Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2016, 23:39   #511
BHPian

re: Tata Tiago : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by djay434 View Post

My current dilemma is which car to book. Tiago ticks ALL the boxes but I just can’t seem to get myself around the fact that its AC is simply not effective and if I buy this car every time I sit, drive and look at it, I’ll be reminded of the sub-par performance of the AC but the sweat drop on my brow.
I test drove the Tiago on sunday afternoon with temperatures touching 40deg and found the AC super effective at blower speed 1. I had even commented to the SA accompanying me how TATA cars have such good AC systems which are perfect for Indian summers. Since in your test drives you found that blower throw to be less at even level 2, it could be one of the reasons for the bad cooling. Try checking the cars other than the demo vehicles.

Most of the people who test drove the Tiago have commented on the noisy blower sound even at level 1. I had a similar experience and happened to take a video on the day I took the test drive. I shot this while starting a display Tiago parked in the open and if you observe at the 50sec mark I turned on the AC with blower speed at 1. The blower was loud enough to drown the engine sound.

Last edited by damodar : 14th April 2016 at 00:03.
damodar is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 14th April 2016, 22:00   #512
BHPian

Went to Concorde motors Chennnai and for a change it was nice to see the showroom buzzing with activity. Both petrol and diesel demo cars were continuously engaged during my 45 minute stay.
Test drove petrol version and was mightily impressed, but bad that sales guys whom I interacted with were clueless.
One senior guy mentioned that close to 200 cars have booked, numbers seemed realistic going by crowd at the showroom.
In two minds about booking the car (none of the reasons to do with the car itself), but color options aren't impressive. Orange is already overexposed, saw grey and blue color, not to our liking. Red - haven't seen the car in this color, if it is the same one as bolt then it may suit well.
Decisions. Decisions. Decisions.
tifosikrishna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2016, 08:35   #513
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pallavi_sgi View Post
We are upgrading from a Maruti 800 too and test drove the Tiago twice. Did not find the AC bad at all. In fact it was quite a chiller. We were pretty happy with it. This is in Mumbai (Thane) at around 11 am and 3 pm. Must have been late 30s or about 40 degrees at the 3 pm ride.

Have booked the petrol car but cannot decide on a colour. Everyone in the house has a different preference. Would like to see the Blue one in person but not available in Thane to see.
Quote:
Originally Posted by damodar View Post
I test drove the Tiago on sunday afternoon with temperatures touching 40deg and found the AC super effective at blower speed 1. I had even commented to the SA accompanying me how TATA cars have such good AC systems which are perfect for Indian summers. Since in your test drives you found that blower throw to be less at even level 2, it could be one of the reasons for the bad cooling. Try checking the cars other than the demo vehicles.

Most of the people who test drove the Tiago have commented on the noisy blower sound even at level 1. I had a similar experience and happened to take a video on the day I took the test drive. I shot this while starting a display Tiago parked in the open and if you observe at the 50sec mark I turned on the AC with blower speed at 1. The blower was loud enough to drown the engine sound.

Thanks for the input folks, went again yesterday to the showroom and tested the AC after reading the comments - still the same, bummer! Well after considering the fact that the car ticks ALL the right boxes except probably one, I went ahead a booked the Petrol XZ (brown). Waiting period is about 1 month.

Tiago craze is really abuzz, there were 2 deliveries of the car yesterday itself (one XZ and another XT - both petrol).

Last edited by ampere : 15th April 2016 at 08:41. Reason: Fixed quotes
djay434 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th April 2016, 08:45   #514
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by djay434 View Post
Thanks for the input folks, went again yesterday to the showroom and tested the AC after reading the comments - still the same, bummer! Well after considering the fact that the car ticks ALL the right boxes except probably one, I went ahead a booked the Petrol XZ (brown). Waiting period is about 1 month.

Tiago craze is really abuzz, there were 2 deliveries of the car yesterday itself (one XZ and another XT - both petrol).
Congrats, I doubt if AC will be an issue. I found it as chilling as my Tata Zest during my TD; all Tata cars in the last few years have had pretty good AC performance.
gsurya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th April 2016, 22:47   #515
BHPian

I took a test drive of tiago and am mightily impressed by the quality of car and the execution of entire vehicle.

The version I drove was a diesel powered one. The car was very silent and felt good enough. I was hard pressed to distinguish it from a petrol. Presently I'm using zen Estillo so my expectations are very modest
adityadeva is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th April 2016, 08:30   #516
Senior - BHPian

Spent around 45 minutes with Tiago yesterday. Very very impressive work by Tata. Went to showroom around 1 PM, there was no big crowd, and saw 5-6 customers checking the car. Had a brief chat with 3 customers (one first time car buyer, second - a Polo GT owner, third who already booked a KUV). All seems to be pretty impressed with Tiago. Petrol one was available for test drive. They already have 60+ bookings (It is tier-2 city in Kerala where Tata's current brand image is not so good)

Last edited by Latheesh : 16th April 2016 at 08:33.
Latheesh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th April 2016, 13:51   #517
BHPian

Looking for a small car for family so decided to test drive Tiago petrol. Went to Aristo Motors Sohna Road Gurgaon where they have the top end petrol version for test drive.

After discussing price etc SA took me to the car. Outer looks are impressive so the interiors but to my surprise I was not allowed to take car on road and test drive is only allowed to parking lot and surroundings of building only :o so i had only 100 mtrs area to test the car. I completed one circle of building and didn't stop, immediately SA asked "sir ek chakkar aur chalayenge kya (will you drive more)". ��

But with this short test drive what i didn't like most was the petrol engine. Which was badly vibrating on low speeds also tried to reserve car and i found even more vibrations, the whole dashboard was rattling. Also noticed the tyres were badly shivering when some one else was doing same. Please share if its normal or that TD car was faulty?

The thing i like most was the music system by Herman, also the light steering.
Old 16th April 2016, 19:06   #518
BANNED

All positives spoken, the best thing that I like on the Tiago is,

Tachometer is standard across variants.

I for one can live without the power windows and other cosmetic features, but the Tacho is a must, Maruti, Ford and other brands for some reason do not offer it in the base variants.

Why is it not being offered in Black, would have looked nice on this small hatch, I do not see many a small hatches in Black.

Last edited by Torquedo : 16th April 2016 at 19:10.
Torquedo is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th April 2016, 09:50   #519
BHPian

Hi does anybody in this forum know about the number of bookings garnered by the Tiago so far?. There was piece meal info about the Chennai dealership clocking 200 and the Kerala dealership doing 60 + etc but there has been no news so far of how much it has been all over India.
Old 18th April 2016, 16:53   #520
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAE40 in veins View Post
Hi does anybody in this forum know about the number of bookings garnered by the Tiago so far?. There was piece meal info about the Chennai dealership clocking 200 and the Kerala dealership doing 60 + etc but there has been no news so far of how much it has been all over India.
As per today's economic times article, Tata claims to have got over 1 lakh enquiries all over India. Assuming a modest 20% enquiries get converted to bookings we are looking at over 20k bookings for the Tiago.... well done!!!
apachelongbow is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th April 2016, 19:00   #521
BHPian

Remember around a month after the Zest's launch, Tata had claimed some 50k odd enquiries for the car. If one considers how that panned out for the Zest in the long run, its anyone's guess how the Tiago might fare in the market.
Old 18th April 2016, 19:57   #522
Senior - BHPian

This car deserves at least 10-15K sales per month, but I would be happy if it post a consistent 5-6K sales numbers.
Latheesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2016, 21:25   #523
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
This car deserves at least 10-15K sales per month, but I would be happy if it post a consistent 5-6K sales numbers.
Rightly said. TATA should be happy if they can achieve this and maintain this for a considerable period of time. Some one has posted that initial prices are expected to be increased. I think they should retain this pricing.

After a long time people are showing interest in their cars and they should utilise it,even if the profit needs to be compromised a little bit.

Building trust with customer's is not an overnight activity, its a long term PROCESS in which TATA has got the first step working fine. Now all they need is to mimic Rahul Dravid's formula (CONSISTENCY PERFORMANCE) in marketing, ASS and product line up

Last edited by Aditya : 19th April 2016 at 07:14. Reason: Typos
Old 18th April 2016, 21:42   #524
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquedo View Post
I for one can live without the power windows and other cosmetic features, but the Tacho is a must, Maruti, Ford and other brands for some reason do not offer it in the base variants.
Even Toyota had not given a tachometer in Liva GD model that I drive. So, its not just Maruti or Ford.
Old 19th April 2016, 10:38   #525
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
The young boy/girl in the house or the buyer himself/herself saying "my friends will say Tata liya? kyon??". The ever so important "What will people say?" attribute of the Indian social setup.
I know people who have bought Swifts simply because that gets more approval from neighbours. Honestly. Stretching car loans for this reason...
This is the biggest problem with even thinking about tata. Ive booked a baleno in march with a waiting period of atleast 6 months!! Really liked tiago and when i faintly suggested it to my dad, he was like "TATA!! who buys a TATA car??" and the debate just ended right there.

Then again, i think we shouldnt fret much on people buying cars based on neighbors approval, when in our country a lot of marriage decisions are made based on neighbors/family approvals.
guptavis is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed