Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th January 2017, 22:25   #1351
BHPian

Re: Tata Tiago : Official Review

After completing 10000+ Kms I can finally say that I am a happy customer.
Have faced no issues till date (touch wood) The car came into its own post 5000 KMS. It is zippy when required, no issues faced with TASS, I go to Aristo Motors in GGN and have found the service to be at par with a Ford or a Maruti.There is definitely a big needle movement in TASS.

My observations/ things to be addressed during the 15K service.
- Rattle noise from both front door windows (cant blame TATA) since the roads I drive on cannot be called roads (GGN)
- During cold starts (quite recently) the car misses sometimes
FE Recvd for the entire 10K run is 19.1 as per the display(This includes both highway and city running. City is 100% in ECO mode, Highways 100% in City mode) however Tankful to Tankful manual calculation shows a difference of -2 VS what is shown on the MID
Arkanile is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th January 2017, 07:16   #1352
Senior - BHPian

Nice to know that the car has been trouble free. I have heard from many Tiago owners that the engine feels more refined & zippy past 5k kms.

Yes, the MID is very optimistic, it shows 2 kmpl higher on Petrol & 3 kmpl on Diesel, when one calculates the FE by Tankful Method.

I have also faced the cold start issue, the car just doesn't feel smooth. It's very jerky. Even if you try to modulate clutch accordingly the jerks are still there.
CarguyNish is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th January 2017, 13:39   #1353

This is my first post on this forum and I'm really excited to be a part of this wonderful community !

First of all, I would like to thank TeamBHP for saving me from quite a big trouble. I have learnt a lot about cars from the forum. Below is my story on how the pre-registration checklist has saved me from getting a defective car.

I wanted to write an Ownership review of Tata Tiago, but instead ended up writing this. Here is my Tata Tiago experience:

We had an Alto for more than 8 years, and after 80,000+ Kms I thought it was time for a new family car !

This is when I started reading all the good things about Tata Tiago. I went through the entire official review thread and was thoroughly impressed. I took a test drive and was completely sold out to Tiago. Amazing drive, great interiors, Harman ICE, attention to very small details, and the price point was really tempting. Now came the task of convincing the family of buying a Tata car.

Having accomplished this, I booked a Tiago sunburst orange XZ petrol in Concorde motors, Mysore road. I was told it would take about a month to get the car delivered to me. To my surprise, in 2 weeks , I got a call from Sales Representative (SR) that my car has reached their stock yard and would be registered within a couple of days if I make the payment. Now having promised the delivery of Tiago, we sold our Alto to Cars24. It was a very smooth process and we got a good deal.

I insisted that I want to inspect the new car before I make full payment. The SR agreed to take me to their yard in Sarjapur road. Armed with TeamBHP pre-registration checklist, I was at the yard along with SR.

Concorde motors stock yard at Sarjapur road:

Tata Tiago : Official Review-img_20170105_161305.jpg

I was then taken to a Tiago and it was for me to inspect the car. First thing I noticed was the ill fitted rubber beading on front window. I was told this would be fixed before delivery.

Tata Tiago : Official Review-img_20170105_162312.jpg

The real shocker came when I was inspecting the exterior on the rear I let the pictures do the talking:

Tata Tiago : Official Review-img_20170105_165120.jpg
Tata Tiago : Official Review-img_20170105_170426.jpg
Tata Tiago : Official Review-img_20170105_165626.jpg

There was a clear inconsistency in paint job. Irregular surface finish, maybe due to error in spot welding ? It was easily visible for a reasonably tall person. I showed this to the SR and he in turn to the stock yard manager. Immediate reaction was to look for the same thing in other cars. None had this problem. Why TML? How did this pass your QA/QC? Now the SR and the yard manager had their discussions and I was told they could 'correct this'. I out-rightly rejected to take this car and went back home.

I shot off an angry email to Concorde motors manager who called me the next day.
I was offered 2 options:

1. " Sir we will work on the car to get it painted to your satisfaction. It will be robotic painting and factory like finish. You won't even notice. After all, we cannot scrap the car for this tiny issue "
Second option please

2. " Sir now this car is already invoiced in your name. If you do not want this particular car, I have to cancel the existing booking and re-do the entire procedure. This means you have to wait for a month. Maybe even longer since no production in December month end. We will try to do our best "

Now I was really pissed off. I will not be having a car for more than a month for no mistake of mine ! Who is to blame for this? The attitude of the dealer (Concorde motors) is that "This is not our problem sir. It came like this from the factory "
But aren't they supposed to be the face of Tata motors?

I now wrote an email explaining things to Tata motors customer care. I was asked for more details and I was given contact details of TML regional sales manager. By this time I was told by the dealer that he is doing all possible things to get my car and it would be delivered in a week.

Meanwhile, I called this TML regional sales manager to get his perspective from Tata point of view. Far from being apologetic, he even defended the dealer's suggestion. "So what? Our workshops in Bangalore are competent to carry out such paint jobs. You have to wait if you want a different car - you have to call the dealer ". This was his exact response. His tone and tenor had 'why is a customer calling me ?' written all over it.

I thought buying a new car would be a pleasant experience. I never knew what I would get into. It's been more than 3 weeks since we sold our old car, and no signs of Tiago yet. My wife now has the look "See, I told you not to go for a Tata car" The good thing is I have only paid a booking amount of 10,000 and the remaining amount of 6+ lakhs of DD is still with me.

I still haven't given up on Tiago yet !
Prashanth_mys is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 16th January 2017, 13:58   #1354
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prashanth_mys View Post
1. " Sir we will work on the car to get it painted to your satisfaction. It will be robotic painting and factory like finish. You won't even notice. After all, we cannot scrap the car for this tiny issue "
Second option please
Dont buy.

This is not a paint defect. It is a wrinkle in the side body outer panel during press work at the factory, during the earliest phase of manufacturing and is just not correctable by painting, robotic or not. Let me tell you what this guy will do:-

a.) Scrub the area, apply a putty on the fold area and paint. You may notice a slight bump here.

OR

b.) Scrub the area, grind the fold with a handheld grinding wheel, flatten the area. Be the need perform minor welding work and regrind the weld bead to a smooth finish. Apply putty and repaint the area, robotic or otherwise. In this approach you wont notice anything as long as its a proper paint job.

The car wont have any mechanical issues in either approaches or even if you don't do anything and take delivery.

But heck, why accept a substandard car in the first place!

Last edited by aditya79india : 16th January 2017 at 13:59.
aditya79india is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 16th January 2017, 15:12   #1355
BHPian

Quote:

Second option please
As Aditya said, don't buy this car. This is not a paint job defect. It's a clear wrinkle in the sheet metal. Ask them whether they would take a part of the payment in cash in new 500/2000 Rs note which would be torn but taped and they wouldn't know whether the notes are torn. You are paying them in full, and you are entitled to a perfect car on day 0. Another months' wait is not much. You can also check with other dealers.

I am a 9-year-old Tata customer and I can assure you that Tata does try to solve the problem to a large extent but you would get this attitude from their regional sales manager or higher ups. They wouldn't care much. Although their regional after-sales-service group is slightly better.

Last edited by ambujlal : 16th January 2017 at 15:15.
ambujlal is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th January 2017, 15:43   #1356
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Far from being apologetic, he even defended the dealer's suggestion. "So what? Our workshops in Bangalore are competent to carry out such paint jobs. You have to wait if you want a different car - you have to call the dealer ". This was his exact response. His tone and tenor had 'why is a customer calling me ?' written all over it.

I thought buying a new car would be a pleasant experience. I never knew what I would get into. It's been more than 3 weeks since we sold our old car, and no signs of Tiago yet. My wife now has the look "See, I told you not to go for a Tata car" The good thing is I have only paid a booking amount of 10,000 and the remaining amount of 6+ lakhs of DD is still with me.

Welcome to Team BHP, and like the others before me, I would advise you to stay away from this car.

Heck, with this attitude from the Tata Manager, I would ask you to look elsewhere. There's no shortage of options in India and there's no reason for you to stick with a brand that is not focusing on excellence in product quality and customer service.

You have rightly asked how did this car get through QA? Now, go a step further and ponder whether this is only a one off or is it suggestive of the company and its processes (or lack thereof). Look at the Liva and the Polo for safe cars, and Figo, Baleno etc... if you want more options.

All the best in your quest for a new car, and hope you don't compromise!!!
Lalvaz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th January 2017, 15:50   #1357
BHPian

Quote:
I agree with aditya, this is not a paint defect but a sheet metal defect. You should refuse to take this car.
Also, there was a defective or ill fitting beading that you found out. You can never know if the sheet metal in that area was also defective but painted over.
Enobarbus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th January 2017, 16:32   #1358

I am definitely not going to buy this defective car !

Lessons learnt from this experience:

1. Do your own PDI, and do it before you make the full payment. Look around for the tiniest of things (The yard manager could never notice this defect without climbing on a stool !) Do not believe your car dealer on this aspect.

2. Never sell your existing car until you have your new car physically delivered. I have learnt this the hard way !

I will wait and see how things turn out. Of the 1 month delay, more than 10 days have already passed. Of course I can always cancel the booking, but I want this to be the last option.
Prashanth_mys is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th January 2017, 17:07   #1359
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is my first post on this forum and I'm really excited to be a part of this wonderful community !...

The real shocker came when I was inspecting the exterior on the rear I let the pictures do the talking:

There was a clear inconsistency in paint job. Irregular surface finish, maybe due to error in spot welding ? It was easily visible for a reasonably tall person. I showed this to the SR and he in turn to the stock yard manager. Immediate reaction was to look for the same thing in other cars. None had this problem. Why TML? How did this pass your QA/QC? ...
Second option please

2. " Sir now this car is already invoiced in your name. If you do not want this particular car, I have to cancel the existing booking and re-do the entire procedure. This means you have to wait for a month. Maybe even longer since no production in December month end. We will try to do our best "

Now I was really pissed off. I will not be having a car for more than a month for no mistake of mine ! Who is to blame for this? The attitude of the dealer (Concorde motors) is that "This is not our problem sir. It came like this from the factory "

I now wrote an email explaining things to Tata motors customer care. I was asked for more details and I was given contact details of TML regional sales manager. By this time I was told by the dealer that he is doing all possible things to get my car and it would be delivered in a week.

Meanwhile, I called this TML regional sales manager to get his perspective from Tata point of view. Far from being apologetic, he even defended the dealer's suggestion. "So what? Our workshops in Bangalore are competent to carry out such paint jobs. You have to wait if you want a different car - you have to call the dealer ". This was his exact response. His tone and tenor had 'why is a customer calling me ?' written all over it...

Welcome.

Reject this car, if possible please share the VIN number here such that no other unsuspecting person falls prey to this dealer.

If it's a weld defect, the structural integrity of the car comes into question.

This bad QC and indifferent attitude from Tata Motors is worrying, but for your vigilence the dealer would've pushed it.
GrammarNazi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th January 2017, 00:27   #1360
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...There was a clear inconsistency in paint job...Now the SR and the yard manager had their discussions and I was told they could 'correct this'. I out-rightly rejected to take this car and went back home.

I shot off an angry email to Concorde motors manager who called me the next day.
I was offered 2 options:

1. " Sir we will work on the car to get it painted to your satisfaction. It will be robotic painting and factory like finish. You won't even notice...

2. ...If you do not want this particular car, I have to cancel the existing booking and re-do the entire procedure...

...The attitude of the dealer (Concorde motors) is that "This is not our problem sir. It came like this from the factory "
But aren't they supposed to be the face of Tata motors?...
Could you tell me what's your expectation from the dealer on this issue? Also, what exactly is the dealer's mistake in getting this car (in their inventory)?

They have offered two options which are in their control. If you want a car immediately, please check for another color or check with other dealers for the same color.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 17th January 2017 at 00:29.
swiftnfurious is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 17th January 2017, 04:53   #1361
Senior - BHPian

I wonder what kind of QC is performed on the car when it leaves the factory floor. Even though this is a minor defect and will in no away affect the everyday usage of the car, this is unpardonable for QC at TML which are trying to build their brand and everyone from engineers to the product planners have a terrific product out. The management at TML should ask tough questions from QC head.
extreme_torque is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th January 2017, 06:27   #1362
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Meanwhile, I called this TML regional sales manager to get his perspective from Tata point of view. Far from being apologetic, he even defended the dealer's suggestion. "So what? Our workshops in Bangalore are competent to carry out such paint jobs. You have to wait if you want a different car - you have to call the dealer ". This was his exact response. His tone and tenor had 'why is a customer calling me ?' written all over it.
The dealer's and most importantly the sales manager attitude is more than enough for me to walk out of the brand. If you are still adamant on buying the Tiago, please do not be in haste and buy the defective car. But, honestly if you ask me, I would just collect my booking amount and walk out for good.
PS- about being without a car, i too was in the same situation, without a car for 3 months. Heavily relied on my bike and Uber.

Last edited by rakesh_r : 17th January 2017 at 06:29.
rakesh_r is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th January 2017, 11:36   #1363

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Could you tell me what's your expectation from the dealer on this issue? Also, what exactly is the dealer's mistake in getting this car (in their inventory)?

I expected the following from the dealer:
  • To own up to the problem, and not just brush it away saying this is a minor paint job to be fixed.
  • To escalate this issue to Tata motors higher authorities pointing out the serious lapse at their end. And letting me know that he has done this.
  • To call up Tata motors dealer network in the city, maybe nearby cities to source the car with same color and variant, and not follow the standard procedure of fresh booking and letting the customer wait for a month.

Maybe my expectations are too high !

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
Welcome.

Reject this car, if possible please share the VIN number here such that no other unsuspecting person falls prey to this dealer.
Here is the chassis number of the car we are talking about: MAT626281GKP52016

Last edited by Prashanth_mys : 17th January 2017 at 11:51.
Prashanth_mys is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th January 2017, 11:59   #1364
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
  • To own up to the problem, and not just brush it away saying this is a minor paint job to be fixed.
  • To escalate this issue to Tata motors higher authorities pointing out the serious lapse at their end. And letting me know that he has done this.
  • To call up Tata motors dealer network in the city, maybe nearby cities to source the car with same color and variant, and not follow the standard procedure of fresh booking and letting the customer wait for a month.

Maybe my expectations are too high !

I do not have the VIN number, but here is the chassis number of the car we are talking about: MAT626281GKP52016
To give you a perspective, I have faced similar behavior from Nexa folks when I was there to take delivery for my friend's Baleno. There were minor scratches on the front and rear bumper. When I pointed them out during PDI, the SA said these are routine scratches during transportation and they will apply some polish, it won't be visible. But I insisted that they were deep and a simple polish won't work and I want a different car. To this he replied, they don't have any other car available. If I am very adamant then he will ask the next person in line to take the car as it is very high in demand. He can't promise me the dates for another car, it can be 1-2 months more or less.
Since my friend was excited about the car and wasn't inclined to wait, he chose to ignore the small scratches and take the delivery.

In this case, the defect is very prominent/glaring.

Last edited by ashis89 : 17th January 2017 at 11:59. Reason: Spell check
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2017, 12:29   #1365
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Quote:
Maybe my expectations are too high
I agree with your expectations and these are not unreasonable and are valid in my opinion. We also represent an MNC and in such cases take ownership of defects and settle later on with our Principals. They should have found you a fresh car but on contrary, they are trying best to sell the one with a defect. I am sure they will ultimately sell this to an unsuspecting customer.
I remember my experience in Canada couple of Years back, there was paint job to cover a small chip on the bumper and I was clearly told and made to sign acceptance & they gave me a set of 4 winter tyres as a goodwill gesture.

At the expense of getting wrath from moderators, the kind of stuff TATA have used on gaskets just shows the state of affairs at TATA. I am no master in rubbers but the quality looks very bad and sooner or later these will get cracks all over.

I am not aware of Tiago costs but do check FORD Figo if it's in your ballpark range.
Turbanator is online now   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks