Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 12th September 2018, 13:24   #3376
Senior - BHPian

Re: Ford Endeavour : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Nope, you said that you would have bought the Endeavour, NOT merely considered it. Here's your post for easy reference.

Coming back to the tires (now this is getting boring and kinda lame), any product is considered by its buyers as a combination of what it offers and what it doesn't and the monetary value/relevance/importance/perception thereof....
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruzbehxyz View Post
Well you yourself have admitted that if you need a large SUV, you will choose the Endeavour.

Sir, I was answering this "will" and not "choose". Hope that clears.
Old 12th September 2018, 13:25   #3377
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If your dealer told you or you believe that tires alone are putting off people from buying the Endeavour over the Fortuner, then the dealer doesn't know how to answer the questions related to them and you too have formed your opinion based on something which is less than 0.28% of the vehicle cost.

Thanks. That's exactly my point. The dealer may not even have driven the Endeavour and formed an opinion about it just based on tyres and people are blindly following it.
The people who are buying the Fortuner are buying it for the brand value, the excellent service of Toyota and that its a proven vehicle worldwide.
Coming to the Endeavour, even if I have to again buy it and Ford again gives MRF tyres, I would still go for it, as I know what I am spending on and would not blindly listen to some dealer who wants to promote the Ecosport and blindly speak about another car from the same manufacturer.

Dear friends, let's close this so called discussion here, as the discussion is just moving around in circles. To know more about the Endeavour and feel it, you have to own one and simply not believe what a dealer tells you.
The comparison between Endeavour and Fortuner is never ending and all people will have their own views, and that should be left to the experts to decide . On the other hand, I also respect the decision of owners who have bought the Fortuner. It's just that the Endeavour has a niche above and cannot be compared/ degraded for bad tyres.

Last edited by ruzbehxyz : 12th September 2018 at 13:35.
ruzbehxyz is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th September 2018, 13:35   #3378
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruzbehxyz View Post
If I am spending 2 lakhs or 40 lakhs on my vehicle, I really don't care about what others think even if the tyres are MRF.

As said earlier, MRF tyres are not that good for off-roading but I am quite happy with them on road and will change to better tyres after about 25k kilometres.

To everything, there is a reason. Why had Ford cut short here, because the Endeavour is an expensive affair for them and they had to match the price of the Fortuner or else the sales will be very very poor. Had there been no Fortuner in India, the Endeavour would have easily been priced around 45 lakhs. Please compare the prices of both vehicles abroad.
I can vouch for this. When I was buying, the fact that this came with MRFs did not bother me much. As other rightly pointed out, the overall package was what I was buying and I felt I could change the tyres once I got out of the showroom.

i did my research and then was advised by some good friends on this Forum (including the one I always buy tyres for all my cars from) that it is waste of money and the Wanderers would do just fine and I can consider changing after say 25k instead of spending upfront (Don't burn money is what one good friend who knows his tyres well said).

I followed the advice and I must say I am pleasantly surprised with Wanderers. While they may not be in the same bracket as Geolanders, they have been very good otherwise with pretty much good performance in most areas like grip, road noise, tread wear etc. I say this after 20k on the truck and through fair bit of terrain as well in patches.

It is worth mentioning that I have Yokohama on all my other cars and despite that I am saying this.

Also I am certain I will replace with Geolander G015s when I am done with the current Wanderers. Despite all this, I can not complain about Wanderers.

Perhaps others who have run some miles on this truck with Wanderers may also say the same.

And the point made by ruzbehxyz is right. If not for the benchmark of Fortuner in Indian market, Ford could have easily priced it at 45 L (50+ on road) and would have found takers for this Ranger Raptor and Range Rover (Ford owned Landrover before they sold to Tatas) pedigreed vehicle. They never were chasing 2k a month numbers and the current numbers would not have been affected too much if these were priced at 45L thereabouts.

Last edited by nareshtrao : 12th September 2018 at 13:56.
nareshtrao is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 12th September 2018, 13:36   #3379
BHPian

Its been 2 months since I bought my Endy 3.2. Absolutely happy with the vehicle except for the ride quality which I think is bit harsh. I checked here in this thread as well where you folks mentioned that it rides superior compared to majority of 7 seaters and also Ford service did not find anything faulty! So guess I have to make peace with the ride quality.

Now my odo stands at 2300 KMs and I want to start mild/intermediate off-roading as I have never done it before. Any recommendation on how to and where to do it near Bangalore? Are there any off-roading groups in Bangalore active on WhatsApp? Thanks for your help!
Acelerar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th September 2018, 14:11   #3380
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acelerar View Post
So guess I have to make peace with the ride quality.
Are there any off-roading groups in Bangalore active on WhatsApp? Thanks for your help!
The ride isn't as pliant, as say the Hexa but that is what gives you the kind of handling you get. Also, what tire pressures do you maintain? Try 31 all round and it should make a difference.

Bangalore has many offroading clubs but most of them are focused towards hard core offroading to which I wouldn't subject a luxury SUV.

There is a WhatsApp group as well, send me your number and I'll add you to it.
n.devdath is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th September 2018, 14:24   #3381
BHPian

Quote:
The ride isn't as pliant, as say the Hexa but that is what gives you the kind of handling you get.....
Thank you. I maintain 32 PSI.
I will PM my number to you to add to whatsapp group
Old 12th September 2018, 14:33   #3382
BHPian

Quote:
Coming back to the tires (now this is getting boring and kinda lame), any product is considered by its buyers as a combination of what it offers and what it doesn't and the monetary value/relevance/importance/perception thereof.

Apart from this, as far as I remember Fortuner 4wd came with HT tires and many owners have switched to AT or better brands. In that case it is a bigger problem getting HT tires in an off-road specific vehicle.

Last edited by roby_dk : 12th September 2018 at 14:37.
roby_dk is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th September 2018, 01:55   #3383
BHPian

My car has now completed 34k kms on the MRFs. I frankly didn't have the budget to upgrade to better tyres after I bought the car. It didn't make sense to change the tyres after they ran a couple of thousand kilometers. I intend to change them around the 45 to 50k mark.

90% of my driving has been on good roads and if I have anything to complain about, its the noise. I have had 3 punctures unfortunately on the same tyre. All the 3 were due to big nails. Side walls are ok. No issues with grip, at least in my experience. Tread wear is not too bad and look good for another 20k at least. I check the pressure regularly and only need to top up once a month. Ride comfort, in my opinion, a couple of psi up/down can swing it both ways. So my 2 cents to prospective Endeavour customers - these tyres are not bad. There may be better options. But what I mean to say is that you don't have to lose sleep over it if you don't have the budget for it.

Now, they say ignorance is bliss. My friends who have Endeavours too, haven't changed from stock. I know a lot of people here recommend an upgrade. May be if I drive/sit in an Endeavour with a different set of tyres and I find them better, I might decide to swap these MRFs earlier. Until then MRF jindabad!

Both MRF and Ford plants are in Chennai. Saving on logistics too may be?
SCORPION is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 13th September 2018, 07:22   #3384
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCORPION View Post
But what I mean to say is that you don't have to lose sleep over it if you don't have the budget for it...... I know a lot of people here recommend an upgrade.
I guess 90-95% of the buyers should be with the stock tyres..even a majority of them would go with the same tyres when its due for a change. Obviously it should work fine, as the Company would have thought through it well.

When you want to improve the quality where ever you could & have a budget, the suggestions in forums are awesome. I had made it a habit of upgrading stock tyres only after reading posts on the same & it was Yoko's for endy as well on delivery

Stock MRF tyre is 11,500/- and buy back price is 8500/-. So with the upgrade actually you lose out Rs.3000/- per tyre. 2,600 per tyre for upgrade from MRF to Yoko's. Overall its 22.5k

If we want to upgrade, its better do it on delivery. Else we should stick with the stocks until its really due for a change.
Surprise is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 13th September 2018, 14:27   #3385

After all this great discussion about tyres, I finally hope that this puts to conclusion for a lot of people who'll read this later.

Let's not let already well performing tyres come in the way of already a superior product in its segment. Now we'll always have buyers upgrading to better set, but that's a personal preference in my opinion, and the manufacturer having selected MRF set must have selected it after considering all the options available, that I'm pretty sure of.

There are musings over various features/non-features of the car over the course of this thread, for example the missing struts, the non-auto folding side mirrors, non-availability of LED headlamps, absence of telescopic steering, etc etc. If you need 10 reasons to not buy the Endy, you might end up with 50. But the general consensus I've seen here on the thread and elsewhere is its the best product/car in the segment and sometimes even above its segment.

Hope we don't let the excuses of not buying Endeavour come in its way of actual value it provides to its owners and prospective owners looking for an overall great car and service.

P.S.: Am sure MRF doesn't have a premium brand image anywhere in INDIA, not just one particular state, but they are by far a really good tyre manufacturer, having used them in 2 of the cars I've owned now without complaints. Sadly I can't compare it to the GoodYears that I have on my sedan, since its like apples to oranges, but I'd never buy Goodyear again based on my experience with them.
Thanks for the info @sandeepmdas , I'll try not to be swayed by premium tyre brands in kerala, and purely base my decision on genuine usage experiences by owners here.

On a separate topic, I wanted to know if anyone has been able to switch out their high beam halogens with LEDs ?

I've been able to swap the front fog lamps with cree led fogs, and the difference is world's apart, specially in side visibility, the endy now covers atleast 50mtrs on both the sides with light.

I tried fitting the same spec LED lights as high beams, but the inner casing/design comes in the way of the heatsink of the lamp, thereby not letting me replace the halos.

Last edited by Eddy : 13th September 2018 at 15:23. Reason: Merged
dragunov11 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th September 2018, 15:41   #3386
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragunov11 View Post
On a separate topic, I wanted to know if anyone has been able to switch out their high beam halogens with LEDs ?
Not yet. I switched to Osram Night breaker for High Beam and Philips H8 for Foglamps withing one month of my purchase.

Quote:
I've been able to swap the front fog lamps with cree led fogs, and the difference is world's apart
Thanks for posting. My fog lamps are not working after the recent mishap maybe the bulbs blew off after the impact. I was about to order them again but considering LED to be better and brighter, I should got for them. Can you please share the link and price from where you ordered them, also confirm if it is simple plug and play unit.

Request to all owners, please feel free to share any sort of modifications/upgrades you are performing or planning for the benefit of the community.
roby_dk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th September 2018, 15:54   #3387

@roby_dk Here are the lamps : https://www.amazon.in/Tarsier-SHILAN-QUALITY-3600LM-BRIGHTER/dp/B071ZSK2BT/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1536834055&sr=8-7&keywords=h8+led+cree

They might be a bit costly, but work great, been working in my sedan for over 2 years, and in my endy for around an year. I swapped them within one month of the purchase.

For the high beams, I've done the same, osram night breakers.

And yes, fog leds are a plug and play unit.

Last edited by dragunov11 : 13th September 2018 at 16:16. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please edit your previous post if re-posting within 30 minutes. Thanks.
dragunov11 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th September 2018, 19:31   #3388
Senior - BHPian

Found this exciting video on YouTube. Although not directly involved with the Endeavour, it still highlights some unknown facts of Ford as a company.

ruzbehxyz is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th September 2018, 13:36   #3389
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragunov11 View Post
@roby_dk Here are the lamps :
Thanks, Ordered them from Amazon, hope they are original as they are not coming under Prime. Not sure but I generally feel the items listed under Amazon prime section are from trusted and verified sellers. Arriving on 17-18 September, will confirm once I get them installed.

Can we upgrade low beam lamps as well? If we replace them with LED's can we expect more brightness. I don't like to drive with High beams at all specially in city and feel low beam lamps are not enough for me at least.

Last edited by roby_dk : 14th September 2018 at 13:43.
Old 14th September 2018, 16:36   #3390
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roby_dk View Post
Can we upgrade low beam lamps as well? If we replace them with LED's can we expect more brightness. I don't like to drive with High beams at all specially in city and feel low beam lamps are not enough for me at least.
I have Osram night breakers on high beam, which is just about adequate and Osram HIDs 4300 k on the low beam projectors, which are good. But it could have been better. Stock fog lamps.
SCORPION is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed