Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 2nd April 2018, 17:41   #2941
BHPian

Re: Ford Endeavour : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by agbenny View Post
Yes, you are correct. I use Manual mode all the time. For some reasons I have stopped using Auto (This is my first car with Auto), maybe I am missing something. I will try again.
I would recommend that too. Use the Auto mode and in a couple of days you will not even need to look at the AC, leave alone touching the buttons.

I would not encourage messing with the rear wiring as it would involve opening the PCB and short-circuiting certain points. The sensors will go crazy and other faults may develop.
nareshtrao is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2018, 10:04   #2942
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nareshtrao View Post
I would recommend that too. Use the Auto mode and in a couple of days you will not even need to look at the AC, leave alone touching the buttons.

I would not encourage messing with the rear wiring as it would involve opening the PCB and short-circuiting certain points. The sensors will go crazy and other faults may develop.
Thanks, Naresh. I will stay away from doing any electrical and stick to Auto mode.
With too many buttons on Dash, I trust every car manufacturer should think deep and work on usability, especially when people on the move use the buttons, takes their mind off-road, if not eyes for seconds. I am not sure about high-end vehicles. We still require physical buttons works at best, until the world fully moves to Voice control and AI. :-)
In Endy, I see the Tune knob is purely kept for aesthetic looks to maintain the design, and its use it very much less.
agbenny is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2018, 10:12   #2943
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agbenny View Post
Thanks, Naresh. I will stay away from doing any electrical and stick to Auto mode.
With too many buttons on Dash, I trust every car manufacturer should think deep and work on usability, especially when people on the move use the buttons, takes their mind off-road, if not eyes for seconds. I am not sure about high-end vehicles. We still require physical buttons works at best, until the world fully moves to Voice control and AI. :-)
In Endy, I see the Tune knob is purely kept for aesthetic looks to maintain the design, and its use it very much less.
Some good points. However, here are some more tips if you are not used to "Auto" mode in the past:

1. Pressing the On button switches on with the last used Temp setting
2. However, in Endy, the Recirc does not come on by itself and hence you need to select it if you drive on dusty smoky roads. Alternatively, you can switch on the AC by using the "Recirc" button and all of it will come on as usual
3. Lastly, you have to use the touch screen to select the "rear AC" under Climate
4. Point 3 takes to another interesting aspect you may like. You can use the Touch Screen to switch the AC on and off instead of the bottom buttons as well and ignore the physical switches completely.

Does the last point make it better for you?
nareshtrao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2018, 10:23   #2944
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nareshtrao View Post
Some good points. However, here are some more tips if you are not used to "Auto" mode in the past:

1. Pressing the On button switches on with the last used Temp setting
2. However, in Endy, the Recirc does not come on by itself and hence you need to select it if you drive on dusty smoky roads. Alternatively, you can switch on the AC by using the "Recirc" button and all of it will come on as usual
3. Lastly, you have to use the touch screen to select the "rear AC" under Climate
4. Point 3 takes to another interesting aspect you may like. You can use the Touch Screen to switch the AC on and off instead of the bottom buttons as well and ignore the physical switches completely.

Does the last point make it better for you?
Yes, Thanks a lot. In the same thread, I wrote about the recirc button which goes off automatically when the engine goes off. This is something I do not like. I like recirc settings in memory as well. But there is no solution to this, it seems.
Old 8th April 2018, 19:18   #2945
BHPian

A month old Ford Endeavour reportedly caught fire today at Yadagir District in Karnataka. No casualties reported. The car belonged to a local BJP leader who was busy with his campaign for the coming elections when the incident occurred.

Ford Endeavour : Official Review-57576.jpg

Source
KING DYSP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th April 2018, 20:32   #2946
BHPian

In case if anyone is interested, few Endeavour 2.2 MT available in Chennai used car market now.

Some of the pictures posted in the ad look suspicious though.

https://www.olx.in/chennai/q-ford-endeavour/

Last edited by LionX : 9th April 2018 at 20:38.
Old 9th April 2018, 20:44   #2947
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KING DYSP View Post
A month old Ford Endeavour reportedly caught fire today at Yadagir District in Karnataka. No casualties reported. The car belonged to a local BJP leader who was busy with his campaign for the coming elections when the incident occurred.

Attachment 1749832

Source

Found more images via Rushlane. (source)

Interestingly, this is not the first time FOrd Endeavour has caught fire. There was one incident when a test mule had caught fire in Australia and it had caught global attention. That time Ford had conducted thorough investigation and come to the conclusion that it was a one-off incident.

I hope they conduct a similar investigation for this incident as well. Or will they disregard as it happened in India?

UPDATE -

Found Video -

As per them, BJP Ticket Aspirant from Yadagiri Constituency Dr. Sharana Reddy's new Ford Endeavour caught fire today. This happened near a temple close by and it is reported that the fire happened due to a technical flaw in the car and more news will surface in the future on the unfortunate fire.

Attached Thumbnails
Ford Endeavour : Official Review-fordendeavourfire1.jpg  

Ford Endeavour : Official Review-fordendeavourfire2.jpg  

Last edited by mayanksabharwal : 9th April 2018 at 20:53. Reason: Found new Info, video
mayanksabharwal is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th April 2018, 21:58   #2948
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionX View Post
In case if anyone is interested, few Endeavour 2.2 MT available in Chennai used car market now.

Some of the pictures posted in the ad look suspicious though.

https://www.olx.in/chennai/q-ford-endeavour/
These has been lying with them for very long time (4-5 new endy). They bid & got this via Company auction. Didn't got positive feedback on these cars from factory.
Old 10th April 2018, 08:59   #2949
BANNED

Has there been any such fire incident with fortuner ?
Old 10th April 2018, 09:38   #2950
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexrabbi View Post
Has there been any such fire incident with fortuner ?
Not that I have heard of.
Old 10th April 2018, 10:24   #2951
BANNED

Hilux on which fortuner is based upon caught fire last year:
http://www.theherald.com.au/story/49...dden-car-fire/
One caught fire this year too:
https://www.newsbreak.ng/2018/03/bre...en-roundabout/
One fortuner burnt in 2015:
http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...rtuner-on-Fire!!!
chaudh2s is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th April 2018, 23:45   #2952
BHPian

I recently purchased a Ford Endeavour 2.2 Titanium (2018 model with sunroof). This thread did help me in my homework when I went through the selection process and I want to thank all contributors to this thread.

My last car was a Mahindra XUV-500 W6 which I bought in October 2012 and sold off in March 2018. Let me share with you the selection process which led to the decision to buy the Endeavour.

What was I looking for in my new car? :

My ownership experience with the XUV-500 was mostly positive. I have been writing about it here, a thread which has received about 2,60,000 views to date. I started looking for a worthy successor to my XUV a few months ago primarily due to the ‘5-year itch’ and also due to some reliability issues with my XUV. I decided that my new car should fulfil most of the following requirements :
  1. Should be a strong and sturdy SUV with high ground clearance, big wheels and enough power / torque to take me anywhere. Since I never did any serious off-roading during my life (and arguably too late to start now!) the ‘take me anywhere’ capability does not include lunar surface like terrain which can be negotiated only with an ATV or a blue-blooded 4x4 SUV.
  2. Should have a refined and modern diesel engine with adequate power / torque on tap but does not guzzle fuel.
  3. Should have very high reliability.
  4. Should have a good suspension which can absorb the craters and speed-breakers of Indian roads (I was far from satisfied with the XUV suspension).
  5. Should have enough space, comparable with XUV, for passengers as well as cargo.
  6. Should have modern features like ABS+EBD, traction control, electronic stability program, hill hold, airbags all around, high-tech MID, large display, navigation, good audio system, voice commands, multi-zone climate control, Android Auto, motorised tail gate, electrically adjustable seat (at least driver’s), electric parking brake, sunroof, etc.
  7. Should have front parking sensors in addition to rear parking sensors and camera.
  8. Should not have less street presence than XUV.
  9. Service costs should not be exorbitant.
  10. Should be within Rs 30 lakh to 50 lakh on-road price bracket. I was mentally prepared to pay upto 30% premium for Audi / BMW / Jaguar / Land Rover / Mercedes.
  11. And last but not the least, should be at least twice as good as my XUV-500 (otherwise why sell off my XUV which ran only 51,000 km and was virtually as good as new).

The elimination process :

For a guy like me who grew up seeing mostly Fiats, Ambassadors and Standard Heralds, the sheer range of cars available in the Indian market today is mind-boggling. Choosing a car, therefore, needs lots of homework. I started my homework and test driving about 3 months ago.

I do not wish to write a detailed comparative analysis of all the models I test drove because, firstly, I do not claim to be an authority on cars and, secondly, enough comparative studies have been done by Gurus here in Team-BHP and elsewhere. Let me just share my personal process of elimination :

Quarter finals : Tata Hexa, Mercedes GLA, Hyundai Tucson, BMW X1, Ford Endeavour, Jaguar F-Pace, Jeep Compass, Land Rover Discovery Sport.

Semi finals : Jaguar F-Pace, Ford Endeavour, Land Rover Discovery Sport, Hyundai Tucson.

Finals : Hyundai Tucson, Ford Endeavour.

And the winner was : Ford Endeavour 2.2 Titanium (newly introduced 2018 model with panoramic sunroof).

Other cars which I test drove but did not even make it to quarter finals : Toyota Fortuner, Isuzu MU-X, Volkswagen Tiguan, Mitsubishi Pajero Sport.

Car enthusiasts would note that all cars I considered are not exactly in the same segment. But I test drove all cars that excited me, and more importantly, I intended to buy if excitement turned to delight. I never test drive cars which I have no intention of buying.

Additional comments on some of the cars I test drove :
Hyundai Tucson GLS AWD : I was so enamoured by this car that I almost bought it. It has such a fantastic power to weight ratio (183 BHP and 400 NM torque pushing just 1497 Kg!) that it can give Mercedes GLA, BMW X1 or Audi Q3 a run for their money. I took three test drives on this car and when I pushed pedal to metal on a straight and empty stretch of road the car shot forward like a rocket! Additionally, the Tucson has an awesome array of modern and high-tech features and looks sweet too. Hyundai is also offering an incredible 3 years of FREE service on the Tucson!

The Tucson reached the ‘finals’ inside my head & heart but finally lost out to the Endy due to the following reasons :
  1. Low on space.
  2. Low on ruggedness.
  3. Poor ground clearance.
  4. Looks cute, but not macho. Furthermore, it looks almost identical to the Creta. Why do I need to keep explaining to my friends that my new car is not a humble Creta but a much more capable and costlier Tucson?
  5. Seems to have flopped in the Indian market so far. So resale value could be very low.

Toyota Fortuner : After a long test drive on all kinds of roads I was left wondering how on earth is it the hottest selling SUV in India in this segment. I found the ride quality very bad and the body roll unacceptably high. Additionally, the engine and many features are dated and haven’t been updated for ages. IMHO, Toyota is able to sell the Fortuner in large numbers in India only because its customers belong to a third world country and have limited choice of models. Would anybody buy a Fortuner today in the US or even in Thailand?

My Endy in front of Jayshree Ford, Jamshedpur
Ford Endeavour : Official Review-dsc_4590-medium.jpg

Ford Endeavour : Official Review-dsc_4594-medium.jpg

Ceremonial delivery of the car
Ford Endeavour : Official Review-dsc_4617-medium.jpg
debuda is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 13th April 2018, 12:40   #2953
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by debuda View Post
I recently purchased a Ford Endeavour 2.2 Titanium (2018 model with sunroof). This thread did help me in my homework when I went through the selection process and I want to thank all contributors to this thread.

As a happy owner of a 2.2L Titanium AT (without sunroof), I am delighted to read this report. You have explained well about the decision. Have a wonderful ride!

I have a question for you at the end. After my TD, I found no much difference within the City where I intended to ride almost 95% between a 3.2L and 2.2L. I never had any plans for off-roading. 3.2L enthusiasts may deny this. I simply found 3.2L not practical for an everyday user. My heart couldn't justify its low FE figures, high premium, lack of wow factor to justify the extra 1L. (3.2L owners, please do not feel offended). Since, you have TDed a wide range of SUVs, what made you to go for a 2.2 rather than 3.2? Would you please explain?

BTW- I love your transformation: Jawa (75-77); Bullet (77-88); M-800 (88-95); 118NE (96-01); Esteem (01-07); Swift VDi (07-12); XUV-W6 (Oct 12-Mar 18); Endeavour (Apr 18 onwards). A proud 4 decades of ruling over the roads. God bless! :-)

Last edited by agbenny : 13th April 2018 at 12:41.
agbenny is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th April 2018, 15:33   #2954
BANNED

I recently concluded a 2000 Kms round trip from gurgaon to benaras in my 2.2 AT. The overall FE for the trip stood at 13.85 Km/l which was 95% highway drive. The active noise cancelling in the car, suppressed the tire noise due to concrete surface of yamuna expressway such nicely, it made the journey all the more relaxing.
chaudh2s is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th April 2018, 22:28   #2955
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KING DYSP View Post

Attachment 1749832

Source
Looking at this picture, the fire seems to have started in the front seat area. The engine compartment is not on fire and later pictures also seem to indicate the engine bay side is not heated to the extent of the doors. From my perspective as an armchair investigator, I would have to conclude someone left combustible materials in the hot car in the front driver/ passenger area.

Most Viewed