Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 15th August 2016, 16:35   #1051
BHPian

re: Tata Tiago : Official Review

I did a test drive of Tiago last week. I really love the looks of the car. Tata has indeed done good RnD to come up with this model. The interiors, look and feel are quiet impressive and is easily like one or two levels above its category. I loved the feel of the steering. I am really surprised that I have not yet seen many of the Tiago on the road in Bangalore. I wish this model from Tata does well in competition to the other non-Indian car makers.
Old 15th August 2016, 16:41   #1052
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilay View Post
http://http://www.autocarindia.com/a...go-402773.aspx

Exclusive: Tata to launch sport version of Tiago
Somehow the url that you mentioned is not opening, I guess "http://" has been copied twice. Try opening the below url.

http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...go-402773.aspx
Old 15th August 2016, 17:18   #1053
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
That's a bold move, to take a small hatch, which basically was supposed to fight the Celerio to challenge the performance hatchbacks like Baleno & Punto. I don't really know if this would prove to be a right move... as the competition would be bigger, more spacious and also more aspirational.

Last edited by aravind.anand : 15th August 2016 at 17:19.
Old 15th August 2016, 17:37   #1054
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Let's hope that this will add more momentum to the Tiago bandwagon.
120+HP for the size of this car will be really sporty. I think Tata has really got the imagination of the people with Tiago.

It's high time that they add a really popular car into their portfolio.
Old 17th August 2016, 10:42   #1055
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sree73 View Post
120+HP for the size of this car will be really sporty. I think Tata has really got the imagination of the people with Tiago.

It's high time that they add a really popular car into their portfolio.
It will of course be sporty. Would people pay a price for the extra horse power ? Tata has hit the sweet spot with the right car and the price attached to it.
Old 17th August 2016, 11:35   #1056
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
That's a bold move, to take a small hatch, which basically was supposed to fight the Celerio to challenge the performance hatchbacks like Baleno & Punto. I don't really know if this would prove to be a right move... as the competition would be bigger, more spacious and also more aspirational.
It will be a start of a new trend if this picks up. Western countries have the likes of Clio Sports and even Swift Sports for example which are quite small and if you look at it, size wise even the Tiago is quite the similar size as the Clio or even the Swift if you look at it on the road.

I think this can be the perfect hot hatch, not only for India but also for other countries where Tata has a presence in. Yes of course the brand name is dud when it comes to other countries but turning the page with the Tiago Sport can be a brilliant move.
Old 17th August 2016, 11:46   #1057
BHPian

Wow.
Is this for real?

Vista sport. Bolt sport. Never saw the day of the light (production light - remained concepts)

Maybe the XA platform is lucky for Tata.
The original Indica was a game changer and now the Tiago also seems to be on track to reverse the company's fortunes.
. This is a really great effort by Tata and absolutely loving the comeback plan.

But here's my dilemma, I was all set to book a Tiago this Diwali.
(figured will have some long term reviews by then, niggles sorted and waiting period reduced)

But the Tiago sedan gets
Projector headlamps
Automatic climate control
Reverse camera
Touchscreen
More power?

In addition to the wonderful Tiago.
I was hoping it would be launched before or around Diwali.

The only 2 things missing from my wishlist are
Keyless entry (request sensor and start stop button)
Auto folding mirrors
Android Auto

But now this news...
Looks like a potential heart breaker!

How long will I have to wait for this one Tata?
Dr.Suraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2016, 11:49   #1058
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
IF at all this does happen, I think it would be quite a hit. I don't think one needs to factor in aspirational value when it comes to hot hatches. Leave that to the big sedans and suvs. I feel a hot hatch should be small (what's the point of a hot hatch if they are all about the same size as yesteryears sedans like the Aveo), cheap to run and fix (I am sure the Tata would be much cheaper than a Fiat or Volkswagen) because at the end of the day, I feel a hot hatch is all about cheap thrills and the Tiago's segment is the perfect one to set off the trend in India considering our per capita incomes etc. It is high time IMO
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2016, 23:12   #1059
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Mod Note: Please discuss the Tiago Sport only on its dedicated thread.

Thanks!
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2016, 09:32   #1060
Team-BHP Support

Tiago priced hiked!

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/a...w/53740331.cms

Quote:
Tata Motors has hiked the price of its recently launched hatchback Tiago in the range of Rs 5,000 to Rs 6,000 as the introductory pricing period ended this month
Old 18th August 2016, 10:59   #1061
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Tiago priced hiked!
I read this a couple of days ago and started wondering about early booking to enjoy introductory prices and no waiting periods Vs. wait and watch to narrow in on a successful and niggle free car.

Coming back to the topic, even Tata has decided to increase the prices of a model assumed to be successful. But looking at it, a 1% increase is not that bad (versus a 5 digit increase by other OEMs for their successful models) and the car would still be VFM.

Last edited by ashis89 : 18th August 2016 at 11:00. Reason: Spell check
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2016, 13:39   #1062
Senior - BHPian

Post our Independence Day, on the 16th, I made a casual visit to the nearest Tata Dealership, Pandit Auto. The overall intentions were the following
  • Check the Tiago XZ, especially the seating comfort and the Harman Sound System
  • Check the Nano XT and inquire about any possible new launches during Diwali (Pelican)
  • Get a feel of the customer handling by the team.
And overall I am satisfied.

Please have a look at the below image with the latest pricing of the Tiago at PCMC

Tata Tiago : Official Review-tiago-pricing.jpg

I do not know 4 wheeler driving as yet (albeit the two times when I drove dad's HM into ditch) but that is something which I am going to learn in the next few days. Moreover, with the expert reviews with regards to the drive-ability of the car and engine, and everybody singing in the same tune, I am sure its one of the best in the market at the moment within the budget range. No questions on that.

So next comes to my mind on whether will I be able to fit myself into this car. I am 5 feet and 11.5 inches. Firstly I tried at the driver's side and it was extremely comfortable and still I had probably one notch in spare to slide the seat. (Happy to know that there are fatties than me or I might have shrunk, haha). In this position I went to the second row to check for the available leg and head room and I was not touching anywhere. WOW, excellent spacing I must agree (Swift on the other hand did not give me this airy feeling). The Tiago's interiors are in dark shade and the seats are a bit on the harder side with less of cushioning, but that's not damaging the interests.

Sound. Yes excellent these 8 speaker setting is from the Harman. I could feel the thump right on my legs and thats some thing I have been looking forward to. I could hear acceptable mid and low range with clear sound reproduction and adequate bass. I was further informed by "Krushna, the sales representative" that there is also some feature which adjusts the sound inside the car in depending upon the speed of the vehicle on the highway. Yes, might be this is something quite common these days, but to me this sounds quite exiting. Would have to check that out at some other time.

I was also shown the various other storage spaces, something which I am sure we all are now aware of with regards to their exact locations, reading the reviews etc. Not much was discussed on the engine spec part but that's probably beyond my grasp as well. Another interesting feature I found out was that the rear seats are completely fold-able and therefore should there be a need I can make use of the area as a complete flat bad or to carry some stuff, which otherwise would probably not fit in the luggage space. Luggage space is decent and I think its OK for normal carry luggage s. There is a small light at the luggage room too, with its own switch along with the bag hook etc. In short, Tiago has many excellent small yet efficient features added for the rider's overall journey comfort and usage.

On road price in PCMC for XZ with 3% LBT is 566502 with Extended warranty coming around 4400 and AMC gold for 8799.

Post this we went to check the Nano XT and but obvious there is stark difference in all aspects other than legroom which I felt to the better[surprising]. But then one should not compare features available in 320427 and 566502. Anyways, the intention was to find out if there is a possible Pelican release during Diwali. To this Krushna surprised me saying that nothing from Nano would come out till next Diwali.

Coming to the third point of customer handling, I was definitely satisfied the way Krushna handled my queries. In fact, based upon my interaction, I would say that they are way better than RE's. He also informed me that Pandit Auto does have arrangements with SBI and therefore they can arrange for Car Loan from the SBI.

Now coming to the queries part:-

1 > Pricing shows different amounts with and without LBT. Searching on the net I came to know that this tax amount has to be paid by the trader to the authorities (which I understand is going to be extracted from customers indirectly) But is there a provision to not pay the LBT as well, as there are different pricing [550266 in place of 566502]. Please advise.

2 > Though Pandit has some tie up with the SBI and thus they are probably competent to arrange for car loans, but what is the best approach here? I do have a long term account with the SBI and if I approach them directly, would I get any special benefits? Krushna had advised that SBI provides car loan only on the onroad pricing excluding the Extended + AMC Gold, whereas SBI suggests that on road pricing includes Extended + AMC too. What do experts suggests?

https://www.sbi.co.in/portal/web/per...ar-loan-scheme

"Financing on ‘On-Road price':
On-Road price includes Registration, Insurance and Extended Warranty/ Total Service Package/ Annual Maintenance Contract/ Cost of Accessories"

3 > Though this may vary from person to person, but I was advised to go for a White or Silver colored car rather than the coffee brown (my preference) because the former looks cleaner even if there is small scratch etc. How valid is that statement?

4 > XZ does not come with any goodies as everything is already fitted into the car. What does other XZ buyers have to say on that?

5 > Tires are either from the GoodYear or the BridgeStone as advised by Krushna and customer cannot select on that? How valid is that statement and if there is a provision for selection, which one is better?

6 >From 2004 I have very dearly preserved by JBL GTO 949 in the almirah though the car has not materialized still. I do understand and am well aware that the inbuilt sound is well sufficient, but as those speakers are very closer to my heart, I want to have them placed on the rear parcel tray. Krushna was surprised listening to this but he said that if I still want to go ahead then I can have that attached from the Tata Premises and they will work out a solution to have that attached with proper relays etc. He sad that if I do from outside, the warranty will be void, but they can take care of the same if the modification is done at their premises. Now If I really go ahead with that and have it fixed from them, as said, will my warranty be covered? What precautions do I need to undertake before going ahead with this?

I am interested to listen excluding suggestions to sell it at OLX (its very dear to my heart) or not fix at all ( I know that the sound is adequate)

7 > Exactly what all expenses are covered under Gold AMC? For example for RE's, AMC does not cover consumables like oil, break liner but the servicing charges are (only regular). Is it the same here too or does it cover the cost of consumables too?

Guys, this are my inputs just after my first visit to the showroom to "see" the car. And couple of you have already bought the same. My humble request to you is to please update a detailed initial ownership review with images.

Thank you and regards,

Bikramjit.
Majumdarda is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th August 2016, 16:30   #1063
Distinguished - BHPian

Mod Note: Post deleted. Please do not reply to posts using bold text within a quoted post, as it leads to visual discomfort for readers. Additionally, it's inconvenient to quote & reply to such a post.

For the correct way to quote, please see this thread.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 18th August 2016 at 16:55.
Old 18th August 2016, 18:21   #1064
BHPian

Guys confused between XE and XM variants of Tiago. XM offers following features extra compared to XE-:

1) Power windows
2) Central locking
3) Parcel trey
4) Reading light
5) Grab handles with coat hook

The difference between the two variants is around 40k. Is it worth the extra money? Can we fix power windows in XE variant? Will doing so void the warranty? Hope to hear soon.

Regards
Old 18th August 2016, 18:42   #1065
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRoadie View Post
Guys confused between XE and XM variants of Tiago. XM offers following features extra compared to XE-:

1) Power windows
2) Central locking
3) Parcel trey
4) Reading light
5) Grab handles with coat hook

The difference between the two variants is around 40k. Is it worth the extra money? Can we fix power windows in XE variant? Will doing so void the warranty? Hope to hear soon.

Regards
Does XE xome with the exact same music system as XM ?
Does XE come with the exact same tyres as XM ? (or are undersized) as is the case in WagonR.

If the above two questions have YES as an answer + I am not sure how iffy are TATA dealers about warranty claims. But having a company fitted power windows and central locking is always better then after market ones.

Regards
Dieseltuned

Most Viewed