Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th April 2016, 11:03   #526
BHPian

re: Tata Tiago : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by guptavis View Post
This is the biggest problem with even thinking about tata. Ive booked a baleno in march with a waiting period of atleast 6 months!! Really liked tiago and when i faintly suggested it to my dad, he was like "TATA!! who buys a TATA car??" and the debate just ended right there.

Then again, i think we shouldnt fret much on people buying cars based on neighbors approval, when in our country a lot of marriage decisions are made based on neighbors/family approvals.
Who buys a TATA car ? I think you have to answer yourself. People who know cars will buy a Tata car. To enlighten you a bit, Tata cars are fundamentally sound in engineering. Yes, they may have had problems in service and sales. But I have Safari, Manza and nano automatic. So, to say the least the drive quality is the best in their respective segments and for the price we paid. I have driven more than 1.5 lakh kms in tata cars without even a single puncture, forget any breakdown !! The servicing costs have been abysmally low compared to my friends who own Hyundai and Hondas and try to speak to SAs in English at these Hyundai and Honda company authorized service centers and get bills in thousands just for nothing !! These English speaking SAs know how to fleece people !! Maruti, Hyundai and Honda are progressively expensive to maintain especially after 50,000 kms. that is where I guess Tata's low maintenance steps in. Anyway, I am not trying to market Tata or educate you here, its only matter of valuing things in the right perspective. Remember most of the Indian products work best in Indian conditions. This is the truth.
power ranger is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 19th April 2016, 12:55   #527
Senior - BHPian

Guys, even I like the Tiago and would want it for my dad. But whenever I think Tata, memories of broken down Indiacas with the bonnet up on the highways, come to mind. But this is one car I seriously plan to give a chance and probably book one, once I see the initial demand. Don't want to be stuck with a turkey.
Old 19th April 2016, 13:01   #528
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezee View Post
But with this short test drive what i didn't like most was the petrol engine. Which was badly vibrating on low speeds also tried to reserve car and i found even more vibrations, the whole dashboard was rattling. Also noticed the tyres were badly shivering when some one else was doing same. Please share if its normal or that TD car was faulty?

The thing i like most was the music system by Herman, also the light steering.
May be that was the reason he didn't want you to take a longer test drive. Must be a faulty vehicle. Give it a try from other dealer. I have test driven it, gem of a car.
Old 19th April 2016, 13:55   #529
Distinguished - BHPian

Just completed a decent distance TD of Tiago Revotron XZ. Overall its a nice city car.

1. The car does NOT feel cheap. It feels a nice car.
2. Good Harman Kardon audio (Frankly, I liked the one in Zest more than this, could be the settings or songs; but I liked it more. Read Zest had a better rated system.) Make no mistake, you wouldn't find an even remotely better OE even in a segment higher unless its another TATA. It didn't distort even at volume 20, which none of us will go upto.
3. In cabin noise isolation is decent, the outside honking is not intrusive though you can hear it.
4. Light clutch, light steering, short throw gear, dead pedal.
5. Spacious enough for the segment.
6. Liked the dashboard pattern / seat fabric.
7. Overall design is really good, pics don't justify it. Spend time with the car to check these.
8. Suspension is good, a tad bouncy but absorbs bad patches well - a typical TATA.
9. Driver seat height adjust, steering rake adjust
10. Integrated rear parking sensors. The 'stop' now warning beep makes you stop the car - it's that L-O-U-D !
11. Loved the key reminder warning chime - those nice to have things which excite me big time.
12. Nice big ORVMs, power assistance too.
13. Nice seat contours in front, bigger frames may have trouble.
14. Courteous & eager SA / team @ the promotion. Could be stronger (knowledge) with USPs Vs competition.
15. AC felt good in 1st (1 PM, Mumbai heat), 2nd speed was chilly.
16. Steering mounted controls.

Didn't like:

1. I found the steering to be a tad smaller than I like.
2. Felt a strong pull to one side - auto correction?
3. Equivalent to current gen feel - a bit artificial though it weighed up with speed.
4. Low end torque - similar to a Wagon R, but I drive a 1.6
5. The dead pedal is placed slightly higher from the platform - didn't like it much.
6. The seat recliner lever had a very strong return action, hurt my finger the first time I released it.
7. At the lowest setting for steering & seat, felt the steering to be a bit higher. If you have adjustment, shouldn't be a problem.
8. Gear shift has a clunky feel to it.
9. Vibrations
10. Eco mode - You wouldn't want to use it unless you are sitting in bumper to bumper traffic.
11. I remember TATA had flown guys from their factory to market Zest, that could do wonders with Tiago too

Will I buy this car? No, since I drive a Palio GTX 1.6. But if have to compare Wagon R / Celerio / Grand i10 - this would make a cut! This car feels a lot better package (save for the lottery TA$$). Marutis don't stand s chance from a product perspective, i10 has good interiors.

Disclaimer: TDed at the work space, was provided a PVR voucher worth 500/- for TDing.

Last edited by Aditya : 20th April 2016 at 07:20. Reason: Additional points. As requested.
swiftnfurious is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 19th April 2016, 14:28   #530
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Guys, even I like the Tiago and would want it for my dad. But whenever I think Tata, memories of broken down Indiacas with the bonnet up on the highways, come to mind. But this is one car I seriously plan to give a chance and probably book one, once I see the initial demand. Don't want to be stuck with a turkey.
Open bonnet up on the highways was a ploy from the competition, this has been proved once and many times. I have driven Zeta and now Tiago, the cars are second to none! Unfortunatly TATA had got a wrong tagging, I am sure Tiago would turn it around!
LoneRidder is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th April 2016, 14:51   #531
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Just completed a decent distance TD of Tiago. Overall its a nice city car.
Hi swiftnfurious, was it the Petrol or Diesel variant you got a chance to TD. If you were able to TD both Petrol and Diesel variants, are these comments generic for both? Thanks in advance.
Keynote is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2016, 16:46   #532
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keynote View Post
Hi swiftnfurious, was it the Petrol or Diesel variant you got a chance to TD. If you were able to TD both Petrol and Diesel variants, are these comments generic for both? Thanks in advance.
Thanks for asking, it was a Revotron (petrol). The diesel variant was not available for TD. Somehow, I read that its the petrol available for TDs mostly. Guess they want people to try their Revotron range predominantly.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2016, 17:52   #533
BHPian

Tiago is being displayed in my tech park today, had a close look. Interiors look really good considering the price of the car, as has been suggested by everyone here. Healthy seat height travel range was a feature which i liked. One of my friends who is 6'2" was able to sit comfortably in the driver's seat, and the legroom at the back was still very decent. Overall, i think this is a job very well done from Tata, let's hope they find the success they deserve.
asivan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2016, 18:34   #534
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Thanks for asking, it was a Revotron (petrol). The diesel variant was not available for TD. Somehow, I read that its the petrol available for TDs mostly. Guess they want people to try their Revotron range predominantly.
Same was the case when I went for checking Tiago in Kerala (Kannur) last week. Looks like there is some supply issues of Diesel Tiago.

Last edited by Latheesh : 19th April 2016 at 18:52.
Latheesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th April 2016, 20:19   #535
BHPian

Quote:

Early Indicas ( a decade ago), did indeed have quality issues but over the last 5 yrs it's been the most reliable fleet hatchback. Now only Liva is matching it.
Old 19th April 2016, 20:36   #536
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I do not think that you have to worry overtly. In our (large & extended) family we are running several vehicles across OEM's, Indian, Japanese, Korean, German/Czech etc. Surprisingly the Tata's are holding up extremely well - honestly i did not expect them to. There is a 2009 vintage Vista which has crossed 110k kms on the clock and more recently a Nano AMT which has just seen 10k kms.
Apart from regular scheduled servicing, nothing has fallen off, neither has any of them broken down midway. The Vista is abused pretty badly but still has managed to maintain its integrity. In fact, the 2010 Swift's trim rattles more than the Tata's!

Bottomline: I do not think you have to be scared w.r.t. vehicle reliability from the Tata's any more. Recently i had the chance to taste the newer spread from TML, viz, Bolt & a test drive of Tiago - and was pleasantly surprised with the way they moved, turned corners & took bumps on the road.

Can't understand why these vehicles do not sell more. Badge value? Snob appeal? Dunno'.

Last edited by arjab : 19th April 2016 at 20:38.
arjab is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 19th April 2016, 21:22   #537
BHPian

I was almost sold on the Celerio Zxi AMT and then comes the Tiago. I had a feel of both. In terms of quality of the interior, Tiago was a surprise to me and it simply blows Celerio out of the water in that department. The only advantage I see on the Celerio is the AMT. If there is a chance that Tiago gets an AMT version anytime soon maybe I can wait for that.
anish5225 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2016, 08:00   #538
Senior - BHPian

Saw a Tiago being TD'ed on the ORR yesterday - it caught our attention from a distance and only close up we figured out what car it was. This one's going to sell like hot cakes. Very impressive!
Old 20th April 2016, 08:33   #539
BHPian

Tata Tiago (aka Zica) : Official Review

I did a short TD of Tiago petrol. Drives amazingly well for a city car. Am not sure if it's a mile cruncher on highways. Interiors are fantabulous.

I liked the way the SA explained the features on their demo car. They have 2 tabs fixed: one on the windshield and other at the rear of front passenger head rest.
They have pdf documents which he uses and swipes away happily explaining the car and its features. Very innovative and novel I felt.

For the TD, I got a lovely Messi key chain and a Tiago branded chocolate!

The experience at the showroom was just so top class!

I just wish and hope the younger generation breaks away from the herd, look at the new products of TATA and make purchases. I was one among such who braved to buy a Zest last year inspite of my dear ones against it. Today, after seeing Zest and experiencing it, their opinions have changed for the good.

I do wish TATA a great commercial success with Tiago and send down some shivers to manufacturers dishing out mediocre products in their respective segments!

Last edited by balajisv : 20th April 2016 at 08:35.
balajisv is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 20th April 2016, 08:45   #540
Senior - BHPian

That was some great experience you had at the dealership! Which one was it? if Tata has revamped their sales and service, then Tiago is on its way to be a good seller. Lets watch out for the figures. We are eyeing the top end diesel because petrol was never a Tata forte, but yet to take a test drive.
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks