Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th May 2017, 01:25   #1486
BHPian

Re: Tata Tiago : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by needforspeed88 View Post
Drive the 3 cylinder engines in Tiago and the 4 cylinder engines in Ignis back to back and you will understand what you are missing out in terms of refinement, NVH, performance and driveability.
I have no argument on the refinement but you are mistaken on the reason for the superior performance of the Ignis. It's mainly due to the significantly lower weight. As for driveability, I have found that, in general, 3 cylinder engines have better driveability at low speeds than 4 cylinder engines of equal displacement. My understanding of driveability is the feeling of effortlessness when driving. The more a car is said to be driveable, the more torque it has at the said speed range. This advantage is quickly lost as speeds climb and that's where 4 cylinder engines shine.

Quote:
15 inch wheels are not a styling feature. Bigger wheels provide better dynamics.
Let's not be under any illusion - Most cars these days with large diameter wheels only have them for styling reasons. Big wheels look good! Since you brought up the Tiago, I found it to have a better ride (bump absorption) compared to the Ignis, the Baleno, the Amaze. This probably affects the high speed handling responsiveness but it's a compromise I'm happy to make, even though most reports point to decent high speed handling as well.

Quote:
It is poor on Tata that ABS is not available, not even on as an option on any model bar XZ. ABS is not a luxury item in Indian automotive scene anymore. THe USP of Tiago is Swift sized vehicle at a competitive price but looks like the price is slowly being bumped up.
I'm not defending Tata motors but look at the grand i10. Only the expensive top end Asta comes with ABS though even the slightly lower sports variant does have airbags. Maruti themselves only offer a driver airbag on wagon r and some other small cars. So Tata isn't doing anything different from competitors.

Quote:
Tata need to realize a customer will automatically pay a premium for a product which is well established and has made a name for it. Tiago is still in infancy. It has potential to be a good seller for them as long as they keep it reasonably priced. They can always raise the price later when it has established firmly in the market.
Absolutely right!
Even though I have booked a Tiago, it's with some anger that I will pay the hiked price.
Motard_Blr is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 15th May 2017, 07:55   #1487
BHPian

The USP of Tiago is VFM. If Tatas continue to increase the price they will lose the chance of what may be a success after a long time.
The Ignis is overpriced. Tiago may soon reach the ignis pricing if the price rise continues.
archat68 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th May 2017, 16:12   #1488
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motard_Blr View Post
I have no argument on the refinement but you are mistaken on the reason for the superior performance of the Ignis. It's mainly due to the significantly lower weight. As for driveability, I have found that, in general, 3 cylinder engines have better driveability at low speeds than 4 cylinder engines of equal displacement. My understanding of driveability is the feeling of effortlessness when driving. The more a car is said to be driveable, the more torque it has at the said speed range. This advantage is quickly lost as speeds climb and that's where 4 cylinder engines shine.
I am not an expert but based on information on Team-BHP, wanted to add some additional clarity on the 4 Cylinder Vs 3 Cylinder Debate. For complete article refer the following thread : URL

Here are some excerpts from the thread which clarify that the refinement of the Ignis is not due to the less weight alone. Not just the Ignis, any 4 cylinder vehicle is more refined than a 3 cylinder vehicle and specifically 4 Cylinder engines are better at lower speeds:

Three Cylinder Engine:
Quote:
This makes the engine smoother to drive at higher rpm. Hence the car will be much better to drive in high ways than in a cities.
Four Cylinder Engine:
Quote:
Hence the engine will have better response even at a lower rpm than a three cylinder engine. Thus the engine gives better power at a lower rpm and the car is easy to ride at a lower speed.
Four Cylinder Better for City Driving & Three Cylinder Makes up for the lack of the Additional Cylinder during Highway Driving
Quote:
Finally, it’s a personal choice to go with a car with three cylinder or four cylinder. If somebody values more fuel economy, better operating expense and generally drives in fast lanes its better to have a three cylinder engine. At the same time if somebody is buying the car mainly for city driving, driving comfort and use AC most of the time, it’s better to have a four cylinder one
This information is posted for the benefit of everyone's understanding - please provide corrections if there are inaccuracies from what is quoted above
vsrivatsa is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th May 2017, 19:27   #1489
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
I am not an expert but based on information on Team-BHP, wanted to add some additional clarity on the 4 Cylinder Vs 3 Cylinder Debate. For complete article refer the following thread : URL

Here are some excerpts from the thread which clarify that the refinement of the Ignis is not due to the less weight alone. Not just the Ignis, any 4 cylinder vehicle is more refined than a 3 cylinder vehicle and specifically 4 Cylinder engines are better at lower speeds:

Three Cylinder Engine:

Four Cylinder Engine:

Four Cylinder Better for City Driving & Three Cylinder Makes up for the lack of the Additional Cylinder during Highway Driving

This information is posted for the benefit of everyone's understanding - please provide corrections if there are inaccuracies from what is quoted above
Thanks for the information. After going through it, I found some fundamental errors in it. I'm no expert in engines but I do have some understanding of the theory of IC engines.

3 cylinder engines do have fewer power cycles per revolution of the crankshaft compared to a 4 cylinder engine, but the original author of that post forgets that for the same total displacement, a 3 cylinder engine has larger​ displacement per cylinder than a 4 cylinder engine. So each power pulse is bigger. This is an advantage at low to medium speeds but 4 cylinder engines overtake them at medium to higher speeds as the power pulses are produced more frequently.

Essentially, to get more power from an engine, it needs to run faster and that can be achieved with more cylinders.

So the summary is actually the opposite of what that post states.
Motard_Blr is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th May 2017, 20:59   #1490
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motard_Blr View Post
So the summary is actually the opposite of what that post states.
I am confused - request some additional Experts on the forum to clarify what is the accurate explanation on this topic.

I have raised a note to GTO on the original thread. If that thread I quoted is incorrect then we need to have it corrected so that people are not misled.
Old 21st May 2017, 16:52   #1491
BHPian

Somewhere on this thread there was a discussion about the remote Key not working after a week.

Seems like the explanation given for it is true, but it has become a cause of concern for Tata Motors, maybe they forgot to write about it in owners manual? Or too many people complained...
Received this sms last week on all my registered mobile numbers.

Tata Tiago : Official Review-1495356004775.jpg
Dr.Suraj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st May 2017, 17:04   #1492
BHPian

It is mentioned in the owner's manual but I think people may miss it.
archat68 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2017, 18:37   #1493
BHPian

Hello Guys,

So I have been driving my Tiago for 9 months now and I am not very impressed with the engine. Just wanted to know if the engine power issues I am facing are common or not. After reading through few of the pages in this thread it seems the engine is an underperformer especially when it's cold.
Now my issue is that when I start the car (cold start) I sometimes see the RPM needle going to around 1200-1400 RMP which seems ok as it comes down automatically after few minutes. Now I can see many times while driving in any gear with the RPM hovering around 1800 RPM, I feel engine missing or jerks. Also when carefully observing the RPM needle I see it jumping 50 RPMs up and down causing the jerks. Is this normal?
This can be felt excessively when the AC is on and also without AC but not that excessively. Will try to explain this to the SA in next service but wanted your advice. Please suggest.

Also in Bangalore traffic, I am only getting 10-11 kmpl average milage using tank full to tank full with AC on 50% of the time.

Thanks
_Karan
Old 24th May 2017, 22:09   #1494
BHPian

I am looking for a small hatch back and it appears in Hyderabad, dealers have 2016 models still available. With a mere 25K discount, XZ petrol is it worth buying for a 2016 model?
Old 25th May 2017, 08:09   #1495
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anumod View Post
I am looking for a small hatch back and it appears in Hyderabad, dealers have 2016 models still available. With a mere 25K discount, XZ petrol is it worth buying for a 2016 model?
Absolutely not. We're almost five months through in 2017; and 25k is too paltry an amount to compromise on getting a freshly minted car.

If you're extremely tight on a budget, negotiate this to much higher; else, just get a 2017 model even if it means you have to wait.
libranof1987 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th May 2017, 17:40   #1496
BHPian

Hello BHPians!!!!.
One of my friend booked TIAGO XZ petrol. Expected time was 3-4 weeks, but car came in a week only. To surprise car came fitted with steel rims & wheels caps instead of alloys. & now showroom guys said that company people will come & fit alloys. Has anybody encountered such scenario?

Need advice urgently as he will be doing PDI tomorrow. RTO forms are not signed yet.
Old 26th May 2017, 18:58   #1497
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tushar_b View Post
Hello BHPians!!!!.
One of my friend booked TIAGO XZ petrol. Expected time was 3-4 weeks, but car came in a week only. To surprise car came fitted with steel rims & wheels caps instead of alloys. & now showroom guys said that company people will come & fit alloys. Has anybody encountered such scenario?

Need advice urgently as he will be doing PDI tomorrow. RTO forms are not signed yet.
Did your friend book one with alloys? If yes, then the SA is right they would fit the alloy wheels before delivery. Since they have shortage of alloys, they gave an option to choose between Alloys or without Alloys and the cars come without alloys and will be fitted later based on the need.

But I would suggest ask your friend not to send it for registration, without them installing the alloys. If they insist, then he should make sure he gets that in writing.
Old 26th May 2017, 20:13   #1498
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tushar_b View Post
Hello BHPians!!!!.

ask your friend to check the vin number. As per Hyderabad dealers the Alloy was on shortage in 2016 and the current stock of 2016 cars are with steel rims. All the 2017 ones are coming with Alloys
Old 26th May 2017, 20:21   #1499
BHPian

Thanks for your reply:
Following are the VIN details:

VIN: MAT626344HKE28870
Engine No. : REVTRN02ESYK22921.

As per decoding H -2017 , E - May .
Is this correct?

Let me know.
Old 27th May 2017, 10:19   #1500
BHPian