Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th April 2016, 10:39   #496
BHPian

re: Tata Tiago : Official Review

Does anyone in Hyderabad received those VR goggles along with TOI? I didn't receive it with my TOI.
Old 12th April 2016, 10:59   #497
BHPian

Tata is providing seatbelts with pre tensioner and load limiter as an option in the XE, XM and XT models. The importance of these can be seen from the following videos.

Tata don't provide them even as an option in XE and XM variants of the Bolt and Zest but they are standard in XMS and XT variants. For comparison these are provided in all models of Baleno but are not available even as an option in Ritz, Swift, Swift DZire even in ZDI variants. Anyone going for Tiago should blindly opt for the safety pack which along with airbags are absolutely value for money at 18,000rs.

Last edited by damodar : 12th April 2016 at 11:17.
damodar is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 12th April 2016, 12:10   #498
Senior - BHPian

Got it with TOI. Great initiative. Unfortunately my phone doesn't have gyroscope :(
However, I am yet to see a TV ad of Tiago.
harry10 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2016, 13:43   #499
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Got it with TOI. Great initiative. Unfortunately my phone doesn't have gyroscope :(
However, I am yet to see a TV ad of Tiago.
Tiago ad is being played multiple times during IPL matches.
Old 12th April 2016, 14:52   #500
BHPian

Well, kudos to Tata Motors. They clearly are leaving no stone unturned and sparing no expense to market a product which they believe in. I hope they succeed - they really need to get a break.
Old 12th April 2016, 15:03   #501
BHPian

Phenomenal use of marketing and technology. Just like many, I was also curious to try the Lenovo K4 note for the same stuff but TATA offered the same for free.
So many TOI have gone missing today from people's door and many not delivered to grab this
Hope the luck shines on TATA this time and they get the much needed break through success with Tiago
Old 12th April 2016, 15:33   #502
BHPian

I'm glad to see the overwhelming good wishes to Tata motors in Team-BHP for the success of Tiago. Looks like lots of BHPians want Tata to do well
However, couple of points stick out sorely for me:
1. ABS available only in XZ variant. Not even part of optional pack in XE, XM & XT variant.
2. XB variant seems like a obvious strategy only from marketing perspective - doesn't look like they expect to sell one actually.

I did check out a Tiago at a showroom in February (back then it was called Zica). The cabin felt very comfy and great; only one downer - the floor hump did seem unreasonably tall to me. Did anybody else feel the same way?
Old 12th April 2016, 15:49   #503
BHPian

Deliveries have only just started and there's already talk of hiking the prices.

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/51781372.cms

Tata should not become over-confident about the response to the Tiago. TML have made many mistakes in product positioning and pricing in the past and the Tiago is the car that could redeem them in the eyes of the both customers and share holders.

In my opinion they should hold prices steady for at least 6 months or until sales reach some critical threshold at which point the Tiago could be considered as a successful product. For the price and position the Tiago is in, I think it would have to sell at least 5000 cars per month to be really considered successful.
Motard_Blr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2016, 18:47   #504
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motard_Blr View Post
Deliveries have only just started and there's already talk of hiking the prices.
Thats a standard trick by automakers to lure more customers in the showroom by highlighting lower prices.

Last edited by Rehaan : 13th April 2016 at 12:58. Reason: Fixing quote...
aditya79india is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2016, 17:05   #505
BHPian

My search for our family’s second small car (my mom’s trusted Maruti 800 – workhorse for 26 years, clocked 1.28L kms yet not even once it’s guts have been opened is now showing signs of age) has been confusing (gross understatement).

I followed the amazingly helpful Team-BHP’s first New Car buying guide and its guidelines –

1. FIX THE BUDGET (one cannot emphasize enough on this) – however this basic principle is way too tempting to break and I happened to break it the first thing itself. I started with Alto K10 Vxi (o) in mind but test drove Eon, Amaze, Celerio, Grand i10, Polo and now I’m looking at Tiago XZ (petrol) – this car just too good to resist for all the creature comforts and a VERY plush city ride.

2. Test Drive, test drive and again test drive – every time I test rode a vehicle I discovered something I missed in my last ride. Every manufacturer approaches consumer problems in a unique manner and they all seem to be correct (in their own way)
Tata Tiago has simply changed the game for the likes of Celerio, i10 (kappa 1.1) and Grand i10 (base version). I’m not even considering the dead Beat.

Initial impressions upon laying my eyes in showroom:
1. Build quality is now on-par with the likes of Maruti, Chevy, Toyota (Liva) and just a touch below Hyundai

2. Interior design has this European flair to it, the hexagonal head unit, ergonomically placed switches all add to the feel good factor while seated inside the car.

3. From outside, I couldn’t fault with the design even one bit. Be it the rear of the car - no ugly bulges, just the right size of tail lamps or the very tastefully added chrome bits (I’m personally not a fan of chrome) and the side profile (Thank God, Tata has finally ditched the egg shape design and Christmas tree tail lamps).

4. The doors have this nice ‘thud’ when closing them – exudes heft and structural rigidity (although heft has no relation to crash worthiness)

5. Very generous boot (bigger than Swift) and thoughtfully designed to maximize luggage capacity.

6. Few things worth mentioning –
The arm rest is very conveniently placed and is of good width, I particularly liked this when observing the interiors for the first time. It was boon when riding shotgun during test-rides.
Tata Tiago : Official Review-armrest.jpg

The slightly scooped area where Bluetooth mic is placed – is there in-front above driver and shotgun’s seat.
Tata Tiago : Official Review-scoop-overhead.jpg

Look at Tata – NOT skipping boot covers, Maruti, Honda – please take note. Dimple of my finger press to demonstrate adequate cushion
Tata Tiago : Official Review-boot-cover-dimple.jpg

Some areas where Tata still needs to fix up their assembly line – uneven panels gaps
Tata Tiago : Official Review-uneven-panel-gap.jpg

Tata is PROUD of its new baby and rightfully so, look at the comparisons in the official handout booklet with sales guys.
Petrol Comparison
Tata Tiago : Official Review-petrol-comparison.jpg

Diesel Comparison
Tata Tiago : Official Review-diesel-comparison.jpg

Extended warranty is on-par with the competitors (I think Tata’s new engine family is dependable – only time will tell though)
Tata Tiago : Official Review-warranty-period.jpg

Appreciation from everyone –
Tata Tiago : Official Review-3rd-party-appreciation.jpg

Tata Tiago’s Pièce de résistance – blows everyone out of the water (introductory prices though). Prices for Lucknow, UP.
Tata Tiago : Official Review-price-list-lucknow.jpg

Interesting note, the RTO (calculated at 8% of ex-showroom price) has additional Rs. 2000/-. Upon checking with the sales person he informed me these are required at RTO. Look at the side note below price sheet.
Tata Tiago : Official Review-foot-note-price-list.png

7. Driving Dynamics (I drove only petrol as this is what I’m planning to buy) –

Bad and Worse parts:
• [bad] The three cylinder thrum is present, prominently! No matter what and how many reviews say it’s not, it’s pretty audible when the air con is not running. Air-con drowns the outside noise (more on air-con performance later – it’s BAD).

•[bad] I found the A-pillars intrusive and blocking. While navigating the tight turns, I did find them to be an obstruction and in my line of sight at corners. Not a huge dislike and can be easily forgiven and adjusted to.

•[bad] Gear level’s vibrations are VERY prominent while changing from 3rd to 4th. There is this shudder and a strong push from gear stick once you upshift and accelerate. I noticed this because I have this habit of placing one hand on the gear stick.

•[worse] The air-con performance is BAD and unacceptable! I took two test rides, one each from two separate dealers in Lucknow (Motorsales and SRM). Upon ending my first ride of approx. 12 kms round trip the cabin was still not cool – kept the air-con speed at three as two was simply useless. Fan speed 4 is blower, no cool air. I first thought that it might be this specific test car’s problem and thus requested another dealer for a test ride. Same issue – this time the test drive was for about 6-7 kms and the air-con simply couldn’t cool the cabin. It was like, while the air-con is ON at three, front passengers could feel some cool air on their face however rear passengers were boiling. The moment you stop the air-con, there was no effect of chill left in the car. Spoke at length about this point to the sales guy and he agreed that from previous Tata cars, Tiago’s AC isn’t as effective and definitely not at par with Celerio and i10. First test ride was done at 11.20am in the morning (outside temperature 31 degrees) and the second test ride at 5pm in the afternoon (outside temperature 34 degrees).

Good and Better points:
•The suspension is an absolute delight – it soaks up bumps and pot-holes like no one’s business. You have to hand it to Tata’s engineers for the brilliant job they have done here. Kudos guys!

•Cabin insulation from wind and road noise is good, I wouldn’t say great but it’s perfectly acceptable for a city car – speeds of up to 60-70kmph.

•The steering is nimble, car is small, and can be chucked around with ease – as there aren’t overtly flared up wheel arches or protruding bumpers you have a fairly good idea of this dame’s dimensions and whereabouts 

8. Additional Points to note:
•Comparing it with Amaze - Dual horns on Tiago are great, no cost cutting by Tata;

•Cabin air recirculation button is electronic (Honda take note – Rs. 8L Amaze has an ugly manual slider)

•Headlight throw not known – none of the reviews have mentioned anything. Hope it’s acceptable.

•Brown color (looks a lot like a shade of grey) is very appealing. Named as Espresso brown in Tata’s language.

•Wifey made a comment that interior dash design is better than Grandi10 and driving both successively, gear slotting is better in Tiago. Don’t know why but Grand i10’s gear slotting felt very notchy. (Sportz model – petrol)

•Driver seat height adjustor has a VERY good range, I’m 5 feet 8 inches and on full uplift of seat my head was touching the roof and tilted.

My current dilemma is which car to book. Tiago ticks ALL the boxes but I just can’t seem to get myself around the fact that its AC is simply not effective and if I buy this car every time I sit, drive and look at it, I’ll be reminded of the sub-par performance of the AC but the sweat drop on my brow.

Yesterday took a test drive of Grand i10 Sportz (petrol) and the AC was a chiller – same road and same time as that of my second test drive of Tiago.
djay434 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 13th April 2016, 18:27   #506
BHPian

Test drove Tiago XZ petrol today at Concorde Motors Baner. Already a lot has been said so i will just summarize quickly - Its a great drive with good useful features along with great build quality and decent space(wifey found it to be more roomier than our swift) , the only thing i felt was the engine noise to be little on the higher side , AC was good too.

Waiting for petrol is 4 weeks and diesel is 2 months and they will be getting the diesel test drive car some time later this week.
rosaf is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th April 2016, 18:43   #507

I test drove the Tata Tiago a week back, I must say I am impressed by the overall feel of the Car, the engine is more refined, the interiors are good, the quality of plastics used is good, the dashboard looks nice and all those small storage spaces add to your delight, the steering felt smaller but electrically assisted and easy to handle. The revotron one is a treat to drive, the diesel one made me feel a bit like Indica ecs. Overall a good car for the money. I can see a segment here between the Wagon R kind and the Swift kind . All the best Tata .
Old 13th April 2016, 19:42   #508
BHPian

We have two back to back comments here, one of which rates the tiago's AC to be pretty bad. While the other say's the AC is good. Both seems to be review of the petrol version of tiago.
Can anyone with first hand experience with both petrol and diesel variants can enlighten us about the comparative AC performance between the two engines ? I am very excited about tiago and even suggesting a few of my friends/colleagues to check it out before deciding their car. Since I am not in a position to get a test drive myself soon, good folks here can help me out here.
Old 13th April 2016, 20:19   #509
BHPian

Checked out the Tiago at Tata Motors Cochin Dealership! I must say I was really impressed with the quality of the vehicle, especially considering the pricing. The doors feel solid and close with a nice feel. Interiors are comfy and every thing was well in place. For the price, it's such an amazing package. I can't really believe Maruti is offering the Wagon-R with a much inferior quality at the same price point. Hope Tata succeeds in selling this really well! Definitely a worthy contender!
Old 13th April 2016, 21:43   #510

Quote:
Originally Posted by djay434 View Post
•[worse] The air-con performance is BAD and unacceptable! I took two test rides, one each from two separate dealers in Lucknow (Motorsales and SRM). Upon ending my first ride of approx. 12 kms round trip the cabin was still not cool – kept the air-con speed at three as two was simply useless. Fan speed 4 is blower, no cool air. I first thought that it might be this specific test car’s problem and thus requested another dealer for a test ride. Same issue – this time the test drive was for about 6-7 kms and the air-con simply couldn’t cool the cabin. It was like, while the air-con is ON at three, front passengers could feel some cool air on their face however rear passengers were boiling. The moment you stop the air-con, there was no effect of chill left in the car. Spoke at length about this point to the sales guy and he agreed that from previous Tata cars, Tiago’s AC isn’t as effective and definitely not at par with Celerio and i10. First test ride was done at 11.20am in the morning (outside temperature 31 degrees) and the second test ride at 5pm in the afternoon (outside temperature 34 degrees).
We are upgrading from a Maruti 800 too and test drove the Tiago twice. Did not find the AC bad at all. In fact it was quite a chiller. We were pretty happy with it. This is in Mumbai (Thane) at around 11 am and 3 pm. Must have been late 30s or about 40 degrees at the 3 pm ride.

Have booked the petrol car but cannot decide on a colour. Everyone in the house has a different preference. Would like to see the Blue one in person but not available in Thane to see.
pallavi_sgi is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks