Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd July 2016, 18:33   #916
BHPian

re: Tata Tiago : Official Review

My friend is interested in buying Tiago Petrol XZ variant. Went to Aadya Motors, Hebbal, Bangalore yesterday along with his family for the TD.
Must say I'm impressed with the interior quality of the car. Tata Motors seems to have taken feedback from Bolt/Zest seriously. Lot of storage space - which was big negative in Bolt/Zest. Multi-drive buttons are better accessible in Tiago than Bolt/Zest. Steering was just amazing to hold and the car was very easy to drive in traffic. We drove the petrol version and NVH levels were comparable to any other 3-pot engine car - not a big downer in my humble opinion. On the whole at this price point, its a very good VFM package. The suspension was just great; we rode on bad roads to check it out and the car handled it exceptionally well. Some folks in this thread have remarked about the poor low end torque in the petrol variant - but we were able to coast over some big speed breakers in 2nd gear without breaking sweat (with 4 adults in the car).

Delivery time quoted by SA was 8-10 weeks for the petrol variant. I asked SA on the number of bookings they have had so far. It seems for petrol they have about 75 bookings and even lesser for the diesel variant.
I'm still waiting for the first Ownership review at Team-BHP.
Old 3rd July 2016, 22:45   #917
BHPian

Finally I managed to TD Tiago XZ(revotron) today. I am planning to upgrade our aging 2010 Spark LS.

I think every little detail has already been mentioned in this thread but I will try to list my observation with respective to Spark. Tiago has pretty nice interiors for this segment and I was blown away by the audio quality of Harmon system. Spark LS felt bare bone in comparison with the bells and whistles present in the Tiago . Front seats are very good and they have decent under thigh support. Steering felt bit small and very light. Cabin felt pretty silent and there is not much engine noise as reported by others. Ride quality is pretty good and glides pretty well over the bumps. View from the driver seat is much better than low seating Spark. I may may be wrong, but I felt my spark is peppier than the Tiago. May be I didn't push it much. My main disappointment is lack of space at the back compared to Spark. Though seats are good, Spark felt much roomier and can seat 3 adults much comfortably than Tiago .

Tiago is honest attempt by Tata and I am really impressed by it. But I did not feel like an upgrade over Spark in engine and space department (which are important factors for upgrade).

Last edited by arun_kun : 3rd July 2016 at 22:51.
Old 4th July 2016, 14:49   #918
BHPian

Tiago Petrol AMT spied -

Image source : Autocar - http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...ch-402474.aspx
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Tiago : Official Review-tiago1.jpg  

Tata Tiago : Official Review-tiago2.jpg  

uday.ere is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 4th July 2016, 16:07   #919
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_kun View Post
My main disappointment is lack of space at the back compared to Spark. Though seats are good, Spark felt much roomier and can seat 3 adults much comfortably than Tiago .

Tiago is honest attempt by Tata and I am really impressed by it. But I did not feel like an upgrade over Spark in engine and space department (which are important factors for upgrade).
I'm quite surprised with the space assessment. I owned a Spark LT from 2008 to 2013, and it was not very comfortable for 3 medium sized adults abreast at the back. I have sat in the rear seat of the Tiago (in the showroom) and it did seem more spacious, though the relatively darker interiors may be playing a part. Your Spark must have the beige interiors so I'm not sure about perception.

The figures also seem to point to the Tiago being more spacious:

Width: 1647 (Tiago) vs 1495 (Spark)
Wheelbase: 2400 (Tiago) vs 2345 (Spark)
Height: 1535 (Tiago) vs 1518 (Spark - with roof rails)

The Spark's engine is quite peppy in city, and was quite drivable though she did struggle with a load or the AC on. I cannot comment on the Tiago because I haven't driven one yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uday.ere View Post
Tiago Petrol AMT spied -
All that was needed. Most of the comparative reviews mention that the Celerio does give the option of AMT, so good that Tata is plugging that gap as well. They should offer AMT with the diesel as well, as a key differentiator or USP.

Last edited by VeluM : 4th July 2016 at 16:10. Reason: Quote
VeluM is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th July 2016, 16:38   #920
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_kun View Post
I may may be wrong, but I felt my spark is peppier than the Tiago. May be I didn't push it much. My main disappointment is lack of space at the back compared to Spark. Though seats are good, Spark felt much roomier and can seat 3 adults much comfortably than Tiago .
Spark produces 61.18 PS @ 5400 rpm / 86.8 NM @ 4200 rpm as against Tiago's 85 PS @ 6000 RPM /114 Nm @ 3500 RPM. So Tiago is a shade peppier than Spark going by the specifications from the respective manufacturer's site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeluM View Post

The figures also seem to point to the Tiago being more spacious:

Width: 1647 (Tiago) vs 1495 (Spark)
Wheelbase: 2400 (Tiago) vs 2345 (Spark)
Height: 1535 (Tiago) vs 1518 (Spark - with roof rails)

The Spark's engine is quite peppy in city, and was quite drivable though she did struggle with a load or the AC on. I cannot comment on the Tiago because I haven't driven one yet.
We had Matiz a few years ago and Spark was derived from Matiz. Matiz was used by my son to college and invariably he would leave his car behind if he had to cart more than 2 people in the back seat.

I did a quick run to Pondicherry and back in Tiago. It is nimble and munches miles without breaking into a sweat. True - it has not completed the run in period yet. It has run hardly 750 km in this one month and I didn't push her beyond 90.
Old 4th July 2016, 16:46   #921
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I'm quite surprised with the space assessment. I owned a Spark LT from 2008 to 2013, and it was not very comfortable for 3 medium sized adults abreast at the back. I have sat in the rear seat of the Tiago (in the showroom) and it did seem more spacious, though the relatively darker interiors may be playing a part. Your Spark must have the beige interiors so I'm not sure about perception.

+1.

I have driven my friend's Spark LS extensively and found the engine to be very peppy at the lower end. That particular car had a very hard clutch and it used to be a handful to drive in heavy traffic. It was difficult to release the clutch slowly and the car would lurch forward very eagerly. This was with full AC and 2-4 people on board. On the other hand, the engine doesn't like to be revved hard. I haven't driven a Tiago and won't comment.

Coming to the space, I'm 6ft tall and had a tough time sitting in the car. The leg room was very poor when I sat on any of the front seats and there, I didn't have much space. 3 people (thin-medium built) in the rear seat was a punishment. I sat in a Tiago at a mall exhibition and was surprised by the interior and leg space on offer. Seating 3 might be a slight squeeze but seemed better than the Spark.
Old 4th July 2016, 17:11   #922
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Spark produces 61.18 PS @ 5400 rpm / 86.8 NM @ 4200 rpm as against Tiago's 85 PS @ 6000 RPM /114 Nm @ 3500 RPM. So Tiago is a shade peppier than Spark going by the specifications from the respective manufacturer's site.
The reason why Tiago may not feel peppier is Kerb weight

Spark : 840 kgs
Tiago : 1080 kgs

I haven't driven them , but just my observation.
Old 4th July 2016, 17:11   #923
BHPian

As pointed out by others, my observation might have been influenced by beige colour of spark to the all black interiors of Tiago. And the fact that back seats are not flat bench kind as found in spark.

As far engine goes, as said earlier I did not push as I TD'ed in traffic. And I still feel lower end torque of spark is better, may be because it weighs 150-200 kgs less. 3rd gear in spark is magical which almost works as AT in traffic 😂
Old 4th July 2016, 17:29   #924
Senior - BHPian

I have a 2009 Spark LT (beige interior - clocked ~ 87000 KM). Rear seat is OK for 3 average sized adults, Tiago also same but slightly better than Spark.
With AC on Spark struggle a bit inside the city.

Alto to Tiago - can be considered as an upgrade
Spark LT to Tiago - cannot be considered as an upgrade

Last edited by Latheesh : 4th July 2016 at 17:32.
Old 4th July 2016, 18:02   #925
Senior - BHPian

Here is a video I found showing grand Tiago delivery (More than 50). Most of the colors except berry red can be seen.

@mods - please merge with the above post
Latheesh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th July 2016, 11:39   #926
BHPian

Got a chance to sit in a Tiago today that a friend has purchased a couple of days back. First feeling sitting inside the cabin - brilliant, blown away! Didn't get a chance to drive it yet but would do so later today.

For its smaller length, I felt the car to be really spacious. I'm 5'8" and with the driver's seat pushed all the way behind, still managed to sit in the rear seat pretty comfortably. His is the top variant (petrol) and the features are very good for the price. Quality is top notch, plastic felt much better than any previous Tatas. Dashboard is very neatly done and the audio output is fantastic!

Just a couple of sour points that I observed - The car doesn't beep while locked using the remote lock, instead only the indicators go on & off. Second one is the centrally located cabin lighting. Not sure if it is bright enough but may not be an issue.

Lastly, the hand break felt to light to operate. Have never operated such a light hand brake in any of the previous cars I've driven. Though it is effortless to apply the hand brake, not sure if it is a good or bad thing.
Old 6th July 2016, 13:32   #927
BHPian

I will be writing a separate ownership thread later. Meanwhile our Tiago has been taken for the first service. Actually they called us for a ECU update which took about 30 minutes. After the ECU update, I could feel that the engine is quieter now than before. The engine vibration is almost imperceptible now.

All Tiagos are required to undergo this ECU updates and buyers have been advised to take their cars to Concorde for this.

Sorry about the poor image quality.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Tiago : Official Review-ecuupdate.jpg  

Prowler is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 6th July 2016, 13:45   #928
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vw19d View Post
Just a couple of sour points that I observed - The car doesn't beep while locked using the remote lock, instead only the indicators go on & off.
Most OEM central locking systems these days do not beep. Hyundais don't as far as I know (Elantra, Verna, Sonata) and neither do the cars of higher end brands. However a new i20 in my colony that uses the vehicle's horn when locking/unlocking - not sure if that is an after market setup.

Quote:
Lastly, the hand break felt to light to operate. Have never operated such a light hand brake in any of the previous cars I've driven. Though it is effortless to apply the hand brake, not sure if it is a good or bad thing.
The light hand brake seems to be a trait of the new Tatas. My Zest also has a superlight hand brake. It is a different feel that needs getting used to, but it is effective even on very steep inclines so I don't mind.
VeluM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2016, 14:31   #929
BHPian

Quote:
Most OEM central locking systems these days do not beep. Hyundais don't as far as I know (Elantra, Verna, Sonata) and neither do the cars of higher end brands. However a new i20 in my colony that uses the vehicle's horn when locking/unlocking - not sure if that is an after market setup.
The current gen VW cars also produces short horn twice while remote locking/ unlocking if I'm right. The lack of short horn or beep doesn't give me the confidence that the vehicle is locked. Maybe people will get used to seeing the indicators flashing over a period of time.

Quote:
The light hand brake seems to be a trait of the new Tatas. My Zest also has a superlight hand brake. It is a different feel that needs getting used to, but it is effective even on very steep inclines so I don't mind.
Good to hear that. If it is effective, not a worry at all.
Old 6th July 2016, 15:28   #930
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Just a couple of sour points that I observed - The car doesn't beep while locked using the remote lock, instead only the indicators go on & off. Second one is the centrally located cabin lighting. Not sure if it is bright enough but may not be an issue.
The OEM security systems in many cars are programmable and have the option of turning off the audio beep while locking and unlocking. I have such a thing in my WagonR. I have also seen 'silent' locking of quite a few Polo and Vento. May be you can check if such a thing is in place in the Tiago. If so, just turn on the audio warning.
Note: The alarms go off in case of intrusion even if we turn of the audio warning.

For the cabin light, replacing the bulb with an LED should improve matters.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks