Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 3rd June 2016, 20:34   #766
BHPian

re: Tata Tiago : Official Review

While delivery of tiagos have taken place across the country and I too have spotted a couple of these on road, not a single ownership thread has come up in bhp forums. Almost every day I look for a initial ownership report and end up reading the last page in this forum. Still waiting with fingers crossed...

The huge demand for petrol compared to oil burners might be attributed to interest shown by the great Indian middle class who want more car for less money.

If tata doesn't turn this tide in its favour, they might miss the bus forever. I hope they ramp up the production to the full capacity for meeting the surge in demand. Careful tata.
adityadeva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2016, 07:36   #767

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelNut View Post
I had taken test drives of both petrol and diesel before, was leaning towards the diesel then due to the petrols unimpressive performance. That was more than a month before. Since my monthly running is about 300km only, I decided to TD the petrol again.
Forgot to mention the car had a stuck driver seatbelt already! Had to do the TD without seatbelt, hard to believe tata has not solved this issue, my Manza suffers from it now and then. The clutch judder and the stuck seatbelt on a 2300 something kms old TD car is seriously making me rethink about booking the car I otherwise loved to drive. Might have to go with Grand i10 which is about 1.5 lakhs dearer. Any thoughts?

Last edited by ampere : 4th June 2016 at 12:54. Reason: Reduced quoted content
WheelNut is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2016, 12:22   #768
BHPian

Quote:
Forgot to mention the car had a stuck driver seatbelt already!
First of all, you should have refused to take the TD without the seatbelt, for your safety and for letting them know that TD car with faulty component is not done. May be a different case if that was broken the same day and they did not get time to rectify it.

Second, TD cars do get abused a lot by people so wear and tear is usually seen. I would suggest you to not judge based on this issue!
Old 4th June 2016, 13:19   #769
BHPian

Quote:
Forgot to mention the car had a stuck driver seatbelt already! Had to do the TD without seatbelt, hard to believe tata has not solved this issue, my Manza suffers from it now and then. The clutch judder and the stuck seatbelt on a 2300 something kms old TD car is seriously making me rethink about booking the car I otherwise loved to drive. Might have to go with Grand i10 which is about 1.5 lakhs dearer. Any thoughts?
Owned a Manza myself for 65-70k for 4.5 years - No issue of seat belt ever .
If you find Manza having any unbearable issue better avoid Tiago & go with i10 . 1.5 lacs extra spent will be worth the peace of mind.

Some of these issues - if they occur with a successful brand, it may go unmentioned whereas for a brand like Tata its a separate story. Understandably its a layman's style of thinking too.
TMl has to ensure such issues are history.

Not Advocating Tata here (owned 2 Marutis , 1 Tata and currently a 19 lc Mahindra- was happiest with Tata- but really the intention of the post is not advocating Tata) neither being sarcastic- Just an honest perspective on 1.5 lac extra investment.
madhu33 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 4th June 2016, 17:37   #770

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhu33 View Post
Owned a Manza myself for 65-70k for 4.5 years - No issue of seat belt ever .
If you find Manza having any unbearable issue better avoid Tiago & go with i10 . 1.5 lacs extra spent will be worth the peace of mind.
I have always felt I was wright when I chose Manza QDJ over Dzire, comfort level that Manza offers is unmatched. The issue with my manzas seatbelt is silly, the belt just folds over while retracting, making it stuck. Now, I am not sure if the tiagos TD vehicle had the same issue, but if it is then that would have been an easily avoidable issue. I really appreciate tatas effort to provide good value for money vehicles to indian customers and I never consider tata vehicles to be unreliable.

For the extra 1.5 lacs the i10 will provide a well refined engine that I suspect will be inferior in fuel efficiency terms and a button to start the engine!

Tiago provides important safety features like EBD, CSC, seatbelt pretensioners etc which other manufacturers just wouldn't bother to provide. And the price at which these are offered is unbelievable.

I just wish issues like clutch judder (sign of a weak clutch?) spoil an otherwise excellent car.

Last edited by ampere : 4th June 2016 at 17:41.
Old 5th June 2016, 07:29   #771
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I just wish issues like clutch judder (sign of a weak clutch?) spoil an otherwise excellent car.
Why don't you take another test drive in another demo car or from another showroom and decide whether it was a one-off issue? Both the clutch and the seatbelts.
discoverwild is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2016, 11:11   #772
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adityadeva View Post
The huge demand for petrol compared to oil burners might be attributed to interest shown by the great Indian middle class who want more car for less money.
Don't forget the diesel bans. Although they are for 2000cc and above, plus 10-year old diesel cars, the whole market is now very apprehensive about any sort of diesel car purchases.

According to Abdul Majeed, Leader, Automotive at PwC:

Quote:
“Even people who are buying small cars are opting for petrol cars as they don’t want to take any chances. The government is imposing more tax on diesel. People are changing orders in the last moment even after the vehicle has come to the depot for delivery. Some fleet owners who had booked diesel cars are also going in for petrol cars,”
Quote:
Originally Posted by adityadeva View Post
I hope they ramp up the production to the full capacity for meeting the surge in demand.
Almost 70-80 percent of the 20,000 bookings for the Tata Tiago are for the petrol variants, and Tata Motors didn't foresee this.

The re-alignment of production schedules and component supply chains will take some time before we see more Tiagos on the roads, possibly around 2 months.

Tata Tiago : Official Review-022878087.jpg

Quote:
“Tiago has exceeded our expectations. We have received 20,000 orders since we launched the car. This is significant. But we do see a clear trend towards petrol. Almost 70-80 per cent of the cars on order are for the petrol engine. It came as a major surprise,” Guenter Butschek, Managing Director, Tata Motors said at the company’s annual results press conference on Monday.

Tata Motors is known for its diesel engines and going by the previous years’ trends, it had anticipated a greater demand for diesel engines and scheduled production accordingly.

“We are expanding capacity and have gone in for the second shift at Sanand to produce more cars. We are trying to address the bottleneck and in the coming weeks there will be a significant increase in output,” Mr. Butschek said.

He said though the company has received over 1.4 lakh enquires for the Tiago, it would rather concentrate on improving the supply situation before trying to convert the inquiries into sales. He said more Tiagos will be seen on the road in eight weeks.
The Hindu

Last edited by RavenAvi : 5th June 2016 at 11:20.
RavenAvi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th June 2016, 19:13   #773
BHPian

One question guys, Should I go for petrol or diesel top model for Tiago? Please suggest.
Mainly 2 people will be seated in the car. Occasional long drives like once in a month to nearby hill stations. Monthly running is very less say like 500 - 1000 kms per month excluding the occasional drives.

Last edited by kanu2k15 : 6th June 2016 at 19:16. Reason: adding more information.
Old 6th June 2016, 19:28   #774
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanu2k15 View Post
One question guys, Should I go for petrol or diesel top model for Tiago? Please suggest.
Mainly 2 people will be seated in the car. Occasional long drives like once in a month to nearby hill stations. Monthly running is very less say like 500 - 1000 kms per month excluding the occasional drives.
Based on your requirements it is better to select the petrol. Lower initial investment, lower maintenance cost and hassle free ownership. Invest the difference amount for a period of 5-7 years and receive a good amount while buying your next car.
basubhatta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th June 2016, 20:07   #775
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanu2k15 View Post
Irrespective of how many sit in the car or drive, best is to get the top-end always. You'll not be depressed at later stage craving for some features that the top end variant had which you didn't buy.

The extra money over lower variants is what keeps many off from buying top end variant but peace of mind in getting the top end variant (Read safety features and equipped with all bells + whistles) is priceless.
a4anurag is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th June 2016, 23:28   #776
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by basubhatta View Post
Invest the difference amount for a period of 5-7 years and receive a good amount while buying your next car.
Exactly my thoughts. Saving for my lovely Thar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
The extra money over lower variants is what keeps many off from buying top end variant but peace of mind in getting the top end variant (Read safety features and equipped with all bells + whistles) is priceless.
Same thoughts that's why I always buy the top model. Well in this case only top model had ABS and ESP so that was the default choice.
Old 7th June 2016, 04:27   #777
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by basubhatta View Post
Based on your requirements it is better to select the petrol. Lower initial investment, lower maintenance cost and hassle free ownership. Invest the difference amount for a period of 5-7 years and receive a good amount while buying your next car.
I would still go for the diesel primarily because they are better suited for operating conditions in India - stop start traffic & heat and secondly when it comes the time to sell, the diesel is going to fetch more resale for sure.

What makes it no brainer in case of Tiago is that the diesel is more refined and better to drive than the petrol and even with your running, you will save running on diesel.
extreme_torque is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th June 2016, 10:19   #778
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The issue with my manzas seatbelt is silly, the belt just folds over while retracting, making it stuck. Now, I am not sure if the tiagos TD vehicle had the same issue, but if it is then that would have been an easily avoidable issue.
Going off-topic. I have faced this issue with my WagonR quite frequently. The last time it happened, I corrected it the wrong way round and now, it's twisted around the belly area. I couldn't correct it as it was difficult to turn it in the thin loop/slit. I have faced this issue once with my rear seat belt too.
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2016, 14:13   #779
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
the diesel is going to fetch more resale for sure.
Agreed with you an almost everything, but I don't care about the resale value. Anyways a TATA even with a diesel will not fetch much. But the petrol is not that bad to drive in start stop traffic, I did a test drive in peak hour and was stuck in traffic for 30 or so minutes and it didn't feel anything different than a diesel I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
What makes it no brainer in case of Tiago is that the diesel is more refined and better to drive than the petrol and even with your running, you will save running on diesel.
The diesel cost 1 lakh more than the petrol and I cannot justify or honestly afford that money right now. This car is just going to replace my Royal Enfield on those weekend shopping sprees and on a rainy day. The joys of getting married.
I still love my Classic 350. (Meri buggiye bullet.)
kanu2k15 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2016, 14:23   #780
BHPian

@kanu2k15, go for petrol eyes closed. In future, NGT may bring a stupid band on diesel vehicles, which will affect you if you chose diesel. Also since your monthly kms is less, petrol makes more sense, but buy the top end version All the best!
sairamboko is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed