Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2016, 15:37   #1111
Senior - BHPian

re: Tata Tiago : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhisheKulkarni View Post
The only motivation for me to tolerate this situation/treatment and hang on to my booking is that there is no competitor for the Tiago in it's segment and I am on a limited budget. The Celerio is a poor quality product in all respects (no offense meant for existing owners, just a personal opinion) and the i10 is way too overpriced for what it offers, the extra cylinder notwithstanding. Tata Motors has a great product in the form of the Tiago, but zero customer-orientedness. Let's hope that someone is reading this, and it makes a difference for other customers.
Is it Concorde Motors? They have the longest backlog of bookings. The current waiting period for top end variants is above 4-5 months(diesel- 7 months) in hyderabad, although their claim of delivery is just 8-9 weeks.
However, I found out that the base variants XE, XM are available with much lesser waiting period. Also, white color has the highest waiting period followed by silver.

I felt the other tata dealers, were able to dispatch the vehicles quicker compared to Concorde.

If budget is not a strict concern, I would suggest you to be quick on your feet and book Kite 5/Ignis right on their release, so that you would be among the first batch of owners. You might receive them even before your Tiago arrives.

Last edited by jetsetgo08 : 5th September 2016 at 15:39.
Old 5th September 2016, 19:26   #1112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majumdarda View Post
Please share dealership details as well so that one is aware of.
Pandit Automotive, Law College Road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
This is stupid; they are running a five month backlog! Have you tried another dealer?

Get hold of someone in Tata: the moment they find that a customer who has chosen a Tata product, that too on a white plate, is enduring a five month period for their, lets-be-honest, only ray of hope, hopefully they do something about it.
No, I haven't. Primarily because I had heard similar delivery timelines being quoted to other customers at Concorde, when I booked.

I appreciate the spirit in which you said this, but I feel that's exactly what I do not want to do. It's a product which they are selling and one which I'm ready to pay for. So I don't want to have to fight to get one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsetgo08 View Post
Is it Concorde Motors? They have the longest backlog of bookings. The current waiting period for top end variants is above 4-5 months(diesel- 7 months) in hyderabad, although their claim of delivery is just 8-9 weeks.
However, I found out that the base variants XE, XM are available with much lesser waiting period. Also, white color has the highest waiting period followed by silver.

I felt the other tata dealers, were able to dispatch the vehicles quicker compared to Concorde.

If budget is not a strict concern, I would suggest you to be quick on your feet and book Kite 5/Ignis right on their release, so that you would be among the first batch of owners. You might receive them even before your Tiago arrives.
It's Pandit Automotive, as I mentioned above. It seems that the realistic delivery period is indeed 5-6 months.
Budget is indeed on a leash and the requirement is for a hatchback only, so those options aren't viable.

Anyone who is quoted a waiting period of 3 months for the Tiago, please do a little bit of due diligence and don't take their word for it. Ask them to show you a list of people who have indeed got delivery in 3 months (of having booked), call them up and verify for yourself. It will save you a lot of heartburn and you can decide for yourself if you want to wait for that long or not, before booking the car.
AbhisheKulkarni is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2016, 22:20   #1113
Distinguished - BHPian

The Tiago is the only Tata in the top 20 bestselling cars in India for the month of August 2016, with 4,527 units dispatched to the dealers. (link)
RavenAvi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th September 2016, 07:33   #1114
Senior - BHPian

That's lower than the previous month. No ramp up in production?! Was expecting higher numbers considering the fact that they already have more bookings.

Are they making way for the sedan to avoid delayed deliveries?

Last edited by discoverwild : 6th September 2016 at 07:36.
Old 6th September 2016, 08:12   #1115
Senior - BHPian

I wonder what else Tata motors might be producing that's resulting in the bottle neck. I am tempted to believe, their QC on vendors has stepped up so much that there are supply side bottlenecks. So they might be probably rejecting any deviation from agreed specs which they might have been more liberal with earlier.

All said and done, they better sort it out and get on top of the entire buyer experience.
narayan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2016, 08:30   #1116
BHPian

Having crossed 1500km been getting very good mileage on open roads. It's very easy to get above 20kmpl tank full to tank full. Keeping the revs at 2500rpm and got the following figure. The car was never driven without AC switched off and always in City mode.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Tiago : Official Review-screenshot_20160906082201.png  

Last edited by damodar : 6th September 2016 at 08:31.
damodar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th September 2016, 10:25   #1117
BHPian

It is getting to be a pain - sort of. Tata Motors keep sending someone to home ostensibly as a Good will Gesture to see if there is any issue with the car. They seem to do that almost every month - hence the crib.

Last week they sent someone to find out - some sort of Market survey - about the user experience. This time the man who came home didn't come from Tata - but from an outside agency. We told him we are happy with the car - but leave us alone for some time.
Prowler is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 6th September 2016, 20:35   #1118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
It is getting to be a pain
I understand but a different kind of pain a Tata customer experiences.

Quote:
1. Is the price hike applicable only to subsequent bookings or bookings made before the hike announcement, but delivery is yet to be done?

You signed the contract for a particular price and the dealer/manufacturer is supposed to stick to that price not matter what. That is the right thing to do. But again this is india my friend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
I wonder what else Tata motors might be producing that's resulting in the bottle neck.
That's a good one. Looks like Tata manages to screw it up one way or the other. If design is good, manufacturing or marketing will screw it.
airbender is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2016, 07:14   #1119
BHPian

Quote:
Anyone who is quoted a waiting period of 3 months for the Tiago, please do a little bit of due diligence and don't take their word for it.
This all comes off as a big to be honest as just two or so weeks ago here in delhi when I went to check it out, the official waiting period was 4 weeks as written there. Was really just there to check out what the hype was all about even tho I was looking for cars a segment above. Might I also add the SA was constantly asking me if I wanted to know something more about the car or needed anything every couple of seconds which is definitely polar opposite of what I've heard a lot of people being treated as.

Does being in a different city seriously affect waiting period that much?
Swarit19 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2016, 12:38   #1120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swarit19 View Post
definitely polar opposite of what I've heard a lot of people being treated as.
Customer service comes down to dealer level.
Auto companies very particular about customer service select the dealers wisely. That's why you will mostly have pleasant experiences when you visit, lets say, a VW showroom as an example.
Old 7th September 2016, 12:55   #1121
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbender View Post
You signed the contract for a particular price and the dealer/manufacturer is supposed to stick to that price not matter what. That is the right thing to do. But again this is india my friend.
Actually, if you see the price lists given by dealers of any company, there will be a fine print that states prices prevailing at time of delivery will apply.

Related thread: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...y-booking.html

Quote:
It's Pandit Automotive, as I mentioned above. It seems that the realistic delivery period is indeed 5-6 months.
A colleague was also told the same thing after booking a XT variant in May, and he hasn't got delivery yet. Thanks for validating that.

While I am happy as a Tata Motors shareholder that the Tiago is selling so much , one thing that I can't fathom is where are all these sold cars being driven? My daily commute takes me across Pune city, I roam around a lot on weekends too, but still see hardly any Tiagos on the roads. Is there an automotive Bermuda Triangle that I am not aware about?

Cheers,
Vikram
comfortablynumb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2016, 16:29   #1122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
I wonder what else Tata motors might be producing that's resulting in the bottle neck. I am tempted to believe, their QC on vendors has stepped up so much that there are supply side bottlenecks. So they might be probably rejecting any deviation from agreed specs which they might have been more liberal with earlier.

All said and done, they better sort it out and get on top of the entire buyer experience.
The Tiago has 40,000 bookings as of the latest update. When I booked I was told that the waiting period would be 3 months maximum. And it makes me wonder how many people would've booked the car if they were told that the (actual) waiting period would be 5-6 months.

Quote:
This all comes off as a big to be honest as just two or so weeks ago here in delhi when I went to check it out, the official waiting period was 4 weeks as written there.
Quote:
Does being in a different city seriously affect waiting period that much?
I think this data shared by RavenAvi is the answer to your question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
The Tiago is the only Tata in the top 20 bestselling cars in India for the month of August 2016, with 4,527 units dispatched to the dealers.
If they have dispatched only 4,527 cars in the last month, and the total number of bookings stand at 40,000, they are going to have to dispatch atleast 8-9k units per month to ensure a maximum waiting period of 3-3.5 months. Which isn't happening and hence the delay.

You might want to throw this fact at an SA who quotes a 'only 4 week waiting period saaar' to you and ask him to explain the math behind this logic (magic).

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
A colleague was also told the same thing after booking a XT variant in May, and he hasn't got delivery yet. Thanks for validating that.

While I am happy as a Tata Motors shareholder that the Tiago is selling so much , one thing that I can't fathom is where are all these sold cars being driven? My daily commute takes me across Pune city, I roam around a lot on weekends too, but still see hardly any Tiagos on the roads. Is there an automotive Bermuda Triangle that I am not aware about?
Do you mean that your colleague was told that there would be a 5-6 month waiting period when booking? If so then he was atleast told the truth, which is a good thing!

I think that with 4,527 dispatches only (for the entire country) very few would've come down to Pune and respective dealers. Hence we don't see too many cars around.
AbhisheKulkarni is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th September 2016, 18:35   #1123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by damodar View Post
Having crossed 1500km been getting very good mileage on open roads. It's very easy to get above 20kmpl tank full to tank full. Keeping the revs at 2500rpm and got the following figure. The car was never driven without AC switched off and always in City mode.
Good Going Damodar, although I have my doubts on the quoted mileage, my car has crossed 3K and on highways it shows as 21KMPL however when you calculate on a tankful to tankful method it comes to 18KMPL.

Did you get the first service done? If yes, please advice if they updated the ECU?
They updated mine during the first check up and surprisingly I see a dip in the mileage during city running.
Old 7th September 2016, 18:38   #1124
BHPian

Quote:
The Tiago has 40,000 bookings as of the latest update. When I booked I was told that the waiting period would be 3 months maximum. And it makes me wonder how many people would've booked the car if they were told that the (actual) waiting period would be 5-6 months.

I think this data shared by RavenAvi is the answer to your question.

If they have dispatched only 4,527 cars in the last month, and the total number of bookings stand at 40,000, they are going to have to dispatch atleast 8-9k units per month to ensure a maximum waiting period of 3-3.5 months. Which isn't happening and hence the delay.

You might want to throw this fact at an SA who quotes a 'only 4 week waiting period saaar' to you and ask him to explain the math behind this logic (magic).

Do you mean that your colleague was told that there would be a 5-6 month waiting period when booking? If so then he was atleast told the truth, which is a good thing!

I think that with 4,527 dispatches only (for the entire country) very few would've come down to Pune and respective dealers. Hence we don't see too many cars around.
Mate, I empathize with you, I had gone through the same pain with my dealer.
My two bits. Please call up customer service(incase you haven't already) log a complaint, take the number for MH TSM and shoot a mail to him. Follow up continuously. Hopefully that should see some traction, with atleast a written response coming on when the car would be delivered.
Old 7th September 2016, 21:10   #1125
BHPian

Quote:
Actually, if you see the price lists given by dealers of any company, there will be a fine print that states prices prevailing at time of delivery will apply.

Related thread: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...y-booking.html
Thats why I said only happens in India. Just because the company has a rule does not make it legal. Govt should come up with a regulator to check these practices. They are already doing it for Real estate.

Quote:
While I am happy as a Tata Motors shareholder that the Tiago is selling so much
Don't be so sure about the demand. We have to wait a few months and see if it will sell 7-8K consistently. For now it may also be a manufacturing or logistics issue.

Most Viewed