Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th June 2017, 13:27   #2356
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Ford and GM are two completely different Cos' in their approach towards India and there is no way Ford is quitting India anytime soon. GM was confused in in its product offerings and line up and a lack of commitment was clearly seen after the Cruze.

Ford on the other hand has been very serious and focussed on India across all its products so far and has tasted good amounts of success with the Ecosport and the Figo/Fiesta twins. They have clear plans laid out for the next 2-3 years and with an Indian (Anurag) at the helm, they are in for the long haul.

PS: Even Fiat ain't quitting but that is for different reasons.

Are you saying this based on how you see things/your analysis or do you have connections within Ford and this is their assessment? Not questioning your analysis just trying to understand things better.
lollapalooza is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2017, 10:04   #2357
BHPian

Re: Ford Endeavour : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUVolens View Post
Hi,

I'm about to complete 10,000 kms on my 3.2 and wanted to check on a few things from owners who've already been through this stage:

1. Should I stick to the cheaper Ford-supplied synthetic blend or opt to buy my own 5W30/10W40 fully synthetic from a reputed brand?
2. Any specific brand that has worked well for anyone here and what exactly are the perceived benefits over the 'feel-good factor' or running fully synthetic?
I would suggest you stick to Ford semi-synthetic for the initial free service. The reason being, it is actually good to use semi-sythetics in the initial run in period for getting optimum clearances. Depending on how long you plan to keep the vehicle, later you can either switch to synthetic or semi-sythetic. I had a rather longish write up in this thread a few pages back on synthetics.
Also not all full synthetics are Ford approved. I think Mobil-1 is but Shell is not. Page 227 of the owners manual has the Ford spec for engine oil as WSS-m2c913-d. I would suggest you check to see if your brand of oil meets this spec. Usually it will be listed.

Quote:
3. I'm torn between running the car through the service before or after a drive through Spiti next month. The Service Advisor assured me that a few (up to 1200) kms over the 10k odo will not matter on warranty, but I fear that it would be nicer to have a 'cleaner' engine on the way up through that terrain. Any intel on that?
For the same degraded oil quality, newer engines undergo more stress. This is also the stage where you need to put some extra caution and care to the engine. I would recommend you change it before the trip knowing that your next oil change (20k kms) may be 1200 kms longer. Spiti being high altitude, the engine is anyway going to see higher stress and possible higher loading from additional fueling (to compensate for low density air).

Quote:
Originally Posted by lollapalooza View Post
So I am someone who had booked an Endeavour 3 months back only to cancel when the GST rates were announced. And now I face decision time again in a weeks time when GST becomes a reality. But now I find my selves at crossroad again. With the murmur about Ford quitting India, I am in a dilemma again - Endeavour or Fortuner. And this is largely due to the absolutely horrible service experience (and equally wonderful driving experience) with my Volkswagen Vento. And I absolutely dread being in a scenario a year or two down the line if Ford does decide to quit and the service centre has no incentive to serve me. With a week to make a decision, I can sense it's going to go down the wire and it can now swing either way...
Just read an article in Economic times about luxury cars in India. To quote the MD & CEO of Mercedes-Benz India - "The perceived value of a luxury car to a customer is the biggest challenge in brand building"
To me when you buy an Endeavour, you are buying a luxury car. Fortuner is a big block of a vehicle, no where near any of the luxury vehicles. So at the end you need to ask, do I need a luxury vehicle or just a big giant on the road.
I dont think you need to worry too much about peace of mind, service experience etc. Ford is very well there these days. Endeavour owners get special attention on top of that.
Best wishes.

Last edited by Czarcarsm : 28th June 2017 at 10:06.
Czarcarsm is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th June 2017, 19:32   #2358
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oblivion View Post
Did anyone felt that Endeavour 3.2 struggles a bit while shifting from 1 > 2 > 3. I mean there is a slight lag or ECU gets a bit confused sometimes in lower gears. Is this a normal AT effect and will it get smoother over time?

Mine has clocked 1600 kms with average fuel consumption between 8-9 kmpl. So far I am happy with the performance of the beast.
Yes, It does. I have 2.2 it does too. In fact, I noticed this even before purchase But ignored that. It has been almost 1.5 years, and after crossing 14K, I realized that I do not face it much now. After reading your post for the past two days I have started paying attention now and yes, it is still there. I strongly believe that it is the Engine gear shift ratio mismatch.
Old 29th June 2017, 20:10   #2359
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agbenny View Post
Yes, It does. I have 2.2 it does too. In fact, I noticed this even before purchase But ignored that. It has been almost 1.5 years, and after crossing 14K, I realized that I do not face it much now. After reading your post for the past two days I have started paying attention now and yes, it is still there. I strongly believe that it is the Engine gear shift ratio mismatch.

On the 3.2, it may be designed so, to give good low end torque, in combination with 4x4 low. My guess is, this is probably for the off-roading muscle. I remember during the off-roading capability demo, this vehicle was able to pull out of some serious slush or steep climbs at very low speeds.

On regular daily commute what I do is, instead of continuing up the acceleration curve, once I hit a decent 1st gear speed, I ease back on the accelerator, ever so slightly. This shifts the gear one higher. Else it feels like a long drag going through 1-2-3. This shifting becomes a habit once you practice it. Else you have to use the sport mode.
Czarcarsm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2017, 07:17   #2360
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcarsm View Post
I would suggest you stick to Ford semi-synthetic for the initial free service. The reason being, it is actually good to use semi-sythetics in the initial run in period for getting optimum clearances. Depending on how long you plan to keep the vehicle, later you can either switch to synthetic or semi-sythetic. I had a rather longish write up in this thread a few pages back on synthetics.
Also not all full synthetics are Ford approved.

For the same degraded oil quality, newer engines undergo more stress. This is also the stage where you need to put some extra caution and care to the engine. I would recommend you change it before the trip knowing that your next oil change (20k kms) may be 1200 kms longer. Spiti being high altitude, the engine is anyway going to see higher stress and possible higher loading from additional fueling (to compensate for low density air).

Just read an article in Economic times about luxury cars in India. To quote the MD & CEO of Mercedes-Benz India - "The perceived value of a luxury car to a customer is the biggest challenge in brand building"
To me when you buy an Endeavour, you are buying a luxury car. Fortuner is a big block of a vehicle, no where near any of the luxury vehicles. So at the end you need to ask, do I need a luxury vehicle or just a big giant on the road.
I dont think you need to worry too much about peace of mind, service experience etc. Ford is very well there these days. Endeavour owners get special attention on top of that.
Best wishes.
Thanks for the clarity Czarcarzm. You're right of course - I'd read somewhere else too that during the 'bedding in' period, its better to go with the non-synthetic oils for more uniform abrading and eventually for better tolerances. Just forgot it in my enthusiasm to lavish excessive TLC on Surus.
Ford uses Castrol by the way - at least that's what my dealer, Riddhi Ford in Delhi told me. They also give you a choice of the fully synthetic Castrol Edge 5w40 if you opt for the more expensive lubricant. The standard lubricant is Castrol too and a semi-synth, not mineral. I'll go with the latter this time.

Thanks again. More reason to do the change now that news of inclement conditions up in Spiti are trickling in. Surus is in for the ride of his life, and by extension, us.

Well, whatever said and done, the Fortuner is running away with the numbers even though it initially looked like the Endeavour twins would give it a run for its money this time around. And the gap seems to be growing. I don't quite understand why exactly though. I mean, everybody knows that the Big T has always had magnetism that the Blue Oval would kill for - anywhere in the world. But even after such overwhelmingly superior reviews evrywhere, the Fortuner hegemony continues unabated. It cannot be down to outright blind faith alone. I do feel that the bells and whistles that come with the Endy were an overkill for people basically seeking a rough 'n ready go-anywhere transport. The original Fortuner was already that and more (it was also a better offroader than the Mazda-based Endeavour of yore). In the current iteration, Toyota just grew the appeal by making the Fortuner a little less Hulk and a lot more Captain America. Still effective (and I think, still better than the Ranger-based Endy in offroad chops) and now with a wider appeal with the 'sophisticate crowd'. Not Ford's fault for sprinkling some goodies on an excellent product. It's just that people would rather have a Cap Am than Iron Man for similar money. If they seek luxury, they'll swap two sizes down and head for the Germans. More driveway brag value you see.
Having said that, do I regret choosing the Ford over the Toyota? Never! I love what Surus does on the road. I've already seen how tough he is when it comes to idiots on the road. I just wish Ford sold more of these.
SUVolens is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th June 2017, 16:47   #2361
BHPian

Hi guys, I am noticing an issue in my 3.2 for the past few weeks. When I start the car, I get an odd dusty smell, after couple of minutes, it's fine. Car is now about 1.3 years with about 14k kms on it. Has any one experienced this issue? Any resolution.
Thanks in advance.
Old 30th June 2017, 17:10   #2362
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sknair View Post
Hi guys, I am noticing an issue in my 3.2 for the past few weeks. When I start the car, I get an odd dusty smell, after couple of minutes, it's fine. Car is now about 1.3 years with about 14k kms on it. Has any one experienced this issue? Any resolution.
Thanks in advance.
Is it coming from the AC?

If so, could be due to bacterial growth - nothing to be worried about, and can easily be solved.
Old 30th June 2017, 17:12   #2363
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
Is it coming from the AC?

If so, could be due to bacterial growth - nothing to be worried about, and can easily be solved.
Yes smell is coming from AC vents, what should I do?
Thanks.
Old 30th June 2017, 17:20   #2364
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yes smell is coming from AC vents, what should I do?
Thanks.
Check out this thread:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...-fan-hvac.html

What a lot of people recommend is turning the heating up to max + full blower and leaving it for a few minutes as the heat will kill the bacteria.

Other alternative is to ask the Ford A.S.S. to just clean it up but that will be at a cost.
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2017, 19:56   #2365
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks in advance.
I had the same issue after around 14 months. I changed the AC Filter behind the glove box. Figured the smell is from that filter. As pointed out below, it is perhaps bacteria growth on the filter.

Initially I got the filter cleaned and fixed but that did not solve the problem for long. Hence went for the change.

This is readily available in Ford Service Centers and costs Rs. 1855.

Last edited by nareshtrao : 30th June 2017 at 19:58.
nareshtrao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2017, 00:13   #2366
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks in advance.
Definitely the AC filter.
Could happen with any car

Just replace the filter or run heater on highest temperature till the smell is killed

Last edited by Aditya : 2nd July 2017 at 09:35. Reason: As requested
ecosport rules is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2017, 06:56   #2367
BHPian

Any price reduction for endevour?, looks like Fortuner is cheaper by 2.17 lakh post GST.
Old 2nd July 2017, 09:19   #2368
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Any price reduction for endevour?, looks like Fortuner is cheaper by 2.17 lakh post GST.
It should be applicable to all the SUVs in that price bracket
ecosport rules is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2017, 18:18   #2369
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcarsm View Post

On regular daily commute what I do is, instead of continuing up the acceleration curve, once I hit a decent 1st gear speed, I ease back on the accelerator, ever so slightly. This shifts the gear one higher. Else it feels like a long drag going through 1-2-3. This shifting becomes a habit once you practice it. Else you have to use the sport mode.
I remember this is is what did as a practice, that helped me to avoid the roar!

BTW - I never use Sports mode, assuming I would save fuel. Am I missing something, any best practices to use sports mode in the right time at the right amount of time?
Old 5th July 2017, 10:07   #2370
BHPian

Quote:
Here is the info:
Quote:
In Delhi, the price for the company’s flagship SUV, the Ford Endeavour, has been cut by Rs 1.5 lakh, whereas in Mumbai, it's cheaper by almost Rs 3 lakh. Prices of the Figo and Ecosport are down by Rs 2,000 and Rs 8,000, respectively, in Delhi. In Mumbai, the Figo will cost around Rs 28,000 lower. “We will pass on the benefits in the range of up to 4.5 percent across the range,” a Ford India spokesperson told PTI. The company, however, hasn’t mentioned if the price cut will also apply to the iconic Mustang.
Source: Autocar

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks