Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st April 2016, 21:51   #556
Senior - BHPian

re: Tata Tiago : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by pallavi_sgi View Post
Only 300 bookings in all of Rajasthan? That sounds a bit low based on dealer's numbers reported from various cities on this forum. But asuming this is correct, extrapolating this to roughly ... 20 states ... only brings the total to about 6000 bookings. Quite low compared to expectations.
Using simple maths would be wrong. Maths has no logic. As per maths, if 1 person can build a house in 365 days, 365 people can build the same house in 1 day.

Such a guesstimate is incorrect even from an approximation point of view, unless the numbers are extrapolated based on the annual average % of sales per state and union territories.

Unfortunately, state wise sales distribution is not provided by manufacturers/SIAM. Else, it would have been a part of our Monthly sales analysis. I tried to search for it but could not.
So unless Tata discloses the numbers, it is difficult to predict

Last edited by vinit.merchant : 21st April 2016 at 21:56.
vinit.merchant is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st April 2016, 21:54   #557

Test drove the Tiago on April 14 @ AutoVikas, Dwarka, New Delhi and here are my observations and I fully stand by them

Things you will like:
1. Superb build quality, the car is NOT built to a cost
2. Neat packaging of everything including the engine bay and passenger cabin stuff
3. Top quality materials used dashboard, door handles, latches, everything
4. Harman audio system on top variant is simply OUTSTANDING, nothing else even comes close, not even the one without the 4 tweeters.

Things you will not like:
1. The car is seriously underpowered (petrol, have not tested the diesel because that was not my requirement, so cannot comment about it). With 3 adults and a child, with the a/c on, the car was shuddering while lifting it from dead stop in first gear, I can accept that on my Alto but expected a better experience on the Tiago. I am seriously disappointed with the performance. The Tiago is a solidly built rather heavy car and needed better power delivery early on, if it has to appeal to the segment it intends to cater to. Looks alone are not going to win the battle for the Tiago (petrol)
2. The A/C is a disaster. I tested the KUV after that followed by the Celerio and they were both far better than the Tiago. You have to believe it that an Alto's A/C is FAR better and quite literally chills the car in no time but the Tiago disappoints here.
3. Steering felt too much assisted at slow speeds, more Hyundai like than Maruti which is NOT a good thing also more feedback at least at slower speeds would have been appreciated.

My verdict:
Disclaimer - This piece applies only to Tiago petrol
A very good looking and well built car which has been seriously let down by a below par engine and air conditioning system.
Mark my words, the Tiago is not going to manage even a dent in the Celerio's territory because the overall packaging of the Celerio is hard to beat, cracker of an engine (heck it is even better than the KUV100), superb steering feel at all speeds, reasonably well loaded and the brand value it enjoys AND that is more than enough to stay worry free, at least as far as the Tiago 'onslaught' is considered and unless Tata decide to remap the engine for optimized performance, it will have to be content with another good shot which turned out not to be good enough.
Old 22nd April 2016, 03:40   #558
Distinguished - BHPian

What's the complaint with AC? Is everyone hoping to chill the cabin in speed 1 in the afternoon? Or is the lack of cooling evident in higher speeds?
Old 22nd April 2016, 04:48   #559
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinit.merchant View Post
Using simple maths would be wrong.
Agree.
Quote:
Maths has no logic.
Really.

Quote:
if 1 person can build a house in 365 days, 365 people can build the same house in 1 day.
I think you wanted to highlight the weakness of statistics.

There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics .

Anyway, coming back to topic, Tiago is a well engineered product from Tata. The interiors and the design are miles ahead of their older products. I think they needed bring freshness from ground up, starting from dealerships, if they want to sell more products.

Last edited by ecenandu : 22nd April 2016 at 04:50.
Old 22nd April 2016, 05:59   #560
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by power ranger View Post
Who buys a TATA car ? I think you have to answer yourself. People who know cars will buy a Tata car. To enlighten you a bit, Tata cars are fundamentally sound in engineering. Yes, they may have had problems in service and sales. But I have Safari, Manza and nano automatic. So, to say the least the drive quality is the best in their respective segments and for the price we paid. I have driven more than 1.5 lakh kms in tata cars without even a single puncture, forget any breakdown !! The servicing costs have been abysmally low compared to my friends who own Hyundai and Hondas and try to speak to SAs in English at these Hyundai and Honda company authorized service centers and get bills in thousands just for nothing !! These English speaking SAs know how to fleece people !! Maruti, Hyundai and Honda are progressively expensive to maintain especially after 50,000 kms. that is where I guess Tata's low maintenance steps in. Anyway, I am not trying to market Tata or educate you here, its only matter of valuing things in the right perspective. Remember most of the Indian products work best in Indian conditions. This is the truth.
Firstly, I'm sure you mean ride quality because the Safari is a bit too fat and wollowy to be fun to drive and the Manza doesn't feel very eager on its feet either. My experience with the Nano was terrible in terms of the way it rode or drove but then again I suppose it is okay to call it the best in its segment when there is nothing else to compare it to at that price point.

Secondly, I'm sorry, but not puncturing a tyre is a silly standard for measuring reliability mate. Good for you, you seem to have been lucky. Kudos to you for having a trouble free experience but that gives you no right to make sweeping statements about the reliability of Tata cars. Their "engineering" prowess is well documented in this forum itself. With several issues with the initial batches of Aria, bonnet flying open on a Xenon and Manza, etc. In the end, their quality control is clearly not up to the mark. I love the Tiago and it sure seems to have been improved upon in several areas but it still needs to prove itself. People's apprehension regarding the brand is certainly understandable and it is clearly something the brand has cultivated for itself. Tata will have to prove itself to get out of the situation they are in. No two ways about that.

My experience with other brands especially Maruti has been excellent. My own WagonR has crossed 1.5 lakh kilometers, and she has been thrashed about and abused the whole time (you will be surprised by the kind of endeavors she has undertaken at my hands) and not asked for anything much in terms of maintenance. Sure one occasionally hears of a bad dealership/A.S.S. but that holds true for all brands. If you take the percentage of bad dealerships for each, then you might be surprised (although it shouldn't really be a surprise). Even customer satisfaction surveys across the web ought to prove me right. That said I have heard about Tata's excellent maintenance packages and I can't wait to test them out if I ever decide to buy the Tiago or Nexon (both cars that are tempting me to try out the Tata brand now)

To conclude, smart people buy whichever car suits them best, and aren't stupid or lazy enough to let A.S.S. take them for a ride and hamper their ownership experience.

Last edited by GTO : 23rd April 2016 at 14:30. Reason: First line wasn't required. Thanks
IshaanIan is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2016, 09:13   #561
srh
BHPian

My opinion on how some people assess this car:

Step 1 - Sit in the car
Step 2 - Observe the interiors, features, build quality
Step 3 - Determine that it is a premium car basis the interiors
Step 4 - Build expectations on what to expect from the engine basis assumption of premium
Step 5 - Forget the price at which it is offered
Step 6 - Drive it. Then crib that it is a lousy car because it doesn't drive fast and is not as refined as a 4 cylinder engine car

Guess one needs to understand - itne paise me itna hi milta hai :-)
srh is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2016, 09:37   #562
BHPian

All said and done, NO other car offers a better price - features - specification combination as the Tiago. Maruti and Hyundai users may be right with their views as their machines have satisfied them no end with "superior" reliability.

But here, an OEM is trying hard to prove itself with an accomplished product, will also improve its service as volumes pick. Give them a chance before passing on comments shot from the arm chair.

Agreed, Tata has more service related problems than either Maruti or Huyndai but it is also equally true that, in the event of an accident, chances of survival in a Tata car are much, much higher than that of Maruti (which crumples like paper) or Hyundai (although Hyundai is better than Maruti).

When volumes increase, TML dealers too will do good business and improve their quality.
AmarPaithankar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2016, 09:39   #563
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Firstly, I'm sure you mean ride quality because the Safari is a bit too fat and wollowy to be fun to drive and the Manza doesn't feel very eager on its feet either. My experience with the Nano was terrible in terms of the way it rode or drove.....

My experience with other brands especially Maruti has been excellent. My own WagonR has crossed 1.5 lakh kilometers...
Shall we avoid this kinder garden type of 'mine is better than yours' mentality ? If your WagonR is so good, be happy with that. Don't bash other brands in a section where people are discussing about a new car.

I have been driving Safaris for just about a decade and I am extremely happy about it. I don't go around insulting the owners of other brands.

Last edited by GTO : 23rd April 2016 at 14:35. Reason: Quoted post edited
Prowler is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2016, 09:46   #564
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srh View Post
My opinion on how some people assess this car:

Step 1 - Sit in the car
Step 2 - Observe the interiors, features, build quality
Step 3 - Determine that it is a premium car basis the interiors
Step 4 - Build expectations on what to expect from the engine basis assumption of premium
Step 5 - Forget the price at which it is offered
Step 6 - Drive it. Then crib that it is a lousy car because it doesn't drive fast and is not as refined as a 4 cylinder engine car

Guess one needs to understand - itne paise me itna hi milta hai :-)
So true. The problem is that very few people understand what it costs to produce something (both in terms of talent and money). Manufacturing a product to a cost without making it apparent is very difficult.

The TeamBhp review states that the AC is very effective.

I think the AC issue being reported by some members here could be due to a clogged AC filter. This happened quite a few times in the Nano and it is irritating because the blower noise increases but the cooling efficiency decreases. I used to live in a dusty environment (road construction all around) and the filter got clogged within a week of replacement. The culprit is a piece of filter paper that can be replaced in 10 minutes. If that is the case, I'm surprised that the showroom folks are not replacing these filters on a regular basis.

Last edited by GTO : 14th April 2017 at 13:51. Reason: Removing double quote :)
Nissan1180 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2016, 10:50   #565
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Shall we avoid this kinder garden type of 'mine is better than yours' mentality ? If your WagonR is so good, be happy with that. Don't bash other brands in a section where people are discussing about a new car.

I have been driving Safaris for just about a decade and I am extremely happy about it. I don't go around insulting the owners of other brands.
LOL dude read my post properly. There is no mine is better than yours mentality. I am merely being realistic. I quoted my WagonR as an example because it is the only car that I have driven similar kilometers in to point out that it isn't a maintenance hassle after 50k kms like Power Ranger had said it would be. I clearly mentioned the safari and manza's strengths as being their ride quality not their dynamic prowess as a correction to power rangers post that suggested they were the best cars to drive in their segments (if you think anything is wrong about that I am sorry). I am not bashing any brand here. Merely stating the truth about Tata needing to prove itself. I clearly even mentioned being a potential new TATA buyer. Go through a post properly to understand its tone and stance before jumping the gun mate. I simply had to correct some of power rangers statements because this is India's leading automotive forum and people could be misguided. However if you believe it is okay to run around being unrealistic and making sweeping statements based on nothing, then I guess to each his own. You can simply ignore my post.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 22nd April 2016 at 10:54.
Old 22nd April 2016, 10:59   #566
Senior - BHPian

Looks like Tata's decision to appoint Messi as their brand ambassador is good. Heard many people talking about Tiago and it's ad shown on TV during IPL. Eagerly waiting for April sales numbers of Tiago.
Latheesh is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2016, 11:03   #567
BHPian

Quote:
Kudos to you for having a trouble free experience but that gives you no right to make sweeping statements about the reliablity of Tata cars. Their "engineering" prowess is well documented in this forum itself.
So, what gives you the right to make such a sweeping statement?
Quote:
My experience with other brands especially Maruti has been excellent. My own WagonR has crossed 1.5 lakh kilometers, and she has been thrashed about and abused the whole time (you will be surprised by the kind of endeavors she has undertaken at my hands) and not asked for anything much in terms of maintenance. Sure one occasionally hears of a bad dealership/A.S.S. but that holds true for all brands.
And now we should take it from you just because you own a car from the holy brand?

If you want to talk about Tata's reliability, please take it to this thread:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...y-service.html
prakash_ajp is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2016, 11:07   #568
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakash_ajp View Post
So, what gives you the right to make such a sweeping statement?
The fact that it is well documented on this very forum. Simply read through my post without apprehensions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakash_ajp View Post
And now we should take it from you just because you own a car from the holy brand?

If you want to talk about Tata's reliability, please take it to this thread:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...y-service.html
Well if someone says that every other brand like Honda, Maruti etc. becomes a pain to maintain after 50k kms, I can't quote my own example to put an end to such assumptions?

Sorry if people are offended by my post. I beg again that one reads it with a neutral mind to truly understand what I am saying. Not going to argue any further, I never said I hate Tata infact mentioned its positives and even my desire to own one soon, never called Maruti the "holy brand" infact I even mentioned that there are bad service centers for every brand our there Maruti included. Perhaps if I had mentioned my WagonR's shortcomings (of which there are many like its poor dynamic capabilities) then I would not be receiving so much flack from folks like you but that is just irrelevant and unnecessary.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 22nd April 2016 at 11:11.
Old 22nd April 2016, 11:41   #569
Senior - BHPian

Tata Tiago (aka Zica) : Official Review

Quote:
Sorry if people are offended by my post. I beg again that one reads it with a neutral mind to truly understand what I am saying. Not going to argue any further, I never said I hate Tata infact mentioned its positives and even my desire to own one soon, never called Maruti the "holy brand" infact I even mentioned that there are bad service centers for every brand our there Maruti included. Perhaps if I had mentioned my WagonR's shortcomings (of which there are many like its poor dynamic capabilities) then I would not be receiving so much flack from folks like you but that is just irrelevant and unnecessary.

Lol. Don't be sorry, Even Tata motors wouldn't be offended with your post. Trust me they have got you thinking about their product which is a big deal. The Tiago and Zest are amazing products and TML has proved that they can improve but nothing is perfect. I am sure the next zest/Tiago would be an improvement over the current cars and give us less things to complain about(zest still remains the best sub-4m family sedan for me). Hopefully Tata motors will take care of their QC and after-sales efficiently in the coming times. Now this is what you, me, a few others on the forum and a few people at TML hope happens. Fanboys are fanboys, best ignored because either they are unaware of the past and present or don't want to be aware of it. People need to realize that there are pros and cons associated with everything. Appreciate the pros and think about the cons, and then move on.

Last edited by asit.kulkarni93 : 22nd April 2016 at 11:46.
asit.kulkarni93 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2016, 12:42   #570
BHPian

Quote:
LOL dude read my post properly. There is no mine is better than yours mentality. I am merely being realistic. I quoted my WagonR as an example because it is the only car that I have driven similar kilometers in to point out that it isn't a maintenance hassle after 50k kms like Power Ranger had said it would be. I clearly mentioned the safari and manza's strengths as being their ride quality not their dynamic prowess as a correction to power rangers post that suggested they were the best cars to drive in their segments (if you think anything is wrong about that I am sorry). I am not bashing any brand here.
Most members here are passionate about their rides. We have taken due diligence and spent considerable amount of time and energy in selecting our individual cars. Painting us with a broad brush as 'fanboys' is what irked us.

Back to the topic of Tata Tiago:
Originally I wanted to buy Renault Kwid or maruti Celario as a replacement for my son's aging Ford Ikon. I checked out Kwid and Celario. Kwid appeared 'handsome' and 'modern'. But my son turned it down saying the engine was not peppy enough compared with his Ikon. Celario lacked certain features at that price point. Finally we ended up with Tiago which at a shade north of 5 L ticked all boxes.
Prowler is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks