Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2018, 14:47   #3406
Team-BHP Support

Re: Ford Endeavour : Official Review

Please excuse my curiosity, but what would one gain by knowing that my vehicle can fill say 60 liters [irrespective of what manual says] when I am about to hit reserve or am low on fuel.

I know all you have been driving for long and have been driving for many kilometers but I [personally] would prefer not to heat my SUV's fuel pump with low fuel and or clog its injectors when it begins to search and sip that last drop of fuel.

Stick with a reputed fuel pump, do a check if you wish to by measurement and filter paper [for petrol] and that should be fair enough.
Sheel is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th September 2018, 15:21   #3407
BANNED

Endeavour user manual specifies a fuel run dry protection feature, which says that the engine goes into misfire mode when distance to empty indicator goes to 0. Under misfire conditions, excessive exhaust temperatures can damage the catalytic converter, the fuel system, interior floor coverings, and possibly cause a fire.
chaudh2s is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 18th September 2018, 17:13   #3408
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mu009 View Post
Nah, I don't think he was fleecing. With reserve and fuel lines, I think it'll be about that much - as I said, they vehicle reached the pump just in time - everything was probably dry by then.
This is debatable. But let's leave it at that.

Forgive me for being pedantic, but you shouldn't be clicking pictures in a bunk. You may claim that your phone was on airplane mode. But these phones are not intrinsically safe and any spark caused internally including flashes can ignite a volatile mixture. Trust me, I work on LNG ships and mobiles and fuel vapour are not to be mixed - period. Not going into further details.

You seem to have taken pictures at close range in 2 different pumps. Don't do it again, for your own good. We don't need to see proof of actual figures. We trust you enough and will take your word for it.
SCORPION is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th September 2018, 19:59   #3409
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCORPION View Post
This is debatable. But let's leave it at that
No no no, I wasn't even debating the point - as I said in my next post, I too feel pump tampering is most likely.

Quote:
Forgive me for being pedantic, but you shouldn't be clicking pictures in a bunk. You may claim that your phone was on airplane mode. But these phones are not intrinsically safe and any spark caused internally including flashes can ignite a volatile mixture. Trust me, I work on LNG ships and mobiles and fuel vapour are not to be mixed - period. Not going into further details.

You seem to have taken pictures at close range in 2 different pumps. Don't do it again, for your own good. We don't need to see proof of actual figures. We trust you enough and will take your word for it.
Concern for safety isn't pedantry sir! I thank you for raising the point. And apologising to me for being pedantic is like apologising to a mosquito for buzzing in its ear.
It was something I was simply not aware of - I only knew of no usage at bunks as in, no calls etc - I guess I never thought it through - no usage means no usage.
And no, I won't claim my phone was in flight mode, because it wasn't.
And they weren't for proof (I am pedantic, but I'm not that pedantic) - just for my records, since I don't like to have bills printed out. I like to maintain a life time fuel log for all my vehicles.
I guess I was being penny wise, pound foolish there. Will simply have it printed next time.
Thanks for making me alive to my stupidity.
Cheers!
Mu009 is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 18th September 2018, 20:10   #3410
BHPian

Since there is some discussion on noise, I thought I would add 2 paisa worth information.

The Active Noise cancellation will not cancel tyre and wind noise. ANC is only a predictive model. Which means it needs to know the frequency response coming through the body structure, then in anticipation it creates opposing sound waves, exactly in phase with the incoming noise. Hence cancelling out, inside the cabin.
The few predictive noises are engine, transmission and structure borne noise. Please note that all vibration in the any vehicle is mainly from two sources, engine and road. Road noise and other non-predictive noise like wind etc are reduced (dampened) through passive noise control, which means heavy dose of physical sound insulation. But predictive noise is ‘cancelled’ through ANC. I am sure Endy would have a very good engine mount isolation as well, to reduce the noise/vibration transmitted through to the body.

I remember someone posting a side by side picture of a torn down door of Endy and Fortuner. Endy was loaded with sound insulation, while Fortuner was naked as a new born. Such insulation does add some weight, but makes a huge difference. If some of you feel that you could still have some more noise reduction, then go for the 3M sound insulation mats. They do a pretty good job but I guess you will be adding some 20-30 kgs. Additionally change the tyre, go for a bit softer ones to dampen the road vibration transmitted through the tyre into the body.

If you are an extremist, then plug all the joint gaps in body, between fender, hood, bumper, door etc.

Last edited by Eddy : 21st September 2018 at 13:44. Reason: Spacing for better readability
Czarcarsm is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 19th September 2018, 10:58   #3411
Senior - BHPian

https://www.theverge.com/2018/9/18/1...rty-navigation

Quote:
With iOS 12, Apple added support for third-party mapping services, namely Google Maps, to its CarPlay service, a much-needed feature that’s been a long time coming. That means, starting today, you no longer have to solely use Apple Maps when connecting your iPhone to your car’s infotainment and navigation center.

With Google Maps version 5.0, the update for which should be available for iOS users right now, you’ll get the ability to sync Google Maps navigation to your vehicle’s built-in display.
Surprise is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2018, 11:09   #3412
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaudh2s View Post
Endeavour user manual specifies a fuel run dry protection feature, which says that the engine goes into misfire mode when distance to empty indicator goes to 0. Under misfire conditions, excessive exhaust temperatures can damage the catalytic converter, the fuel system, interior floor coverings, and possibly cause a fire.

Right but not exactly. A protection system cannot be put in place to damage a unit. Actually it shuts down the engine to prevent air in fuel line. As a result cranking the engine after refueling is easier compared to other diesel cars. Refer below extract from manual.

Fuel Run Dry Protection Feature

Your vehicle is fitted with a fuel run dry protection system to prevent engine damage. The vehicle will enter an engine misfire mode and shutdown at a pre determined distance after the Distance to Empty becomes zero.
Refill the fuel tank with a minimum of 4 L diesel before resetting the feature.

Reset the fuel run dry protection feature by following the below steps:
1. Insert the ignition key and turn to position II (Ignition).
2. Hold the key in the position for 20 seconds and turn back to 0 (Off).
3. Repeat the steps three times to complete the reset procedure.

Last edited by Wanderers : 19th September 2018 at 11:12.
Wanderers is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 19th September 2018, 11:31   #3413
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcarsm View Post
I remember someone posting a side by side picture of a torn down door of Endy and Fortuner. Endy was loaded with sound insulation, while Fortuner was naked as a new born. Such insulation does add some weight, but makes a huge difference. If some of you feel that you could still have some more noise reduction, then go for the 3M sound insulation mats. They do a pretty good job but I guess you will be adding some 20-30 kgs. Additionally change the tyre, go for a bit softer ones to dampen the road vibration transmitted through the tyre into the body.
It was me who posted the same, in case others have not noticed it earlier refer below post.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post4350911 (Ford Endeavour : Official Review)

It is quite clear that Ford has definitely put some additional efforts to make the cabin super silent. I am planning to upgrade my speakers and sub in near future and maybe going for the additional damping if required on doors and around the sub-woofer area which vibrates a lot on max volume.

Got a message from Anurag Mehrotra where a Ford owner had major crash when his car fell into valley, all passengers survived with minor injuries.
See below pic:
Attached Thumbnails
Ford Endeavour : Official Review-img20180914wa0003.jpg  

roby_dk is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 20th September 2018, 21:38   #3414
BHPian

Quote:
Another thing I was planning to leave for later, but since there's a chance my rationale may aid your decision, allow me to go ahead with some poorly ordered points regarding the changes.
Thanks a ton for such a detailed reply. I drive an XUV W8 which goes on fabulously after over 5 years and almost-1,20,000 kms, so am not in hurry on that front. The risk is how much price will go up. I'm told that there is not much inventories of Endeavours at Dealership and hence pre-facelift discount on the current models may not exist in all probabilities.

Let's see. Fingers crossed.
Quote:
Regarding not going for a tyre upgrade, there is nothing interesting, just tedious detail, hence I'm still holding back a little on elaborating. Since it has been broached in the previous few pages, I'll say this to all those on the fence, if logistics permit, do change them.
Thanks again for this feedback. Usually, I don't tinker with OEM-supplied tyres or any items, but your this post makes a serious case of tyre change at the time of delivery itself or immediately after delivery.

Mod Note: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 20th September 2018 at 22:10.
Old 21st September 2018, 09:52   #3415
Senior - BHPian

Is it advised to use those off-roading modes at some intervals or it does not make any difference to the life/reliability of those mechanism/software, if left unused.

I don't have the need to use any of those modes on my daily drive nor iam interested to participate in any of the events, to put those modes into work (its more for the 3.2 ltr engine)
Surprise is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st September 2018, 10:13   #3416
BHPian

Ford Endeavour : Official Review

Update: I guess some of you already noticed this, Google maps are now available in Apple CarPlay with iOS12. You need to update Google map as well.
This is a fabulous news for folks who were forced to use Android with Sync3, just to get maps as Apple map was unavailable in India. I guess now it is really useless to get Ford installed maps.

Last edited by Czarcarsm : 21st September 2018 at 10:18.
Old 21st September 2018, 10:36   #3417
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
Is it advised to use those off-roading modes at some intervals or it does not make any difference to the life/reliability of those mechanism/software, if left unused.
Same here I have not been into any off-road excursion from the day I bought my car. In first month I tried to engage the low range mode to climb up a footpath while parking my vehicle in market area, other than that never switched to any other modes.

Ideally things should work fine but we must engage these modes every month just to make sure everything is working as expected, after all there are lot of electronics mated to mechanical parts which might fail unknowingly.

20,000 km Service Update:
Car went to Gautam Budh Ford, Noida for 20k scheduled service. Booked an appointment one day before to avail the pick and drop facility from office.

Below tasks were performed:
  • Alignment, Balancing & Rotation - 1080
  • Oil Filter - 354
  • Brake Fluid - 592
  • Engine oil - 2567
  • Service charge - 2474
  • Gasket drain plug and others - 1036
Total Charges: 8103

Initially was charged for some lubrication charges and other goodies which I don't remember. I told SA to remove the same and gave reference of his boss, all charges were waived off and only required things were done. I insisted on changing other things like AC filter, Air filter, Fuel filter etc. to which he strictly said it is not at all required. Vehicle was dropped at my office on time in around 6-7 hours and I made the payment via Paytm app. Overall I am happy with the service quality and detailed washing/cleaning of vehicle.
roby_dk is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st September 2018, 13:17   #3418
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
Not too sure. The normal mode suffices for most, if not all, minor off roading I try to do. I actually use the 4x4 low, may be, once in 3 or 4 months while driving to a small plot of land I own near Kotagiri with no proper access road yet.

Frankly, I too have similar doubts and we may have an endless discussion on this. But what I do is, I use every mode for a short while every now and then. May be only for 100 mts, but I try it out at least once a month or so. Rear differential lock I try on a straight stretch. Hill Descent Control whenever I encounter a really steep slope, just for the heck of it.

Just so my Endeavour doesn't forget what she (he - actually would love to address it as a male, but it just doesn't seem grammatically correct for some reason) is actually built for doing. Just so that she doesn't become too lazy and start shuddering at very thought of stepping off the tarmac. I like to see her as an animal, what animal I am yet to decide. A horse, or a rhino or a bull (she bull?)?

But you see, coming to think of it, there are several things you expect to work whether it is used during regular use or not, like ABS, traction control, airbags etc. So I guess, even if you don't use them, they should work. But trying out, whatever you can, every once in a while, gives you some peace of mind knowing they will work when you need them.
SCORPION is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st September 2018, 14:47   #3419
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
there are several things you expect to work whether it is used during regular use or not, like ABS, traction control, airbags etc. So I guess, even if you don't use them, they should work. But trying out, whatever you can, every once in a while, gives you some peace of mind knowing they will work when you need them.
Makes sense

I got few opportunities to try it out, but the thought of getting scrapped somewhere or even the fear of mild scratches (black colour) is keeping me away from driving it into areas where the roads are very narrow with thick bush on sides

Will put them into use on next opportunity for the heck of it.
Surprise is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st September 2018, 23:44   #3420
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roby_dk View Post

20,000 km Service Update:
Car went to Gautam Budh Ford, Noida for 20k scheduled service. Booked an appointment one day before to avail the pick and drop facility from office.

Below tasks were performed:
  • Alignment, Balancing & Rotation - 1080
  • Oil Filter - 354
  • Brake Fluid - 592
  • Engine oil - 2567
  • Service charge - 2474
  • Gasket drain plug and others - 1036
Total Charges: 8103
Very Very reasonable
Engine oil is also quite reasonable. Is it Semi-synthetic?

Most Viewed