Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 5th March 2017, 00:29   #1876
BHPian

Re: Ford Endeavour : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrahul View Post
I covered 500KM so far and it’s a been really smooth experience so far, touchwood!.
I managed to 11.4KMPL as per the MID.
2. I prefer keeping the AC to circulate the air inside the car. Every time I turn off the AC and turn on again, the SUV defaults to external air. Is there any setting that can change this behavior?
3. At the time of delivery SA suggested not to close the boot lid manually and always use the button to avoid the damaging it. Now, every time I get to office or mall the security guard just slams the door down instead of using button. How do you guys deal with it?
Congratulations. 11.4 kmpl is terrific.
For 2 ) It is designed to bring in fresh air when the car is parked. so everytime you start the car it will go back to letting air in.
3) Do not unlock the car at the security, tell me to come near you give instructions not to bang. i think that should work best.
blackbeast is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2017, 14:03   #1877
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nareshtrao View Post
1. Yes. This is normal. I too have the same habit of turning on AC after the engine warms up. However, I do turn on AC after a kilometer or two max. Also I switch off the AC a little while before shutting the engine. Don't recollect where I learnt these practices but am told goes a long way in maintaining both the compressor life and engine life.

2. That is a default. For some reason there is no option to change it. Hence I have made a habit of switching on "recirc" as soon as I switch on AC. By the way, it stays in memory for around 30 mins or so. If you restart the truck within that time, the last option selected comes on.

3. I normally open the window and yell - even before they reach to open - and ensure they stay away till it is open and then shut. No other way out

4. Don't have sunfilm and do not intend to fix either - so can not advice.

Pardon my ignorance, but how does switching on the AC a few minutes after cranking the engine and switching off a few minutes before shutting off the engine affect the compressor? I have never done that...

Also don't modern cars have an inbuilt mechanism where the compressor only kicks in a few seconds after the engine starts? At least that is how it seems to be in my Vento. You can actually feel the AC starting with a lag after the engine is cranked.

Many Thanks in advance...
Old 5th March 2017, 14:25   #1878
BHPian

Found this on Ford's Facebook page. There is a weekend event planned by Ford at Bangalore. Similar to what Toyota did, looks like its to showcase the vehicle capability. Not sure why they use only Red cars in their ads and marketing material, the other colors look good too.

Ford Endeavour : Official Review-capture.png

Last edited by sunishsamuel : 5th March 2017 at 14:26.
sunishsamuel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2017, 21:24   #1879
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lollapalooza View Post

Also don't modern cars have an inbuilt mechanism where the compressor only kicks in a few seconds after the engine starts? At least that is how it seems to be in my Vento. You can actually feel the AC starting with a lag after the engine is cranked.

Many Thanks in advance...
I'm not sure about merit of waiting for engine to warm-up or turning off the AC, lights, ICE before turning off the car. It is just a very hold habit and it is not going to away. Now, there may not be any benefit but I don't see any harm either. Agree?
nrahul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2017, 22:58   #1880
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunishsamuel View Post
Found this on Ford's Facebook page. There is a weekend event planned by Ford at Bangalore. Similar to what Toyota did, looks like its to showcase the vehicle capability. Not sure why they use only Red cars in their ads and marketing material, the other colors look good too.

Attachment 1615662
I went for this event today. All the vehicles were 4x4 Titanium. Except for one black, rest were sunset red. Mostly dealer demo vehicles I guess.

The event had instructors from Terrain Tigers, an off roading events organizer. Instructors are with you throughout the drive, giving you tips on which mode to use, when to use diff lock, 4x4 low etc.

Overall about 30 min off road event. The drive started with a pretty steep descent show casing the hill descent control. Just let go of the accelerator and use steering buttons to control speed. Next was knee deep muddy slush through a near 180 degree turn, then some water wading, chicken holes where the diagonally opposite wheels are in air, a few very rough and steep climbs, couple of 30 degree side inclines, then the icing on the cake- a 70 degree descent. That one had my heart in my mouth. See attached video

Couple of observations:
1. I almost got stuck in the slush had it not been for the experienced instructor. This is probably where some off-roadies might find the manual version more forgiving. But in the hands of an experienced driver, this machine eats even the toughest terrain for breakfast.
2. I glided through the chicken holes much better than the rumble strips. Which speaks volumes about the chassis/body stiffness. The rumble strip was bouncy. Even with tyres on lower pressure setting. The chicken holes were 1.5-2 ft deep, rumble strips may be a foot high.
3. The ride quality on MRF stock tyres were very good for the rough terrain. In a few places the organizers had just cut the wild bushes to create a make shift path. But then the tyre pressure was set low.
4. The sun roof is just a cloth screen. But compared to very similar cloth screen design in Skoda cars, the underside of the screen was much cooler in the mid day sun. I was told Endy has an reflective coating on the outside, that keeps the sun roof from getting hot. The physics sounds correct. I recently drove a Chevy Cruz that had a thicker, padded sun roof but was much hotter from inside. So hot, that the a/c was struggling to keep up with the heat load. Endy's a/c was significantly better even with a larger sun roof.
5. This beast could certainly use front camera or birds eye view camera. I am 6'3". In some of steep descents, with me leaning forward and my forehead nearly touching the front windscreen, I just couldn't see the front for a good 50 ft. You need both the driver and co-pilot judging the path ahead.
6. One of the drivers, was my wife, a happy home maker, mother of toddlers, who never knew off roading all her life. She came back so happy, she now wants a 4x4 all for herself

Overall this thing is truly an amazing vehicle! These vehicles had been abused all day, and still performed like a stallion. All those rough terrain barely tested the passengers. But for off roading, the drivers do need good experience else this thing will insulate you from the terrain. Steering was effortless.

The event was very well organized. There was a good crowd. Staff was very courteous and always accommodating. A big Thank You to Ford India, Terrain Tigers, Blr dealers and others behind the scene. Truly appreciate the efforts you have put in.

Not to start another Fortuner vs Endy fight, but saw two Fortuner owners swearing how much better the new Endy is. One of them even said this Endy is a clearly a class above current Fortuner.

A 3.2 4x4 Endy manual could be very interesting.

Czarcarsm is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 6th March 2017, 11:48   #1881
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcarsm View Post
I went for this event today. All the vehicles were 4x4 Titanium. Except for one black, rest were sunset red. Mostly dealer demo vehicles I guess.

The event was very well organized. There was a good crowd. Staff was very courteous and always accommodating. A big Thank You to Ford India, Terrain Tigers, Blr dealers and others behind the scene. Truly appreciate the efforts you have put in.
How and when do you get to know of these and how do you join? Appreciate the advice.

Last edited by Rehaan : 10th March 2017 at 12:02. Reason: Shortening quote by removing video...
nareshtrao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th March 2017, 13:50   #1882
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nareshtrao View Post
How and when do you get to know of these and how do you join? Appreciate the advice.
I came to know through my dealer as a future customer. But saw several existing 4x4 Endy owners. Not sure how they got to know. May be keep a good connect with the top selling dealers. Metro and Cauvery in Bangalore.
Also try contacting Ford India periodically to know schedule of next event.
This event is organized by Ford marketing, so best is to have a connect with someone in that chain all the way to the dealer. Including Terrain Tigers.

Last edited by Czarcarsm : 6th March 2017 at 13:52.
Czarcarsm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th March 2017, 01:34   #1883
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrahul View Post
I covered 500KM so far and it’s a been really smooth experience so far, touchwood!. The 1s
I did one 160KM highway trip and with very light foot or no foot (cruise control) driving I managed to 11.4KMPL as per the MID. For a 3.2 litter engine this is very reasonable to me.

Now, I few questions/observations:
1. It takes quite some time for the engine to get to standard operating range temperature. I have habit of not turning on the AC in the morning till the engine temp gets in the operating range. It takes almost 10 minutes for this in Endy. Is it normal?
2. I prefer keeping the AC to circulate the air inside the car. Every time I turn off the AC and turn on again, the SUV defaults to external air. Is there any setting that can change this behavior?
3. At the time of delivery SA suggested not to close the boot lid manually and always use the button to avoid the damaging it. Now, every time I get to office or mall the security guard just slams the door down instead of using button. How do you guys deal with it?
4. What are my options for sunscreen for windows? Is 3M 70CR is a good option?
11 plus kmpl is a superb mileage for the beast

Answering your quaries in the same order

1)Normal,that's the time taken for the Coolent to heat up

2)Try switching the AC on with the recirculation button(both AC and recirculation will come on)

3)No harm in closing lid manually as it is designed to be operated both ways (read the owners manual)

At the mall I usually ask the security to step aside and operate the boot lid by myself

4)I am using the brand " laser shades"
They are magnetic and easy to remove and jnstall

Superb sun control and great visibility at night too
ecosport rules is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2017, 09:06   #1884
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecosport rules View Post

I sent a mail to the Laser Shades "contact us" link through their website. Here is the response I got:

Hello Naresh

Thank you for your enquiry

We currently do not have shades developed for this model.

Please kindly check back with us in the coming months.

Kind Regards,
Cara

Last edited by nareshtrao : 10th March 2017 at 09:07.
Old 10th March 2017, 09:30   #1885
Team-BHP Support

Updates Available for Transmission & Engine Management

I got my first service done the day before and on my insistence, they connected Truck to Ford Server. There are 2 Major upgrades one for Transmission and other for the engine. Gear changes are definitely better and the engine makes less sound when pulling from rest. I clicked photo for one. Recommended getting these done at service or earlier.
Attached Thumbnails
Ford Endeavour : Official Review-ford.jpeg  

Last edited by Turbanator : 10th March 2017 at 09:31.
Turbanator is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 10th March 2017, 12:30   #1886
BHPian

Couple of questions for those who own the 3.2 version

1/ does the vehicle have single touch up and down on all 4 windows? The brochure does not say so but when I took a TD the sales guy said it does and I couldn't check

2/ does the second row have ISOFIX to attach the child seat?

3/ Brake assist seems to be a missing feature or they have just not mentioned it?

Thanks a lot!
Old 12th March 2017, 09:24   #1887
BHPian

Quote:
11 plus kmpl is a superb mileage for the beast

2)Try switching the AC on with the recirculation button(both AC and recirculation will come on)
Thanks a lot. This worked like charm and is really easy workaround.

Quote:

I was not able to locate the dealer for the laser shades, even online. Can you please share some pointers to purchase these?

Quote:
Couple of questions for those who own the 3.2 version

1/ does the vehicle have single touch up and down on all 4 windows? The brochure does not say so but when I took a TD the sales guy said it does and I couldn't check
Yes, all 4 windows have single touch up and down, both from driver side and from each individual window. You can also open close all windows and sunroof using remote.

Quote:
2/ does the second row have ISOFIX to attach the child seat?
If you mean middle row then yes there is ISOFIX.
nrahul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2017, 14:14   #1888
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

How do we know the noise cancellation feature is working?

Also I am consistently getting only about 8.5 km/l on long drives (3.2 l engine). Engine management update could help?

Please let me know your thoughts.
Old 12th March 2017, 14:45   #1889
BHPian

I went for my second test drive today and the SA told me that Ford is planning to offer 5 year warranty starting next month. And all existing owners who are still in the base warranty can upgrade to the extended warranty. This is from Bhavana Ford in Navi Mumbai.

Don't know if he was just making things up because this came in the context of Fortuner coming with 5 year warranty.
Old 12th March 2017, 15:16   #1890
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sknair View Post
How do we know the noise cancellation feature is working?

Also I am consistently getting only about 8.5 km/l on long drives (3.2 l engine). Engine management update could help?

Please let me know your thoughts.
No 1 is easy. When you drive the vehicle, the noise cancellation creates an eerie silence in the cabin which is easily identifiable. To check it, turn the sound system On, at a low volume and rev the engine, you will not feel any difference.

What speeds do you maintain on highways? How many km has your vehicle done?

Most Viewed