Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 30th October 2021, 16:29   #2836
BHPian

Re: Tata Tiago : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselAnna View Post
Mine is 2018 Jan Car XZA done 10000kms till now. I, too, have seen this light coming up twice in the past 3 months. However, it went off after some time. I checked the manual and saw it was "AMT Fault" warning. The car was functioning properly, so I decided to let it go and thought it was just a one off thing. After that it hasn't popped up still.

Let me know if you find anything more.
I got mine checked up next day and although the light was no longer on, they did identify and clear the error code via OBD. They did some software updates. It may be just a cognitive bias, but I felt the response from the car to be much better afteward.

And additionally, I also got the infotainment system updated, which fixed all the lag issues I was facing with Android Auto. Would recommend that to anyone who is facing issues with Android Auto. Also the new home interface and clock faces are also nice.

They didn't charge anything at all for this, so would recommend getting it looked at once if you have seen the AMT Fault light. Given that the gear box is completely controlled by the computer, with no way to manually slot gears in.

Last edited by crodjer : 30th October 2021 at 16:31.
Old 4th November 2021, 08:42   #2837
BHPian

How easy/difficult it is to claim warranty on OEM tyre?

Yesterday, I hit a pothole on the road, nothing unusual. I was going at about 70-80 kmph on the highway. However, within few meters, I realized the tyre (front right) had gone flat. Quickly found a safe spot on the side of the road, put on hazard lights and warning signs and got on with replacing it with stepney.

Checking the tyre showed 2 cuts on the sidewall, one at the center and one closer to the rim. Mine is Tiago XZA+, and the tyres are Bridgestone B250 Series 175/60 R15. Any ideas on whether I can take a shot at claiming warranty??

The tyres have run only 4k kms since I bought the vehicle in August. I do not wish to retain this tyre, will replace with a new one as the other 3 also haven't clocked much mileage.

Last edited by red_nemesis : 4th November 2021 at 08:57.
Old 4th November 2021, 19:56   #2838
FHW
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_nemesis View Post
One of my colleagues who owns a Tiago recently encountered with the same.

One tyre tore on the side wall by a nail (as far as I remember) and as per him he paid the 50% amount for replacement.
FHW is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2021, 20:25   #2839
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FHW View Post
One of my colleagues who owns a Tiago recently encountered with the same.

One tyre tore on the side wall by a nail (as far as I remember) and as per him he paid the 50% amount for replacement.
Any idea how much he had run on his that tyre?
Also, was it under warranty or insurance??

In case of warranty, you have to pay proportionate to your tyre wear. Will check with TASS on monday and share further updates on this.
Old 4th November 2021, 20:40   #2840
FHW
BHPian

Just confirmed from him.

Car 7 Month old was driven some 3800km.

He had changed the tyre from Apollo. Was informed that replacement costs about Rs4600/- but require only Rs2000/- to pay.

He was also asked to get some certificate (or form) from the Tata dealership.
FHW is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2021, 11:32   #2841
BHPian

Quote:
Update:

Visited TASS yesterday, they gave me a letter which I took to the nearest Bridgestone dealership. The dealership has file the warranty claim in its system. They seem to have an online portal to raise claim requests.
The person opened the form in his mobile phone, took photographs of the damaged tyre, measured the tyre wear, and marked the tyre with the claim request number using a whitener. I brought back the tyre with me.

I was told that a Bridgestone engineer will inspect this request and approve/reject based on their evaluation within next 2-3 days. I should be getting a SMS notification of the same.
Old 15th November 2021, 02:29   #2842
BHPian

Budget buyers looking for a car @5 lakh ex-showroom, here's a quick comparison of the base Celerio with the Tiago. The Tiago is a 4-star safety rated car while the Celerio is based on Maruti's heartect platform (which hasn't fared well)

If you're considering the Tiago as your next car, you're going in the right direction! What's truly baffling is that the Celerio Vxi 1.0 costs the same as the Wagon-R Vxi 1.2.
Hope this helps some of you decide on your purchase.
@mods: I've made a similar post in the Celerio thread, please remove this post if deemed unnecessary.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Tiago : Official Review-20211115_015133.jpg  

John316_WRC is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th November 2021, 12:21   #2843
BHPian

Middle of the drive in ghats the air con stopped working on Sunday.
Took tiago to phoenix motors yesterday to get an official diagnosis. The technician told me today that a pipe near the air intake rubbed with each other and has developed a leak. The nitrogen was leaking like a pichkari
Awaiting the part delivery. ETA of 3-4 days.

This is the second time something has broken/developed a leak due to a faulty design. The first one was a leakage near high pressure fuel pump.
Old 20th November 2021, 14:21   #2844
Team-BHP Support

A friend’s Tiago has minor rusting in the door panels because the hinge assy is scratching it.

Tata Tiago : Official Review-011c77b19ae4440aa5b398c6d1d83d32.jpeg

Tata Tiago : Official Review-85b87ff18773438aad285ddfbb70c607.jpeg

Tiago owners, do check this.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2021, 14:31   #2845
BHPian

folks,

I got a Tiago XZA+ AMT last week. I've been facing a weird problem while starting the car.

Here is what I do:
- Turn the key into ACC mode & then to ON mode
- Change gear from A to N (I park in A)
- Wait for about 5-10s
- Crank the car

When I'm cold starting, the car does NOT crank, but the I hear a strong tuck tuck sound.
If I put my left foot on the brake & lightly add a throttle input, the car starts up.

When the car has run a bit (i.e. engine is warm-ish), it cranks without fuss. For a cold engine, I've sometimes had luck if I wait for ~20s in ON mode before cranking.

Am I doing something wrong or missing something? Have other owners (AMT or otherwise) faced similar issues? How long should I wait in ON mode before I crank the car?
Old 24th November 2021, 15:21   #2846
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDiSLover View Post
How long should I wait in ON mode before I crank the car?
First of all - congratulations on the new car!

So, what happens if you do wait in ignition-on mode for about 2-5 seconds, and then crank the car in case of a cold start? Is it making any difference?
Old 24th November 2021, 15:25   #2847
BHPian

Congrats on your purchase.

Quote:
Here is what I do:
- Turn the key into ACC mode & then to ON mode
- Change gear from A to N (I park in A)
- Wait for about 5-10s
- Crank the car

Am I doing something wrong or missing something?
When you are shifting from A to N, make sure key position is in ON and then you hold the brake pedal pressed down while shifting. All the gear shifts MUST be done with the brake pedal pressed down (except shifting from A to M, while driving). Before you crank, make sure the MID shows that you are in N. I understand this is pretty basic, but reiterating just in case you are doing it differently.

Quote:
How long should I wait in ON mode before I crank the car?
I think waiting 5 secs is more than good enough. I've even cranked up the car in a single key motion without any wait, haven't faced any issue. But I do generally wait 2-3 secs just to give the fuel pump some time.

Quote:
When I'm cold starting, the car does NOT crank, but the I hear a strong tuck tuck sound.
If I put my left foot on the brake & lightly add a throttle input, the car starts up.

When the car has run a bit (i.e. engine is warm-ish), it cranks without fuss. For a cold engine, I've sometimes had luck if I wait for ~20s in ON mode before cranking.
Does the car run fine once it cranks up? Or do you feel anything different like intermittent loss of power, jerks, etc.? Asking this because in that case it might be a fuel supply issue because of leaking/choked fuel lines or faulty fuel pump.

If you are following the earlier mentioned steps properly and it still doesn't solve the problem, I'd suggest you reach out to TASS and get it resolved from them.
Old 24th November 2021, 16:15   #2848
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
First of all - congratulations on the new car!

So, what happens if you do wait in ignition-on mode for about 2-5 seconds, and then crank the car in case of a cold start? Is it making any difference?
Thank you!

This is what I usually do (in my previous cars), but did not work with this. Attaching a video to show what happens:

Quote:
Congrats on your purchase.
When you are shifting from A to N, make sure key position is in ON and then you hold the brake pedal pressed down while shifting. ...you are doing it differently.
Thank you Red_nemesis!
Yes, I realized that mistake early on. When this was not done correctly, the car used to beep. But, the problem I'm facing right now is after following these steps and the car is in N with brake pressed. Please see the above video for details.

Quote:
I think waiting 5 secs is more than good enough....wait 2-3 secs just to give the fuel pump some time.
That was my thought process too. Wonder what happened.

Quote:
Does the car run fine once it cranks up? ...reach out to TASS and get it resolved from them.
The car runs completely fine once started. Seeing that the car cranked fine after a longer wait in ON mode made me feel the 2-5s wasn't enough. I'm currently experimenting with different timings to see if I can find a consistent minimum time.

I feel the root cause is that the engine isn't getting enough fuel, but I have no formal training to back up this claim :stuipid

Last edited by DDiSLover : 24th November 2021 at 16:15. Reason: removed rouge text
DDiSLover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2021, 16:44   #2849
BHPian

Quote:
http://Youtu.be/W54qb1ocE7s

Please see the above video for details.
That is quite a loud clicking noise. I notice that the MID light flickers with every click, which means a high amount of current is being drawn by some other component. Considering how the issue is only with cranking and not with normal running, this might an issue with the starter system. It could be anything as simple as low battery voltage, or a relay/fuse gone bad, or the starter or some part of it gone bad.

How many KMs have you driven till now??

Quote:
Seeing that the car cranked fine after a longer wait in ON mode made me feel the 2-5s wasn't enough. I'm currently experimenting with different timings to see if I can find a consistent minimum time.
I'd strongly recommend AGAINST doing this. You'll just end up draining your battery, with no viable permanent solution. Worst case, you might need to jump start.

If you haven't driven much so far, I'd suggest take it for a good spin. Not sure what will be enough but maybe around 25-30 KMs on highway. That should charge up the battery. Then try it out. If that doesn't solve it, drive straight to the service center and get it inspected.
red_nemesis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2021, 17:02   #2850
BHPian

Quote:
That is quite a loud clicking noise. I notice that the MID light flickers with every click,
Indeed. However, the light flickering is the cabin light which goes off during cranking. I took this video in a hurry, when one of the doors was open, keeping the cabin light on.

I thought about the battery issue, but none of the other electricals seem to indicate any issue with power delivery at all. Therefore, I'm confused.

Quote:
How many KMs have you driven till now??.... Then try it out. If that doesn't solve it, drive straight to the service center and get it inspected.
I've driven about 300kms so far, been using the car almost every day for a week. Each day's drive have been mixed runs of 20-60 minutes.
When the engine is warm (say when I want to start my return journey after a brief halt at the destination), it cranks up easily in a few seconds.

Man. I'm confused.

When I spoke to the service advisor, he asked me to keep the car on Ignition ON mode for a little while longer before cranking, which led me to try the 20+s pause before cranking. It did work like a charm, but I'm not sure waiting for 20s is warranted for a brand new car.

One potential issue with going to the TASS is that the engine will be warm, and this issue wont be easily reproducible for inspection. Guess I will need to leave the car at the service center for a dew hours or days.

Last edited by DDiSLover : 24th November 2021 at 17:03. Reason: added more details

Most Viewed