Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2018, 08:40   #1831
BHPian

Re: Tata Tiago : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by UB_007 View Post
You are right. It is the city mode and not eco mode (was a mistake). What you described is exactly what it is my XZA.

Additionally, based on your leads, I had written yesterday late night to Tata Motors about the missing underhood insulation and boot lamp. This morning I have received a prompt email mentioning they have directed my query to TaMo regional office Karnataka. Waiting for further actions.

-UB
Thanks to RavenAvi also. Could you please share the email id of TATA Motors. I have booked XZA with a token advance and planning to take delivery this month. I could get it done before I take delivery. Thanks in advance.
pradeepnair is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2018, 18:00   #1832
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pradeepnair View Post
Thanks to RavenAvi also. Could you please share the email id of TATA Motors. I have booked XZA with a token advance and planning to take delivery this month. I could get it done before I take delivery. Thanks in advance.
I wrote to this address customercare@tatamotors.com. Additionally, a twitter post with my query tagging Tata Motors. Company will then come back to you and provide the details of the territory sales manager responsible for your region.
However, in your case since you have still not got the car, I would suggest you ask your dealership first to arrange an insulation underhood and other deleted features in advance. If they do not agree to add these then you can write to Tata Motors.

-UB
UB_007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th January 2018, 18:02   #1833
BHPian

Please provide me advice on buying alloy for my XZ. I have bent one of my alloys and would like to change all the alloy together. What is the best quality alloy available? As most owners comment that the default alloy provided by tata is the Best...
Old 12th January 2018, 12:04   #1834
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinuchel View Post
Please provide me advice on buying alloy for my XZ. I have bent one of my alloys and would like to change all the alloy together. What is the best quality alloy available? As most owners comment that the default alloy provided by tata is the Best...
May I know what caused the alloy to bend? was there a side impact or you ran over some obstruction? was the tire damaged too?
Would be helpful for other owners and me to avoid such conditions. Any pictures?

-UB
Old 12th January 2018, 12:23   #1835
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinuchel View Post
All alloy rims are definitely softer than the steel rims. They are prone to bend and even break if it encounters large potholes or stones at high speeds. I think the best bet will be getting one alloy from Tata as replacement. Also check whether the damaged alloy can be repaired. Then it can be put in the spare wheel.
archat68 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2018, 14:44   #1836
BHPian

Congratulations on the new car. Your pictures looks lovely. Fantastic review with your comments. I just wanted to add a few of my comments to your points.

Quote:
-Harman Kardon music system is the highlight with 4 + 4 speakers.
Very true. I normally drive with volume level at just 4 or 5. Very good output.

Quote:
-AC performance is average when the outside temperature is +30°C
Tempertatures in Hyderabad are currently low so not had a chance to see how well the AC holds up, but so far even in the bright sunny Hyderabad noon time, i feel the AC works well. In fact, I always look at AC as one of the key criteria in a car as I get very uncomfortable when warm.

Quote:
-Cabin is silent at lower revs. At higher speed the insulation can be improved (Both engine noise and window sealing). As highlighted by fellow bhpians, the car is without an under bonnet cover but I have not driven a Tiago with under bonnet cover, therefore I have no comment on comparison. If someone has experience then on this please share.
I too did not get the bonnet insulators. I did not realise it was missing until i read this thread. Need to ask for it.

Quote:
-LED white light inside the cabin is nice.
I love this feature. It makes the car look more premium!

Quote:
-The Tata ConnectNext app gives the complete car details including owner info and service detail. However even after 4 weeks the system was not able to input extended warranty dates and gold AMC details due to some Tata server problem (this is what the dealer mentioned).
I have issues in connecting the NaviMap app to the ConnectNext system. While i follow the instructions as per rmanual, the NaviMap app always shuts down when i try to link it to ConnectNext.

Quote:
-The electric ORVM are not sturdy. Rattles and shakes on bumpy road (Noise is audible inside with windows closed).
I have no issues with the ORVM. No rattles or shaking.

Quote:
-Radio signal reception is very poor. I changed the antenna at the dealership but still get that hiss on the speakers.
I have no issues witih the radio as well. Works very well for me.

Quote:
-The headlamps on low beam lights the road very well. However, on high beam the road ahead is barely lit (Even with lowest setting) and the beam is projected somewhere in space above the road. Also sides are not well lit with high beam. Informed TASS but they have no idea. They said they adjusted during first service but nothing improved. Anybody experienced this?
My night time driving has been on well to decently lit roads, so not had a chance to use High beams. Will check it next time.

Quote:
-The fog lamps are of not much use. For me the light intensity looks not more than just a parking light of the higher segment car.
Very true! This is one thing i miss from the Nano that i sold for Tiago. The fog lights of the Nano was quite powerful. I am very disappointed with the Tiago fog lights

Quote:
-I miss the door unlock button when the engine is still running. At present need to reach to the lock knob and pull it up to unlock all doors.
A easier way of unlocking the door is to pull the door handle a bit. At a certain pressure, the central locking will unlock all door while the door still remains shut. If you cross that pressure point, the door will open. I consider this as a two stage door handle system, the first stage unlocks all doors, the second stage opens the door itself.

Quote:
-Electric button or button on key fob for the tail gate opening would be helpful. At present the tail gate can be opened from driver position with a lever or with the key on the tailgate.
I agree. Every time i have to unlock the boot while in the driver seat, i am painfully reminded of my stomach paunch!

Quote:
-The glove box is equipped with an AC vent but barely manages to keep it cool.
Very true. I felt the air coming out of the cooling outlet and it was barely a trickle. I doubt it will keep the glove box cool during summers.

Quote:
-The rear boot cover (Parcel tray) rattles on bumpy road. More felt (There is already a small felt sticker) under the cover is recommended on the seating surface which is plastic.
No complains here. Not getting any sound.

Quote:
-The rubber beading on the windows are uneven both at bottom and on sides. Sometimes when windows rolls up the rubber twists itself instead of guiding the glass. Quality of this needs to be improved.
Window beadings are fine for me.

Quote:
-Alloy wheel design can be improved. (Actually does not look like an alloy at a glance)
One of the main reasons i did not go for the XZ Alloy version was that i did not see any benifit from getting the alloy wheels, esp since the spare is a non-alloy as well.

Additional comments from my driving experience are:
- Engine vibrations can be felt strongly at time.
- The fuel unlock mechanism seems to have developed issues already. The last time i filled fuel, i had to stick the key in to fully open the lid as the pulling lever just made the lid open about a cm or so
- Took some time to get used to teh turn radius after switching from Nano!

All in all, i am very happy with the Tiago. It has been a month now and doing fine.
DriverR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th January 2018, 17:58   #1837
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriverR View Post
- The fuel unlock mechanism seems to have developed issues already. The last time i filled fuel, i had to stick the key in to fully open the lid as the pulling lever just made the lid open about a cm or so
I had the same thing happen to me and I too used a key to open it. Later when I had a close look at the fuel filler lid, I realised that the latch which actually locks the lid was fine but the hinge was very stiff. A squirt of WD40 and some repeated opening and closing of the lid solved the problem. This was about 2 months ago and the problem has not recurred.

I suspect that the problem exists in the first place because Tata motors doesn't apply any lubricant on the hinge and neither do the service personnel.
Motard_Blr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2018, 19:51   #1838
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by UB_007 View Post
May I know what caused the alloy to bend? was there a side impact or you ran over some obstruction? was the tire damaged too?
Would be helpful for other owners and me to avoid such conditions. Any pictures?

-UB
A sharp C shaped turn in road. A height difference of around 0.5 feet between road tarring and ground. I misjudged the curve and scraped the inside of rear left wheel on the edge of the road. As turn was taken at around 60-70 km he speed the alloy was bent. Will upload pictures.. puncture occurred when the sealed tubeless Tyre was separated from the alloy..
vinuchel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2018, 20:24   #1839
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post
All alloy rims are definitely softer than the steel rims. They are prone to bend and even break if it encounters large potholes or stones at high speeds. I think the best bet will be getting one alloy from Tata as replacement. Also check whether the damaged alloy can be repaired. Then it can be put in the spare wheel.
I was under the impression that it's the other way round. I used to suffer from bent steel rims, and I was advised to get alloys!
greenhorn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2018, 21:26   #1840
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
I was under the impression that it's the other way round. I used to suffer from bent steel rims, and I was advised to get alloys!
A quote from some site on the net
Quote:
The main disadvantage of alloy wheels is their durability. When impacted by the road, alloy wheels tend to bend and even crack more easily than tougher steel wheels. The aesthetic appearance of alloy wheels is also threatened as they are more easily prone to cosmetic damage.
Old 14th January 2018, 11:11   #1841
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
Alloy rims are softer and more susceptible to damage.
Old 15th January 2018, 11:14   #1842
BHPian

This is my first ownership review in any forum. So I apologise for lack of my writing skills.

Background:

I started driving car in 2006 after I bought a second hand Maruti Zen LX (1999) for Rs. 80000/- . Initially the use of the car was very limited. In 2010 my office shifted to Airport which is about 70KM round way and driving the Zen (which was almost 10 years old) daily was a bit difficult as it was a non-power steering version. The car also started to develop niggles. And petrol cost was too high to bear.

So my hunt for a newer diesel car started. In April 2011 came across a Swift Vdi in Kolkata which was about 3.5 years old, ran about 33000 Km and was in fairly decent condition. I negotiated with the seller for the car at 3.15 Lakh and closed the deal. The car served me well till 2017 despite its usual age related problems. The car developed some problem with the turbo and the steering became a bit hard. I drove it almost 60000KM and ODO was at 89000KM. On inquiring with the ASS the cost for turbo was quoted as 15K and steering wheel as 35-40K (forgot exact amount). Ironically the steering wheel assembly for newer Swift cost only 9K. I decided not to spend around 60K in a car which was 10 years old and decided for new car.

Why automatic:

This time I was looking for an automatic as due to a injury in my left leg driving a manual car in city traffic was becoming very hard.

The alternatives that were considered:

My budget was around 6L max. Initially I was looking for a used Corolla AT but due to persistence from my family I started looking for a new car.

In my budget not much option was there. It had to be an AMT hatch. So, I test drove Kwid, Celerio, Ignis and Tiago. Going from a Swift all were downgrades in respect of the front seat comfort and driving pleasure.

Rejected Kwid as there was no manual override in the gear shift.

Celerio was VFM package. But it was too lackluster package. Also felt the steering a bit hard. Celerio top model (AMT) was around 75K less than the Tiago XZA.

Ignis was a good car but was priced around 60-70K higher than the Tiago but lacked some extra features. The driveability of the Ignis was best among all the cars that I test drove. But the non availability of the highest trim in AMT version despite of higher price was a downer.

The most negative factor about the Tiago was the Tata brand name. I test drove the manual version of the Tiago XZ in April 2017. The AMT version was just launched and no AMT test drive cars was available with any dealers in Kolkata. I liked the car in totality but the infamous Tata ASS was pulling me back. Finally after 3 test drives of the car (manual verion) I booked a Tiago XZA espresso brown from K B Motors.

Booking experience:

K B Motors offered me 1.30L for my 2007 Swift VDi clocked 88000KM) and Rs. 10000 discount for Tiago. The booking experience was good and the SA came to my house and got the booking done at my home. The car was supposed to be delivered after around 3 weeks of time.

After booking the car I got a call from another dealer Lexus Motors. They informed me that they have a Berry Red and Sunburst yellow Tiago XZA in ready stock. Their test drive XZA had also arrived. So, they brought a Berry Red Tiago XZA for test drive. Also offered 1.5L for my Swift and agreed to match the discount of Rs 10000 offered by the other dealer. It was 30 th April, the last working day of the month and they informed that I have get the invoiced on the same day to get the offered price and discount. I was a bit apprehensive regarding paying the full amount without doing PDI. But finally took the plunge and on a Sunday afternoon and we went to the Showroom at around 7PM and the staff were waiting for us. Both Red and Orange were on display and after some going back and forth my son and wife choose the Tiago XZA Berry Red. So, the payment was done. Next day I did the PDI and everything was fine except a small nick (about 2-3 mm) on paint on the right rear window. It was agreed that it will fixed during 1st service. The ODO was around 50KM and they informed that their stockyard is in Singur which is around 40KM from city and they brought the car driving. So the odo reading appeared to be justified. The registration process was supposed to take about a week and they cannot deliver the car until the registration was complete. I noted the ODO and told them categorically that I will closely monitor it and it is not to be used for any test drive purpose.

The booking cancellation from the other dealer took some effort as they were not agreeing for complete refund. So I had to involve Tata Customer care and the refund was promptly made to me.

Delivery:

A lot of holidays came in between and the government offices were closed and finally I got delivery of the car on 11 th May 2017. I got the Insurance from Royal Sundaram which was about 4K lesser than the quote given by the dealer. Probably I was the first Tiago XZA owner in the Forum.

No freebies were given. The delivery was smooth although lacked anything special. I was given a box of wafers. Tata arranged all the important papers of the car in a neat folder. It was a office day and I went for delivery alone at around 1PM.

Tata Tiago : Official Review-car-delivery.jpg

I took 2 years extended warranty at the time of delivery. Later took 2 years gold AMC which almost covers all scheduled service costs of the car including the oil change etc.

Pros and cons:

I started driving the car to office and back. The office was now closer to my home and was a merely 8Km run each way. The driving of the AMT is a bit unique. Specially the lag between the gear shift between 1st and 2nd gear is quite horrible even after 8 month of driving the car. You have to be really sedate while driving the car else you will feel the jerks. Coming for a diesel manual it was quite a learning process.

The car was otherwise good. Very good interior, great stock music system. Fit and finish inside the car is quite great and is far better than any Maruti in the same price league or even higher. The car is easy to handle. Seating position can be adjusted due to the driver side height adjustable seats. Steering is tilt adjustable . I wish it had telescopic adjustments too. The seats however does not offer great support. Under thigh support is very much missing. The car is a perfect city car. Till now I never took her to highway. My left leg thanked me for my choice .

Being a XZA which is the highest variant we get all safety features like dual airbags, ABS, EBD, ESC. It was a very wise decision for Tata to offer the Tiago AMT version in the highest trim.

In a hot day if you park the car under sun for a few hour, the AC fails to cool the car. The car had to be switched to Sports mode for optimum cooling.

What I don’t like about my car is the suspension. It is too bumpy. The car behave like a boat sometimes. Despite several complaint it was not resolved. Everytime they blame tire pressure. Although I have a TPMS installed and check the pressure manually too with my own gauge. I’ll taking the car again to the ASS this weekend to resolve the suspension issue.

Initially I was driving the car in manual mode. It was FTD but the gearshift sometimes becomes a bit confusing coming from a manual car. In manual mode the gear downshifts automatically to prevent stalling if you fail to downshift in time while it doesn’t upshift automatically.

After a month or so I started to drive in full auto mode.

My daily commute is around 16KM in peak city traffic. At the time of writing this review the ODO stands at around 2300KM.

Service experience:

The 1st service was just washing.

During the second service I changed the engine oil and filter by paying extra. The FE increased a bit after the oil change. The car has run about 2300Km only in its 8 months of life as I was out Kolkata in between. Also my daily commute is very less (16KM). The present FE is around 12 which actually means 10KMPL (the MID shows about 2KMPL more) in complete city traffic with 50% AC.

The ASS at Tata service centers are not that bad but still needs much improvement. In this respect I found that Lexus Motors service center is more crowded with commercial vehicle owners and SAs are not much interested in listening. The other ASS of K B Motors is much better in this respect. It is less crowded, have proper seating place for customers.

Some mods that I have done to the car.

Seatcovers from Autofoam .

Tata Tiago : Official Review-seatcover.jpgTata Tiago : Official Review-seatcover2.jpg

TPMS installed, bought from Aliexpress. Cost was around 5K. Also changed the tires to Yokohama Earth1 185/65/14.

Tata Tiago : Official Review-tpms.jpgTata Tiago : Official Review-tire.jpg

Blacked out the roof and OVRMs with matt black vinyl. I planned to blacken the A pillar and C pillar too. But the odd shape is a problem and I think it will not look nice.

Tata Tiago : Official Review-car1.jpgTata Tiago : Official Review-car2.jpg

Smoked the tail lights. Only a little smoking was done instead of blackening.

Tata Tiago : Official Review-taill.jpgTata Tiago : Official Review-taill2.jpg

Installed LED bulbs in both headlights and fog lamps procured from Aliexpress. Cost was around 4K for both. Also the parking lamps were changed to white.

Tata Tiago : Official Review-headlamps.jpgTata Tiago : Official Review-fog.jpg

Installed autodimming IVRM with backup camera display procured from Aliexpress. The cost was around 9K. The autodimming feature is really useful at night. But the backup camera display hinders viewing the surrounding at night. I’m planning to install a separate display for the backup camera.

Tata Tiago : Official Review-ivrm2.jpgTata Tiago : Official Review-ivrm-back.jpgTata Tiago : Official Review-ivrmblack.jpgTata Tiago : Official Review-ivrmblack2.jpg

Leganza Noodle mat from Amazon. It was custom fit for Tiago. Cost me around 1500 after some offers.
Tata Tiago : Official Review-mat2.jpg
Tata Tiago : Official Review-mat1.jpgTata Tiago : Official Review-mat-car.jpg

Installed sunfilms on windows and front windshield.

Tata Tiago : Official Review-wsunfilm.jpg

Installed a active subwoofer as the bass was lacking. I don’t like very hard bass. Just the little bass that competes the music. It is very compact and offers more than sufficient bass for me

Tata Tiago : Official Review-sw.jpgTata Tiago : Official Review-sw2.jpgTata Tiago : Official Review-boot.jpg

Bought a ambicar electric car perfume from Amazon and installed just today.

Tata Tiago : Official Review-perf.jpg

DIY detailing whenever my time and health permits. I like my GTechniq C2V3. It is an amazing product. You can find my review of it in the Gearheads forum. My arsenal:

Tata Tiago : Official Review-detailing.jpgTata Tiago : Official Review-c2v3.jpg

More photos:

Tata Tiago : Official Review-car3.jpg
Tata Tiago : Official Review-car4.jpg
Tata Tiago : Official Review-car5.jpg
Tata Tiago : Official Review-car6.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Tiago : Official Review-steering-wrap.jpg  

archat68 is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 15th January 2018, 12:28   #1843
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
ed for new car. [u][i][b]

Installed LED bulbs in both headlights and fog lamps procured from Aliexpress. Cost was around 4K for both. Also the parking lamps were changed to white.

Attachment 1715237Attachment 1715238

Installed autodimming IVRM with backup camera display procured from Aliexpress. The cost was around 9K. The autodimming feature is really useful at night. But the backup camera display hinders viewing the surrounding at night. I’m planning to install a separate display for the backup camera.

Attachment 1715226Attachment 1715227Attachment 1715235Attachment 1715236
Nice mods to the car. Can you give the link the for the LEd headlight, they look to be quite good i.e. matching halogen design.
Old 15th January 2018, 13:20   #1844

Quote:
Congratulations on the new car. It looks great. Could you please provide links to all the mods? I like that mat. The ones provided by TATA is not very good.
Old 15th January 2018, 14:48   #1845
BHPian

Quote:

Loved the changes you have made. The car looks really nice.
Would changing the fog light bulb to led void the warranty? I would love to change the fog lights but have not done so over warranty uncertainty.

Last edited by DriverR : 15th January 2018 at 14:49.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks