue, the car is fantastic, ride quality is plush, handling is nice, engine is more than enough for my use case, extremely good build quality (4 stars for a reason). Apart from the issues I mentioned in my previous reply, another gripe was that I didn't spend that little bit extra and go for the diesel. A small 1.0 diesel would have certainly changed the size of the hole in the wallet, now that we are seemingly in a free-fall with respect to fuel prices.
Also, are you facing the same issue? The thud sounds from the dashboard?
I don't face the thud issue but it does rattle over broken roads and bad patches. However, that stops as soon as the road gets smooth. I've learnt to live with it. The service centre tried some "packing" by adding some sort of damping material but nothing has helped so far.
kesh4munni is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2021, 18:45   #2832
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post

1) AMT Fault warning light came up randomly once. Restarted the car problem didn't reproduce.
I saw that the amber "AMT Fault" warning light was on in one of my trips. It seems to have resolved now, but now I am worried how big of a concern is this. Should I get it checked up? Has anyone else observed this?

Name:  signal20211022183515_002.jpeg
Views: 1460
Size:  55.3 KB

The car (Jan 2020 Registration) was serviced recently (August 2021) and also has only done only 5k (thanks to WFH), so I don't suspect there could be any mechanical issues. I have a very nice underground covered parking, so I don't think there can be a damage due to that.

I observe that the fluid in the box labeled Magneti Marelli (the AMT manufacturer) is a bit below Max (75-80%) I think.
Name:  signal20211022183515_001.jpeg
Views: 1466
Size:  60.6 KB
Name:  signal20211022183536_001.jpeg
Views: 1472
Size:  66.4 KB
Old 23rd October 2021, 22:30   #2833
BHPian

We sat in Tiago last weekend to get a feel and I am not sure which variant it was (should have checked) and as expected we could not see the bonnet fully. But can the variant with seat height adjustment get a view of bonnet for the driver or it will still not be visible even If we increase seat height to fullest?
Old 27th October 2021, 14:00   #2834
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raksrules View Post
We sat in Tiago last weekend to get a feel and I am not sure which variant it was (should have checked) and as expected we could not see the bonnet fully. But can the variant with seat height adjustment get a view of bonnet for the driver or it will still not be visible even If we increase seat height to fullest?
While I'm personally not much concerned about bonnet visibility, I checked it out today with seat height set at the maximum possible. With my head almost touching the roof liner, I could not see the bonnet.
I am 5'8, and for anyone taller it won't even be possible to set the seat at maximum height without touching the roof liner.
For me, the view was blocked by the water channel assembly.
Tata Tiago : Official Review-tiago-bonnet.png
red_nemesis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2021, 16:23   #2835
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crodjer View Post
I saw that the amber "AMT Fault" warning light was on in one of my trips. It seems to have resolved now, but now I am worried how big of a concern is this. Should I get it checked up? Has anyone else observed this?
Mine is 2018 Jan Car XZA done 10000kms till now. I, too, have seen this light coming up twice in the past 3 months. However, it went off after some time. I checked the manual and saw it was "AMT Fault" warning. The car was functioning properly, so I decided to let it go and thought it was just a one off thing. After that it hasn't popped up still.

Let me know if you find anything more.
DieselAnna is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed