Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd June 2016, 23:39   #886
BHPian

Thanks Akshay, have booked a TD on weekend.
The exhaustive review here does make Tiago the most desirable compact hatch in current times!

With all credit to Tata motors, is it advisable to book Tiago now - or wait out for 6 months for the initial niggles to be sorted out.

I usually keep my cars for 10+ years - so long term reliability is paramount.
Old 24th June 2016, 02:48   #887
BHPian

re: Tata Tiago : Official Review

Hello All - couple of weeks back, test drove the Tiago petrol and diesel top end variants.

Looks great, solidly built, nice interiors & decent paint quality - overall was mighty impressed and also felt proud of Tata (Indian car maker and also my employer) finally has made progress on this front.

Petrol: less than 1000 kms on the TD car
- Lot of vibrations when in idle / 1st gear and could hear the engine / fan noise. Gear lever was dancing all around.
- In stop and go traffic while in 1st gear, car was jerking during half clutch release and was not very comfortable (not sure if it was an issue with the TD car or my driving style)
- Sufficient power for city driving conditions

Diesel: less than 500 kms on the TD car
- No engine / fan noise, felt smooth
- Good amount of power in the 1,2,3 gear shifts for the initial pull. Felt ideal for city driving conditions

Felt AC was good in both the engine options. Overall, liked the diesel over petrol - is the 1 lakh premium justified? Probably would need to take another TD of the petrol car at a different dealership.

What do you all recommend if the price difference between petrol v/s diesel wasn't a concern for the buyer?

Dealer quoted wait times of 3 months and zero discounts / offers. Only 3k cash discount corporate offer due to my employer (TATA) ..Also didn't have any official accessory list yet available (quoted TATA hasn't provided yet).

Need other members view on below
I felt the distance / gap between dead pedal and clutch to be very less. I was wearing regular sandals during TD and my foot got stuck in between area, while trying to press the clutch forcing me to drive bare foot. Not sure if others faced the same issue or this was already bought up and is a known issue (wonder what would happen if I had my sports shoes on )

Last edited by Samurai : 24th June 2016 at 11:31. Reason: Limit to two smileys
Eyas337 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2016, 10:17   #888

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enobarbus View Post
It looks like a very minor paint damage. I would ignore it if I were you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosikrishna View Post
My suggestion will be to take delivery as it is. Not worth changing the bumper for such a minuscule dent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
I tend to agree with this. I would not change a factory fit bumper for a small chip of paint which 99% of people cannot notice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
If I were you, I will take the delivery as it is since AFAIK,
--Anoop
Thank you for the response here folks. But I am little surprised here with the above response. What is the fuss with all the checklist we have to verify before taking delivery of the new car. If such adjustments are necessary, then why come and go through a pre-delivery checklist? I do agree it is small, but definitely visible. As i mentioned in the post, as soon as i started checking my car, this become visible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
That was a very minor stuff.
Secondly, I think the response from TATA is worth highlighting (if you didn't have to create a ruckus for the replacement offer).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Please also bear in mind that it's not just about color matching - which will always vary by degrees with the painted surface's age even if they get the shade accurate - .
Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Hahaha please mate, it is good to pay attention to detail, but no need to throw around the words "foul play" or "manufacturing defect" here. kudos to Tata dealership for being so courteous and undertaking rectification for such a minor if not negligible paint chip
Well I do believe this is a very thin line where i need to either decide to go with as is or ask for rectification. I took the latter root as i just could not digest seeing that in a brand new car. I also do understand being in Bangalore, not sure when i can get a bigger dent.. , but i guess its all about doing the right thing at the right time. Yes, i was really happy with the dealership as he immediately agreed to change this from a brand new car (he also offered to do it in front of me). Hence i decided to trust the dealership on this change. Expecting this on Monday now and i will surely post pic of the same to this group to get the opinion. My anger with the failed plan of taking delivery on an auspicious day(yesterday, Ganesha) might have made me us the foul play and defect, but on second thought(this was not present during my factory check) i definitely take it back.
Old 24th June 2016, 11:09   #889
Senior - BHPian

Well, it's obvious isn't it? Diesel, it must be, for you. Tata is synonymous with Diesel and their petrols will take time to catch up. The 1 lakh premium is for full peace of mind, knowing you invested in the right engine.

What do you all recommend if the price difference between petrol v/s diesel wasn't a concern for the buyer?
Old 24th June 2016, 11:18   #890
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by camero_driver View Post
Thank you for the response here folks. But I am little surprised here with the above response. What is the fuss with all the checklist we have to verify before taking delivery of the new car. If such adjustments are necessary, then why come and go through a pre-delivery checklist? I do agree it is small, but definitely visible. As i mentioned in the post, as soon as i started checking my car, this become visible.
The checklist, like any other guidelines, is that - a guideline. It is up to each individual to apply it to their purchase in a case to case manner.

You are perfectly OK with asking for the fix of the paint chip, and it is laudable that the showroom guys agreed to it pronto.

But, if I were you, I would let it pass since personally, I feel disturbing the factory fit and finish for this seeming minor (to me, personally) issue is not worth it, after weighing the pros and cons.

--Anoop
theexperthand is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 24th June 2016, 13:17   #891
BHPian

Looks like Tata have come up with a really good package. I was behind a Tiago yesterday in my GT TSI, and I must say it looks pretty good in person. The pick up of the vehicle was incredibly strong too (It was the 140 N-m Diesel). Still waiting to see the first ownership thread here on TBHP though
Old 25th June 2016, 01:51   #892
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by camero_driver View Post
But I am little surprised here with the above response.

Well I do believe this is a very thin line where i need to either decide to go with as is or ask for rectification. I took the latter root as i just could not digest seeing that in a brand new car. I also do understand being in Bangalore, not sure when i can get a bigger dent.. , but i guess its all about doing the right thing at the right time.
I kind of agree with you. Its a shame, having to take the delivery of a brand new car knowingly with a dent on it. Probably those in your position can only understand the real pain.

However as rest recommend of retaining the factory fit, do have the option to fall back to the original factory version (with the dent) ready, just in case the paint job isn't satisfactory (hope you've already checked with the dealer about this).

Happy mile munching.
Eyas337 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2016, 07:03   #893
BHPian

Surprised to see not a single Tiago review on tbhp whereas I can read quite a few on some other sites. Hope we have gone not too far that it has become too tough for common man to get entry here. Just my 2p.
Old 25th June 2016, 21:55   #894
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseltuned View Post

1. The TD car (XZ petrol) was approx. run for 5k kms and the famous gear lever vibrations were present. I wanted to know from the forum members whether these vibrations generated from the 3 pot engine in any way are harmful for the engine or reduce the life of the engine/car ? Do they do in any way damage the car ? I must mention that these are not older Innova like vibrations which can be seen with the naked eye but can be felt when the car has just started or is idealling.
A word for the sales staff, they were not at all reluctant in admitting the vibrations in the petrol motor and in fact correctly tried to explain the reason for the vibrations.
Hi Dieseltuned, I would request you to confirm if you were actually resting your left hand on the gear lever? In-case you were then there is chance that it may tend to vibrate. But instead if you just touch, it does not vibrate at all. I drive a zest and have no issues of vibration at all. Of late I'm completely off that habit of keeping my hand on the gear lever. It may be a one off case too where there could be some genuine issue.

I think what happens is, we end up pushing the lever ever so slightly against the springs which holds it upright and renders the smooth slotting, due to weight of our arm supporting against the lever. That probably allows some vibrations to creep in.

No vibrations observed in the Petrol XT Revotron I did TD recently.
Old 26th June 2016, 02:45   #895

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyas337 View Post
I kind of agree with you. Its a shame, having to take the delivery of a brand new car knowingly with a dent on it. Probably those in your position can only understand the real pain.
Happy mile munching.
Thanks Eyas227 for understanding...

All - The dealer has successfully completed the replacement of my front bumper and was in the showroom yesterday itself. Today morning got a call to verify the same and I was personally happy with what they had done. Please do find the pic of the car with the new bumper attached. As mentioned by others in the forum, I could easily see the bumper was removed and the fitting was not 100% close to new car, but in no way alarming or one to cause worry.. .. super happy with the SA and the dealership at this time. But I want the esteemed members to check on the snap and tell me if they any paint job done there. During my check today a couple other things (car roof fabric cleaning and front passenger mirror check for it being bent as i felt it could be touching the rubber beading as i could see that drag mark) were identified and notified.
Current Schedule is intact for Monday delivery and will keep this group updated.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Tiago : Official Review-copy-p1010449.jpg  

camero_driver is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th June 2016, 18:54   #896
BHPian

Dear All,

This may be off topic but thought I must mention this.

Many of you earlier had their doubts about the paint quality/perfectness at the service center.

I would like to tell you that I am extremely satisfied with the painting at the service center (Concorde ASSC at Kudlu Gate)

Little more than a year back, had met with a minor accident due to which the front bonnet, bumper (of my Nano, pearl white) had to be replaced.

Paint job was top notch and I've yet to see any fading or tan or even a mismatch of the paint. We don't have a parking space due to which my Nano is parked on the road 24/7 with just a cover to protect it.

Painting is done in steps and they follow a manual, which mentions which shade and how much quantity needs to be added or mixed to get the right color. In my case (pearl white), first layer of primer, second layer of white and final layer of pearl finishing.

I can vouch that paint work is good, at least from what I have experienced.

Regards,
T-Bone.
T-Bone is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th June 2016, 08:44   #897
BHPian

I have a company leased Red Zest and I was rear ended by bikes two times within two months of purchase. The rear bumper and the left tail lamp assembly had to be replaced on the first occasion and the whole rear bumper was repainted on the second. The leasing company sent my car to Concorde Sanatnagar on both occasions. Both the times, the colour matching and quality looked top notch initially but became dull within a week. The difference in shade is clearly visible. That is why I was apprehensive about painting at the dealership.

Last edited by Enobarbus : 27th June 2016 at 08:47.
Old 27th June 2016, 10:58   #898
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enobarbus View Post
I have a company leased Red Zest and I was rear ended by bikes two times within two months of purchase. The rear bumper and the left tail lamp assembly had to be replaced on the first occasion and the whole rear bumper was repainted on the second. The leasing company sent my car to Concorde Sanatnagar on both occasions. Both the times, the colour matching and quality looked top notch initially but became dull within a week. The difference in shade is clearly visible. That is why I was apprehensive about painting at the dealership.
I believe that the top clear coat was skipped by the lazy dealers. That is the primary reason for bright colors like red looking dull within a few days of painting.
Old 27th June 2016, 15:55   #899
BHPian

Did a Tiago (XZ, Petrol) TD this weekend - my 2c.

Postivies
1. Great looks inside-out - Will appeal to both sexes.
2. Premium build quality for the segment - textured plastics, great seat fabric, thick sheet-metal, lusturous paint-job.
3. Small on outside, big on inside - well carved out rear-bench space, contoured seats, big boot. Carries 4 adults comfortably.
4. Features - Harman system is fantastic, XZ has all the features you'll need.
5. Smaller nicities - cooled glovebox, seat-belt warning (@20 kph), cubby-holes, extra power-sockets (provision for 3) and more.
6. Aggressive price - The top-end is an absolute steal!
7. Well controlled noise - unlike reported in reviews , noise doesn't seep into the production variant of the car.
This shows tata has gone some length to take review feedbacks seriously.

Neutral
1. Handling & ride quality is compliant. Sure, you do feel the potholes, but the car does retain it's composure.
2. Steering is light, would have preferred it to be bit more heavy. It Builds up well with speed though.

Negatives
1. 3-cylinder petrol - the engine feels lazy:
Now this is my BIG grouse from the car: Strictly mediocre torque.
Overtaking should be planned and start-stop city traffic will require frequent downshifts.
With 4 people on board, it's a drag to pull.
Tata motors could have given it the revetron engine in 4-cylinder avatar (same as zest).
Sure - the competition also provides 3-cylinder. But to pull the extra weight, tata surely could have kept it as an engine variant. Many customers who're looking for a small Hot-Hatch (at slight premium) would have boarded the tata bandwagon.

2. Vibrations in gear-lever: While shifting in lower gears, there is quite some vibration. Should have been taken care of before coming in production.

I'm in the market for a second hatch for city-runabouts within family (currently running a Figo Diesel, looking for replacement for ageing Santro).
But for the missing torque, I would have picked the Tiago over anything else.

It's a smiling little gem of a car.

For now, my hunt continues.

Regards,
Anurag

p.s: word of thanks to Mr Omkar from Fortune Motors, Ghorbunder road. He got the car home for a TD promptly & explained all features in detail. Always eager to help, but never pushy - the right way to build up a potential sale.
anurag.somani is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th June 2016, 17:42   #900

Hello All,

Thinking of buying this car for my wife. Tiago XZ petrol as the daily commute will be around 12-15 kms only. I already own a fully loaded Tata Indigo eCS 2011 model. No complaints for Tata cars as such till date but the service center has horrible experience during the last 5 years of ownership.

My apprehensions are only 2:
1- Have read many posts about vibrations felt in the petrol TD cars. Any owners out here to clarify on this are welcome as I want to book within 3 days.
2- The experience at ASC's is there any chance of improvement. This time I would try another dealership for my purchase.
Any comments and suggestions will be helpful.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks