Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th April 2016, 17:45   #451
BHPian

re: Tata Tiago : Official Review

Although the pricing is good, its not far from what was being expected. If you keep the needless XB variant aside, prices actually start from 3.59 Lacs ex showroom Delhi.

I had expectations around 3.5 ex showroom and it has been launched around that. And the top-end petrol variant XZ comes between 5.7-5.9 in various cities, this I expected around 5.5 otr. So not bad either. The Celerio and Wagon R lacked a direct competitor, (not considering i10) so the Tiago much welcome!

From the reviews and experiences it can be said that the car feels good, top-end is loaded, has a good ride all the while giving good fuel efficiency. That makes this an ideal commuter hatch.

Now people have not liked the NVH of the 3cyl petrol motor. The NVH levels of a car increases as it ages. Most cars are pretty vibration and noise free when new, some even after a few years. So what happens to these 3pot motors in the long run? They have pretty bad NVH levels to begin with, will this deteriorate further as it ages? Or will it settle in and get better say after 4 years? pardon me if its a stupid question.
400notout is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th April 2016, 18:59   #452
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400notout View Post
Now people have not liked the NVH of the 3cyl petrol motor. The NVH levels of a car increases as it ages. Most cars are pretty vibration and noise free when new, some even after a few years. So what happens to these 3pot motors in the long run? They have pretty bad NVH levels to begin with, will this deteriorate further as it ages? Or will it settle in and get better say after 4 years? pardon me if its a stupid question.
The long term NVH of any vehicle is not a simple function of the number of engine cylinders. A lot of other parameters actually contribute to it. Overall body build, dampening materials, wear and tear, mounting points etc. The vibrations of the engine itself do not directly magnify over time depending on the number of cylinders. But rarely will the NVH actually get better after 4 years

Last edited by Reinhard : 7th April 2016 at 19:22.
Reinhard is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th April 2016, 19:03   #453
BHPian

I love TATA for their work ethics and commitment to India. I just hope this car would be enough to set the sales charts moving again...
Old 7th April 2016, 20:51   #454
BHPian

Today my Safari Storme had gone for its 2nd service. While it was getting ready I received a call from the Dealer who requested me to drop in and personally check out the TIAGO.

The car is well engineered and solidly put together. Door close with a VW type thud. Panel gaps are tight and even. The interior is very understated with an Europeanish feel. No wannabe bling bling. Engineering and manufacturing wise it seems better than the Safari Storme.

By midday they had received 15 bookings. There was a considerable crowd at the dealership. This despite the sales person being supremely clueless about the features. Shockingly they didn't have a brochure with a model wise feature matrix. Just a dumb flyer with Lionel Messi clutching a football.

Since I was in a hurry I declined the TD offer. Just revved both the demo cars. NVH wise the petrol version felt a bit unsettled while the Diesel version was fairly well sorted. Both the engines are surprisingly free revving.

I will strongly recommend this car as an option to anyone who is exploring this segment. Well done TATA !
drive_factor is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 7th April 2016, 21:52   #455
BHPian

Please confirm, there is no ABS in the optional safety pack.
ABS is only available in the top end variant? That's pretty unfair.

Even as per Co. website, ABS is not optional in any variant.
Old 8th April 2016, 08:16   #456
BHPian

I've been following Tata Tiago (Zica) for some time and overall Tata/JLR products quite keenly. Yesterday F-pace formal full length detailed reviews were published and while watching them I couldn't help but think that the two Interior design teams of Tata/JLR have worked in collaboration or for better words to jot down - Tata India has taken inspiration from their sister firm in the UK ( which I believe is a good sign )

There is this uncanny resemblance of side vent’s shape in both Tiago and F-pace. Now, to be honest yes, the Tiago's vents have an additional top contour whereas F-face has this sharp sloping side vent design, but I do see a family resemblance.

To elucidate this point in visual form, I've cut out two interior shots of each car and placed them side by side -

This is from Tiago
Tata Tiago : Official Review-tiagos-side-vents.png

And this one from F-pace
Tata Tiago : Official Review-fpaces-side-vents.png
djay434 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 8th April 2016, 12:13   #457
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400notout View Post

Even Alto K10( we have one 2012 model) which has a 3 cylinder engine has lot of thrum you are talking about and to me sounded crude at start up and vibrations are felt on the steering and gear stalk. I haven't tested tiago yet but i expect it to be better or at least equal to alto k10
Old 8th April 2016, 12:36   #458
Distinguished - BHPian

Anybody registered for a test drive through the website?

I did, but yet to get any email/call about the test drive.
Old 8th April 2016, 12:58   #459
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post

Calling them directly helps more in case of TATA as per my experience.
Old 8th April 2016, 13:28   #460
BHPian

Autocar compares Tiago and Celerio (diesel variants)

The tiago makes the Celerio diesel very basic. Tiago wins the battle hands down

Tiago trumps the Celerio in the following areas

# Fit and finish
# Build quality
# Interior quality
# Engine refinement
# Bigger, better and powerful engine
# Bigger tires
# Price - much cheaper

Tata Tiago : Official Review-tc.jpg

Tata Tiago : Official Review-tc1.jpg

Tata Tiago : Official Review-tc2.jpg

http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...on-401165.aspx

Tiago features variant wise

Tata Tiago : Official Review-t.jpg

http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...ed-401183.aspx

Also pls find the official brochure attached

BrochureTiago.pdf

Last edited by Karthik Chandra : 8th April 2016 at 13:39.
Karthik Chandra is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 8th April 2016, 14:54   #461
BHPian

Why is there no aggressive marketing of the car? Saw the Messi ad on YouTube but yet to see it on TV and haven't come across any print advertisements either in the newspapers etc.
Old 8th April 2016, 14:58   #462
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobydick1983 View Post
Why is there no aggressive marketing of the car? Saw the Messi ad on YouTube but yet to see it on TV and haven't come across any print advertisements either in the newspapers etc.
All edition of HT has full front page advertisement in today's paper.

TV too has frequent adds, specially in Star network.

Last edited by sourabhzen : 8th April 2016 at 15:00.
Old 8th April 2016, 15:37   #463
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post

I registered on the website however no response yet.

Finally called the showroom and will be visiting the brick and mortar shop in about 2 hours today. Salesperson informed me that the Test drive vehicle isn't available today, however I'm free to check the on-display vehicle and then schedule my test drive for tomorrow.
djay434 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2016, 15:43   #464
BHPian

Tata Motors seems to be working hard for the success of the Tiago after two continuous failures (Zest and Bolt) and I am sure that it will be a success because of it's excellent pricing.
Quote:
“Tiago is certainly very important since it will help us to change the image to some extent because the image undoubtedly has to improve. There has to be a clear, specific and focused positioning of our brand in the mind of the customer and even suppliers,” Girish Wagh, senior vice-president (Programme Planning & Project Management) at Tata Motors told Autocar India. The last ‘p’, however, is the most crucial one. Surely, Tata Motors has a lot of ground to cover in terms of its presence, and towards that end, the company has recruited and trained over 1,000 additional sales personnel at its 597 dealerships. However, a lot more work needs to be done, along with a complete overhaul of the retail format as the customer experience lags behind that offered by competitors.
Quote:
Originally Posted by djay434 View Post
There is this uncanny resemblance of side vent’s shape in both Tiago and F-pace. Now, to be honest yes, the Tiago's vents have an additional top contour whereas F-face has this sharp sloping side vent design, but I do see a family resemblance.
Yes, Tiago has few design elements from Jaguar too.
Quote:
Interestingly, a lot of inputs have been taken from luxury carmaker Jaguar Land Rover (JLR) for the engineering process. “We have our own New Product Introduction (NPI) process which has taken lot of inputs from the JLR’s process. The latter is more mature as a lot of products have gone through that process,” Wagh said adding that a lot of issue-based inputs such as getting the right quality of sheet metal for instance, were also taken from the luxury carmaker.
Source: http://m.autocarindia.com/Article.as...1202&type=News
Tojo_GotBhp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th April 2016, 20:19   #465
Senior - BHPian

Could not resist myself from visiting the showroom and check out the Tiago.

Impressed is the word:

1. Car looks very modern and contemporary. No resemblance whatsoever to the Indica family.

2. It is definitely not a Big Small Car (like the Indica/Vista/Bolt). Dimensions are cute and compact.

3. And that exactly why (point no. 2) the car probably won't make it as a TAXI

4. Shut lines (exterior) are impressive.. so is the quality and texture of materials used inside the car. Looks and feels PREMIUM

5. Door's close with a solid "THUD"..!!

Planning to visit the showroom once again for a Test Ride. I was planning to replace my 5 year old Spark with something bigger.. but boy, now I find the Tiago tempting.

P.S: Unless Tata Motors seriously screws it up, this car has everything to turn around fortunes for our "Desi" brand.

Last edited by payeng : 8th April 2016 at 20:22.
payeng is online now   (11) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks