Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th April 2016, 15:20   #346
Senior - BHPian

re: Tata Tiago : Official Review

True that. I would have to go for the highest variant cos of safety features and that will be a disappointment as my requirements are met with XM itself.
Anyways, final price prediction - 3.6 starting and highest at 5.4. Lesse if Tata can really surprise us now.
harry10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2016, 15:31   #347
BHPian

My friend went for a Nano AT test drive and ended up extremely impressed with the Tiago drive. He was also saying that there was quite a buzz in the showroom and everyone wanted to be around only Tiago! He was disappointed with the sales guy who could not convey much information about the car except that it was great!

Waiting to see who in our Team-Bhp forum is going to be the first person to book this
Old 5th April 2016, 19:59   #348
BHPian

I test drove the Tata Tiago this weekend. It was available for display and drive at R City Mall, Ghatkopar. For once, I could see a lot of enthusiasm and excitement among the Tata Sales guys at the location. And why not, Tata has come up with a pretty good offering with Tiago.

My takeaways from the test drive are as follows.
  • Tiago is a cool car with chic looks. The front half somehow reminded me of the Hyundai cars. The entire body has a very good and solid finish. The panel gaps are pretty consistent. The front door closed with a solid thud, something which I do not expect from a car of this segment.
  • Once inside, the solid build quality is visible in most parts. The dash looks good and the buttons on the dash are pretty slick and feels good to use. The layout is pretty organised and looks uncluttered and pleasing to the eye.
  • The let down for me are the buttons on the arm rest and the steering. Those seemed flimsy and not at par with the rest of the body. The steering itself could have been slightly better. However, nothing one can complain about.
  • Lots of storage space available and a 8 speaker Harman music system is a surprising positive.
  • The headroom for the front seat is slightly lesser than what I would have liked. Forgot to check the rear headroom. The front seats are a notch smaller for my liking and could be a reason for discomfort for long rides. Should not be a problem for city commute. The rear seats are comfortable.
  • Coming to the ride, the car has excellent riding pleasure. Infact, the new 3 cylinder engine was something which I actually liked. For city commute, the engine had enough power and punch. The car also has an ECO mode for the regular city traffic. The noise inside the cabin is slightly higher than expected. However, the driving should be pretty ordinary on highways. This is a good city car.
  • Important point, this is strictly a 4 seater car. Seating 5 adults is absolutely not possible.
  • The car antenna is placed in the front and is pretty long. Was an eyesore.
  • Boot space is good.
  • The 3D TATA logo looks nice.

All in all, I was a happy guy post the test drive. This could be the much needed success for the Tatas. A lot of effort has been put into the car and it surely shows. The pricing would remain a major factor for the success of the car.

All the best TATA.

PS: I got a Rs. 500 PVR voucher for the test drive for being among the first 20 guys to test drive the car at the location.
anuraglakhotia is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 5th April 2016, 21:16   #349
Senior - BHPian

The Tiago was on display at my office campus. This is very nice looking car, possibly the best in segment.

Stepped in and was impressed by the quality. The car felt quite solid too. Lovely seats. They felt super comfortable. There isn't a ton of room at the back. Its about okay I'd say. The stereo was very good. Possibly better than what you get on some cars that are priced twice over.

I took the petrol for a spin and that is when things went down hill. As the review says, this engine cannot be compared to the three pots of offer from Suzuki and Hyundai. There are vibrations even at idle and the engine is audible too. I did find the engine responsive and it felt like a tractable unit. However; all of this does not really help cause you can hear the engine at pretty much any rpm. The clutch was super light. The shift quality of the gearbox was fine. What did not feel right about the gearbox was, when you placed you hand on the stick to change gear, it felt like the entire drive train vibrations were being transmitted. The brakes were alright and the ride was compliant.

Visually and to the touch, the interiors feel like they have a lot of quality. However; I got this feeling that rattles are around the corner.

I am not sure if this a design fault or the result of human error. On inspection of the engine bay, the rod that you pop out keep the hood upright was jammed. It seems like it was not put back in to its slot properly, when the hood was being shut. As a result, it had kinked the metal rain gutter on the inside of the fender.

On the face of it, this car seems really impressive. The problem is, there are way too many cars out there that feel a whole lot better.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 5th April 2016 at 21:27.
sandeepmohan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th April 2016, 08:09   #350
Senior - BHPian

Drove the Tiago Diesel yesterday.
  1. The car looks very elegant in person. The cabin also is a very nice place to be. The doors and all feel solid for the segment.
  2. It rides well over potholes at city speeds and has loads of space inside.
  3. Needless to say, the ICE is very good.
  4. Nice drivability from the Revotorq unit. Easy to putter around in 2nd and 3rd gear. The diesel engine is pretty refined with no clatter but its got a bit of vibration at lower revvs. Kept it below 60 through out, so no idea about highway performance.
  5. The gear shift is good with short and sure throws.
  6. Excellent AC unit too.
  7. Didnt drive the petrol unit. But it had a bit more of vibration compared to the diesel at idle. And the clutch was super heavy on the petrol. I think there was some fault. The Diesel' clutch was very light in comparison.

Looks very smart in this silver shade.
Tata Tiago : Official Review-img_20160405_152434123_hdr.jpg

Doors open wide. Easy to get in and out.
Tata Tiago : Official Review-img_20160405_152428635_hdr.jpg

Tiago looks good from all angles.
Tata Tiago : Official Review-img_20160405_152407715.jpg

Brilliant use of multiple planes. Its not a flat design and the car looks better than in real.
Tata Tiago : Official Review-img_20160405_152355959.jpg

Nice little steering wheel which is good to hold. Requires minimum effort with no weight or feel.
Tata Tiago : Official Review-img_20160405_152633836.jpg

The seats are very supportive with good contours.
Tata Tiago : Official Review-img_20160405_153641389.jpg

The fabric quality is quite good.
Tata Tiago : Official Review-img_20160405_153634734.jpg

The petrol car had after market covers which aren't required.
Tata Tiago : Official Review-img_20160405_152457303.jpg

Overall, its a very impressive little car and the sales guys were confidant about a lower sticker price. I think Tata should also have given it an AMT for both the diesel and petrol.
deetjohn is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 6th April 2016, 09:10   #351
BHPian

Can anybody share the webcast link please. Not able to find on Tata's website.
Old 6th April 2016, 09:19   #352
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul412 View Post
Can anybody share the webcast link please. Not able to find on Tata's website.
http://madeofgreat.tatamotors.com/tiago/

Last edited by Ponbaarathi : 6th April 2016 at 09:21.
Ponbaarathi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th April 2016, 11:41   #353
BHPian

Is the launch happening at 12?
Now the time left is not showing in the above link.
Old 6th April 2016, 12:01   #354
Senior - BHPian

Launch event starting in 3 minutes as per latest count down clock.
Old 6th April 2016, 12:10   #355
BHPian

Tata Motors is so tasteless, the football show in the car launch is not at all appealing.
Old 6th April 2016, 12:11   #356
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Dayyum why this football show !!?

6 colours on offer.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Tiago : Official Review-tiago-1.png  

Last edited by //M : 6th April 2016 at 12:17.
//M is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th April 2016, 12:13   #357
BHPian

Anyone able to access the live streaming?
I get an error message saying "Unavailable"

Henry Ford would be disappointed with the unavailability of the quintessential color Black. Orange and red would be the standout colors IMHO.

EDIT:
Prices from 3.2-5.54 Lakh Ex showroom.
Disruptive pricing at its best. Go for it Tata

Last edited by Roomy : 6th April 2016 at 12:43.
Roomy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th April 2016, 12:24   #358
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roomy View Post
Anyone able to access the live streaming?
I get an error message saying "Unavailable"

Henry Ford would be disappointed with the unavailability of the quintessential color Black.
Was working for me. That football show was unnecessary.

Tata Tiago : Official Review-cfvvujvwiaac3k4.jpg

Tata Tiago : Official Review-cfvqzuuwsaagua9.jpg

FE numbers
Tata Tiago : Official Review-cfvzlzyvaaaeihy.jpg

Wow.looks like great pricing.

Tata Tiago : Official Review-cfv3xuquyaantev.jpg

Images from Twitter

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 6th April 2016 at 12:46.
Rajeevraj is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th April 2016, 12:27   #359
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

5 specs - XB, XE, XM, XT & XZ.

Official Fuel Efficiency figures
Name:  Tiago 2.png
Views: 12675
Size:  229.9 KB

A 45.5 kpl figure from the diesel engine during the Fuel Efficiency Test at VRDE Ahmednagar is astonishing !!
Tata Tiago : Official Review-tiago-3.png

Last edited by //M : 6th April 2016 at 12:30.
//M is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th April 2016, 12:30   #360

I liked the car. Finally TATA has managed to develop a product which can overthrow i10 as king of the segment. Hope the car does well, TATA really needs for this car to sweeten their sales chart!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks