Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 14th April 2018, 00:37   #2956
BHPian

Re: Ford Endeavour : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by debuda View Post
I recently purchased a Ford Endeavour 2.2 Titanium (2018 model with sunroof).
Congratulations sir, on the purchase of this beauty and thank you for a well written post that illustrated your elimination process.
I eagerly await your ownership thread and a few travelogues with this monster.
As was also asked by member agbenny, was the 3.2L version test driven and if yes, what finalized the 2.2 instead of the 3.2L version.
Enjoy your new acquisition and I wish you countless miles of peaceful and pleasurable ownership.
Ithaca is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2018, 23:24   #2957
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agbenny View Post
As a happy owner of a 2.2L Titanium AT (without sunroof), I am delighted to read this report. You have explained well about the decision. Have a wonderful ride!

I have a question for you at the end. After my TD, I found no much difference within the City where I intended to ride almost 95% between a 3.2L and 2.2L. I never had any plans for off-roading. 3.2L enthusiasts may deny this. I simply found 3.2L not practical for an everyday user. My heart couldn't justify its low FE figures, high premium, lack of wow factor to justify the extra 1L. (3.2L owners, please do not feel offended). Since, you have TDed a wide range of SUVs, what made you to go for a 2.2 rather than 3.2? Would you please explain?

BTW- I love your transformation: Jawa (75-77); Bullet (77-88); M-800 (88-95); 118NE (96-01); Esteem (01-07); Swift VDi (07-12); XUV-W6 (Oct 12-Mar 18); Endeavour (Apr 18 onwards). A proud 4 decades of ruling over the roads. God bless! :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithaca View Post
Congratulations sir, on the purchase of this beauty and thank you for a well written post that illustrated your elimination process.
I eagerly await your ownership thread and a few travelogues with this monster.
As was also asked by member agbenny, was the 3.2L version test driven and if yes, what finalized the 2.2 instead of the 3.2L version.
Enjoy your new acquisition and I wish you countless miles of peaceful and pleasurable ownership.
Thanks, guys. The reasons for my buying 2.2L (as compared to 3.2L) are as follows :
  1. I neither do off-roading, nor racing. I always accelerate and decelerate gently. But even for those 'once in a while' occasions when I need very fast acceleration (say, to quickly overtake, or just to show off) the 2.2L has good enough punch.
  2. The 2.2L is lighter than the 3.2L -- the engine itself is lighter and absence of 4x4 mechanicals means less unnecessary weight to lug around. So the power to weight ratio is not very much less.
  3. Apart from lower buying price, maintenance and repair costs are also lower on the 2.2L.
  4. The 2.2L is a newer, more modern, more refined and quieter engine as compared to the old 3.2L.
  5. The 2.2L is not a gas guzzler.
  6. The 2.2L has a rear wheel drive. I like RWD because it is better for steep uphill climbs when weight of the car tends to shift more towards the rear giving better traction to rear wheels.
  7. With the recent introduction of sunroof on the 2.2L Titanium, the actual differences from the 3.2L are minimal except the 4x4 and off-road capabilities.

BTW, I test drove the 3.2L version only. 2.2L TD car was neither available in Jamshedpur, nor in Kolkata. I decided upon the 2.2L going purely by my own instinct, engine specifications (power, torque and RPM's where max power and max torque are available) and reviews on this thread and other ownership threads. Thankfully, my actual driving experience of the 2.2L has been even more positive than I anticipated. To be honest, I could not find much difference between the pick-up / punch of 2.2L and 3.2L till 100 KMPH, which is the max speed I have taken my new Endy to as running-in is in progress.

I did attempt to start an ownership thread soon after buying the Endy but it is still languishing in the Assembly Line section as the venerable Mods opined that it is not 'comprehensive' enough. An old timer like me takes at least 6 months of ownership plus 5,000 KM of actual driving to write a review which is anywhere near comprehensive. So I guess we will have to wait for my ownership thread to go online.

During my maiden drive from Jamshedpur to Kolkata (300 KM).
Ford Endeavour : Official Review-dsc_4624-medium.jpg
debuda is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 15th April 2018, 00:23   #2958
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, guys. The reasons for my buying 2.2L (as compared to 3.2L) are as follows
Thank you sir, for another concise and detailed decision process list.
Clears a few doubts I had regarding the 2.2 vis-a-vis the 3.2L

This official thread in its opening posts mentions that this vehicle is not friendly to elderly people while climbing in or out of the cabin. Having gone through your XUV 500 thread, I remembered that one of the first accessories you purchased was a stepping stool for Ma'am's mother.

Does this vehicle also require some sort of aid for elderly people. Reason I ask is that along with the CR-V, this vehicle is one contender I would consider plonking so much money to buy. But what holds me back is that my elderly parents will have to struggle to ingress and egress the vehicle.

I hope to read your ownership review after you have munched a lot of miles and gotten a few travelogues with the vehicle.
Ithaca is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2018, 08:15   #2959
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks, guys. The reasons for my buying 2.2L (as compared to 3.2L) are as follows :

The 2.2L is a newer, more modern, more refined and quieter engine as compared to the old 3.2L.
That's interesting, can you point the source of this information?

Quote:
Does this vehicle also require some sort of aid for elderly people. Reason I ask is that along with the CR-V, this vehicle is one contender I would consider plonking so much money to buy. But what holds me back is that my elderly parents will have to struggle to ingress and egress the vehicle.
Apart from the side steps & perhaps the grab handle nothing more. And it is a very tall vehicle so do take your parents along if that's the primary criterion. Also, factor less than average comfort on the middle bench on endeavour.

Why don't you consider Innova for this purpose? Otherwise, CRV will be lower and comfortable but the new model should be here shortly.

https://www.autocarindia.com/car-rev...t-drive-405931

Last edited by Turbanator : 15th April 2018 at 08:24.
Turbanator is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 15th April 2018, 08:58   #2960
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

The 2.2L is a newer, more modern, more refined and quieter engine as compared to the old 3.2L.
I think you might be confused with the 2.2 PSA based engine. That is the newer engine. The 2.2 TDCi in Endeavour has been around since 2005.

Infact the 3.2 TDCi was introduced only in 2015 in US then Europe.

Also, the 2.2 TDCI is pretty much end of it's lifecycle. Ford already announced that the old 2.2 TDCI will be replaced by the new 2.0L Ecoblue Diesel engine.

More details here: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/inter...el-engine.html (Ford reveals 2.0L EcoBlue diesel engine)

Hopefully this engine replaces the 2.2L Endeavour next year.
Vid6639 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 15th April 2018, 11:01   #2961
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post

Why don't you consider Innova for this purpose? Otherwise, CRV will be lower and comfortable but the new model should be here shortly.
Thank you Sir, for your reply regarding side steps and grab handles being the only means for ingress and egress.
Will add the Innova to the mix of vehicles I am short listing along with the new CR-V.
Old 16th April 2018, 09:02   #2962
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionX View Post
In case if anyone is interested, few Endeavour 2.2 MT available in Chennai used car market now.

Some of the pictures posted in the ad look suspicious though.

https://www.olx.in/chennai/q-ford-endeavour/

There is a lot of fake ads in olx with tempting offers. One reason I could think of such phishing is baited to trap people who are being tempted and use their contacts for other illegally tempting offers. The other reason is to simply collect phone numbers for marketing offers.
I wanted to confirm this, used a number that I never use, called few of such mouth-licking impossible offers, and as I expected the call goes but no one picks up. Even if they pick up they won't speak. Now they get filtered numbers of the target audience for their future marketing.

Noticeably all these ads are for luxury goods, that comes with an impractical price tag. We need to beware of such monsters.
agbenny is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th April 2018, 09:36   #2963
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you sir, for another concise and detailed decision process list.
Clears a few doubts I had regarding the 2.2 vis-a-vis the 3.2L

This official thread in its opening posts mentions that this vehicle is not friendly to elderly people while climbing in or out of the cabin. Having gone through your XUV 500 thread, I remembered that one of the first accessories you purchased was a stepping stool for Ma'am's mother.

I hope to read your ownership review after you have munched a lot of miles and gotten a few travelogues with the vehicle.
The Endeavour is indeed a high SUV and ingress / egress for elderly people is a bit difficult. However, all versions of Endeavour come with factory-fitted Side Stepper (foot steps) and big grab handles which make things somewhat easier. I would strongly recommend that you should take your elderly parents to the showroom and let them physically try out the ingress / egress using the Side Stepper and grab handles. If it is a deal breaker for them, so be it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
That's interesting, can you point the source of this information?

[/url]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
I think you might be confused with the 2.2 PSA based engine. That is the newer engine. The 2.2 TDCi in Endeavour has been around since 2005.

Infact the 3.2 TDCi was introduced only in 2015 in US then Europe.
I studied many old brochures in respect of Ford Ranger and Everest which have been using the Duratorq 2.2L and 3.2L engines for many years. I figured the following :
  1. To the best of my knowledge and belief, the 2.2L (2198 CC) Duratorq engine has been around since 2005 and the 3.2L (3198 CC) since 2006. Please correct me if I am wrong.
  2. Whereas the 2.2L has undergone many tweaks over the years in its tuning, leading to different power / torque output and characteristics, the 3.2L has undergone very few changes. I could not find very old brochures, but I observed that at least from 2012 onwards, the peak power / torque of the 3.2L has been 147 KW / 470 Nm and the same state of tune continues even today. On the other hand, the present state of tune (118 KW / 385 Nm) of the 2.2L was introduced worldwide only around 2015.
  3. Even when the 2.2L was re-tuned to 118 KW, peak power was available at 3,700 RPM. The ability to deliver peak power at much lower 3,200 RPM came only around 2017, obviously with another re-tune.

This January 2013 Ford Ranger brochure specifies 3.2L as 147 KW / 470 Nm and 2.2L as 110 KW (@3700 RPM) / 375 Nm.
Ford Endeavour : Official Review-ranger-jan-2013.jpg

This 2015 Ford Ranger brochure specifies 3.2L as 147 KW / 470 Nm but 2.2L as 118 KW (@3700 RPM) / 385 Nm.
Ford Endeavour : Official Review-ford-ranger-uk-2015.jpg

This 2015 Ford Ranger brochure highlights extra 10 PS of power and extra 10 Nm of torque for the 2.2L but 3.2L continues with 147 KW / 470 Nm.
Ford Endeavour : Official Review-engines.jpg

This 2017 Ford Everest brochure specifies peak power of 2.2L at 3200 RPM. Indian Ford Endeavour engines have this very same state of tune.
Ford Endeavour : Official Review-engines-philipines-may-2017.jpg

The above information led me to infer that the present state of tune of the 2.2L is much more recent as compared to that of the 3.2L. Furthermore, I have personally experienced that the NVH of the 3.2L is way more than that of the 2.2L.
Attached Thumbnails
Ford Endeavour : Official Review-ford-myanmar.jpg  

debuda is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 17th April 2018, 18:07   #2964
BHPian

Hello All,
Need help with this issue, not sure if anyone has faced such a problem so far.

Issue:
There is some sort of a squeaking noise coming from tires, can't place it from which tire.
this happens after a long drive (more than 200 Kms). sometimes the noise is audible even when the car is just rolling (without breaks pressed).

Additional information.
3.2L March 2016 model
Stock MRF tires
about 20K Kms on the odo
all services done on time, latest being in this Jan, had break pads replaced and also tire rotation and wheel alignment done.
services done at Elite ford Bangalore.

Thanks in advance for the help.
Old 17th April 2018, 20:10   #2965
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sknair View Post
Hello All,

Issue:
There is some sort of a squeaking noise coming from tires, can't place it from which tire.
this happens after a long drive (more than 200 Kms). sometimes the noise is audible even when the car is just rolling (without breaks pressed).
Difficult to pinpoint with so little information but if it is a Tyre issue, take it to Nikhil (Madhus) and they can check. I doubt it is a tyre issue as squeaking is not a "normal" sound for tyres.

It is also possible that one of the brake pads is overheating after a long drive and swelling "slightly" to scrub against the discs. Check discs for scouring marks. There have been known issues of cracking with brake pads. Mine were changed under warranty at 6k kms. I did not notice but the guys at service noticed and promptly changed all 4 sets.

Last edited by nareshtrao : 17th April 2018 at 20:11.
nareshtrao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2018, 11:27   #2966
BHPian

Quote:
Hello All,

Issue:
Is the sound coming from when you go through some uneven surfaces. If so I have noticed this issue and what we have found out is that it comes from the shock absorber and as per the technician it is fine, because the air being pushed out from the shocks and the sound is an after effect of that .
Old 18th April 2018, 13:54   #2967
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anumod View Post
Is the sound coming from when you go through some uneven surfaces. If so I have noticed this issue and what we have found out is that it comes from the shock absorber and as per the technician it is fine, because the air being pushed out from the shocks and the sound is an after effect of that .
The sound comes on even surfaces as well, at a slow speed also.
Old 18th April 2018, 19:34   #2968
BHPian

Quote:
Hello All,
I had a similar issue after the first brake pad replacement during the 25000 kms service. I noticed it almost immediately after driving out of the service center. It was a very mild squeaking noise which was audible only when the windows were down. It was coming from the right rear wheel. It was not a continuous sound and was pretty moody. I could hear it only at times and it was clearly a metallic noise from the rotor.
I took it back to the service center after a couple of days.
Apparently, while fitting the brake pads they had not fitted a clip properly and it was touching the rotor at times.
The noise had disappeared when they handed the car back.
No harm in getting the car checked at the service center to see if they made a similar mess up. It took only about 30 mins to rectify.
SCORPION is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2018, 19:08   #2969
Senior - BHPian

New 2018 Ford Endeavour Facelift Details emerge.

• Along with a subtle facelift, it will get new engines, a 10-speed automatic transmission and new features.
  • Along with current 2.2 TDCI & 3.2 TDCI, Ford will offer the facelifted Ford Endeavour with not two but four diesel engines.
  • Will get a Range Topping New 2.0 TDCI Bi-Turbo Engine which will have power output of 213PS & 500Nm of Torque.
  • Also on offer will be a New 2.0 TDCI Engine developing 180PS & 420Nm of Torque.
  • Current 2.2 Diesel will be detuned (150PS instead of 160PS) and will be base engine in the lineup.
  • On addition to the existing 6 Speed AT, there will be a new 10 Speed AT which will be exclusive to the 2.0 Bi-Turbo Diesel only.
  • To increase Fuel Efficiency, Engine Start-Stop will be on offer.
  • In terms of features, it will get Passive Keyless Entry & Push Button Start/Stop.
  • Launch expected sometime in August-September 2018.

Source
CarguyNish is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2018, 23:29   #2970
BANNED

While the other upgrades seem in line with the facelift, the 2 liter engine and the 10 speed GB dont.

What I infer from that is that even if it is launched here in India, it will be priced significantly higher than the current lineup AND the customer will again be confused on what to buy, 2.2, 3.2, 2.0....6 speed, 10 speed, 2WD, 4WD...

Why cant Ford India have a clean product strategy?
n.devdath is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed