Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 13th January 2016, 14:16   #121
BHPian

re: Tata Tiago : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theyota View Post
It is a myth that Maruti or Hyundai has better after sales service.

Most of the dealers make huge profits from after sales services. And they're always ready to rip you off.
Sorry for being off topic. But my experience with Hyundai has not been that smooth. My service center tried to charge me twice for Engine Oil. I20 needs 3.6 liter engine oil for 1.2 petrol engine. Dealer tried to charge me for 7.2 liter. On pointing it out, service adviser said, it was mistake by operator. The worst part is, it happened twice. So I was wondering how many customers verify their bills and are aware of this. Anyway point is, irrespective of manufacturer whoever it is, we as customers need to be on our toes to get good service.

I feel Tatas are doing good job by offering Gold/Silver AMC packages on their cars. Hope Zica will also get initial offer like Zest of having free AMC for three years.
Old 13th January 2016, 15:16   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
While at it, is there any particular manner in which you would review the feedback posted on Tata Vs brands like Maruti/Honda etc to make a comment that TASS is sub par ? Reason I am asking is, I see a lot of cribs around Honda/Hyundai. I see many REAL OWNERS of Tata also put in feedback about decent service. So I wonder how you arrive at those conclusions in the reviews. Do you also consider the JD POWER survey results by any chance ?
Valid questions. Another one I would like to add is, would it make sense to re-evalulate these perceptions from time to time so as to present the viewers with up-to-date data?

Consider these:

• Concerns over long-term reliability, more so of the freshly developed engines
• Tata's sub-par after-sales service is far from that of Maruti & Hyundai

These are just someone's guesses that should either find no place or put differently. Don't take it wrong, it's just that it spoils an otherwise honest review. I come to team-bhp because I want facts, nothing more or less. FWIW, I don't recall seeing a similar statement on Honda's new engine in the Amaze, which is fine in my opinion.
prakash_ajp is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th January 2016, 15:55   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakash_ajp View Post
• Concerns over long-term reliability, more so of the freshly developed engines
• Tata's sub-par after-sales service is far from that of Maruti & Hyundai
This is the reason why I could not convince my bro about buying zest, though he is very much in to automobiles for a long time. Missed a fantastic chance of owning top end revotron for ~7 lakh on road in Bangalore.
Girish
girishv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2016, 17:13   #124
BHPian

A lot of times, I too raised the same concerns about mentioning "poor after sales service" and I always said its NOT "poor", but its "inconsistent". I am sure, the same inconsistency prevails in other brands too, but may not be to the extent of TATA's.
I hope, the MODS now understand what we really mean.
We are NOT just "biased" with TML, but have some real intention here to keep up the reputation of team-bhp review in all other aspects.

BTW, I believe, its the same case with M&M reviews as well.

Prem.
kaviprem is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 13th January 2016, 20:28   #125
BHPian

Looking at the KUV made me realize how elegant the Zica is. It looks like an european car and will delight the customers. Every curve has been well thought of. I really hope this one succeeds. Yes, ASS is what keeps most people away, but I don't think this one would need to visit the ASS outside the scheduled services.
Nissan1180 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2016, 01:00   #126
BHPian

Guys,
(kaviprem, carbhaari, girishv, prakash_ajp, Theyota, Pferdestarke and the others who posted - sorry for not multi-quoting - the long quotes could risk an infarction)
You will sprain your fingers typing about this but this will not change.

Go have a look at the Bolt thread - similar discussion ran into 4 pages. With so many quotes and multi-quotes and references from other threads.
Entire discussion was categorically shut down.
Similar discussion on the Nano thread.

Heck - a full dedicated thread on Tata and it's reliability - 14 pages long, with so many actual owners coming forth and significant conclusive discussions done ... still no change in the 'cons' listed.

Engine Reliability
So test mules have covered 2 lakh + kms on Indian roads (even witnessed a bad accident and lived to tell the tale) - but these get no mention, but new Honda engines (not tested in India that extensively and built from scratch too) - get no such comment or even a fine print in the cons section.
(Safe to assume that it is inherently believed that Indian engineers and technology can never match Japanese and their counterparts - sad!) [side note - Indian engineers created designs that lead to a whooping 37 patents during the creation of the Nano and it's engine - just FYI - to those who did not question NEW Japanese (both Honda & Suzuki) engines] But the Japanese engines which were not extensively tested on Indian roads - had their air intake placed too low for comfort and many Brio owners suffered the brunt of this design flaw - thread available on Team BHP itself.
But hey, that's Honda - so that's allowed.
Honda, Hyundai, Toyota, Ford - everyone recalls cars because of flaws. Till date not happened with Tata. But again, that doesn't account for anything. (Integrity? Consistency? Commitment to the Indian consumer?)

Indian Consumer & sales figures
Inconsistent gaps and shut lines with a naked boot and dangling wires in a Honda City - and it will be a Best Seller. But the same won't apply if it's a Tata.
Why - broad Indian product mentality. Discerning few like us on Team BHP can keep writing all we want, but sales figures still don't budge. We can vote Zest to be a COTY - who knows maybe even the Zica might be a COTY, or the upcoming 'Osprey' - but the stigma will not be taken away from the 'TATA' brand that easily. There's no denying, TATA themselves put themselves in this position. But such words and statements are definitely not helping their STRONG efforts or correcting their mistake. Which - FRANKLY - spells GOOD NEWS for consumers, whether you buy a Tata product or not !
Like any boxing match, the boxers suffer the blows - but the audience is always entertained. When TATA tries this hard to up it's game - it only ensures that others don't get complacent and bring in newer products, pay closer attention to the Indian consumers (US! - for crying out loud) and offer more bang for our buck! If anything, we should only be cheering them more and more to try and perform better and better. No matter what their sales figures (trying to portray a purely selfish narrow minded perspective here) - WE STILL WIN ... (here We = Indian consumers and not the Indian companies or India as a nation)

Sub-Par sales & service or Gamble ?
But yes, one thing that even I would protest is the use of the word 'SUB-PAR' in the service category. This line was earlier listed as a 'GAMBLE' - which was still acceptable.
Going by the Nano GenX thread, Zest thread and the Bolt thread - where the owners have listed out their respective experiences pan India on Team BHP - one would be inclined to change add a "seems to be improving" next to the GAMBLE bit (even if one is a cynic) - but definitely it CANNOT be deteriorated further to 'SUB-PAR'.
Sub-par is when I pay a higher than market price for a car from a GLOBALLY established, age old, highly reputed premium brand like Skoda and VW and get treated as bad as some distinguished BHPians have. THAT becomes 'SUB PAR'.
When you have a home grown brand, relatively young in the market, constantly improving at every level - and you don't have to go by their marketing propoganda (non-existent, they don't blow trumpets - everyone knows that) - you go by the ACTUAL owners talking on this very forum - definitely it can't be listed as sub-par. MORE SO - when you are THE one & only TEAM BHP. Where each and every word counts. Where your language, your syntax get the same attention to the detail as the cars you review. When you have this strong a reader base and fan base, definitely the responsibility of using the right words increases.
In the last 1 year (from the Zest and the Bolt) - where the Cons included the 'GAMBLE' line - we do not have a bulk of incidences reported that warrant the use of the word 'SUB-PAR'. In the few incidences reported of minor dissatisfaction, senior management has stepped in and ensured that things have been sorted in the customer's favour. Where as at the same time senior management has not cared two hoots about customers from Renault, Hyundai, VW & Skoda (to name a few threads I read on Team BHP - off hand).
One more thing, I know MARKETING is also part of sales. TATA has been poor at marketing. Definitely. But they have not used under-hand marketing, or false media reports - they have kept trying something new - Test Drive key for Zest in newspaper, Card swipe for Bolt, Online selling of Nano, 7 senses and Zica perfumes and chocolates - most of it didn't hit well. But sales is NOT just about Marketing, right? Or is it?

Now I very strongly agree to those who say that it depends dealer to dealer - and so many contrasting reports of different dealers of the same brand are found on Team BHP (only a few shine through - be it Ferrari, Porsche, Mercedes, Tata, Honda or Hyundai)
I know a Team BHPian who felt so 'ill treated' in the PREMIUM NEXA - that he cancelled his booking!
Given their sales records, has TATA really managed to have that many NEW DEALERS in the last one year? I don't think so.
So what have they done, tightened the screws on all of them and TRY to improve the experience at the existing ones. If anything they have only opened up more 'Concorde' sales & service outlets. So how did the 'Gamble' become 'Sub-par' ?
Again, I am not pushing to say - that change the GAMBLE to WOW - no, that is not the case yet. Being realistic, they still have some work to do there. Just because I get awesome service from Tata Motors at Concorde, Worli - doesn't necessarily mean EVERYONE does. (by the way, has any one read about the new feedback system a Nano user has posted on the Nano thread - real nice move by Tata). So, it definitely is not fair to say EXCELLENT service yet, you can stick to Gamble if you wish - but there definitely isn't any justification to demoting that Gamble to 'SUB PAR' (even if you consider the VFM factor of the price of the car upfront, the spares, the AMC (!) )
There's a difference. It was a Gamble, it may still be a Gamble. But it has not deteriorated to 'sub-par'. S2!!! asked to share good experiences, there are PLENTY being shared recently on the Zest, Nano GenX, Bolt & even old Manza thread.

Clarification
I would have mentioned this in my earlier posts, but I had a deja vu of the Bolt thread almost a year ago. And thought it would be futile. Plus, since no one was mentioning it - I thought maybe I am the only one who things this is wrong. Looking at the strong support and more so mentions from people having experienced Maruti, Hyundai, Honda - first hand (NON-TATA fan boys) - I think it is just fair then that this be brought to the notice of TEAM BHP - ONCE AGAIN - all in the spirit of 2 things:
1. To ensure that the forum continues it's reputation of being fair and unbiased (and keep cheering - as mentioned above)
2. To ensure that we as a community don't become unpatriotic by singling out a home grown manufacturer and look down upon homeland talent (reference to the engineers mentioned above)

P.S. - Disclaimer - as mentioned by me on few other threads, this time, after turning down the Nano GenX - I was genuinely considering the Hyundai Grand i10 (heck, even the i20) - but decided to wait it out for the Kite. So, in all fairness, I DID look beyond a Tata, and this post should not be considered biased.

P.P.S. - If at the end of all this - TATA & Mayank Pareek gauge the market wrong and price the Zica wrongly - they they deserve to get what's coming - and I will NOT be blindly buying the Zica - just because it is Tata or just because I liked the looks. I will go back to drawing board and re-evaluate all the options at hand from scratch (which might still end up being Grand i10 or the Nano GenX - but who knows what else will launch till then)

Last edited by Dr.Suraj : 14th January 2016 at 01:11. Reason: To try and keep the paragraph etc. upto the high standards that this forum adheres to.
Dr.Suraj is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 14th January 2016, 01:49   #127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
I won't deny that what you're saying is true but at the same time, it is our job to list out all the macro level positives and negatives of a product. A new buyer needs to know everything that he needs to be looking out for while making a purchase. If we call Toyota's, Maruti's, Hyundai's and Honda's ownership experience fuss-free, it is based on real ownership experiences. Sure, there will be exceptions, but after sales service is a part of the overall ownership experience and it is worthy of a mention here. If you or your acquaintances have had good experience with the Tata service, do share it on the forum from time to time.
S2, Adding another perspective. Lets say if the ASS improved dramatically to EXCELLENT over the next one year and if a new customer comes to Team BHP review at that time to read out the review, is it not unfair to leave an item in the con list which may not be in sync with the market situation then? Will we be editing the review then?

I wanted to do a detailed post on this, unfortunately I'll be away from my desk for next two days and all the guys already shared the points beautifully without going overboard.

My experience says that Hyundai has one of worst sales experience. (Not ASS). I had left my number three times with three different dealers when Creta was launched. No callback. That's at least ok for a successful launch. I had gone with a friend to check out Eon for him few days ago and also quoted my Creta experience to the SA. Still no callback for the promised test drive of Eon 1.0L. We already heard numerous Nexa experiences on the Nexa thread.

Doesn't pre sale experience count too?

I know we are going off topic with this. So I'll stop at that and will see if we can continue discussing on this in another thread (probably how reviews happen thread)

Last edited by mrbaddy : 14th January 2016 at 01:59.
Old 14th January 2016, 03:19   #128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Suraj View Post
Guys,
(kaviprem, carbhaari, girishv, prakash_ajp, Theyota, Pferdestarke and the others who posted - sorry for not multi-quoting - the long quotes could risk an infarction)

Engine Reliability
So test mules have covered 2 lakh + kms on Indian roads (even witnessed a bad accident and lived to tell the tale) - but these get no mention, but new Honda engines (not tested in India that extensively and built from scratch too) - get no such comment or even a fine print in the cons section.
(Safe to assume that it is inherently believed that Indian engineers and technology can never match Japanese and their counterparts - sad!)

Indian Consumer & sales figures
Inconsistent gaps and shut lines with a naked boot and dangling wires in a Honda City - and it will be a Best Seller. But the same won't apply if it's a Tata.

Sub-Par sales & service or Gamble ?
But yes, one thing that even I would protest is the use of the word 'SUB-PAR' in the service category. This line was earlier listed as a 'GAMBLE' - which was still acceptable.
Passionately written post Sir However you might be a little dramatic about the whole indian vs japanese thing. Honda has been screwing up a little lately, while reliability is naturally still awesome being Japanese, quality of Honda products in particular does seem to have taken a slight dip but definitely not as bad as Tata products have been in terms of quality. They might have tested and logged more miles and hours with their vehicles in India but there are still many horror stories regarding the Aria, there was even a thread on the forum somewhere where the owner of a Xenon (pretty basic, functional, and down to earth in its purpose kind of vehicle) had his bonnet fly open and shatter the windscreen while driving on the highway, many quality concerns with the interiors of the Bolt and Zest and even in this review of the Zica, while it must be said that one can visibly see a change in quality there are still several inconsistencies. For example, find me a single image of a Zica test car, where the shadowline running below the waist along the profile of the car, is not misaligned between the fenders and doors. Tata is (there is no doubt about this) not yet there in terms of the quality and reliability.

Agree with you about the after sales service aspect. Tata has actually improved considerably in this area and I'd say it is quite average. I also think that Tata has improved considerably in terms of quality and reliability but please don't bother taking the fight to the Japanese mate. Atleast not just yet

Last edited by IshaanIan : 14th January 2016 at 03:28.
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2016, 05:39   #129
Senior - BHPian

I wonder why Tata did not just go ahead and use the 1.3 multijet engine for the Zica. That engine is refined, tried and tested for reliability, performance and fuel efficiency. So why work on a new engine, spend time, money and resources and then come out with an inferior motor? Of course cost could be a concern but using 1.3 mad would have meant no developmental costs to begin with and economies of scale due to sheer numbers.

I am not for a moment saying that they should not design their own engines but a business case should be made. It makes much more sense for Tata to lets say work on a 3.0 litre diesel engine for Safari and their utility vehicles. I can not seem to fathom the logic.
Old 14th January 2016, 10:22   #130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
I wonder why Tata did not just go ahead and use the 1.3 multijet engine for the Zica. That engine is refined, tried and tested for reliability, performance and fuel efficiency. So why work on a new engine, spend time, money and resources and then come out with an inferior motor? Of course cost could be a concern but using 1.3 mad would have meant no developmental costs to begin with and economies of scale due to sheer numbers.

I am not for a moment saying that they should not design their own engines but a business case should be made. It makes much more sense for Tata to lets say work on a 3.0 litre diesel engine for Safari and their utility vehicles. I can not seem to fathom the logic.
I feel Tata wants to stop using Fiat engines in the future. Reportedly, they are also developing a new 1.5L diesel engine for the Nexon. Once that's out, they may ditch the 1.3 MJD from their lineup altogether.

As for as the 1.0L engine on the Zica, the review seems to suggest that it's decent. In fact, they are rating it better compared to the competition (Celerio and Grandi10), if I am not wrong.
safari_lover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2016, 10:24   #131
Senior - BHPian

Tata Zica review is excellent. Gives a very in depth insight regarding the machine.

1) The placement of headlight adjustment light stalks is extremely useful. In my Swift/Innova/Wagon R or most of the cars, adjusting the lights is difficult in the dark. This placement must be followed by others also. Very simple, but very effective.

2) Availability of adjustable intermittent wiper timing is also a welcome move. Even my Swift does not have it. This is very useful, practical feature. Lets hope Maruti and Hyundai implement this in their smaller cars ( Elite i20 has it IIRC ). Cars like Wagon R, Celerio, Eon, Grand i10 can have this feature. Atleast on top two variants.

3) As a package, Zica is very practical for a first time car buyer. Strong package for its segment, interior quality seems good which can make first time car buyers feel that their money is well spent. And for future upgrades, they will certainly give preference to Tata products.

4) New engines are welcome, Tata is working really hard and the way they are improving quality overall makes me respect them more. For a small, primarily city car, I dont think bigger motors are required.

5) Car looks very good for me atleast. Fit and Finish have gone up. Excellent work Tata.

All in all, Tata once again makes us all proud IMO by developing a new product which can keep its head high among global gaints.

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
I wonder why Tata did not just go ahead and use the 1.3 multijet engine for the Zica. That engine...conomies of scale due to sheer numbers.

I am not for a moment ... I can not seem to fathom the logic.
May be to have product differentiation, to have low car retail cost, better FE and though I am not aware of Tata's contract for the 1.3 Diesel, may be they are paying royalties ?
The new engine means they have gained experience and secured its own future for next 5-7 years as 4-cylinder version of these motors could be powering new small cars and compact SUV's Tata could have in pipeline.

Tata is just reducing dependency on 1.3 which is now a must do for also Maruti IMO. I do trust Tata for their motor designs. Remember Indica Petrol ? Tata tested it with Kerosene to replicate the fuel adulteration. Who does that ?

Last edited by aaggoswami : 14th January 2016 at 10:26.
aaggoswami is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th January 2016, 13:38   #132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Passionately written post Sir However you might be a little dramatic about the whole indian vs japanese thing. Honda has been screwing up a little lately, while reliability is naturally still awesome being Japanese, quality of Honda products in particular does seem to have taken a slight dip but definitely not as bad as Tata products have been in terms of quality.
Agree with you about the after sales service aspect. Tata has actually improved considerably in this area and I'd say it is quite average. I also think that Tata has improved considerably in terms of quality and reliability but please don't bother taking the fight to the Japanese mate. Atleast not just yet
Making a conscious effort to NOT go off-topic here.

Just 2 points

1. Engine and reliability of a NEW engine - Have a look if you can find any such statement in the Kwid Review & the Celerio Diesel Review (both new engines from scratch)

2. Sales & service - Notice the statement and tone used for the Renault (A.S.S.) - viz-a-viz the tone used for the Tata (A.S.S.) - which is not justified since there is no evidence to degrade it further from the 'gamble' during the Bolt & Zest review to sub-par.
Head on head - Tata still has a wider sales & service network than Renault and it's not that there are no horror stories with Renault.
So Skoda, VW, Renault - don't get called as 'sub-par' - even though they are international manufacturers, with more repute and experience in the automobile sector, but Tata gets called sub-par (ONLY TATA).
I am absolutely fine calling them a Gamble - and wholly agree that they must prove themselves and rise higher. But nothing justifies this bias, prejudice and unexplained demotion on a forum like Team BHP.
Dr.Suraj is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 14th January 2016, 15:12   #133
BANNED

Tata Motors will be reborn this month with a curvaceous hatchback far removed from the low-cost, boxy models often associated with taxis, kicking off an image-centred strategy for a brand with newly global aspirations.
Here is the details from Bangalore Edition Deccan Herald.http://www.deccanherald.com/content/...e-rebirth.html
Old 14th January 2016, 16:27   #134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Just 2 points

1. Engine and reliability of a NEW engine - Have a look if you can find any such statement in the Kwid Review & the Celerio Diesel Review (both new engines from scratch)

2. Sales & service - ...
Thanks for that effort there is no need to bring up Sales and Service again as I have already mentioned that I fully agree with you in this regard Also, if you read my post carefully you will see that I am trying to explain why such comments about quality and reliability are posted about a Tata product. No point in asking why people dont ask the same about a Suzuki or Honda or Nissan simply because the Japanese were literally the first to make reliable cars and apart from a few lemons, they still stand for superior reliability infact to suddenly question it may be a little odd. Panel gaps, part failure etc. may exist in other cars but not as bad as they are displayed in Tata products. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...-now-what.html
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...n-highway.html how can such a basic component like the bonnet on what is meant to be a rugged and uncomplicated pickup, fly open on smooth tarmac?

Quote:
Honda, Hyundai, Toyota, Ford - everyone recalls cars because of flaws. Till date not happened with Tata. But again, that doesn't account for anything. (Integrity? Consistency? Commitment to the Indian consumer?)
Please don't be naive enough to suggest that recalls indicate how reliable a product is. Recalls simply indicate how big a manufacturer's conscience is. After listing numerous horror stories on the Aria, bonnet flying open instances etc. it ought to be punishable that Tata never issued a recall or even offered any support to the affected customers.

Please know that I have also previously posted here sharing my love of the Zica but that does not exempt it from quite frankly justifiable questions about its reliability and quality being a Tata. You and due to the large population we have, several other owners, may have a decent experiences with your Tata products but it simply doesn't mean that flaws don't exist.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 14th January 2016 at 16:33.
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2016, 18:27   #135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not against TATA, but since this is going on since last two pages, let me put up my opinions

Regarding reliability, the Aria and the Safari are quite old now. They have enough customer feedback to know the issues with the cars, more so because these cost a million. I am not even bringing the Indica and the Vista into the picture. Still, the issues continue with the newer Safari's & Storme's.

The After Sales can be a mixed bag depending on the dealer operating it, same as the case with other manufacturers, but when the product it self has issues, I am not sure how much the after sales can help.
A very renowned dealership, B.U. Bhandari in Pune, gave up on their Tata/Fiat dealership and took up the low selling (at that time) VW instead. And the reasons were
a. Product itself which had issues all the time.
b. The high handedness of the Safari owners (most were owned by politically connected, here in MH)

Let me tell you, BUB used to do a very good job as an A.S.S.

So it will not be unfair to make those statements, as have been highlighted in the "what you wont like" part. The only considerable improvement seen is in the Bolt/Zest but these are newer. I hope the Zica will continue on the same path.

After all, "PERCEPTION" developed over the years is what makes or breaks a brand, and Tata has themselves to blame for the perception they have hanging on them. They are going in the right direction (with BOlt & Zest) but I see it is too early to say "everything has been cleared out" and bring them on par with the Maruti/Hyundai.

Not Yet.

It is easy & quick to change and bring improved products, but difficult and very time consuming to change the Perception for the better.

Last edited by vinit.merchant : 14th January 2016 at 18:33.

Most Viewed