Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 14th November 2017, 15:55   #1726
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tata Tiago : Official Review

Official communique dated 4 and half months back, which says that under-bonnet insulation hood for Tiago petrols has been discontinued:

Tata Tiago : Official Review-tiago-under-bonnet.jpg

Can anyone who has taken delivery of a Tiago petrol after the said date confirm this?
RavenAvi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2017, 16:43   #1727
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Official communique dated 4 and half months back, which says that under-bonnet insulation hood for Tiago petrols has been discontinued:

Can anyone who has taken delivery of a Tiago petrol after the said date confirm this?
A lot of people were complaining about the missing under bonnet insulation.
Old 14th November 2017, 16:58   #1728
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinuchel View Post
Completed 1 yr and 15500km in my Tia XZ P.
1. For 5.85 onroad, overall this is the best car available.
2. A really premium vehicle for the price.
3. Less on pickup but compensated more than enough by good mileage
4. Solid body and build gives a feeling of a very safe car, excellent brakes too complement the fact.
Plan to post a detailed review soon (provided it gets accepted here )
So any suggestions for paint modification jobs? To get a unique standalone color ( my color is sunburst orange)
Already an year with Tiago huh! Congrats buddy.
I thought you were among the first owners of the car but did some digging and found out the car was launched close to 18/19 months back. The car still feels like a brand new car fresh from launch. TATA has slowly but consistently and more important patiently made TIAGO a success story. They even had a last minute setback with the name and still they moved past it. This is one car they can be really proud of.
RaghuVis is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th November 2017, 17:23   #1729
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motard_Blr View Post
The fuel filler lid refused to open and after coaxing it open, I figured out that is because of the hinge which is very stiff.
I sprayed a couple of squirts of wd40 on the hinge and it did the trick! The lid now moves freely and pops open when the opening lever is pulled.

I think that even the service centre write have done the same.
Old 15th November 2017, 20:16   #1730
BHPian

I test drove Tiago XZA and got the following quote from dealership in Udupi-Karnataka.
6.71laks (includes insurance 23.7K, handling fee 5k, basic accessory 2,6k, extended warranty 4.7k, silver AMC 3.9k).
My first off feeling
- Is the insurance part high. Is it a good idea to go for an external Insurance?
- Handling fee I asked for a waiver. Still in discussion
- Basic accessories includes just floor mats and mud flaps.
- For total 7k i can get extended warranty 48months. This seems reasonable?
- I asked for Gold AMC 3years and the quote is 15k. Is this reasonable?
- Under body rust protection coat: costs 3k additional. Its necessary for coastal area.

No other discounts, no exchange offers

Can someone shed some light on these point in comparison to your experiences?

-UB
Old 15th November 2017, 20:44   #1731
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by UB_007 View Post
I test drove Tiago XZA and got the following quote from dealership in Udupi-Karnataka.
6.71laks (includes insurance 23.7K, handling fee 5k, basic accessory 2,6k, extended warranty 4.7k, silver AMC 3.9k).
Quote:
My first off feeling
- Is the insurance part high. Is it a good idea to go for an external Insurance?
Yes, 23k does seem a bit high, compare the prices with other companies before finalizing. You can save close to 10-11k if you have NCB of previous car. I did the same in August 2016.

Quote:
- Handling fee I asked for a waiver. Still in discussion
I have mentioned about the same in a dedicated thread. Check it here.

Quote:
- Basic accessories includes just floor mats and mud flaps.
Right, but mud flaps are there on XZ trims IIRC. Aftermarket mats (3D) can be bought for ₹900-1000 from Store or from Amazon.

Quote:
- For total 7k i can get extended warranty 48months. This seems reasonable?
This being a Tata, I would suggest you to opt for Extended Warranty. 7k is not a big amount.

Quote:
- I asked for Gold AMC 3years and the quote is 15k. Is this reasonable?
It's 15k across the range. But, take this into consideration. I didn't opt for any AMC during purchase. My 1st service cost me just ₹1700. So, even if you consider the other 2 years, it'll be less then 6-7k. The AMC doesn't seem to be useful for a car like Tiago. 5k / service isn't likely to happen unless any major (expensive) changes are required.

Quote:
- Under body rust protection coat: costs 3k additional. Its necessary for coastal area.
For a coastal city like Udupi, I suggest you to get it done. Get quotes from other FNGs or brands like 3M before proceeding ahead.

Quote:
No other discounts, no exchange offers
Obviously, with it being the most in demand & highest selling car, expect discounts to appear only if the sales numbers are down by a huge margin.
CarguyNish is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th November 2017, 12:22   #1732
Distinguished - BHPian

Owners, what is the bulb type of the fog lamp of Tata tiago? Is it H8 or H11?
Old 17th November 2017, 21:46   #1733
BHPian

Can anyone please elaborate on service intervals and average service cost of the Tiago (P)? Existing owners, kindly guide.
Old 17th November 2017, 21:57   #1734
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Owners, what is the bulb type of the fog lamp of Tata tiago? Is it H8 or H11?
Bulb spec is H16, 19W for the fog lamps.

Tata Tiago : Official Review-bulb-spec.jpg
nkrishnap is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2017, 19:26   #1735
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Make : Tata
Model : Tiago
Variant : 1.2L XZA
Booking Date : 09/11/2017
Color : Espresso Brown
Expected Delivery Date : First week of December, 2017
Tata Tiago : Official Review-img20171123wa0062.jpg

Our XZA has reached the dealership. October 2017 make.

Tata Tiago : Official Review-img20171123wa0071.jpg

Tata Tiago : Official Review-img20171123wa0070.jpg

Tata Tiago : Official Review-img20171123wa0067.jpg

It has passed my thorough PDI.

3 things are missing in our car, compared to the Tiagos manufactured before September 1st of this year -

1) under-bonnet insulation hood for petrols,

Tata Tiago : Official Review-img20171123wa0066.jpg

2) the boot lamp on the right side under the parcel tray,

Tata Tiago : Official Review-img20171123wa0060.jpg

and

3) the strings which are attached to the parcel tray and the boot lid on the underside, which made the parcel tray lift up automatically when the boot lid is opened. To make matters worse, holes for those strings are left on either side of the parcel tray which are a real eyesore.

Tata Tiago : Official Review-img20171123wa0068.jpg

Thankfully, the under-bootlid hood is still there in our car. Some recent owners have reported this as missing in their XZs.

Tata Tiago : Official Review-img20171123wa0069.jpg

Also, the spare wheel is a 13-incher, not a full-sized one.

Planning to buy a stock 14" alloy to use as the spare. Have talked to the dealership for the under-bonnet insulation hood and the boot lamp and they have said they will get them fitted. I shall see about the parcel tray strings.

Tata Tiago : Official Review-img20171123wa0063.jpg

Will be taking delivery tomorrow morning.

Thanks to all Tiago petrol owners, MT & AT alike, for your valuable feedback in this review thread and in the ownership reports posted so far.
RavenAvi is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2017, 20:08   #1736
BHPian

Quote:
Congrats Avinash, Tiago XZA is a great city car. Wishing you and family many many miles of happiness.

Espresso Brown is a classy shade. Good you are going in for under bonnet insulation and spare wheel upgrade right at the outset.

Cheers
Uday
uday.ere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2017, 21:44   #1737
BHPian

Quote:

Thankfully, the under-bootlid hood is still there in our car. Some recent owners have reported this as missing in their XZs.

Also, the spare wheel is a 13-incher, not a full-sized one.

Congratulations, Avi!

My April 2017 XZ also didn't come with under bonnet insulation.

It did come with the boot lamp and unlike previous models, without a switch, as it comes on with the cabin lamp.

It's odd that the lifting strings for the hat rack aren't there. Did the dealer remove them for some reason and forget to reinstall later?

Mine is the XZ without alloy wheels but the spare is the same size as the other wheels, both rims and tyres.

It looks like TML is starting to cut costs realising that Tiago is too much value for money! I could live with a space or money saver spare wheel but the boot lamp is actually a big help. TML needs to be careful how deep they cut in trying to trim the fat lest they cut the flesh as well.

Last edited by noopster : 24th November 2017 at 13:05. Reason: Please don’t quote a large post in its entirety. It inconveniences our small-screen users
Motard_Blr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2017, 22:02   #1738
BHPian

Quote:

Congratulations!

Nexon ditched for this?

The strings have no reason to be missing. Please follow up with TML.
Missing boot lamp is too much cost cutting IMHO.

I love my XZA. Quite a competent car for the price. No doubt.

Mod Note : Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.

Last edited by .anshuman : 24th November 2017 at 11:05. Reason: See note in post
Dr.Suraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2017, 22:50   #1739
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Will be taking delivery tomorrow morning.

Thanks to all Tiago petrol owners, MT & AT alike, for your valuable feedback in this review thread and in the ownership reports posted so far.
Heartiest Congratulations,

A Good Color and a VFM choice there, wish you happy and niggle free ownership experience.

While the PDI has covered most part, I would like to list some points which I discovered post delivery. Would suggest you to check it on your car,

1. Fuel Lid - There might be some play & it won't open sometimes. Ask someone to pull the lever and you should open & close it. Do this 5-6 times.

I had a bad experience of fuel lid not opening when I was out for refill in a busy Outlet. I had to part out and after some tries the lid was jammed. It wouldn't open any further. Quickly checked the range and it showed 65 kms. Bar was at 1/10.

Decided to move on and reached home (3kms away) and next day took it to the Tata ASS, I complained them the same and they checked and told me that they'll replace the whole part (Lid/Hinge/Spring). The car was handed next day.

It's been working fine since, happy that Tata addressed the problem immediately.

2. Windshield Washer Reservoir - Located on the left part of the engine bay, the reservoir cap houses an lid and a air pipe. This is defective on my car. While filling water, the air doesn't pass and the reservoir becomes full within seconds. To negotiate this problem, I use one hand to fill and other to move the air pipe slightly. This way air can move and the tank fills with water to the brim after consuming around 3 lts.

While this is a minor niggle, it should be checked & rectified, especially who use windshield washer a lot. I top up only once in 45 days. So, it's not a big thing for me. Hence decided to skip replacement of this part.

Cheers.
CarguyNish is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th November 2017, 10:13   #1740
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks, guys.

Quote:
It's odd that the lifting strings for the hat rack aren't there. Did the dealer remove them for some reason and forget to reinstall later?
Not the dealer's fault. I was there when they unloaded our Tiago and we were the first to peek inside. No strings attached (pun intended) from the factory itself.

Quote:
It looks like TML is starting to cut costs realising that Tiago is too much value for money! I could live with a space or money saver spare wheel but the boot lamp is actually a big help. TML needs to be careful how deep they cut in trying to trim the fat lest they cut the flesh as well.
Such things take away from the feel good factor of owning the car. Now, whenever you cross another XZ/XZA on the road and realise that the other person's car is equipped with all those stuff which is missing in your Tiago, it is bound to leave a sour taste in the mouth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Suraj View Post
Nexon ditched for this?
Nexon is on hold, till the AMTs are launched. That, plus waiting for the initial batches to subside. Too many complaints from owners regarding niggles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Suraj View Post
The strings have no reason to be missing. Please follow up with TML.
Dealership was not aware of these missing stuff. They came to know through me. An email was sent yesterday itself, asking for clarification.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarguyNish View Post
1. Fuel Lid - There might be some play & it won't open sometimes. Ask someone to pull the lever and you should open & close it. Do this 5-6 times.

2. Windshield Washer Reservoir - Located on the left part of the engine bay, the reservoir cap houses an lid and a air pipe. This is defective on my car. While filling water, the air doesn't pass and the reservoir becomes full within seconds. To negotiate this problem, I use one hand to fill and other to move the air pipe slightly. This way air can move and the tank fills with water to the brim after consuming around 3 lts.
Thanks for the heads-up on those 2 issues.

Glad to know that the fuel lid not opening issue didn't cause much trouble for you. I shall inspect the windshield washer reservoir and see if it's working smoothly.
RavenAvi is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed