Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 22nd December 2017, 10:07   #1801
BHPian

Re: Tata Tiago : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
The effect of the insulation hood was immediately evident - the cabin now felt more quieter than before
Thanks for the feedback! This makes the hood insulation very important part then. I would certainly inform my in-laws to get in touch with dealership and get this part fitted. By the way, is this available as an accessory for petrol XZ model straightaway or do we need to push dealers to get this fitted?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motard_Blr View Post
Tata motors had started to cut costs to such an extent that they are removing useful and expected features and reducing the value of the Tiago.
Utterly stupid on part of Tata motors. It's no secret that petrol motor of Tiago is nowhere close to competitors. To top that, if Tata is so over-confident that they are cutting costs to save 500-odd rupees skimping on something that makes significant difference, I wonder how serious they are about the turn-around.

Quote:
Now that Avi was given the insulation FOC, I want the same for my car! I will make sure to ask the SA during my next visit to the service centre.
Did he get the hood insulation free of cost? Honestly, the cost is not high so one may not really mind paying for it so long as dealers don't give silly excuse that insulation is only for diesel and that petrol motor is so silent and refined that Tata doesn't believe in installing hood insulation!!
ksameer1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2017, 10:48   #1802
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Tata motors had started to cut costs to such an extent that they are removing useful and expected features and reducing the value of the Tiago.
In Hindi, there is a term called "chindi chori."

Hence my Twitter post/complaint started with the phrase "pound wise, penny foolish."

Quote:
The Tiago has been criticised from day one for having a noisy petrol engine. What does Tata do? Remove noise insulation and make it noisier!
The 3-cylinder Revotron, when heard from outside, sounds quite vocal. There is a definite reduction in that now, from how it sounded yesterday.

Quote:
Tata, why are you becoming like Maruti? Penny pinching to cut costs is only damaging the value perception of the Tiago in a slow but steady slide. At this rate, the XZ should be badged XT in about a year.
That was my point to both Tata and the dealership. If I am buying an XZ variant today at an increased price compared to another customer who picked up his XZ 9 months back at a price lesser than me, but his XZ has features which have been removed from mine, it's simply not acceptable. For someone who is willing to pay Rs 6.5 lakhs, another 5K won't hurt. Take it, but at least give me the original, fully-loaded car!

Removing a set of parcel-tray strings, even! Gee whizkers!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksameer1234 View Post
By the way, is this available as an accessory for petrol XZ model straightaway or do we need to push dealers to get this fitted?
Nope. It's a separate part which must be ordered by the service center. Not listed under accessories, but OEM parts.

Quote:
Utterly stupid on part of Tata motors. It's no secret that petrol motor of Tiago is nowhere close to competitors. To top that, if Tata is so over-confident that they are cutting costs to save 500-odd rupees skimping on something that makes significant difference, I wonder how serious they are about the turn-around.
Maybe some bright MBA in their corporate office came up with the idea - "We are selling 8,000 Tiagos in a month. That's close to 1,00,000 Tiagos in a year. Let's remove the Rs 5 (or less) worth of parcel tray strings. That will add up to Rs 5 lakhs worth of savings annually!"

Shabaash, beta!

Why not keep them and increase the price by 2 rupees to earn an additional 2 lakhs annually?

Quote:
Now that Avi was given the insulation FOC, I want the same for my car! I will make sure to ask the SA during my next visit to the service centre.
Quote:
Did he get the hood insulation free of cost? Honestly, the cost is not high so one may not really mind paying for it
Yes, I did. They said the instructions came from above (Tata's CRM department) to provide the insulation hood & boot lamp FOC to me.

In the end, it all comes down to how your dealership values your relationship with them. For me, being a good friend of the owner of my dealership helped immensely. He was very pro-active in this regard. Also, since the sales from my dealership have been on a steady rise in recent months (good number of Hexas, Nexons & Zests, despite being a Tier-III city in the middle of nowhere), Tata might be paying extra attention to his dealership's customers, specially when he himself got involved in my complaint.
RavenAvi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2017, 11:08   #1803
BHPian

Quote:
For someone who is willing to pay Rs 6.5 lakhs, another 5K won't hurt. Take it, but at least give me the original, fully-loaded car!
True. Tiago isn't really all that cheap now after frequent price hikes. Also, Maruti Suzuki has upped the game and there are offers on Baleno and Ignis while Tata dealers have perennial attitude of take it or leave it.

Quote:
Yes, I did. They said the instructions came from above (Tata's CRM department) to provide the insulation hood & boot lamp FOC to me.
Good that Tata hass been proactive here. However, I don't think others are going to be so lucky. Guess Tiago will just have to live with the baggage of even more noisier than usual petrol engine.
ksameer1234 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2017, 12:23   #1804
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chennai-indian View Post
I bought a Tiago XZA from Concorde Chennai 3 weeks back. Under the bonnet insulation is NOT part of the car. It is not there in my Tiago and I was told that Tata has removed that, the boot light as well as strings that attach the boot cover. If they say that it will be there in the car you book, please check the month of manufacture of the car.
I did check with the dealership on the Under Hood Insulation and the SA confirmed that this is not available in all the new cars. This is not good for TATA as many people are feeling disgruntled and that might affect sales of TIAGOs. Are they spoiling their own image with this small feature?

I sincerely hope that this will be immediately corrected by TATA before more and more people become vocal on this.
pradeepnair is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2017, 14:52   #1805
BHPian

My Tia XZ got it's first puncture. Managed to scrape a stone and rim was bent. Is it possible to repair the bent rim (alloy wheel).
Also my Tia has completed around 17k km. I want to install more durable and long lasting tyres. What is the best available tyres for Tia?
Old 24th December 2017, 10:29   #1806
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinuchel View Post
My Tia XZ got it's first puncture. Managed to scrape a stone and rim was bent. Is it possible to repair the bent rim (alloy wheel).
Also my Tia has completed around 17k km. I want to install more durable and long lasting tyres. What is the best available tyres for Tia?
Hello.

What do you mean by best tyre? Do you mean best grip, best price, best appearance, best life, etc?

Realistically, the XZ already comes with a good set of tyres. They offer a good compromise between grip, comfort, noise and strength. While there are better tyres, the difference won't be night and day. Your damaged tyre and rim are just bad luck. It could have happened to any car.

There is a lot of information in the tyres and alloys sub-forum. Do check there to see what other members think of other tyres.
Motard_Blr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2017, 21:40   #1807
Senior - BHPian

Is the under bonnet insulation hood absent in petrol only or its diesel as well?
Booked a Tiago XZ diesel today but forgot to check this. Also, dealership told me they can't install boot lamp which I really need. Any other solution for this ?
Old 26th December 2017, 11:05   #1808
BHPian

We had finalised TIAGO XZA for my wife and had given token advance for the Espresso Brown colour. SA told that the ones that is available in stock will be the one provided for us. Probably october 2017 stock. But I told them very clearly that I will not accept the CAR if it has any minor issues of being there in the yard after the PDI. He also told me that he will provide VIN only after making the full payment. Till this time SA had been very prompt and open on what is possible and what will be done from his side. Looked like he did not hide any on my queries.

Can anyone suggest if I can ask for the PDI, VIN before making the final payment. Kindly Suggest. Is there anything else that I can put forth for getting a proper CAR.

Thanks in advance.
Old 26th December 2017, 11:30   #1809
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pradeepnair View Post
He also told me that he will provide VIN only after making the full payment.
Quote:
Can anyone suggest if I can ask for the PDI, VIN before making the final payment.
Not acceptable. You lose leverage once you've made full payment. Tell him you will release payment only after you've done PDI, which includes checking the VIN.
libranof1987 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th December 2017, 13:42   #1810
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pradeepnair View Post
Can anyone suggest if I can ask for the PDI, VIN before making the final payment. Kindly Suggest. Is there anything else that I can put forth for getting a proper CAR.

Thanks in advance.
This is the same way how we were treated while buying our Ciaz Zdi.
The sales guy said, no-one except the stock yard people is allowed to visit their stock yard and hence I can't do PDI myself.
Standard line which he threw ' Sir, believe me the car will be perfectly fine. We do 100 checks before getting it allocated' etc.

It's purely your luck which will / won't allow you to see your car in person before the official delivery.

In such case, what I can suggest you is DO NOT SIGN any paper at the time of delivery before inspecting the car.
I have usually seen sales guys taking sign on every document (even on feedback form) before the actual delivery happens.

Once you sign the Gate Pass, you indirectly accept the car as it is.
DriveOnceMore is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th December 2017, 17:15   #1811
BHPian

Quote:
That was my point to both Tata and the dealership.
Hello RavenAvi, How has been your exp with the Tiago in the highways. I am considering to buy one and wasnt sure about the highway capabilities of the car. Am looking at a Diesel one. Can it maintain sustained speeds of about 120/130 without much fuss? Can it do longhauls - say 800-1000kms one way and how comfortable it is.. Any inputs here will help.
Old 27th December 2017, 17:20   #1812
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sathya_sc View Post
Can it maintain sustained speeds of about 120/130 without much fuss? Can it do longhauls - say 800-1000kms one way
In short 'Perfectly'. I drive a diesel tiago and done numerous long to ultra long trips with speeds in triple figure and it just holds perfectly.
sparkguy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th December 2017, 20:38   #1813
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sathya_sc View Post
Hello RavenAvi, How has been your exp with the Tiago in the highways. I am considering to buy one and wasnt sure about the highway capabilities of the car. Am looking at a Diesel one. Can it maintain sustained speeds of about 120/130 without much fuss? Can it do longhauls - say 800-1000kms one way and how comfortable it is.. Any inputs here will help.
The car performs wonderfully well when it is in it's comfort zone - between 1600 & 2500 RPM. I don't drive beyond 100 kmph but at speeds between 80-100 kmph, the Tiago is completely stable and road manners are impeccable. I have done two highway trips till now (one was with 3 people + 1 child inside the car) and the car has been superb on both occasions.

The feedback from the steering wheel is adequate, direct and precise. The suspension works well to keep the in-cabin occupants comfortable. There is no tossing or jumping around. Small, uneven undulations are handled perfectly and it's only when going over a medium-sized pothole or speed breaker do you feel the suspension doing some extra work under you.

Lower the window and you can hear the slightly lumpy & throaty sound of the 3-pot Revotron (which I expect will be lesser now that our Auryn has been fitted with the under-bonnet insulation hood). The B250 tyres are decently grippy, although they are quite vocal, specially at steep turns.
There's also a bit of wind noise which creeps into the cabin at those speeds, but not enough to be a bother.

In one word - excellent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Is the under bonnet insulation hood absent in petrol only or its diesel as well?
I think it's limited to petrols only. But, best to check if it's there or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Also, dealership told me they can't install boot lamp which I really need. Any other solution for this ?
My dealership will receive the boot lamp soon and they have informed me that it will be fitted to the wiring of the rear light using a harness because Tata has removed any/all wiring inside the section.

Last edited by RavenAvi : 27th December 2017 at 20:53. Reason: added replies to Harry.
RavenAvi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th December 2017, 21:19   #1814
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkguy View Post
In short 'Perfectly'. I drive a diesel tiago and done numerous long to ultra long trips with speeds in triple figure and it just holds perfectly.
Quote:
the Tiago is completely stable and road manners are impeccable. I have done two highway trips till now (one was with 3 people + 1 child inside the car) and the car has been superb on both occasions.

The feedback from the steering wheel is adequate, direct and precise. The suspension works well to keep the in-cabin occupants comfortable. There is no tossing or jumping around. Small, uneven undulations are handled perfectly and it's only when going over a medium-sized pothole or speed breaker do you feel the suspension doing some extra work under you.

In one word - excellent.
Now that is quite reassuring. Gives me confidence. I will do a test drive shortly. Thanks for the inputs.
Sathya_sc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2017, 22:35   #1815
BHPian

Quote:
Now that is quite reassuring. Gives me confidence. I will do a test drive shortly. Thanks for the inputs.
In fact, as I mentioned earlier, Tiago handles potholes and undulations much better than my Honda City. The car just glides over even medium sized potholes while the City gets unsettled over them.
chennai-indian is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed